Why do I often crave eating clay?

Full story: GoErie.com 8,457
Q I have a habit that I have developed off and on for the past two years. I love the taste of clay. Full Story
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#1637 Jun 21, 2012
Yeah, I ate about 1 1/2lbs of it and while it taste great, I itched severely and my joints hurt terribly all over like I had arthritis or something. That happened ONLY when I ate it so... my advice, stay away form it.
ClayLover wrote:
Anyone ever eat external use indian calium bentonite clay? Just curious as to why it is external use only- I am anemic and dry out clay for edible use.addict!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#1638 Jun 21, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
All Things Clay, as I type this to you I am trying to think of areas here where I could go and get some fresh clean clay to munch on. Am concerned about the aluminum content of it so must be careful. Probably why I havent dug up the backyard yet. Chalkstone/marl is available too. But I satisfy my urge with raw oats altho that only last for a very short while. Have to find a way to get the DE and clay mixes here much cheaper. The healing clay is absolutely creamy when wetted and dried but its harmful to the body so cant eat that. What do you do for clay?
<quoted text>
I travel quite a lot, so stock up supplies where and when I can. I have also ordered online, but the shipping is so expensive.

I have a variety of things, not just clay itself. For now my main things are DE and cornstarch. I have never tried raw oats, will have to give that a try. I also sometimes have clay that isn't marketed as edible but prefer not to do this and do not recommend it just in case.

There is supposed to be red clay here, but I do not have a source for it - I will have to try harder to locate it (if I knew there was some in my back yard I would be digging for sure lol!)
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#1639 Jun 22, 2012
Heard that about the shipping cost. That can run well over US$300 to get some here. Seems there's really something to this cornstarch. Have to try it. Does it make good chunks and do u get even a slight earthy satisfaction from it?
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
I travel quite a lot, so stock up supplies where and when I can. I have also ordered online, but the shipping is so expensive.
I have a variety of things, not just clay itself. For now my main things are DE and cornstarch. I have never tried raw oats, will have to give that a try. I also sometimes have clay that isn't marketed as edible but prefer not to do this and do not recommend it just in case.
There is supposed to be red clay here, but I do not have a source for it - I will have to try harder to locate it (if I knew there was some in my back yard I would be digging for sure lol!)
ackee

Bronx, NY

#1640 Jun 22, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
Heard that about the shipping cost. That can run well over US$300 to get some here. Seems there's really something to this cornstarch. Have to try it. Does it make good chunks and do u get even a slight earthy satisfaction from it? <quoted text>
How much clay do you buy that the shipping is so much ? Is that like a years supply? That is alot of money.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#1641 Jun 22, 2012
I am all out of clay. I ate my last piece about 2 weeks ago and I tell you I am craving for some really bad. I have had clay on the brain for awhile now. I have been thinking about it and my mouth is just watering up. It is raining and I could go for I little bite right about now. I just enjoy eating it. When I had it in my possession I did not eat that much. I ate a little piece now and then but now I am out and it is all I think about.

I treated myself to a little box and did want to eat it all so I shared. It was expensive but I really wanted. Mutt and Jeff has been out for awhile they are the cheapest. OH WEll!
All things clay

Hamilton, Bermuda

#1642 Jun 22, 2012
Caribbean clay lover wrote:
Heard that about the shipping cost. That can run well over US$300 to get some here. Seems there's really something to this cornstarch. Have to try it. Does it make good chunks and do u get even a slight earthy satisfaction from it? <quoted text>
Wow, that is a lot for shipping. I thought it was expensive to get stuff here.

Try cornstarch at your own risk lol! Seriously, though, it can be very addictive. You may find that you do not like it though, not all of us do.

I used to be a fairly big cornstarch addict, on average about half a box a day but sometimes a whole box. Back then I just ate it straight from the box (had tried making chunks, but they didn't come out good). I don't think it's healthy to eat cornstarch like that, and I was worried too about all that processed corn and whether it was genetically modified. It's also full of calories, although I didn't seem to gain much from it (probably because I wasn't eating a lot of real food, I preferred the starch).

