Solar energy has a dark side

Feb 22, 2013 Full story: The Times

The federal government also offers a 30 percent tax credit for these systems. This sounds great because who doesn't want to save 80 percent on anything, especially when it will reduce those high electric bills? Perhaps a closer look at this issue will enlighten Louisiana taxpayers who are now faced with Gov.

Full Story
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#1 Feb 22, 2013
".....even with the tax credit, since an installed system can easily cost $20,000 or more before the credits are applied. Let the major power companies spend their money on large scale solar systems and stop making the Louisiana taxpayers fund a program that will benefit such a small group."

For less than a good used car ONCE, you can decrease or eliminate your electric bill for life. If the power companies fund large scale solar generation systems, you'll still pay for the construction and maintenance of the project. What's the problem with taking responsibility of one's daily power requirements?
lolololololololo lo

Springfield, MA

#2 Feb 22, 2013
Solarman wrote:
".....even with the tax credit, since an installed system can easily cost $20,000 or more before the credits are applied. Let the major power companies spend their money on large scale solar systems and stop making the Louisiana taxpayers fund a program that will benefit such a small group."
For less than a good used car ONCE, you can decrease or eliminate your electric bill for life. If the power companies fund large scale solar generation systems, you'll still pay for the construction and maintenance of the project. What's the problem with taking responsibility of one's daily power requirements?
even if you put solar in your house, first you have to make the requirement, where you house is facing ect ect ect it will take you 20 years to get you money back, i looked into it here in mass, yea it sounds like a great deal, but if your not rich forget it. and in reality if the hole united states went solor it would only help maby 10 percent of ALL ELECTRIC WE USE
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#3 Feb 22, 2013
lololololololololo wrote:
<quoted text>even if you put solar in your house, first you have to make the requirement, where you house is facing ect ect ect it will take you 20 years to get you money back, i looked into it here in mass, yea it sounds like a great deal, but if your not rich forget it. and in reality if the hole united states went solor it would only help maby 10 percent of ALL ELECTRIC WE USE
In Springfield maybe, here it works and works well. NO, you don't have to be rich, I'm not. For the price of a good used car ONCE you can substantially decrease or eliminate your electric bill for life. Now there are single panel, micro-inverter systems that can be added to over a period of years. You don't know how many years it will take to get one's money back. When I had my system installed in 2005, the "projected" payoff period was 22 years. A couple of rate increases later and it had decreased to 18 years, I've got 10 years to go IF electric rates stay the same, but the payoff will more than likely be a few years sooner than that. Electricity prices are going up not down. No, you don't have to have south facing panels. My home's roof faces East and West, the ridge runs North and South. I split the system and put half on the East side and half on the West side. I have no electric bills now, I carry an energy credit year around. You might want to check into it again. Now there is the 30% FTC for an installed system. If you check at www.dsireusa.org you can see what net metering and energy efficiency programs are available to you. What is better 25K-30K in the bank at 0.5 to 1.0% interest or the monthly savings in electricity with a 25 to 30K system on your roof? What's the bank doing with your money while they give you a whopping 1.0% interest to keep it in their establishment?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Massive renewable energy project alters German ... 5 hr Earthling-1 10
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 7 hr SpaceBlues 27,060
$6.5b China investment to fuel realty, manufact... 12 hr praveen pandey 1
Rooftop solar energy will reach or exceed grid ... 20 hr Solarman 7
Azerbaijan intends to invest in Iran's renewabl... Wed Francesco Sinibaldi 1
When The Power's Out, Solar Panels May Not Keep... Wed Solarman 1
Utility, solar industry to debate price of energy Tue Solarman 1
•••

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE