The faulty door on our Kia Sedona

Oct 29, 2007 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Nathanpitman.com

The electric sliding door on our brand new Kia Sedona leaves something to be desired. via Nathanpitman.com

Comments
21 - 40 of 41 Comments Last updated Mar 11, 2014
Dan

Markham, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 6, 2009

I have a 2006 Sedona. The sliding door on the driver's side won't latch. It is a manual door. It happens intermittently but usually when it's around 0 C degrees. Usually I could fix it by pushing in on the door while locking the doors with the remote. It happened again yesterday but my "fix" failed!. I have it tied with a rope and am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning.
Piss Off

Bronx, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2010

I should be going to work and my 2006 Kia Sedona door won't close. I am so upset.From the time we bought this car its been a pain. It has no power going up a hill, the lights go off and on. This car is a lemon, it was a lemon when they made it in the factory, I have put so much money into this car.I try to trade in my car they told me it is only worth 5,000, I brought the car last year for 14,000 "I am Piss"
WiscoKiaSedona

Union Grove, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2010

Our 2006 Sedona has problems with both power sliding doors not closing properly, usually after a car wash in cold weather. They appear to close properly, then open back up and won't stay closed. The problem goes away after the vehicle warms up (the interior, not just the engine). Otherwise, we LOVE the vehicle and feel we got more value for the money than we would have gotten from competing products from other manufacturers.
Randy G

Kings Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2010

My Moms 06 Sedona just came back from the dealership they said the door hinges were coroded. They replaced both sides under warranty.
GoldenVan

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 23, 2010

We've got an issue with one sliding door not always latching closed. It's manual, and flicking the lock door switch seems to resolve this issue. Only happened today for the first time after 60,000 miles. Vehicle has lots of power - way more than our 99 Odyssey or 01 Mazda MPV. We bought 17-inch alloy rims from Phenix Wheels on Ebay $110 each for Winter Tires/Rims. They're for a Hyundai Entourage but look very good on our Sedona EX. We love the van, by the way!
Doug from MN

Babbitt, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 4, 2010

Our driver side slider on a 2006 Sedona will not close properly. This does not happen all the time so it keeps you guessing and hoping that it will eventually catch. I have to close the latch with a screw driver and then open it and eventually it has caught. Of course KIA says we are not covered because we have 61,000 miles and it is only covered to 60,000 They said the same thing about a probem with the speedometer when I had 60,059 miles). Add that to the poor service at the local dealer and my love for the car has faded to another brand at buying time.

Let me know if anyone has solved the problem.
CMAC

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2010

Kia dealers cant get good mechanics due to the fact that Kia corp pays very low to the dealerships on waranty repairs. Most Techs work on commission, kia doesnt allow enough time,which is money to the tech to perform waranty repairs and the numerous recalls AKA "service actions" plus they use sub-standard parts.
Mich-Dan

Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2010

We have an 06 Kia Sedona. Our passenger side sliding door won't close at all -- not even manually. We had to hold it closed all the way from downtown Ottawa to where we live (a 45 minute drive) while listening to the irritating beeping. We will take it into the dealer next week. Wish we had bought a Honda instead.
Alan

Sherrard, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2010

I own a 2007 Sedona and have problems with the sliding doors. In the summer heat, the gaskets get sticky and I have to really work at getting the doors to open. In the winter, the doors freeze shut and I have to climb in another way and use the shoulder against the door to break the frozen grip. Now the passenger side latch doesn't work so the door cannot shut. I have been able to "jimmy" the latch and get it to work, but now I can do nothing to make it to work. I started the dealership nightmare yesterday. Here we go...
Terry H

Victor, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2010

Judged:

Hi Alan,

I hope you'll post the results of your trip to the dealer for the door problem. We had this same problem with one of our manual doors (also a 2007 Sedona) about a year ago, and got it "fixed" at a Firestone for almost $200.(They said they replaced the latch.) Now the other side door is not closing all the way, all the time. I'm wondering what your "fix" will be.....
I'm also wondering if it'll end up costing me $400 just to get the doors of my minivan to close... grrrrrr
Recall on doors FYI

Peabody, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 29, 2011

Judged:

Hi, just came back from our Kia dealership for the same door problem mentioned above. I have 115k on my Sedona and was well over the warranty. They told me there was a recall on the doors and fixed the problem for free. Good luck!
Pam Ball

Ruther Glen, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2012

Same problem automatic door on a 06 kia sedona van Never buy a KIA!
rene rovira

Dumfries, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2012

I have the same problem whit my 2007 ex sedona, problem with opening power side doors the door stock and i have to do manual
Ray

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 31, 2013

I had same problem with Sedona sliding door not opening fully. I finally figure out why this happen. When the rear window is lower all the way down it will prevent the sliding door open fully. Same happen if the gas latch is open. Sliding door will not stay open. I think KIA has put it this way as preventive or safety reason.
Morley

Round Rock, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2013

outnumbered wrote:
Our 2006 Kia Sedona was declared a lemon due to this power door failure. You would think Kia would work to find a fix rather than expend so much energy giving their customers such a hard time.
Hi Nathan,

I have 2007 Sedona with a same issue. It even occurs on highways are high speeds. With kids in the back, I am afraid this could end badly, which I am not willing to let happen. It has already been to the dealership 5 times now and being intermittent, the failure doesn't manifest during thier limitd inspection/attempts to recreate the failure.

You mentioned you Sedona was declared a lemon. I presume that means you Kia replaced the vehicle for you. Would you please share some details of your case with Kia.

You can contact me directly at Morley40@gamil.com

Thanks and hope to see a response from you.

Cheers,
Morley
John

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 19, 2013

Same problem here 2006 sedona: door flys wide open at any speed, anywhere and in any type of weather.
Will never buy KIA again. Going back to the bus or
call a taxi.
joe_c

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2013

My 2010 kia Sedona's rear hatch door won't stay open.
Any suggestions? Opens fine but falls instead of locking open.
Virginia

Christiansburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2014

We started having problems with the door then other things, they ended u replaceing the whole wireing harness. They took every thing out but the streering wheel thanks the lord it was under warenty because he said the harness alone was like 2000.00
Julie

Elk River, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 7, 2014

We can't get the sliding doors to open at all now on our 2006 Kia Sedona van. Is there anyway that we can shut the power down on them to see if we can open them manually. We have been having so many problems with the doors even after the Kia Dealer fixed the latches.
Jen

London, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2014

We have been quite happy with the performance of our 2011 Sedona up to today. It has only 47k. The weather is cold (-8 Celsius) and I did a car wash. A few hours later, I could not close the (manual) sliding door at the driver side. After a few attempts, it finally latched. But I could not get the front door at the driver side to close after many attempts. It did not latch. I was able to push the lock button from inside just to keep the door in the closed position (not latched). I had to drive with the "door open" light on and the beeping sound all the way home. Thanks God I was not on highway and it was only 4KM away from home. We will go to the dealership next Wednesday.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••