GOLF: Azinger's picks for U.S. Ryder Cup squad scream of medioc...

Full story: LA Daily News
Nick Faldo should be a giddy man. The European Ryder Cup captain received plenty of heat for leaving experienced Cup players Darren Clarke and Colin Montgomerie off his team in favor of Ian Poulter and Paul ... Full Story
Courtney

Austell, GA

#1 Sep 3, 2008
Mediocrity ?? Who of the players not chosen between 9 and 19 on the points list have actually stepped up to have an exceptional year ? Aside from a few emotional points spread out on Mediate and Austin - there have been no standout seasons outside the top ONE on the Ryder Cup list - and that #1 is rehabbing from knee surgery.
I am no fan of Paul Azinger, and his choices of Campbell and Mahan baffle me, too, but to label any of his possible choices as mediocre seems a bit of a stretch. I wondered why, if Azinger was going to take a flier on Campbell, why not go down to #25 on the list and take Heath Slocum. He and Boo Weekley teamed for a runner up finish at the World Cup - they know and like each other - and obviously play well together. We would at least have one solid team going in. And Slocum has had a very good playoff series so far.
However - the idea that Azinger "needs" to call on Tiger Woods is ludicrous. Woods is not a captain - not a coach - he can't get out on the course and roam around giving moral support. Why insult Azinger and put extra pressure on him by suggesting that he genuflect to the great Tiger Woods and beg his indulgence and wisdom ?
Shanghai JD

Shanghai, China

#2 Sep 3, 2008
I wasn't picked either...and my previous match play competitions i was 3-1 in the Beijing Golf Association back in 1999 and had a perfect record of 3-0 in the Windtree tournament in 2001,until was called off for matches not played...man am i pissed

Ok Zinger did well enough,i guess,except that JB really really hacked his way around the Deutsche Bank Chamionship and is from Kentucky,so maybe some added pressure was there...and Chad???...Woody instead and what about Brandt Snedeker,,seems he was on the good side with a perfect match play record in 2003 Publinx, so he knows how and Walker Cup on top of that and really really think Snedeker is the next Arnold Palmer of the future. He is 29th now in the Fed Ex Cup though hasn't played to his potential,though watch out for the BMW with his win there and then rolls on to East Lake contending with Vijay as Vijay last year almost finished dead last at the BMW. So Zinger is not being 2nd guessed much now, he will be after Snedecker rolls this week. Good luck USA...we're going to need it at Vahalla!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hunter Mahan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Justin Rose Wins US Open (Jun '13) Jul '13 Power Fade 2
Who do you think is the best ball striker of al... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Ron Howell 1
McDowell carries on Irish tradition in Ryder Cup (Sep '12) Sep '12 allex 1
Mahan, with a 65, takes two-shot lead at Congre... (Jun '12) Jun '12 gwjr 1
Most wins, but nobody but golf fanatics know wh... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Trolly 2
Which Tiger will show up at Bay Hill? (Mar '12) Mar '12 Jason 1
World championships: The most important title n... (Mar '12) Mar '12 ATH 2