Got myself off cornstarch, but I'm now back on it but don't eat anywhere near as much - I can go a week or more without it now. I've tried a couple of 'recipes' that people have put on here for making it better and for making chunks - adding a little water and putting it in the freezer (or just in the freezer without water) is good. Someone had a recipe on here about a week or so ago giving details for baking it, if you go back you should find it. I tried it, had a hard time mixing it, maybe I did something wrong, but after baking the chunks came out fine.

Cornstarch isn't earthy, at least I don't find it to be, but for some people it does satisfy the craving and I guess the good things going for it are that it is meant to be eaten (although not the way we do), is available in stores, and is cheap. I suggest you read up as much as possible before trying it. When I was on it heavy I wished I'd never tried the stuff (I supposed I had a love-hate relationship with it).
Anonymous

United States

#1643 Jun 23, 2012
Just finished eating the egglike shaped clay from ghana, wow.. Amazing. Got it from the African market.. It was soooooo smooth and creamy. Gosh i cant describe it.but i eat it once or twice in amonth and i drink lots of water too..please dont over eat it, can cause health problems.. But i love it. Enjoy your clay
Corn strach eater

Woodbridge, VA

#1644 Jun 23, 2012
Ayilo eater wrote:
Just finished eating the egglike shaped clay from ghana, wow.. Amazing. Got it from the African market.. It was soooooo smooth and creamy. Gosh i cant describe it.but i eat it once or twice in amonth and i drink lots of water too..please dont over eat it, can cause health problems.. But i love it. Enjoy your clay
Where do u live I would love to try some
Ish

Slough, UK

#1645 Jun 23, 2012
@ Aliyo eater, where did u get this clay from?
Ish

Slough, UK

#1646 Jun 23, 2012
I m from India and used to eat a lot of roasted clay back there, here I have visited so many Indian supermarket but nobody is selling it, does any one knows if it is possible to buy edible Indian clay here in UK?
Ish

Slough, UK

#1647 Jun 23, 2012
flyy girl wrote:
<quoted text>
i get my clay from an indian supermarket called brue grove supermarket take the bus 243, w4 or 123 dendng on where u live i live in wood green so 243 is thebest bus to take.get back to me on darcy303@homail.com
Hi Flyy girl, do this shop in still selling this clay?
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#1648 Jun 23, 2012
Actually I was tryin to get some sort of lifetime supply Ackee lol. So that cost is for about 55lbs. Found this site that sells it in bulk http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/clay/clay.ht...
Seems pretty good altho theyre now out of the bulk green clay which sucks.
ackee wrote:
<quoted text>
How much clay do you buy that the shipping is so much ? Is that like a years supply? That is alot of money.
Caribbean clay lover

Kingston, Jamaica

#1649 Jun 23, 2012
All, I had my first spoon of cornstarch today. Wasnt bad. The texture of it in the mouth is soothing so I can see why its addictive. Have to be real careful around it lol.
All things clay wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, that is a lot for shipping. I thought it was expensive to get stuff here.
Try cornstarch at your own risk lol! Seriously, though, it can be very addictive. You may find that you do not like it though, not all of us do.
I used to be a fairly big cornstarch addict, on average about half a box a day but sometimes a whole box. Back then I just ate it straight from the box (had tried making chunks, but they didn't come out good). I don't think it's healthy to eat cornstarch like that, and I was worried too about all that processed corn and whether it was genetically modified. It's also full of calories, although I didn't seem to gain much from it (probably because I wasn't eating a lot of real food, I preferred the starch).
Got myself off cornstarch, but I'm now back on it but don't eat anywhere near as much - I can go a week or more without it now. I've tried a couple of 'recipes' that people have put on here for making it better and for making chunks - adding a little water and putting it in the freezer (or just in the freezer without water) is good. Someone had a recipe on here about a week or so ago giving details for baking it, if you go back you should find it. I tried it, had a hard time mixing it, maybe I did something wrong, but after baking the chunks came out fine.
Cornstarch isn't earthy, at least I don't find it to be, but for some people it does satisfy the craving and I guess the good things going for it are that it is meant to be eaten (although not the way we do), is available in stores, and is cheap. I suggest you read up as much as possible before trying it. When I was on it heavy I wished I'd never tried the stuff (I supposed I had a love-hate relationship with it).
HazelEyes

Waxahachie, TX

#1650 Jun 23, 2012
I like eatting red clay dirt, does anyone knowwhere I ca ordersome online.
ackee

Bronx, NY

#1651 Jun 24, 2012
I have tried a little cornstarch. I do not like it much. It does not have that earth taste. I think that is what is lacking other than that the texture is fine. I like the chunk clay because I like the crunch then the smooth texture than comes after having it in my mouth for awhile. I am trying to find some at a more reasonable price. The shipping an handling can really send you over the limit. I guess if I want it bad enough I better start saving my pennies and treat myself again. I just love clay.
Chalk lover

London, UK

#1652 Jun 24, 2012
Ish wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Flyy girl, do this shop in still selling this clay?
Hi Ish, They most likely are still selling it. I went there about a year ago and I was searching up and down the isle but it was right next to the till on the bottom shelf. They sell it in little clear plastic bags with about 4-5 cylinder shaped pieces per bag. They tasted slightly ashy and burned, are quite gritty and crumble in the mouth. When you bit into it you can see that is has many different clay pieces in it. At first I didn't like it at all. Then it grew on me until I ate the two packs I bought. I haven't had any since though.

Hope this helps

Since: May 12

UK

#1653 Jun 24, 2012
Corn strach eater wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do u get your because i feel your does not have lead in it.
Sorry, it took a while to reply...
I get most of my clay aka Nzu from Nigeria....
It's got from any where in Nigeria caus I have Nzu bought from both eastern and southern parts of Nigeria sent to London for me...:-)
mzlibra

United States

#1654 Jun 24, 2012
How's everyone doing? I finished my box of cornstarch. I tried something a lil different. I put a some water in it, let it set for a couple of days, put it in the microwave for 20 seconds.....I licked the bowl clean...I enjoyed the crunch! I just got another box....food lion brand again...I've had 4 spoonfuls. Sometimes I like it crunchy and sometimes just straight from the box. I also went to the vitamin store and purchased aloe vera...it helps with digestion. Since I eat a lot of cornstarch I decided to drink that (2oz) twice a day.....continuing to drink water too...
clay lover

Columbus, OH

#1655 Jun 24, 2012
i've been eating clay since i was a child and i love it. the only kind i've been eating is white clay. i will like to try the red type too if someone can send me some.i have a very good and reliable source from Ghana and afer reading this blog, i wish i could supply some to those who want. if you are interested,let me know so that i can see how best to bring some in to supply you guys.
clay lover

Columbus, OH

#1656 Jun 24, 2012
Hey, i've been looking fcor this Ghana type but can't seem to find it any. Is possible you can send me some?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Food Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Famous Joe's Legendary Mexican Food offer authe... (Nov '11) 55 min Mark 9
Go For the Food: Bryant's barbecue in Kansas City 5 hr ghazipur khabar 1
Pass mayor: Steady progress, growth since Hurri... 8 hr oysters 1
Where to get your non-latte pumpkin fix in Atlanta 13 hr Zioe conumdromer 1
How Would You like Manly Scented Candles? (Jun '11) 16 hr Zach 5
Keene Is Not Fergusona "Despite the Police, Fir... 21 hr Sympathizer 3
Panel: Vitamins & Supplements May Not Be Worth ... (Dec '13) 21 hr Glachealth 3

Food People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE