Marianne's Ice Cream shop for sale for $1.4 million

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Sam Lieberman, who has run Marianne's Ice Cream for 50 years, would like to retire, so he's put the Santa Cruz institution up for sale .
Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Aug 16, 2012
Crazy Jew

Portland, OR

#3 Aug 29, 2008
Dam that Sam, a million bucks for ice cream?
Lido

Daly City, CA

#4 Aug 29, 2008
And life goes on !
Praise Sam not dam

San Francisco, CA

#5 Aug 29, 2008
Who are you to have an opinion on the man or what he values his business at.

Do you recall that he already sold it once, and then took it back when the person he sold it to started destroying the stores reputation by doing crummy business and mediocre ice cream? I do.

Full props to Sam for 50 years of great ice cream and memories; he and Marianne's are iconic, and for good reason.
Tucker

Salt Lake City, UT

#11 Aug 29, 2008
Just a friendly heads-up Jondi, this would be considered a "business acquisition" loan, most likely on either a 7 or 10 year amortization, far from the quoted 30-year fixed payment you quoted from Keller Williams.

This would be SBA or seller-finance all the way, and is definitely not a "residential" deal.
what

San Francisco, CA

#12 Aug 29, 2008
he tried to sell a couple years back with no bites in the 900ks...... lets see if this works for him. You can probably get some sweet discounts at the grog shop if you buy in....
Laura

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Aug 29, 2008
Mariane's is good, but I hope whoever takes it over does a bit of research and tries out some of the really great ice cream around the country. I've never understood why Santa Cruz didn't have great ice cream -- it just seems as though it *should*, being a "summer" type of place.
SSS

Moreno Valley, CA

#15 Aug 30, 2008
sweet!
Crazy Jew

Portland, OR

#17 Aug 30, 2008
Praise Sam not dam wrote:
Who are you to have an opinion on the man or what he values his business at.
Do you recall that he already sold it once, and then took it back when the person he sold it to started destroying the stores reputation by doing crummy business and mediocre ice cream? I do.
Full props to Sam for 50 years of great ice cream and memories; he and Marianne's are iconic, and for good reason.
Who am I? Sam I am, green eggs and ham.
grup

United States

#20 Aug 30, 2008
I'd buy it but I spent all my money on Mariane's Ice Cream!
Pajaroite

San Jose, CA

#21 Aug 30, 2008
Great ice cream. Outrageous price!
Danielle

Tahoe City, CA

#22 Sep 3, 2008
Since I was in Kindergarten and my sister was in 4th Grade at Holy Cross, my family of 4 would go to Marianne's for EVERY GOOD REPORT CARD- that's a lot of visits. Sometimes our friends would get in on the deal, but it's always been a family tradition- sad to see it change hands- waffle sundaes for everyone! Sam is the best "ice cream man" I've ever known... don't even need to hear "The Entertainer" chiming down the street- i know where i go for good ice cream!
Jamie C

Seaside, CA

#23 Sep 9, 2008
For the love of all that is holy, please whoever buys this place don't change it too much - Mariannes is classic, and the best ice cream I've ever had in my life!!
Marty

Fremont, CA

#24 May 6, 2009
Pajaroite wrote:
Great ice cream. Outrageous price!
Too true.
CapMom

Millbrae, CA

#25 May 6, 2009
mmmm...chocolate cinnamon...wish I had a million bucks
buzzmeok

Santa Clara, CA

#26 Jan 27, 2012
Good ice cream but bad service. I will never go there again. Rude kids that work there went there on 1/27/2012 a girl named Ariel was very rude and there was guy there to was not friendly. I give 5 stars for food 0 for service
SClover82

United States

#27 Feb 14, 2012
I was raised on this ice cream and I love it. I was served by Ariel in my visit back to SC this week. She couldn't have been sweeter, or more enthusiastic about her place of work and the city she lives in. As a person interested in the sale of the business doing a little research, I noticed you have cut and pasted this little dig on other sites too, listing the girls name and the date as if you'd like to get her and her coworker in trouble. Maybe it's better if you DON'T go back. Quit passively trying to tattle on young girls scooping ice cream for minimum wage while you're at it too.
meow

Marquette, MI

#28 Mar 12, 2012
Jamie C wrote:
For the love of all that is holy, please whoever buys this place don't change it too much - Mariannes is classic, and the best ice cream I've ever had in my life!!
oh yeah and the memories i went there as a babe with my mom took my kids now we got 4 generations goin there no wait!!5 generations it could taste old n gritty n i think we"d still go back if just to step away from here n now for a few minutes n walk in the footsteps of our "ancient ones" hum sigh yes please dont change it!!!! it is one of the few "holy places" left haha like under the board walk ...haha it is please for real dont change it...
SCNative

Mountain View, CA

#29 Aug 8, 2012
I used to work at Mariannes when I was just out of High School in the 80s and the quality of the ice cream is still as good as ever. Of course the price is high but what do you expect for that quality of ice cream.

I worked for the people who he sold it to first time and I'm glad he got it back....they were awful. Young and inexperienced couple who tried to change it their way.....go with what works

I really hope who ever buys it will continue the same quality ice cream that we all love. We used to get the bubble gum ice cream ....LOVED IT. It was our family treat at the end of the week.

Good Luck Sam.....you gave us a place that we will never forget.
DBS

Foster City, CA

#30 Aug 16, 2012
meow wrote:
<quoted text>oh yeah and the memories i went there as a babe with my mom took my kids now we got 4 generations goin there no wait!!5 generations it could taste old n gritty n i think we"d still go back if just to step away from here n now for a few minutes n walk in the footsteps of our "ancient ones" hum sigh yes please dont change it!!!! it is one of the few "holy places" left haha like under the board walk ...haha it is please for real dont change it...
So parents in your family line are never older than 13 when they give birth?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dessert Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wally's Frozen Custard in St. Clair Shores (Feb '14) Thu Hunkey Howies 195
Sandovals buy Shore Pointe building for $11M (Dec '06) Thu Sir Samuel 2
Now Michelle Obama Has Caused America's 'Best C... Aug 23 Sunshine 1
National Banana Split Day: Celebrate on a budget Aug 23 Bill 1
Texas' Perry smiles for mug shot, gets ice cream Aug 21 GOLDSTONE REPORT 1
Bake sale law? New guidelines put the squeeze o... Aug 8 Jim the Hoax Denier 2
No Birthday Cake at Texas Schools? Aug 6 Go Blue Forever 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••