how do i make the rice sticky

It was the chirashi that sold me on Ichiro. Sushi deconstructed, chirashi often shows up as a bowl of vinegared rice with a few slabs of sashimi arranged on top. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
saslawsk

Lewis Center, OH

#1 Dec 26, 2005
i have made sushi many times but i cant ever get the rice to be as sticky as i need it to be. how do i make the rice more sticky?

Since: Dec 05

Sunnyvale, CA

#2 Dec 27, 2005
saslawsk wrote:
i have made sushi many times but i cant ever get the rice to be as sticky as i need it to be. how do i make the rice more sticky?
First of all, what kind of rice are you using? You need to make sure it's high-starch short-grain. If you're using a low-starch long-grain, it's impossible. If you cook it with enough water, you're guaranteed some level of stickiness.

Second, be sure you are making "sushi rice" and not just regular steamed rice --> Once the rice has finished cooking, put it in a large bowl and add a couple of tablespoons of rice-vinegar combined with about a teaspoon of sugar. This will give it a sushi-restaurant flavor.
Sushi lover

Milford, CT

#3 May 26, 2006
o nice thanks for the tip <3
Sushi lover

Milford, CT

#4 May 26, 2006
Sorry i have a question. How do you cook the rice? Do you need a special rice cooker? or is cooking it on the stove at a certain temperature fine?
priscilla garcia

San Diego, CA

#5 May 28, 2006
how do you make it and what kind of rice do you need because i made some in a crockpot and it came out not so good to mushey
mommy of four

Austin, TX

#6 Jun 6, 2006
Just go out, it's easier. lol
I cook a little and anytime you want to have rice, put 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice. It can go into the pot at the same time, even in cold water. Turn the fire up high, as soon as the rice begins to boil, turn the fire down as low as it can go without going out and cover, leave alone for 15 minutes...not too bad!
rice lover

Canada

#7 Jun 26, 2006
how do i make sticky white rice just for eating?
Andrea

Lansing, MI

#8 Jul 16, 2006
See if there's an Asian market in your city or nearby. We get a huge bag of rice for just under $10. We usually get a brand called NikoNiko Calrose Rice from SunLuck, and the ratio of water to rice is a little different--3 cups rice/4 cups water. Before you measure any water in, you need to rinse your rice in cold water, do it 2-3 times, and drain off the cloudy water. Don't worry about getting every last drop out. Add the 4 cups of water, bring to a boil over high heat, boil 1 min. on med.-high heat, cover and simmer on the lowest flame possible for 20 minutes. Then, turn off the flame. I open my rice and take a look--I move some aside to see the bottom. If it looks dry and all, I had 1/2 c. of water and leave the lid on for about 5 more minutes. Occaisionally, it's still a bit moise in the bottom when I first check it, and I just leave it on the flame for a few more minutes. I figure it's affected by the atmosphere like divinity is. Rinsing the rice makes a BIG difference. I learned that from our Japanese foreign exchange student. Or you can not worry about the rice at all and buy a rice cooker like all our sticky-rice-loving friends have.
Second Mouse

Winchester, TN

#9 Sep 10, 2006
They make rice especially for sushi. Naturally, it's called Sushi Rice. I've found several different brands. You can cook it just like any other rice. The rice I have takes 2 3/4 of water for 2 cups of rice. That makes 4 cups of cooked rice. It takes 1/2 cup of vinegar after it is cooked. It makes perfect sticky rice.

The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Second Mouse

Winchester, TN

#10 Sep 10, 2006
So, don't use just any kind of rice. It won't work and it just won't taste the same. You also need the rice vinegar and not just any vinegar. There are a lot of books to tell you how. I may look intimadating but it is very easy to make sushi at home.

Jasmine

United States

#11 Sep 19, 2006
Second Mouse wrote:
So, don't use just any kind of rice. It won't work and it just won't taste the same. You also need the rice vinegar and not just any vinegar. There are a lot of books to tell you how. I may look intimadating but it is very easy to make sushi at home.
There is a rice I just bought accidently, It's a jasmine thai rice I tried it and it was great, just use 1-2 ratio one cup rice to 2 cups of water. set the water to boil add a little bit of oil and salt to your liking, once that has come to a boiling pint add your rice stir, cover and reduce heat to low...let it sit and cook slowly..the key to great rice is letting it cook on its own never rush rice especially those types of rice....Jasmine
Jasmine

United States

#12 Sep 19, 2006
rice lover wrote:
how do i make sticky white rice just for eating?
Just buy white rice from any store...The key to cooking any white rice is the same 1:2 ratio. One cup rice to 2 cups of water. Bring water to a boil, I like a little drop of oil in water and my salt to taste. The oil is optional. Anyway bring to a boil then add your rice...stir, cover and reduce heat to low. Do not open the pot, do not stir, leave it alone for about 15-20mins. when you see there's no water in the pot and the rice fluffy looking. It's done...and there you have it white sticky rice....
Ernie

United States

#13 Sep 20, 2006
Rice cookers are great.... I have a Panasonic rice cook that I bought from Amazon.com ... Makes perfect rice everytime...
Ernie

United States

#14 Sep 20, 2006
Not from IL... I live in KY but was born and raised in Hawaii...

Don't know why it's showing me from IL.. it never asked me where I was from...
Second Mouse

Winchester, TN

#15 Sep 22, 2006
Guys you can't just buy any white rice and expect it to be 'sticky rice'. Sticky rice is made by using Japanese medium grain sushie rice and adding the rice vinegar after it is cooked. The rice becomes sticky after it is cooked. Regular long grained rice is not suitable because it is drier and doesn't stick together. You can go to any market that carries Asian/Oriental products and get the Sushi Rice, Nori (seaweed), sesame seeds and anything else you need. I make Sushi rolls about 2-3 times a week and they are as good as the rolls bought at the Japanese Restaurant.

will zatarans work

AOL

#17 Oct 7, 2006
will zatarans work and i dont have rice vineger is ther any posible substitutuions
Warren

Mount Kisco, NY

#18 Oct 8, 2006
You might want to check out my page on making sushi rice:
http://www.sushifaq.com/homesushi/howtomakesu...
and I even have a recipe for 'fail safe pot rice' if you don't have a rice cooker.
http://www.sushifaq.com/recipes/failsafepotri...
Good luck!
DLS

Hinsdale, MA

#19 Dec 26, 2006
will zatarans work wrote:
will zatarans work and i dont have rice vineger is ther any posible substitutuions
No Zatarans won't work! It has to be Sushi rice. Also try using Sushi rice vineger sauce, it's type of vinegar, it has a sweeter taste. Once it's cooked put it into a wooden or plastic bowl, not a "stainless steel" one. Add your vinegar and keep stiring gently until it's cooled, fanning it helps. It takes awhile but it's worth it.

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#20 Dec 26, 2006
will zatarans work wrote:
It has to be Sushi Rice and either Sushi Vinegar or Rice Vinegar. Regular rice doesn't have the sticky consistancy you need.
Rand

United States

#21 Dec 31, 2006
Fail safe :)

Ingredients
makes 10 small rolls

500 ml Sushi Rice
600 ml Water
60 ml Rice Vinegar
30 ml Sugar
5 ml Salt

(1) Prepare your vinegar-water solution called tezu. 250 ml of water
30 ml of rice vinegar
5 ml of salt.

http://tinyurl.com/ynxfzv

Wash the rice several times until the water runs fairly clear when draining. Let your wash rice strain for 30 minutes.

Cook The Rice
Cover tightly and simmer at lowest heat allowing the rice to steam for 18 minutes. You must leave it covered

Mix the vinegar, sugar and salt together in a small saucepan. Heat the mixture until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and let your sushi vinegar cool to room temperature.

Take a wooden spatula or spoon and cut and fold the rice. Be gentle as you do not want to smash the cooked grains.

Moisten your bowl with a cloth dampened with your TEZU mixture. The traditional bowl to use is the flat-bottomed wooden sushi oke or hangiri. The porous wood absorbs excess moisture and the large surface allows the rice to cool more quickly and evenly.

Put the hot rice into your mixing bowl and add 1/4 of the sushi vinegar solution. Mix with a folding motion so as to not smash your perfect sushi rice. Repeat until all sushi vinegar is used.

Fan Your Rice
After mixing, fan [electric fan will work] the hot rice mixture for about 5 or 6 minutes in order to remove excess moisture and create a glossy shine to your rice. Your rice should have a slight chewiness and be sticky to the touch.

You're Done

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Pudding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Chef Jamie Gregorich eliminated from 'Hell's Ki... (Aug '11) Wed dmw 5
Wally's Frozen Custard in St. Clair Shores (Feb '14) Aug 28 Hunkey Howies 195
10 tasty spots around town to find frozen custard Jul '14 Phil McCracken 2
10 things you must know & do in Australia Jun '14 Jake Barnes 4
Tennis tourney participants rave about renovate... Jun '14 Mama 1
The Ten Most Dangerous Foods Found In Las Vegas Mar '14 drtfhjrtfjhdyjkjk... 1
Its all homemade at Hometown Restaurant in Pete... (Jun '13) Mar '14 curious 17
•••

Pudding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE