Trayvon Martin Shooting Shows Perils of Lax U.S. Gun Laws

Mar 20, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bloomberg

The Justice Department opened an investigation this week into the killing of Trayvon Martin, a 17-year-old high school student who was shot dead on Feb.

Comments
6,041 - 6,060 of 9,570 Comments Last updated Mar 21, 2014

“Show no Quarter !”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Justice wrote:
Point out one thing I wrote that is a lie. YOU CAN'T DO IT!
You have no idea of what I know or apparently what you just read in my post. My ex bf went through the police academy and is now a state trooper. I mentioned absolutely nothing about the military. Nor did I mention knowing anything about firearms use, other than what he told me POLICE OFFICERS are taught to do and not to do.
You seem upset...... wassamatter , run out of white Zinfendel ?

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

french louie wrote:
<quoted text>You seem upset...... wassamatter , run out of white Zinfendel ?
That is F-ing funny !
Justice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

I'm not upset at all. I think it's funny, kind of ridiculous, but funny that you'd call me a liar yet you can't show where I've lied even once. Typical.
So where does that put your credibility?

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>That sounds more like going after women more then anything else.
Oh!

We weren't talking about that?

:~)

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
Of course I have an argument. My opinion on our gun laws is my argument. That constitution that so many gun holders keep talking about gives me the right to voice my argument, opinion and concerns.
When the 2nd was written, we didn't have cell phones, and LE officers all around like we do now. The people (for the most part) were different then as well. They had morals and values taught from an early age, they were more mature, they understood responsibility, and knew about consequences for their actions. Not that they were all that great, but there are too many people today that never know that stuff, and those are the ones (along with the mentally ill with violent thoughts or plans) that should never be allowed to carry a gun.
What happened to your morals?

What happened to your values?

Why do you have no responsibilities?

Most Americans still have all of those.

When was the last time a law enforcement officer(government official) was at the scene of the crime?

You have a right to your opinion, and to voice it.

You do not have a right to demand others give up their rights simply because you are willing to surrender your own.

BTW- the founding Fathers were better than great, They were awesome.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Since: Oct 07

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Touchy feely story isnt it? Too bad it is completely unrelated to this case, and off topic.
I almost see your point.

There was two black thugs in the Cafe. Zimmerman only had one to shoot, and he shot once.

And grandpa was using a 380, not a nine millimeter. Plus his thugs were running like scared little menards. Harder to hit than the thug standing over you.

I can't remeber, was there a hoody involved.

It is strange how you see the difference between an armed citizen shooting ione thug and an armed citizen shooting at thugs.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Point #1 It appears from the footage that "Grandpa" fired at least 6 rounds. He only "scored" 3 hits. He grazed one robbers arm. He shot the other guy in the ass and in the hip, as he was running away. Before we praise grandpa, there were at least 4 stray bullets (counting the one that only grazed the robbers arm). That a 33.3% "hit" ratio. 66.7% of those bullets went flying in an unintended direction. "Grandpa" shows extreme lack of proper training and shooting skills, and he is EXTREMELY lucky one of those bullets did not find its way into an innocent bystander. Remember when I was saying that your pistol isnt an insurance policy, its a liabilty? Grandpa got lucky. A lot of lessons to be learned here, as with every case.
Point #2, I personaly have a problem with someone shooting individuals in the back as they are running away. But thats just me. Apparantly in FL its legal, so have at it.
And yet, to a little whiny guy like you, the fact that he missed all those people is irrelevent.

Add to that, the fact that very seldom do defensive gun uses result in innocent bystanders being hit, you still whine about what if.

Yeah, grandpa is lucky. He is still alive to listen to idiots like you defend thugs and try to protect them from armed citizens.

How about what if those thugs intended to kill everyone there? They were already there pointing a gun at people. Yet, you consider that the minor threat, your thundering moron.

Grandpa just intended to shoot the thugs.

Normal people would rather take their chances with grandpa.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

Boogle Eyed wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh shaddup you self righteous loser - how about Zimmerman?
Did he save lives??
LOL!!!
A bunch. Statistically, a number of black kids.

Thug Trayvon was just unfortunate to pick, for his first or second victim, an armed citizen to try and beat to death.

An idiot of your caliber.

Hooray for Zimmermans Pest Extermination Service.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullshit. Do you have half a brain? If these two thugs were looking to commit a "massacre" they would have high powered rifles and body armor.(ie. movie theater shooting) Grandpa never would have got his peashooter out of the holster. The people in the cafe were in >MORE< danger of being hit by one of grandpa's stray bullets than being killed by the robber. You can keep your doubts, because you very obviously dont understand what "saving lives" actually means. Grandpa was LUCKY.
Jane you ignorant slut.

Why do you punctuate your ignorance with such certainty?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/five-women-s...

Ooo ooo looky there, in Chicago, where guns are banned.

Must be a misprint.

Way to go with that gun control, pecker breath.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not watch the video. The man with the gun dropped the gun. He did not pick it up. As both are running out of the door they are, at that point, unarmed and grandpa is still firing.
Mein Gott, can you get any stupider.

I watched the Vid. He still had the gun after the first shot, the other guy still had the baseball bat.

He might have dropped it when they dropped the bag outside the door.

This is why you are such a lousy witness.

Witless more like it.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither black, nor racist. By saying I dont give a shit about color that proves what? HA! your suck a f'n clown.
<quoted text>
Spraying bullets through a crowded room is saving lives? You avoided the question (not surprisingly). Would >YOU< put yourself in a room with an armed 71 yr old man knowing he only has a 33% accuracy rate? Would you put your wife? Your kids? You know, and I know you know, that the very thought of armed citizens WHO DONT HAVE A FUCKING CLUE what they are doing, and are going to pull there weapon and only hit 1 out of three shots from close range, makes you at the very least, a little bit nervous.
<quoted text>
Tell me how the law responds then. You are being attacked. You pull your weapon you fire one bullet. An innocent bystander is struck by your bullet. You are deemed justified in shooting, but you killed in innocent. What are you looking at? Criminal charges? Civil litigation? SYG prevents both from with regard to the attacker, but what about the collateral damage?
Remember my statement which you have a problem with. "Grandpa was luck one of his 4 strays didnt stike an innocent"
And "I have a problem with continuing to fire into the backs of individuals as they are fleeing."
Heyhey, did you get your what if from the mosives.

My what if comes from the liberal news headlines.

Put your monmey where you litiful mouth is.

Produce 5 examples of an armed citizen, using his gun to stop a crime, that shot an innocent bystander.

I can produce 5 examples of innocent bystanders getting shot by cops, long after the 1st victims were shot.

Jesus you're stupid.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

menards wrote:
<quoted text>
You still never answered the question. Do >YOU< want to be in a room with armed grandpa, knowing then when he pulls that weapon out 66.7% of the shots fired are going to miss? Do you want your wife, your kids in that room with armed grandpa, knowing that 66.7% of shots fired are going to miss?
Normal peopel would rather take their chances with grandpa shooting AT the thugs than the thugs shooting AT them.

I see you are not normal.

It explains everything.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
eternal cynic, Criminals should never be left unchallenged, but that's what LE and the justice system are for. And I don't doubt that Florida's crime rate has dropped since ccw's, but how many innocent people have become victims (collateral damage) because of it?
I think there are too many egos that need a boost, for ccw's to be allowed. If an off duty cop had been there and tried to stop the robbery with a gun, I wouldn't have a problem with it. A cop is trained to think about collateral damage, before taking a shot. This guy wasn't. Nor was he thinking about 'just' stopping a robbery. He had already done that, but he kept shooting as they ran away.
Let me see if I can help with that glaring ignorance.

Let us ignore you thoughts that the bad guy with the gun only wants your money and will not hurt you. History and facts have proven you very wrong.

Let us dwell on aimed fire vs collateral fire.

If a bad guy is aiming at you, you are a dead man.

If 5 grandpas are in the room, shooting at the bad guy, your chance of being shot has dropepd to survivable levels.

Other peoepl in the room do see a slight increase in the chance they might get hit, accidentally.

Cowards like you assume the poor soul who is being aimed at is the onlt one there the bad guy will aim at.

SO you don't care if he takes one for the team, as long as YOUR chance of getign hit does not rise.

Well, your next bozo, even if you do nor believe that will happen.
Trusting that the thug has a good heart, after he points a gun at you, is a great attitude and I notice a lot of Democrats think that way.
I do not.

I happen to know that I will survive a lot easier if 5 good guys are shooting at the bad guy aiming at me.

I am OK if my chance of getting hit goes up a little, even if I am not being aimed at.

Collateral fire hits you accidentally.
Aimed fire kills you.

Why is that to hard for a libieral to understand?

Ask the folks on that island in Norway how they liked being aimed at by the shooter.

wait, you can't, THEY'RE DEAD YOU THUNDERING MORON!

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
Of course I have an argument. My opinion on our gun laws is my argument. That constitution that so many gun holders keep talking about gives me the right to voice my argument, opinion and concerns.
When the 2nd was written, we didn't have cell phones, and LE officers all around like we do now. The people (for the most part) were different then as well. They had morals and values taught from an early age, they were more mature, they understood responsibility, and knew about consequences for their actions. Not that they were all that great, but there are too many people today that never know that stuff, and those are the ones (along with the mentally ill with violent thoughts or plans) that should never be allowed to carry a gun.
I am sorry you have been tainted with liberal propaganda.

If you want to actualy know how often a gun is used, everyday, by the most helpless among us to stop the predators, try looking on the Armed Citizen web page.

I assume you do not want to know, and would rather remain ignorant.

Just keep reading the liberal news.

And per your earlier post,

We cannot rely on the police to protect us.

The SCOTUS has ruled twice that the police have no legal obligation to protect individuals.

Bet you did not know that.

Try learning something befoere you play with the big boys.

I think you mean well, but you are woefulyl ignorant.

Hopefully, not willfully ignorant, like some others here.

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
Point out one thing I wrote that is a lie. YOU CAN'T DO IT!
You have no idea of what I know or apparently what you just read in my post. My ex bf went through the police academy and is now a state trooper. I mentioned absolutely nothing about the military. Nor did I mention knowing anything about firearms use, other than what he told me POLICE OFFICERS are taught to do and not to do.
We learned long ago that you cannot disprove anyones beliefs.

Good luck with that religion.

We know facts are useless with your religion (the Alter of Gun Control).

“Now thats a tin hat!”

Blue Ridge Mountains

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

RuffnReddy wrote:
<quoted text>Who is in any danger of being punished because of the actions these few you talk, please explain yourself...clearly.
Roop is in deep shyt, going away to a psych hosp or prison for a long long time. Barely worth discussing beyond that his attorney immediately started yapping about a SYG defense.
George Zimmerman told Sean Hannity on national TV that he "always" carries except at his workplace.
That would be the law abiding numbnuts.
According to people like you, we should regulate Muslims because a rabid few blow up childen on purpose.
To people like you, registering cars and licensing people is the only way to stop drunk driving.
My God, can you get more ignorant.

“Evolved hunter/gatherer”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

BRONACH wrote:
<quoted text>
Eating/hunting are just a natural part of life.
DUH !
Justice

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Judged:

BRONACH, My morals, values, and responsibilities are right where they should be: ingrained. Taught and learned the hard way.
I would never try to demand anyone had to give up their rights, but that doesn't mean I have to like a bunch of nuts running around trigger happy either.
I agree that the majority of Americans could handle a gun and themselves well, if given the proper training. But like I said before, it's the other ones that have access to guns that I'm worried about.
There's also the fact that people have differing values and morals. I do not believe that it is OK, to kill someone that's trying to steal from me. Do I work hard for what I have? yes. Would it pissme off? yes. Would I want to make sure they didn't do it again? yes. Would I take their life to make sure it didn't happen again? no.
Oh, and I wasn't saying anything bad about our founding fathers. I was talking about the people of that time in general.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
BRONACH, My morals, values, and responsibilities are right where they should be: ingrained. Taught and learned the hard way.
I would never try to demand anyone had to give up their rights, but that doesn't mean I have to like a bunch of nuts running around trigger happy either.
I agree that the majority of Americans could handle a gun and themselves well, if given the proper training. But like I said before, it's the other ones that have access to guns that I'm worried about.
There's also the fact that people have differing values and morals. I do not believe that it is OK, to kill someone that's trying to steal from me. Do I work hard for what I have? yes. Would it pissme off? yes. Would I want to make sure they didn't do it again? yes. Would I take their life to make sure it didn't happen again? no.
Oh, and I wasn't saying anything bad about our founding fathers. I was talking about the people of that time in general.
You would be willing to take that risk that those armed robbers would ONLY rob you and not kill you?

“FEED THE DEAD FETUS”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 30, 2012

Justice wrote:
Gun laws do nothing to affect the people you're talking about.

Look how many criminal gang bangers carry guns.

Do you believe they buy them legally?

Do you believe they wont carry guns if new, more restrictive laws are passed?

There are more than 100 million gun owners in this country.
If a fraction of those gun owners were "crazed gun nuts" were to decide to go on shooting sprees, there'd be millions of bodies laying in the streets.

Most gun violence is committed by gang members.

You can't yell fire in a crowded theater without getting in trouble, but I don't see you calling for restrictions on freedom of speech if someone does yell fire.

Understand that the constitution does not give us rights.
The constitution and BoR simply instruct the government to protect our rights.

It specifically orders the government not to infringe on those rights.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••