just a footnote

Pikeville, KY

#82 Jun 1, 2012
i know the guy playing johnse was wayyyyyy damn good looking, go find a real pic of him online, maybe he was a ladies man but the ladies werent much to look at either, roseanna was better looking than nancy, but just by a hair
Same as Now

Clay City, KY

#83 Jun 1, 2012
The Hatfield & McCoy saga in historical light is the story of how a whole region was destroyed and raped by greed from outside interest. Yes Randall McCoy was jealous of Devil Anse Hatfield and the lawyer Perry Cline coveted his timber and tried to cheat him out of it. Before coal there was timber and after the large coal deposits were discovered the rush was on to get a railroad into the area. This is where Devil Anse made his money, selling timber. I don’t know how many contracts he had for timber for the railroad but I assume a lot of his timber went to the railroad. The North East speculators come in here and bought the coal and the mineral for pennies on the acre, the Mayo Broad Form Deed just the same as stole the land. Slick greasy lawyers like Perry Cline were the fathers of the parasite’s that do the coal corporations dirty work for them today. There would have been no hog trial if Perry Cline had not agitated and pushed Randal McCoy to do it. He was mad because he lost his bid to get the ol mans timber. If Devil Anse Hatfield had shot Perry Cline when he tried to steal his timber there would not have been a feud. With no lawyer to keep things stirred up and trying to ruin the Devil Anse financially the feud would have not happened. The Hatfield’s could have saved a lot of ammo and trouble if they had just shot the shyster lawyer first.
Smiley

Pikeville, KY

#84 Jun 1, 2012
I watched all 3 nights.I would be ashamed to say I was from either family.They were drunks,cussin and to say they were moral people of God,was a total joke.I'm happy to see that the families today have some sense.Who would let their family and their children be destroyed and killed over property and a pig!What a heart breaking story.Johnse was the only one that had any mind at all.It was a bunch of hotheads showing power over the other.Jim Vance and the lawyer was the leaders in it all.Devil Anse was guided by a mad man,and Randall McCoy was misguided by the lawyer.So, so sad,it has really bothered me,to know all the lives taken,and in the end for what?
whiskey

Winchester, KY

#85 Jun 1, 2012
Smiley wrote:
I watched all 3 nights.I would be ashamed to say I was from either family.They were drunks,cussin and to say they were moral people of God,was a total joke.I'm happy to see that the families today have some sense.Who would let their family and their children be destroyed and killed over property and a pig!What a heart breaking story.Johnse was the only one that had any mind at all.It was a bunch of hotheads showing power over the other.Jim Vance and the lawyer was the leaders in it all.Devil Anse was guided by a mad man,and Randall McCoy was misguided by the lawyer.So, so sad,it has really bothered me,to know all the lives taken,and in the end for what?
smiley.once you understand its a portrayed movie of what happend an not the real thing you won,t have to be so sad.also you have to understand in that day an time hogs an chickens.alone with gardens.really was peoples livelyhood in this Area.
Yellow Press

Clay City, KY

#86 Jun 1, 2012
whiskey wrote:
<quoted text>smiley.once you understand its a portrayed movie of what happend an not the real thing you won,t have to be so sad.also you have to understand in that day an time hogs an chickens.alone with gardens.really was peoples livelyhood in this Area.
The Yellow Press from back in that time is what added to the lies and confusion of what really happened. The sensational journalism of the period knew nothing of checking sources or facts, they just wanted sales so truth and facts were few and far between in their reporting.
A lot of the feud folklore and history was fabricated by the sensational jounalism of the North East papers and they are the ones responsible for the stereotypical backward Hillbilly designation that got laid on us and we live under today. The TV shows like Beverly Hillbilly's and early Mountain Dew commercials added to the dumb, backward, backwoods hillbilly stereotype. If you believe that the Beverly Hillbilly's was an sccurate portrayal of the people from Appalachia then you will probably believe this B movie that Costner directed. He may have come in and did research but the research was already polluted by yellow jounalism and people embellishing the story for profit.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#87 Jun 1, 2012
Same as Now wrote:
The Hatfield & McCoy saga in historical light is the story of how a whole region was destroyed and raped by greed from outside interest. Yes Randall McCoy was jealous of Devil Anse Hatfield and the lawyer Perry Cline coveted his timber and tried to cheat him out of it. Before coal there was timber and after the large coal deposits were discovered the rush was on to get a railroad into the area. This is where Devil Anse made his money, selling timber. I don’t know how many contracts he had for timber for the railroad but I assume a lot of his timber went to the railroad. The North East speculators come in here and bought the coal and the mineral for pennies on the acre, the Mayo Broad Form Deed just the same as stole the land. Slick greasy lawyers like Perry Cline were the fathers of the parasite’s that do the coal corporations dirty work for them today. There would have been no hog trial if Perry Cline had not agitated and pushed Randal McCoy to do it. He was mad because he lost his bid to get the ol mans timber. If Devil Anse Hatfield had shot Perry Cline when he tried to steal his timber there would not have been a feud. With no lawyer to keep things stirred up and trying to ruin the Devil Anse financially the feud would have not happened. The Hatfield’s could have saved a lot of ammo and trouble if they had just shot the shyster lawyer first.
Murdering a cousin of mine would piss me off, so yeah, when Jim Vance (a Hatfield) shot Harmon McCoy, a man who fought for the Union (and therefore, Amerika), just b/c he was doing right, and fighting against slavery. Too bad Ky aint into doing what's right. It's be racist bastards, or be damned. Yeah, shooting my family member, that would start a feud all right.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#88 Jun 1, 2012
Smiley wrote:
I watched all 3 nights.I would be ashamed to say I was from either family.They were drunks,cussin and to say they were moral people of God,was a total joke.I'm happy to see that the families today have some sense.Who would let their family and their children be destroyed and killed over property and a pig!What a heart breaking story.Johnse was the only one that had any mind at all.It was a bunch of hotheads showing power over the other.Jim Vance and the lawyer was the leaders in it all.Devil Anse was guided by a mad man,and Randall McCoy was misguided by the lawyer.So, so sad,it has really bothered me,to know all the lives taken,and in the end for what?
Good points about who Devil Anse and Randall McCoy had around them (Perry Cline and Jim Vance)... many times, their friends are the bosses, at least, their inner circle carries lots of power... just like anybody else.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#89 Jun 1, 2012
Yellow Press wrote:
<quoted text>
The Yellow Press from back in that time is what added to the lies and confusion of what really happened. The sensational journalism of the period knew nothing of checking sources or facts, they just wanted sales so truth and facts were few and far between in their reporting.
A lot of the feud folklore and history was fabricated by the sensational jounalism of the North East papers and they are the ones responsible for the stereotypical backward Hillbilly designation that got laid on us and we live under today. The TV shows like Beverly Hillbilly's and early Mountain Dew commercials added to the dumb, backward, backwoods hillbilly stereotype. If you believe that the Beverly Hillbilly's was an sccurate portrayal of the people from Appalachia then you will probably believe this B movie that Costner directed. He may have come in and did research but the research was already polluted by yellow jounalism and people embellishing the story for profit.
We got yellow press today, who only prints what govt officials say, without any scrutiny whatsoever. And Ky has a hillbilly stereotype b/c there's a ton of hillbillies here. We can complain about the "perception" of people, sure, but that doesn't change the illiteracy, the mental health issues, meth, fascism, guns, alcohol, moonshine... poverty, lack of jobs and healthcare and education, etc
Its Hollywood

Somerset, KY

#90 Jun 1, 2012
Same as Now wrote:
The Hatfield & McCoy saga in historical light is the story of how a whole region was destroyed and raped by greed from outside interest. Yes Randall McCoy was jealous of Devil Anse Hatfield and the lawyer Perry Cline coveted his timber and tried to cheat him out of it. Before coal there was timber and after the large coal deposits were discovered the rush was on to get a railroad into the area. This is where Devil Anse made his money, selling timber. I don’t know how many contracts he had for timber for the railroad but I assume a lot of his timber went to the railroad. The North East speculators come in here and bought the coal and the mineral for pennies on the acre, the Mayo Broad Form Deed just the same as stole the land. Slick greasy lawyers like Perry Cline were the fathers of the parasite’s that do the coal corporations dirty work for them today. There would have been no hog trial if Perry Cline had not agitated and pushed Randal McCoy to do it. He was mad because he lost his bid to get the ol mans timber. If Devil Anse Hatfield had shot Perry Cline when he tried to steal his timber there would not have been a feud. With no lawyer to keep things stirred up and trying to ruin the Devil Anse financially the feud would have not happened. The Hatfield’s could have saved a lot of ammo and trouble if they had just shot the shyster lawyer first.
While there was a Perry Cline in the ago there isn't historical evidence to support the idea that Devil Anse took 5,000 acres of timber rights from him. That was Hollywood's way of getting Cline more involved. There were a lot of facts in the movie series that happened but this wasn't one of them. Another thing about Johnse that someone mentioned he was the only one with sense....Johnse was consider Devil Anse's right hand man at the height of the feud. In fact he wen to prison for Alifair's murder...he served 13 years of a life sentence. He wasn't the heroic type that the movie portrayed. In fact he ran from the law for 10 years before being caught and tried for the murder. The movie showed 3 people going to jail for the girls murder but it was more like 9 of them total...including Wall who didn't turn himself in but was captured. Again Hollywood magic sometimes twists the truth but makes for a good story.
Its Hollywood

Somerset, KY

#91 Jun 1, 2012
Smiley wrote:
I watched all 3 nights.I would be ashamed to say I was from either family.They were drunks,cussin and to say they were moral people of God,was a total joke.I'm happy to see that the families today have some sense.Who would let their family and their children be destroyed and killed over property and a pig!What a heart breaking story.Johnse was the only one that had any mind at all.It was a bunch of hotheads showing power over the other.Jim Vance and the lawyer was the leaders in it all.Devil Anse was guided by a mad man,and Randall McCoy was misguided by the lawyer.So, so sad,it has really bothered me,to know all the lives taken,and in the end for what?
Might want to check up on the actual history of the feud.....Johnse was just as bad as the rest of them.
Stupid and Wrong

Clay City, KY

#92 Jun 1, 2012
Chief Red Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
Murdering a cousin of mine would piss me off, so yeah, when Jim Vance (a Hatfield) shot Harmon McCoy, a man who fought for the Union (and therefore, Amerika), just b/c he was doing right, and fighting against slavery. Too bad Ky aint into doing what's right. It's be racist bastards, or be damned. Yeah, shooting my family member, that would start a feud all right.
Even the Union here fought for States rights more than anything else, not so much into the emancipation proclimation. That is why they will never make a movie of the Battle of Salt Creek Virginia and try to wipe it out of the history books. The Union forces from here got into it with the black Union Troops and the Rebels had to wait for them to quit fighting before they could get into the frey. At first they thought it was some kind of ruse then when they finally figured out what was going on they were laughing to hard to fight.
You know nothing of the area, the sentiments of the people of the time that were but one generation removed from old Virginia, whom they had more allegience to. It was more about States rights even for the people that come in here from Ohio and other parts north.
Yes there was bad blood over the Civil War and the carpetbaggers made it worse with reconstruction and trying to make people pay restitution. Both sides burning all the split rail fence for camp fires did not help with the disputes that followed over land boundaries. The lawyers as now was the main cause of the feud and race had little or nothing to do with it. We did not have blacks in here at the time until the early 1900's when the coal mines needed more cheap labor. Most of them worked in the Union mines and helped with the labor struggles in Mingo and Logan County WVa. They fought side by side with the rednecks at Blair Mountain and were a part of the mining community for years until the Unions went down and the industrial north offered better economic opportunities. By the times the blacks come in here they were all black, it just washed off the white miners at the end of the shift..and before you start I do not use the term afro-american. If the black man ain't full American by now they never will be, they have as much to do with africa as I do England. They are fully vested after about 400 years on the continent now and had no part or parcial in this feud at this time..The education system in Louisville leaves a whole lot to be desired.
TheRealMcCoy

Jackson, KY

#93 Jun 1, 2012
Randolph McCoy is my 3rd Great Uncle.
This feud is new to alot of people in america since this movie came out.
But its an old family story that i've been told about and studied since i was a child.
The movie had alot of altercations from what happened in real life.
I just hope people remember it and respect it.
Its a piece of History that many overlook and take no time to understand.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#94 Jun 1, 2012
Stupid and Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the Union here fought for States rights more than anything else, not so much into the emancipation proclimation. That is why they will never make a movie of the Battle of Salt Creek Virginia and try to wipe it out of the history books. The Union forces from here got into it with the black Union Troops and the Rebels had to wait for them to quit fighting before they could get into the frey. At first they thought it was some kind of ruse then when they finally figured out what was going on they were laughing to hard to fight.
You know nothing of the area, the sentiments of the people of the time that were but one generation removed from old Virginia, whom they had more allegience to. It was more about States rights even for the people that come in here from Ohio and other parts north.
Yes there was bad blood over the Civil War and the carpetbaggers made it worse with reconstruction and trying to make people pay restitution. Both sides burning all the split rail fence for camp fires did not help with the disputes that followed over land boundaries. The lawyers as now was the main cause of the feud and race had little or nothing to do with it. We did not have blacks in here at the time until the early 1900's when the coal mines needed more cheap labor. Most of them worked in the Union mines and helped with the labor struggles in Mingo and Logan County WVa. They fought side by side with the rednecks at Blair Mountain and were a part of the mining community for years until the Unions went down and the industrial north offered better economic opportunities. By the times the blacks come in here they were all black, it just washed off the white miners at the end of the shift..and before you start I do not use the term afro-american. If the black man ain't full American by now they never will be, they have as much to do with africa as I do England. They are fully vested after about 400 years on the continent now and had no part or parcial in this feud at this time..The education system in Louisville leaves a whole lot to be desired.
I know u a douche bag, and I know that u wyte racists Confederates use "states rights" to defend ur racism. U racist as hell and u know it.
Chief Red Bird

Louisville, KY

#95 Jun 1, 2012
Look at ur language... u dont speak Kentucky Shawnee. U speak European gibberish. And f wyte racists. A person can themselves whatever they want. U racist as hell. It's very clear. U aint clever nor funny. U a shallow wyte racist loser. And since all of human civilization came from Africa, that makes us all African-American. Amerika is beautiful b/c we are a conglomeration of lots of nations... and if u dont believe that, time to go back home, u illegal immigrant terrorist honkey pinko stinko gringo paleface cracka European lesion. None of this is ur land.
Supporter

Summersville, WV

#97 Jun 1, 2012
The reason the movie wasn't filmed in WV or KY where it all happened is it would cost too much money to clean up the trash from the creeks and trees on the streambank.
hatfield

Farmington, NM

#98 Jun 1, 2012
how many hatfield's have married McCoy's? and did the peace treaty that was signed in 1938 (as in the movie) help the people of ky and wv get along?

“Liberals hate free speech!”

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#100 Jun 1, 2012
TheRealMcCoy wrote:
Randolph McCoy is my 3rd Great Uncle.
This feud is new to alot of people in america since this movie came out.
But its an old family story that i've been told about and studied since i was a child.
The movie had alot of altercations from what happened in real life.
I just hope people remember it and respect it.
Its a piece of History that many overlook and take no time to understand.
It was an interesting movie. I was raised in the Notheastern part of Ky. I had heard about this for a long time. I went to school with some McCoys. The same blood-line, I don't know. I hope the History Channel told the story as accurate as it could.
Still Crying

Richmond, KY

#101 Jun 1, 2012
Chief Red Bird wrote:
<quoted text>
I know u a douche bag, and I know that u wyte racists Confederates use "states rights" to defend ur racism. U racist as hell and u know it.
I know a bleedin heart when I hear one, always blame the white man for thier troubles. I know that my great grand pappy did not own any slaves and I be damned if I am going to have this crap laid on me. This happened after the civil war, what few slaves in here before were freed. Never any cotton in the Tug or Tobbaco, what the hell they did in the southern part of the state back then is up to someone else to worry about.

An ignorant POS that only knows what Jessie and Al Sharpton tell them...to bad they freed you azz and never your mind...
Chief Sitinfullofit

Elkhorn City, KY

#102 Jun 1, 2012
_Crack Rabbit_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well....I Heard It Couldn’t Be Filmed In The States Where The Damn Fued Actually Took Place......Because The Producer Said That He was Afraid That They Would Be Shooting a Scene Where a Hatfield Was a Stabbing and a Shooting The Shit Out Of a McCoy....and Out Of No Where....a Damn Local Pill Head On a Four Wheeler....With His Welfare Check In His Back Pocket....A Wearing a Hat That says....{I BREAK FOR FOOD STAMPS} Come a Flying Across The Picture Screen!!!.......
It Would Have Ruined The Whole Damn Movie......
Now I Know This To Be Probable Facticious Fiction....Because I'm a Direct Decendant Of Both Families....Because After They Got Through a Fighting....They Begain To Do The Other F Word....Which Produced My Generation....The McFields and The HatCoys!!!....
And I'll Fight Anyone!!!....But There Can't Be No Hitting In The Face....Or Pulling Hair....and No Scratching!!!....Unless One Of Us Is Itching....Then It Can Only Be {Mild} Scratching....
Save the day findly some class back on topix ?
old timer

Richmond, VA

#103 Jun 1, 2012
I heard wrote:
<quoted text>
Did Randall McCoy operate a ferry across the river to Pikeville before the bridges were put in..I hear he did that after the feud for several years..a flat boat ferry I think..
why would you need a ferry, most of the time you could walk across the river.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entertainment Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 min cpeter1313 306,611
Nominee questions fairness of Taiwan film awards 2 hr TW_sugar_daddio 2
Earthlings to send 90,000 hellos to Mars 2 hr Andarz Abedini 1
The Cranes Are Flying 3 hr b_rad_ 4
topix chat room about anything (Jan '08) 3 hr Big mike 541
Peaceful protests Reguarding Ferguson 12 hr jillmariemeyer23 1
Former Bills star Talley suffers from depression 14 hr Dr Flatus 2
Proof Even Jennifer Aniston's Friends Have No I... Thu Benny 1

Entertainment People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE