Wind turbine taxes won't generate a lot of new revenue for coun...

Full story: Cumberland Times-News

Editor's note: This is the second in a series of articles on the development and operation of regional wind generation projects.
Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Feb 21, 2013
Allen Poland

Williamsport, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2006

Judged:

Approximately 3 years ago I wrote the first anti-windfarm letter to the editor. Since then, it seems that one person, one group after another, has realized that these windfarms are nothing but money makers for the people who build them. What is more, they are nothing but a waste of tax money. Even the enviormentalists can't agree on their benefit.

Now, in the above article it is admitted that they provide no tax revenue as the county government expected. By the time it is realized as fact that windfarms do nothing promised, it will be too late.

Our mountain tops are being raped, the beauty of our mountains ruined and tax money spent for absolutely nothing.

It's time for the people to tell our county commissioners, ENOUGH!!
Kym Escobar

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 6, 2006

Judged:

Enough is enough. Add this to the plan of making 220 a 4-laned highway from I-68 to Scherr and we might as well write off the environment altogether. The beauty of this area is how relatively untouched it is. Plans such as these will change the landscape forever. We shouldn't suport them without full knowledge of the implications.
Allen Poland wrote:
Approximately 3 years ago I wrote the first anti-windfarm letter to the editor. Since then, it seems that one person, one group after another, has realized that these windfarms are nothing but money makers for the people who build them. What is more, they are nothing but a waste of tax money. Even the enviormentalists can't agree on their benefit.

Now, in the above article it is admitted that they provide no tax revenue as the county government expected. By the time it is realized as fact that windfarms do nothing promised, it will be too late.

Our mountain tops are being raped, the beauty of our mountains ruined and tax money spent for absolutely nothing.

It's time for the people to tell our county commissioners, ENOUGH!!
MJ-E

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2006

Judged:

Wow, you people are real sad. Do you realize it is now more cost effective to generate electricity from wind turbines than nateral gas and nuclear? You should read a little more.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/01/20/tec...
MGL

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2006

It's getting better all the time, too.
Kerry Beauchrt

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 22, 2006

Judged:

That's the first time I heard wind energy criticized because it doesn't pour money into countie coffers. Why would any sane person imagine that it would? It's a very good thing that counties can't tax wind turbines - that would increase the cost of
each kilowatt hour produced.
Some still either remember what they read 25 years ago about wind power and think it's still true, or are just plain lying when they say wind power isn't worth it.
Wind power today in a class 4 or class 5 wind site can produce power at rates
much less than nuclear, natural gas or solar and is about even with coal power rates. That's today. Tomorrow all those other methods (except solar) will increase
in cost. Wind power will likely go down in price even further. There is NO beter source of electricity today than wind power. Period.
As for aesthetics, I think a stand of wind turbines looks better than most
sculptures - they are works of art that bring their environment alive.
Thomas C Gray

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2006

The claims that wind turbines are raping the mountaintops are
rather pathetic attempts to depict turbines as unattractive, when in
fact professional photos of wind turbines ar winning awards throught
the country. Almost without exception, those who encounter these magnificent
wind turbines have a positive response that simply is lacking when
viewing yet one more boring mountain ridge of pine trees. Unlike the static mpuntain ridgeline views, urbines are both alive and universally appreciated
as one would appreciate a beautiful sculpture. I think it's significant that
even those who initially opposed nearby wind farms more often than not grow to appreciate those magnificent living mechanical marvels.
Frank Lewis

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 1, 2006

What the wind turbines generate is a lot of local cash. Each owner of land
used for siting a turbine generally receives between 2 and 5 thousand dollars per month per turbine. That is money entered into the local economy, directly as sales taxes, as is much of the money spent both errecting the turbines as well as providing maintenance.
Bo Grant

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2006

Enough is enough! All of these outsiders trying to ruin another state. You have screwed up your own state, let us screw up ours the way we wish!
BIGd

Middleboro, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

To Kerry
In Illinois the vast majority of these wind farms
are placed in wind zones 2 and 3. The reason is
transmission line location to Chicago.There are
few people that will benefit money wise from them
but the utility companies and owners of these wind
farms (overseas located) will do very well.
Allen Poland

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

Judged:

If this subject of wind farms and the comments that have been generated above wasn't so serious, I'd have to laugh!
The "generating local cash" was mentioned because is this one of the BIG selling points to our county commissioners for being allowed to install these hideous machines.
The fact of the matter is, it isn't until later that these same commissioners realize that the taxes and income, like newly created jobs, never materialize. But, we're stuck with them.
The cost for wind power is approximately 20% higher than power generated by coal. This is one reason why electric rates jump when the utility companies buy this wind generated electricity.
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... but I doubt seriously if people will travel hundreds of miles to see our windmills as they do for our "boring purple mountains!"
One other observation. All of the power generated by a 75 unit wind farm for one year can be generated by a typical coal plant in 15 minutes!
Randy

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

I live in WV. Clean enery is the future. We have plenty of mountain tops. This could be a whole new industry for our state. Our coal mining has killed many things in the enviroment. Acid rain any one. Sulfar in the streams. How about we do some thing good for the enviroment.
Randy

Fairmont, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 6, 2009

don't know why it says I live in lincoln NE. It
should be faimont wv
blah blah blah

Frostburg, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2009

How can you possibly think giant propellers are more attractive than the gorgeous tree covered mountains? It' funny to me the wind blows continually off the coast of Northeastern US but Senator Kennedy did not want those beautiful masterpieces there, he said they would interfere with the beauty of the Atlantic when he wanted to entertain his friends in his yacht
Thomas C Gray wrote:
The claims that wind turbines are raping the mountaintops are
rather pathetic attempts to depict turbines as unattractive, when in
fact professional photos of wind turbines ar winning awards throught
the country. Almost without exception, those who encounter these magnificent
wind turbines have a positive response that simply is lacking when
viewing yet one more boring mountain ridge of pine trees. Unlike the static mpuntain ridgeline views, urbines are both alive and universally appreciated
as one would appreciate a beautiful sculpture. I think it's significant that
even those who initially opposed nearby wind farms more often than not grow to appreciate those magnificent living mechanical marvels.
Rustu Justice

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2009

These windmill wil make some body some money. Not the taxpayer.
Hankie

Springfield, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

If we'd spend less of our taxpayer money on subsidizing wind energy companies and more on investing in looking into lower polluting coal, using manure, and garbage to make energy and incentives for conservation we'd be better off.

After seeing how close they are putting these industrial Wind Turbines to homes, dispoiling the scenic beauty of our nation I couldn't believe it!
When they clear cut trees for "logging"-- people were up in arms, but tell them it's for green energy that will give us more taxes and jobs and people fall all over themselves seeing how much we can concede or (what a company friendly ordinance we can write for them)to the wind company so they'll come to "our area".
I think 10 years from now we'll wake up and say "what did we do!".
anita

Cumberland, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2011

Judged:

They are beautiful and I would MUCH rather see the windmills on the ridges than the coal dust on my tables. It contributes to my daughter's breathing problems; the windmills contribute to her sense of wonder about the beauty of a meld of nature and technology.
heartbreaking

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

I was recently in another are of West Virginia, near Romney. The wind turbines were unbelievably huge and definitely changed the feel of the place.
Pendleton County in WVA and Highland County in VA hold very dear places in my heart ever since I was a girl and would go there with my high school sweetheart. Those areas live in my dreams and I never get back there enough. If I could, I would buy both counties and preserve them forever from "progress" and development. They are more beautiful than words can say.
I consider myself an environmentalist and lament that so many people fall at one extreme or the other. Let's be careful with our fuel use, conserve, recycle, limit waste-all of us- so that we can slow down, halt in some cases , the need for finding ever more fuel. I don't want wind turbines despoiling beautiful land, oil spills in the ocean, or mountain tops blown off. Nobody want any of this in their back yard, but who is willing to begin to change habits so there is less of a need? Not saying exchange your car for a bike, but make changes where you can, when you can. I love Pendleton County and what's happening breaks my heart.
mc

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2013

Individuals can have a greater effect on energy consumption by using smart products in their homes. Check out greenenergyefficientproducts.com for great ideas!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••