Few gun deaths in self-defense

Feb 5, 2011 Full story: ArgusLeader.com 12

Recently, in an interesting and insightful article in a national magazine, a writer posed the question: 'Why are we allowed to pack heat at the Safeway when we can't pack shampoo in a carry-on?' The writer added, 'Does the Second Amendment really protect our right to a magazine that holds 30 bullets?' The writer stated that well-armed gun rights ...

Full Story

“Facts exist, even when ignored”

Since: Feb 07

Somewhere in Indiana

#1 Feb 6, 2011
"The writer reported that nationally, fewer than 1 percent of gun deaths involve self-defense. The rest are homicides, suicides and accidents."

The major fallacy in this argument is that successful self defense is not predicated on "death".

"Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year."
Former 18B

Orlando, FL

#2 Feb 6, 2011
Roadie wrote:
"The writer reported that nationally, fewer than 1 percent of gun deaths involve self-defense. The rest are homicides, suicides and accidents."
The major fallacy in this argument is that successful self defense is not predicated on "death".
"Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year."
Shhh!

You'll confuse them and they'll start calling for a wambulance.
Former 18B

Orlando, FL

#3 Feb 6, 2011
We're (gun owners) all supposed to be blood-thirsty savages who want nothing more than to shoot bad guys until they become piles of disconnected parts.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Since: Mar 08

Location hidden

#4 Feb 6, 2011
Article wrote:
'Why are we allowed to pack heat at the Safeway when we can't pack shampoo in a carry-on?'
Because the stupid people allow the govt to meddle in the affairs of Middle East people (whether they like it or not) and this gets those people all worked up enough to want to come here and kill as many Americans as they can.

Truth is, if airplane passengers were packing heat, the 9/11 WTC attack would never happened.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#5 Feb 6, 2011
Former 18B wrote:
We're (gun owners) all supposed to be blood-thirsty savages who want nothing more than to shoot bad guys until they become piles of disconnected parts.
And we want to have shootouts on airplanes at 35,000 feet.

“Constitutionist/ SAF”

Location hidden

#6 Feb 6, 2011
Article wrote:
The writer reported that nationally, fewer than 1 percent of gun deaths involve self-defense. The rest are homicides, suicides and accidents.

The 2nd amendment prohibits govt from regulating guns so that we can defend ourselves from rogue govt. The amendment has little to do with death, suicide, or deadly accidents.
Bob

Brockton, MA

#7 Feb 7, 2011
My guns and I live with a liberal anti-gun person, who, like most liberals, has her own preconceived notions about guns and people who own them. She won't listen to reason. What I like to call the 'Ostrich Syndrome'. Ya ever notice how they sorta hide their heads in the sand? They all believe they
know what's best for everybody, and don't want to be subjected to the cold, hard facts of life. My pet liberal actually admitted to me how she used to carry concealed illegally, while working on her masters. WHY? Because she was scared to death of the crappy neighborhood she had to go to for part of her training. So, she obviously believed in self defense and CCW at some point in her life. When I bring up the subject of guns, carrying of same, or the right of self defense, suddenly only
she enjoys the guarantees of the first amendment.
Don't you believe for a NY second I haven't reminded her of it either.:)
Chunga

Sicklerville, NJ

#9 Feb 8, 2011
I like to blast away with my hairdryer.
lol

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#10 Feb 8, 2011
Chunga wrote:
I like to blast away with my hairdryer.
lol
Who doesn't!

“"Stand and Fight"”

Since: Sep 10

United States

#11 Feb 20, 2011
Roadie wrote:
No s***. Half of them end without a shot being fired. Either the perp fled or surrendered at the sight of a gun.
STU

Toledo, OH

#12 Apr 13, 2012
Roadie wrote:
What really bothers me about this quote and all statistics brought up about guns is that homocide is not the same thing as murder. Homicide is strictly killing of another human and is a broad definition which includes murder and self-defense (you could argue maybe it doesnt include accidental killings). Its hard to find statistics that talk about murders caused by guns. I find this very interesting because it seems to be a fine example of government misinformation and use of legal jargon to trick people.
Dontakemyguns

Corona, CA

#13 Dec 15, 2012
If defensive gun use is common then many criminals should certainly have encountered armed resistance. Professors James D. Wright and Peter Rossi surveyed 2,000 felons incarcerated in state prisons across the United States. Wright and Rossi reported that 34% of the felons said they personally had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"; 69% said that they knew at least one other criminal who had also; 34% said that when thinking about committing a crime they either "often" or "regularly" worried that they "[m]ight get shot at by the victim"; and 57% agreed with the statement, "Most criminals are more worried about meeting an armed victim than they are about running into the police." (James D. Wright & Peter H. Rossi, Armed and Considered Dangerous: A Survey of Felons and Their Firearms [1986]. See Guns and Public Health: Epidemic of Violence or Pandemic of Propaganda? by Don B. Kates, et. al. Originally published as 61 Tenn. L. Rev. 513-596 [1994]).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guns Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 2 hr Squach 12,057
Texas open carry is shooting itself in the foot Tue Independent1 4
Open Carry Activist Charged With Shooting Ex-Hu... Dec 13 Here Is One 3
Ferguson braces for grand jury decision Dec 11 Vern5554566 4
Deer Hunting Time Dec 9 kurtcooksalot16 1
Bill would stiffen background checks Dec 8 Independent1 3
SAFE Act PROTEST draws crowd in Lewis County (Jun '13) Dec 7 lowville resident 4
More from around the web