Terps black out

Full story: Baltimore Sun 44
When it was over, Maryland players, who punctuate victories by leaping into the student section, walked slowly to the tunnel. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
gscaton1

Ellicott City, MD

#1 Nov 23, 2008
When are these Maryland fans going to realize that this team is so overrated. I was there yesterday, Florida was so much better than us. I am tired of reading Fridge saying it was his fault. He takes the blame, they were not ready. We need a change. If he can't get them ready for the biggest game in years than something is wrong. They looked awful, so outclass. Turner said they played dirty, they played better, simple as that. How can you beat 6 rank teams and lose like that? Really a disapointment. Now I'll sit back today and hope the Ravens play better.
Mariolucasforthr ee

Columbia, MD

#2 Nov 23, 2008
I also was there, and it was an utter disgrace. Once again no game plan, horrific playcalling, and no sense of urgency or pride. This whole coaching staff needs to be replaced. If not, we will have another 5 years of slightly above average seasons and mediocre bowl games. The players, the fans, and the school deserve better.
Kevin from pikesville

Owings Mills, MD

#3 Nov 23, 2008
I actually missed the game last night to go out... glad i didn't see this one... sounds like a complete embarrassment. Pretty disappointed, but not surprised... this team has been inconsistent all year and are often dominated by FS.
robmeg34

Chesapeake Beach, MD

#4 Nov 23, 2008
Yeah...let's change the coaching staff. Maybe we can get Vanderlinden or Duffner to come back. How about Joe Krivak?

Maryland has always been such a national powerhouse that huge name coaches will be dying to come here if Fridge is fired. Perhaps Urban Meyer or Nick Saban will be interested the second the job becomes available.

We definitely should expect BCS bowl games...I am tired of just mediocre bowl games.
Adrian

Columbia, MD

#5 Nov 23, 2008
No one is getting fired and no one should...who are you going to get better than what they have? They are going to a bowl game and will have a winning season...let's build on that.
bluebird

Lusby, MD

#6 Nov 23, 2008
robmeg34 wrote:
Yeah...let's change the coaching staff. Maybe we can get Vanderlinden or Duffner to come back. How about Joe Krivak?
Maryland has always been such a national powerhouse that huge name coaches will be dying to come here if Fridge is fired. Perhaps Urban Meyer or Nick Saban will be interested the second the job becomes available.
We definitely should expect BCS bowl games...I am tired of just mediocre bowl games.
Thats right, Maryland will never be a national powerhouse as long as many fans and Debbie Do-little are willing to accept getting embarassed on national TV by a second-rate Florida State team.

Its not like this is Ralph's first or second year. This is a team with 30 seniors that has under performed the entire year. The coaching staff has under performed as well -- maybe more so.

If that is what the fans and admin are willing to settle for, maybe they should drop down a division so they can be more competitive -- this also applies to the awful basketball team nearly lost to Vermont on Friday.

I plan on casting my vote on the state of the two revenue making programs with the checkbook next year. This has gone on too long.
Failure is not an option

Joppa, MD

#7 Nov 23, 2008
Let's not share our contempt for losing with the world. A loss is a loss. Big deal. After the loss to Middle TN I thought they'd have a losing season. Look at Texas Tech yesterday. Trampled by Sooners. Way more 'embarrassing'. What's embarrassing is our attempt to make this more important than what it is. It's a game. The Orange Bowl. Didn't we go there and beat Tennessee when Fridge got here? Until this year I thought we stunk because the Vols kept doing well. Now they stink.

That's how life works. ND stinks. Navy is doing good. FSU is a good team. Not a great team. I'm not sure how many good teams there are, but MD is certainly one of them. No one goes thru life undefeated. The Terps are every bit as good as Cincinnati and Pittsburgh. Maybe they were lucky to beat Cal at home, but they won didn't they?

Oklahoma b-ball barely got by someone yesterday and they're highly ranked and presumably spend millions every year to get their press image up.

If you noticed there are very few Rhodes Scholars for athletes over the years. But while the press praises a worthwhile winner, Mr. Rolle is after all a fairly average student who shines because he is at a big time football program which year in and year out has discipline problems. Something tells me that a lot of connections were called and string pulled to entice the Rhodes people to grant them a free ride. Not that Mr. Rolle is not an excellent student, but I would say on the surface he is very intelligent looking and a worthy candidate but a 3.75 GPA is not knocking down walls.

My point is simple: politics, money, connections is what make the world go round. The Terps are by far a better educational institution than anything in the Sunshine State. Anyone who went to Miami in my day was accepted at that school because their parents deemed getting into somewhere for their prize child was necessary and basket weaving is a good major.

It's time to start realizing that for those guys and gals out there who aren't on the field are the school not the ones with the trophy in the case.
Mariolucasforthr ee

Columbia, MD

#8 Nov 23, 2008
I don't understand the fans who want to settle for mediocrity and crappy bowl games...Why should we settle for being average? Especially since we pay Fridge the salary of an Oklahoma or Texas coach?!?!
Robbie

United States

#9 Nov 23, 2008
I don't see how Maryland will ever be a top tier football school. They just don't have the recruiting base. Look around at the schools that are successful year in and year out, schools like Texas, Florida, USC, and Ohio State. All of these schools have home recruiting bases that are strong. Maryland high school football is no where near that of Ohio, Florida, California or Texas.

If Maryland doesn't have the home grown talent, they have to go outside the area for recruiting and compete on some other programs home turf. Now if Maryland were some national powerhouse team perhaps top recruits would be willing to come here, but absent that why would a kid from Florida want to come to Maryland?

So If Maryland doesn't have the home grown talent, and they don't have the ability to woo other state's talent, what are the other options? Perhaps they could get lucky every now and again and get hidden gems. Players like the QB from Mizzou who was overlooked by the big programs. The problem is I don't now how many years you could get lucky with players, and I don't know how many years you would have to be successful to get to the point the school was looked at differently from the top recruits. Maybe a few good years would create a winning culture and then Maryland starts getting better recruits and it all becomes a self-perpetuating cycle of success. I just doubt it happens, particulary at a school and in a state where college football is really not that big of a deal.
Gmoney

Franklin, TN

#10 Nov 23, 2008
What went wrong?

Fridge sinmply cannot get his team to win in prime-time on a national stage.

His kids can beat WF, UNC, Ga Tech - so he has the players - but the man simply cannot coach or prepare his players when he loses each and every single night game (or a game against MTSU).

It's that simple.
Gary

Catonsville, MD

#11 Nov 23, 2008
Fans, am talkig to you. As long as Penn State and Va Tech are right on our borders it will take a hurculeon effort to be the best given the best area players will take to two superior programs.

We caught a break, Rodriguez left a great situation at WVA...big time mistake, lookat Michigan.

We are the best of the second tier. Fridge brought us out of the basement, and as soon as Bowden retires, Paterno retires, MD has a leap of faith in recruiting.
Impartial observer

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Nov 23, 2008
Pride goeth before a fall.
Hawkeye

Baltimore, MD

#13 Nov 23, 2008
Chris Turner didn't see this coming? Uh Chris, it's FSU, a traditional football powerhouse, even if a little less than years past. Sorry, the last home game, the senior farewell, the chance for a trip to the Orange Bowl and FSU, how can a team not be fired up for this game? I love watching you guys play, but it's getting frustrating as hell. I was going to say it couldn't get much worse, but then I saw the Texas Tech-OK score. Wow!
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#14 Nov 23, 2008
robmeg34 wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth. Yeah, MD is going to attract some super class coach to take us to the Orange Bowl every year. No coach in his right mind would come here unless we were talking $5mil a year, then that would start a whole new series of articles and pontificators.
sraven654

Columbus, OH

#15 Nov 23, 2008
Adrian wrote:
No one is getting fired and no one should...who are you going to get better than what they have? They are going to a bowl game and will have a winning season...let's build on that.
who are they going to get better well lets see. skip holtz, tommy bowden, tommy tubberville just to name a few. lets build i dont know if you have followed the terps but since ralph has come, there has been no building. both big years was not even his class of students... last week why did he not go for two when we scored that td... ralph got lucky and should be fired ASAP.... o and let me just say i was a huge supported of ralph....
Scott G

Alexandria, VA

#16 Nov 23, 2008
Mariolucasforthree wrote:
I don't understand the fans who want to settle for mediocrity and crappy bowl games...Why should we settle for being average? Especially since we pay Fridge the salary of an Oklahoma or Texas coach?!?!
Actually, Friegen is not even in the top 10 of paid employees of UMD.

Granted, he gets a healthy package outside the University, but the Diamondback did not have him even listed in the Top 10.
fkterp

Boca Raton, FL

#17 Nov 23, 2008
Robbie wrote:
I don't see how Maryland will ever be a top tier football school. They just don't have the recruiting base. Look around at the schools that are successful year in and year out, schools like Texas, Florida, USC, and Ohio State. All of these schools have home recruiting bases that are strong. Maryland high school football is no where near that of Ohio, Florida, California or Texas.
If Maryland doesn't have the home grown talent, they have to go outside the area for recruiting and compete on some other programs home turf. Now if Maryland were some national powerhouse team perhaps top recruits would be willing to come here, but absent that why would a kid from Florida want to come to Maryland?
So If Maryland doesn't have the home grown talent, and they don't have the ability to woo other state's talent, what are the other options? Perhaps they could get lucky every now and again and get hidden gems. Players like the QB from Mizzou who was overlooked by the big programs. The problem is I don't now how many years you could get lucky with players, and I don't know how many years you would have to be successful to get to the point the school was looked at differently from the top recruits. Maybe a few good years would create a winning culture and then Maryland starts getting better recruits and it all becomes a self-perpetuating cycle of success. I just doubt it happens, particulary at a school and in a state where college football is really not that big of a deal.

please explain how utah and boise state are top 15 teams. i guess utah and idaho are rich in high school football players. there are plenty of excellent high school players in md. va. pa. del. new jersey, and ny to form a solid base and then you have to go to n.c. ohio, fl, tx. ca. and other states and pick up 5-6 recruits a yrs. that said last night md. was outcoached, outplayed and out hustled. and whomever spent their good money to sit in sub freezing temperatures to watch this fiasco must feel like morons today. they should have turned the lights out at halftime and kept them off. now there's a real blackout. and stop with this all black or all red uniforms. wear red and white and play ball.
Nealio

Annapolis, MD

#18 Nov 23, 2008
Absolutely correct, Sraven654. It's the delusionally optimistic folks who keep asking for "one more year" for people who can't win other than with, say...Vanderlinden's recruits. Gary Williams, same thing...other peoples' recruits.

I'd go one step further: Debbie Yow and the head of the alumni association need walking papers. Is it REALLY more important to have a Maryland alum as coach than to have a football team that doesn't turn in nationally-embarrassing lame excuses for a game? Incredible--where do we get such "leaders?" [Notice that Georgia Tech had no problem letting Ralphie go.]

Since: Nov 08

Cockeysville, MD

#19 Nov 23, 2008
Another loss and another week where ralphs say's i don't think i have a feel for this team.I don't think i am getting through to this team.Here they are playing for the ACC championship on national television and they stink up the field again. See all the MD kool aid drinkers will come out and defend the program , being satisfied that they are going to a bowl.They will tell you that what do you expect from this program.That is exactley why we have grown complaciant with both the basketball and football program and constantly keep making excuses for the both of them. Until both of these highly paid over rated coaches get fired then this is all you can expect. They were beaten by middle tenn st. They were crushed by a winless va team at the time< they suicked by a Nc st by a last second field goal, they were lucky to beat a NC team that was crushed by NC ST yesterday telling you just how over rated NC is.But We are going to a bowl game and ralph will still wonder whether he is getting throgh to his team.
Same ole same

Cameron, WV

#20 Nov 23, 2008
Same ole same with King Ralphie, i don't care if we can't get a Urban Meyer type, being realistic we aint attractive for talent like that but there has to be a young, respected position/asst. coach out there chompin at the bit to get a HC position who will not have continual issues with 'motivationg' his team as the current HC does. Ralph was good for a short while and now he has regressed to a ho-hum, i can't reach the kids type of coach...... nothing in the past couple of years says he will change and we will be watching the Terps at 6-5, 7-4, 8-3 at best for a long time to come. Just my opinion....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Myron Rolle Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Foster kids get a helping hand from FSU's Myron... (Jun '09) Jul '09 Dihydrogen monoxide 13
No title (May '09) May '09 jerry from kenosh... 1
Football still has place in FSU Rhodes Scholar ... (May '09) May '09 Randy 5
Florida State Seminoles' 5 biggest questions at... (Mar '09) Mar '09 RLNole 2
Rolle chooses Oxford over NFL (Jan '09) Jan '09 plainwell pride 1
Wisconsin ready for Champs Sports Bowl (Jan '09) Jan '09 Boatman 1
We think: FSU's Myron Rolle is a true role mode... (Nov '08) Nov '08 BUCKEYE AND NOLE 5
More from around the web