Workshop Informs VA Businesses About Alternative Fuel Vehicles

Filling your gas tank with alternative fuel could actually help the environment. Full Story
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jan 10, 2013
Meanwhile, the guv wants to encourage this conversion with a tax of $100 per alternative fuel vehicle.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#2 Jan 10, 2013
Not up on economy of natural gas in an internal combustion engine but it seems to me that I saw somewhere that they are not as efficient as gasoline. Still, there may be a benefit. Anything to get us off the adiction we have on oil is a good thing, whether big oil will allow it is another thing. Why do Europe and Asia have bullet trains and we don't? Thailand has a bullet train, Thailand, and we don't, what does that tell you? Why is the gubment trying to ram 15% ethenol gas down our throats at the cost of major auto repairs?
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Jan 10, 2013
huck wrote:
Meanwhile, the guv wants to encourage this conversion with a tax of $100 per alternative fuel vehicle.
The first 5 fill ups will pay for it, and the $100 goes to keep the roads in good repair, because that natural gas vehicle uses the roads but pays no fuel taxes right now. Whiiiiine.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jan 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
Not up on economy of natural gas in an internal combustion engine but it seems to me that I saw somewhere that they are not as efficient as gasoline. Still, there may be a benefit. Anything to get us off the adiction we have on oil is a good thing, whether big oil will allow it is another thing. Why do Europe and Asia have bullet trains and we don't? Thailand has a bullet train, Thailand, and we don't, what does that tell you? Why is the gubment trying to ram 15% ethenol gas down our throats at the cost of major auto repairs?
USA has trillions of cubic feet of gas on tap; at least 100 years worth
And it's cheap.
Ethanol is a safer replacement for MTBE.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Jan 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
Meant to respond to sez you
USA has trillions of cubic feet of gas on tap; at least 100 years worth
And it's cheap.
Ethanol is a safer replacement for MTBE
Eaglescout1984

Charlottesville, VA

#6 Jan 10, 2013
sez you wrote:
Why do Europe and Asia have bullet trains and we don't? Thailand has a bullet train, Thailand, and we don't, what does that tell you?
That on a whole, we have a much lower population density and there are vast expanses of space between our major urban centers which would require a major investment that when added with the continuing cost of maintenance would probably never turn a profit.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jan 10, 2013
real central va Marine wrote:
<quoted text> because that natural gas vehicle uses the roads but pays no fuel taxes right now.
neither will gas vehicles under the guv's plan. Why discourage alternative fuel vehicle use? gah
G Luv

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jan 10, 2013
Eaglescout1984 wrote:
<quoted text>
That on a whole, we have a much lower population density and there are vast expanses of space between our major urban centers which would require a major investment that when added with the continuing cost of maintenance would probably never turn a profit.
There's no need to make high-speed rail to Des Moines, but the Northeast has population densities on par with Europe. Traveling moderate distances in Europe by rail is very efficient.

Few rail lines in the world actually pay for themselves; but then the US heavily subsidizes airplane and car travel, so there's no need to automatically dismiss rail. Politically, unfortunately, it's a dead-end.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jan 11, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
neither will gas vehicles under the guv's plan. Why discourage alternative fuel vehicle use? gah
But under the "guv's" plan, there are extra costs to dispose of those "environmentally friendly" gas/electric vehicles that need to be funded. Not discouraging "alternative vehicle" use, just making everyone who "chooses to drive one" pay their share of the added costs. Have you never heard of gas guzzler taxes, or property taxes on vehicles over 25K?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jan 11, 2013
real central va Marine wrote:
<quoted text>But under the "guv's" plan, there are extra costs to dispose of those "environmentally friendly" gas/electric vehicles that need to be funded. Not discouraging "alternative vehicle" use, just making everyone who "chooses to drive one" pay their share of the added costs. Have you never heard of gas guzzler taxes, or property taxes on vehicles over 25K?
What are the extra disposal costs for an eco-car over a traditional car? The gas guzzler tax is fine with me because it discourages pollution. The guv's $100 tax does the opposite.
real central va Marine

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jan 14, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
What are the extra disposal costs for an eco-car over a traditional car? The gas guzzler tax is fine with me because it discourages pollution. The guv's $100 tax does the opposite.
You can't just toss the heavy metals and toxic chemicals...they have to be sequestered and stored. Just like the spent fuel rods from nuke plants.
sez you

Richmond, VA

#12 Jan 14, 2013
G Luv wrote:
<quoted text>
There's no need to make high-speed rail to Des Moines, but the Northeast has population densities on par with Europe. Traveling moderate distances in Europe by rail is very efficient.
Few rail lines in the world actually pay for themselves; but then the US heavily subsidizes airplane and car travel, so there's no need to automatically dismiss rail. Politically, unfortunately, it's a dead-end.
Dead end is apt. The north east is a great place for bullet trains, as a matter of fact every place is good place for bullet trains, they don't run on oil. Big oil runs congress so no bullet trains.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Let's have a balanced plan for producing the el... 1 hr Earthling-1 59
APS will move ahead with free solar Sat Solarman 1
NY's bad move on fracking Sat Solarman 1
National View: Rooftop solar panels facing the ... Dec 18 Solarman 1
PSE, RES Americas to develop battery storage pr... Dec 17 Solarman 1
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) Dec 17 Brian_G 27,952
Frustrated by vandals, thieves WPEC seeks commu... (May '11) Dec 17 Annual Winter Sol... 13
More from around the web