Bill Cosby says Trayvon Martin case is about gun ownership, not race

Apr 16, 2012 Full story: Christian Science Monitor 23

Comedian Bill Cosby says the Trayvon Martin case is not about racism, it is about gun ownership.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Louiston

Des Moines, IA

#1 Apr 16, 2012
Bill Cosby is wrong. Again.
Black Man From The South

Alexandria, VA

#2 Apr 16, 2012
I had to take my son to LA for medical treatment. While there I got a chance to look at the mansions that some stars live in. Then I notice a little sign on the lawns and at the front doors that read, Caution Patrolled by Armed Guards.
Part 2, Cosby calls police, that is if the Armed Guards haven't gotten there and I call police who has no Armed Guards, who do you think really better be armed? The answer is probably 10 Armed Guard or body guards to 0.
VET X3

Alexandria, VA

#3 Apr 16, 2012
Hey, Hey, Hey,
Who cares what you say?

“Pompous pontificator”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#4 Apr 16, 2012
I have always respected Bill for his fatherly advice to his brothas who believe that their place is to be dependent on the system and on others to care and feed them. He has always espoused that Black men should pull themselves up by the bootstraps and become independent, contributors to society. There are too-many Black ppl who keep themselves and their families from assimilating into American society as many of our European ancestors did. They perpetuate this culture of needing help and handouts instead of becoming educated and productive. Hence, the chronic Black on Black and White crime.
Bill is right about getting guns off the street; he can start with his-own kind who are gangsters and marauders assaulting and killing innocent citizens. But he needs to keep his mouth shut if he is proposing stealing FREEDOM from law abiding citizens who exercise their natural RIGHT to protect themselves and theirs. Rights are not given, they are held naturally...they are a birth-right. If Zimmerman jumped through hoops to satisfy Man's law to be sanctioned to carry a firearm, it is not for Bill to comment on that.

While this might not be judged a stand your ground case, trying to pressure lawmakers to infringe on my right to carry a weapon to defend myself from muggers, flash mobs and other mops who have nothing to live-for, is not going to solve the problem of crime. Crime is caused by criminals and always will be. Guns in the right hands is our only sure way to protect ourselves from criminals; the police can't do it. We need to be able to fight fire with fire. Those of us who take our safety seriously, need the tools available to defend ourselves. In war, the enemy has guns; would you send a soldier to war without a gun? This is no-different. As long as there are guns "on the street", I need mine close at hand. So Bill, you were an OK basketball player, and a good role model. But you fail at giving advice on freedom.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#5 Apr 16, 2012
Amen Bubbletoes!! Bill Cosby says a lot of good things that are to the point but here he wants to infringe on the rights of citizens exercising their rights. Gunplay in the street is not a good idea but getting injured or killed by an attacker is a worse idea. You can't shoot someone running away from you in the back but an attacker taking a round in the front is better than you getting the worst of it.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#6 Apr 17, 2012
The reason this incident went viral is because the Sanford Florida police chief claimed (deliberately lied) he could not make an arrest because of stand your ground law.

Cosby is an idiot. His unarmed kid was gunned down ??
OregunSux

Portland, OR

#7 Apr 17, 2012
Bubbletoes wrote:

Bill is right about getting guns off the street; he can start with his-own kind who are gangsters and marauders assaulting and killing innocent citizens.
I didn't know comedians were that well armed! You think Jay Leno has a gun arsenal along with his 300 cars?

I will have to remember that next time I get the urge to heckle one on the stage.
OregunSux

Portland, OR

#8 Apr 17, 2012
Louiston wrote:
Bill Cosby is wrong. Again.
Of course it is about gun ownership and gun carrying and gun toting.

If Zimmerman had not been carrying a gun with him he would have been much less likely to pursue Trayvon in the first place. Toting a gun is like liquid courage. It makes you blind to reality and much more likely to do something rash.

Case in point? Duh.

Zimmerman and Trayvon would both be much better off today had Zimmerman not been carrying a gun.
OregunSux

Portland, OR

#9 Apr 17, 2012
I suspect gun toting also increases testosterone and adrenaline making the toter dumber and angrier. That is such a bad combination in any situation.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#10 Apr 17, 2012
OregunSux wrote:
<quoted text>
If Zimmerman had not been carrying a gun with him he would have been much less likely to pursue Trayvon in the first place. Toting a gun is like liquid courage. It makes you blind to reality and much more likely to do something rash.
Case in point? Duh.
Zimmerman and Trayvon would both be much better off today had Zimmerman not been carrying a gun.
They would also be a lot better off if Taryvon had decided to "drive" to the store to get skittles, rather than suspiciously walk around in the rain.

They would also be better off if Trayvon had decided he should not try to kill Zimmerman by pounding his head into the ground.

As a test, ask a buddy to get a small but dense pillow. Sit down. Have your buddy hit you as hard as he can in the back of the head.
With a little pillow. A soft little pillow.

If you let him do that again, then you may have a point that banging someones head into the ground with both hands is not justification to shoot.

I await the results of that little test of reality.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

#11 Apr 17, 2012
OregunSux wrote:
I suspect gun toting also increases testosterone and adrenaline making the toter dumber and angrier. That is such a bad combination in any situation.
Unfortunately, you have a point.

As an armed citizen, we have a great obligation to see that things do not get our of hand.

Zimmerman obviously let things get out of hand.

He allowed a young thug to put him in a position where he needed to use deadly force. There were so many other paths to take. He chose poorly.

So did Trayvon.
Law

Omaha, NE

#12 Apr 17, 2012
OregunSux wrote:
<quoted text>
Case in point? Duh.
Why? Because YOU say so?
Law

Omaha, NE

#13 Apr 17, 2012
OregunSux wrote:
Aww, does that make you soil your pink thong?
So explain how a woman with a gun in her purse has increased testosterone levels.

“Pompous pontificator”

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#14 Apr 17, 2012
OregunSux wrote:
Very good point. As permitted gun toters, we have a responsibility to (try our best) to stay clear of trouble...period.

I would think this philosophy/POV should be part of every CCW training course; it was in mine. In a nutshell, you should not do anything with a gun that you wouldn't do without one. It should not embolden you to go to places you would not go with out it. It should not make you more comfortable getting into fights with strangers; to the contrary, it should make you less-likely to engage in trouble with others, shoot your munth-off etc.

Zimmerman may get off if SYG is judged valid in this case. But convicted or not, it seems to most observers that he did not show common sense by following TM. The trouble is not that he was armed, it was that he wasn't doing the smart thing. It's called Community 'watch', not community follow and engage.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#15 Apr 17, 2012
Here's a real good idea. How about the junior wanna be detectives on both sides of the argument just STFU. Allow the investigation do it's job. The media and a bunch of talking heads are not helping. If the investigation finds Zimmerman guilty or innocent so be it. Amen Good Idea
PdxSux

Portland, OR

#16 Apr 17, 2012
ZigmunnDroid wrote:
<quoted text>
They would also be a lot better off if Taryvon had decided to "drive" to the store to get skittles, rather than suspiciously walk around in the rain.
They would also be better off if Trayvon had decided he should not try to kill Zimmerman by pounding his head into the ground.
As a test, ask a buddy to get a small but dense pillow. Sit down. Have your buddy hit you as hard as he can in the back of the head.
With a little pillow. A soft little pillow.
If you let him do that again, then you may have a point that banging someones head into the ground with both hands is not justification to shoot.
I await the results of that little test of reality.
No car or pillow was in evidence. Pay attention to the story and not your bizarre interpretation of facts not in evidence.
PdxSux

Portland, OR

#17 Apr 17, 2012
Bubbletoes wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good point. As permitted gun toters, we have a responsibility to (try our best) to stay clear of trouble...period.
I would think this philosophy/POV should be part of every CCW training course; it was in mine. In a nutshell, you should not do anything with a gun that you wouldn't do without one. It should not embolden you to go to places you would not go with out it. It should not make you more comfortable getting into fights with strangers; to the contrary, it should make you less-likely to engage in trouble with others, shoot your munth-off etc.
Zimmerman may get off if SYG is judged valid in this case. But convicted or not, it seems to most observers that he did not show common sense by following TM. The trouble is not that he was armed, it was that he wasn't doing the smart thing. It's called Community 'watch', not community follow and engage.
I do not think it is within our conscious control.

Just as people do horrible things in a crowd or during a war that they would never think of doing as individuals or during peace time, the gun changes the context of the situation allowing for more aggressive and foolhardy behavior.

There is nothing wrong with being afraid, backing down, turning around, going for help. If you have a gun, the list of possible behaviors include threatening someone or shooting them.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#18 Apr 17, 2012
Joe Chit wrote:
Here's a real good idea. How about the junior wanna be detectives on both sides of the argument just STFU. Allow the investigation do it's job. The media and a bunch of talking heads are not helping. If the investigation finds Zimmerman guilty or innocent so be it. Amen Good Idea
Either way there will be a celebration of looting and property destruction. Find Zimmerman innocent and the flat screen televisons will grow feet from the burning stores. Find Zimmerman guilty and the same party will result.
OregonSux

Portland, OR

#19 Apr 17, 2012
Well at least it will be out in the open so those who do it have a tiny chance of being apprehended. This is unlike the banksters who do everything in a nice office at the top of a skyscraper in Manhattan hidden from the light of day...and all decency.

Average looter:$100
Average bankster:$100,000,000

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#20 Apr 18, 2012
PdxSux wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not think it is within our conscious control.
Just as people do horrible things in a crowd or during a war that they would never think of doing as individuals or during peace time, the gun changes the context of the situation allowing for more aggressive and foolhardy behavior.
There is nothing wrong with being afraid, backing down, turning around, going for help. If you have a gun, the list of possible behaviors include threatening someone or shooting them.
Can you say BULLY. People shouldn't have to back down because someone wants to be a bully. Stand your ground if you are in the right. If you are in the wrong be mature enough to apologize.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot 11 hr Independent1 9
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 21 hr obama crime syndi... 12,099
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision Dec 11 Vern5554566 4
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
Bill would stiffen background checks Dec 8 Independent1 3
SAFE Act PROTEST draws crowd in Lewis County (Jun '13) Dec 7 lowville resident 4
More from around the web