Authorities: Marijuana growers using solar power

Nov 23, 2012 Full story: SFGate 20

Authorities say illegal marijuana growers are increasingly using solar power to operate large-scale operations and remain off the grid.

Full Story
Ron J

Hurst, TX

#1 Nov 23, 2012
If it is all green it is all good

“More Brains Than .....”

Since: Sep 11

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#2 Nov 23, 2012
They built that.
Ron J

Hurst, TX

#3 Nov 23, 2012
Phil the Grillmaster wrote:
They built that.
Green Energy , Green bud

“26.2”

Since: Feb 08

Santa Fe, NM

#4 Nov 23, 2012
The problem is that when they burn and smoke it they generate greenhouse gasses.

“US Navy”

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#5 Nov 24, 2012
Interesting that dope growers have embraced the technology and apparently it's paying off for them strategically and financially, yet society overall can't seem to make it work as a viable energy source strategically or financially. What's wrong with this picture?

Couldn't be (in part) the zealots who oppose solar panels now could it?
Concha Pena

Albuquerque, NM

#6 Nov 24, 2012
if it's all green, it's all gold.

“More Brains Than .....”

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#7 Nov 24, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
Interesting that dope growers have embraced the technology and apparently it's paying off for them strategically and financially, yet society overall can't seem to make it work as a viable energy source strategically or financially. What's wrong with this picture?
Couldn't be (in part) the zealots who oppose solar panels now could it?
Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House. Reagan tore 'em down.

'Nuff said.

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#8 Nov 24, 2012
Carter's solar panels were "symbolic". Who knows if they worked at all, particularly given how long ago that was.

Besides, that doesn't answer the question, if pot growers can make it work profitably, why can't we?

“I ain't afraid of no ghosts.”

Since: Aug 08

Dear old mucky Drasnia

#9 Nov 24, 2012
I'd say that since they are "off-grid," they don't get the misinformation and hidden penalties for using "green" energy, CD
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#10 Nov 24, 2012
<quoted text>
Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House. Reagan tore 'em down.
'Nuff said.
No, nothing said. The solar HOT Water panels on the Whitehouse roof were installed improperly and this caused the roof to leak. Regan removed the solar hot water system and repaired the roof. The panels were donated to some college on the east cost and have been used to supply hot water to the campus cafeteria, they did not go to waste. Good ol''W' had solar PV and solar hot water installed on an out building on the Whitehouse grounds around 2004. Now Obama is enjoying his heated pool and lower electricity usage thanks to 'W'. So, Grill"meister", how much solar PV, Hot water do you have installed on your house? Install any energy efficiency upgrades? At least did you install some new energy star appliances when old appliances failed? What have YOU DONE?

“More Brains Than .....”

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#11 Nov 24, 2012
If it's yellow, let it mellow.

If it's brown, flush it down.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#12 Nov 25, 2012
If it's yellow, let it mellow.
If it's brown, flush it down.
This is what you've DONE? You pee and don't flush the toilet, you crap and do flush the toilet? Grill"meister", you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. Even a pot head has more sense than you.
Concha Pena

Albuquerque, NM

#13 Nov 25, 2012
SOLARMAN; WE MUST CONSERVE water. What are YOU doing?
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#14 Nov 25, 2012
Concha Pena wrote:
SOLARMAN; WE MUST CONSERVE water. What are YOU doing?
So, I put in desert landscaping, for anyone with some sort of yard, low flow bubbler heads, smart controller for the irrigation sprinkler stations. Most folks overwater to keep those lawns green, get an evapotranspiration chart to use with one's landscaping and smart controller. 70 to 80% of a home's water use is outdoor landscaping. Flushing the toilet less often does NOTHING but build up residue. So, what are YOU doing to save water?

“US Navy”

Location hidden

#15 Nov 25, 2012
Meanwhile back in the USSA where we can't make solar power work but the drug cartels seem to have no problem accomplishing that same task...
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#16 Nov 26, 2012
CornDogz wrote:
Meanwhile back in the USSA where we can't make solar power work but the drug cartels seem to have no problem accomplishing that same task...
Interesting point. I doubt if a pot farmer is going to fill out the paperwork to take advantage of the Federal tax incentive, any local or State incentives to install their solar systems. They are businessmen, even though they are illegal businessmen, they seem to understand that solar PV insolates them from electricity costs as well as law enforcement scrutiny by way of monitoring electric bills. Dude....I'm goin' solar. They can put the things up on shade structures that generate power, and block an aerial view by planes.

“More Brains Than .....”

..a Zombie Thanksgiving

#17 Nov 28, 2012
Solarman wrote:
<quoted text>This is what you've DONE? You pee and don't flush the toilet, you crap and do flush the toilet? Grill"meister", you're part of the problem, not part of the solution. Even a pot head has more sense than you.
I gave your mom a golden shower.

That saved a flush.
Solarman

La Quinta, CA

#18 Nov 28, 2012
<quoted text>
I gave your mom a golden shower.
That saved a flush.
Highly unlikely she's been dead for twenty years, you got a thing for dead people A-hole? Or is this an indication of how YOU feel about YOUR MOM? Use the medicinal marijuana card and get yourself some help.
Concha Pena

Albuquerque, NM

#19 Nov 28, 2012
Disgusting! only use 'water saving' toilets, very modern very efficient. Flush at your discretion.
Concha de la Mota Pena

Albuquerque, NM

#20 Nov 28, 2012
Lay off the mota

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matched 'hybrid' systems may hold key to wider ... 2 hr Solarman 1
Renewable Energy Will Never Work, But Can Nuclear? 6 hr IBdaMann 14
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 9 hr One way or another 27,698
Energy and tech butting heads over $5.2B Texas ... Tue Solarman 1
RELACCX: Renewable Energy Industry Leaders Hold... Tue JMWinPR 1
The politics of science Tue WIN WIN 4 BIG PHARMA 1
Ohio utility chief: Energy savings hard to measure Tue Solarman 1

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE