Dangerous Coal Use Surges Despite Despite Global Warming

Dec 18, 2012 Full story: Inhabitat 8

On the heels of the recent COP 18 climate conference in Qatar, the International Energy Agency has reported that global coal use is on the rise.

Full Story
Northie

Spokane, WA

#1 Dec 18, 2012
Unless, of course, Americans and Aussies just stop selling the crap worldwide.
PHD

Overton, TX

#2 Dec 18, 2012
Oh ya another one for wind mills.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#3 Dec 19, 2012
Windmills? In part, but coal companies are trying to move coal out of the US because it has been replaced primarily by gas.
PHD

Overton, TX

#4 Dec 19, 2012
The gas prices dictate the coal prices. More gas in the USA less money for coal. Did you forget the high Natural gas prices of the early 2000's? It's all about the love of money.
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

#5 Dec 19, 2012
Northie wrote:
Unless, of course, Americans and Aussies just stop selling the crap worldwide.
Shssshhh. You might be upsetting the goddess of coal.

[Probably.]
litesong

Lynnwood, WA

#6 Dec 19, 2012
phdudd wrote:
The gas prices dictate the coal prices. More gas in the USA less money for coal.
Doesn't matter about the Wyoming coal that might be shipped to China. Peabody Coal was the only bidder for those rights, so they got the coal really really cheap.
Northie

Spokane, WA

#7 Dec 19, 2012
litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter about the Wyoming coal that might be shipped to China. Peabody Coal was the only bidder for those rights, so they got the coal really really cheap.
They did indeed get Wyoming coal cheap in single-bidder "auctions", paying about $10-12 per ton for coal that they'll sell in China for ten times that.
PHD

Overton, TX

#8 Dec 20, 2012
litesout wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't matter about the Wyoming coal that might be shipped to China. Peabody Coal was the only bidder for those rights, so they got the coal really really cheap.
It all matters it's about the love of money.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
National View: Rooftop solar panels facing the ... 20 hr Solarman 1
PSE, RES Americas to develop battery storage pr... Wed Solarman 1
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) Wed Brian_G 27,952
Frustrated by vandals, thieves WPEC seeks commu... (May '11) Wed Annual Winter Sol... 13
Australian scientists announce solar energy bre... Dec 15 Gavin62 10
Here's what appraisers need to know about solar... Dec 14 Soalrman 9
UK's a 46 billion bid for EIB nuclear loan Dec 13 Clear Dharma 1
More from around the web