Environmentalists Hail Obama Climate Change Focus

Full story: ABC News

Environmental groups hailed President Barack Obama's warning Monday about climate change, but said the president's words will soon be tested as he decides whether to approve the Keystone XL oil pipeline from Canada to the Gulf Coast.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Feb 10, 2013
George Washington

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Debt and unemployment are skyrocketing, the Middle East is exploding into world war, and this "President" is demonizing Republicans and carrying on about global warming and same-sex marriage. How catastrophic!

Also, Obama became the first President in American history NOT to mention God in his inaugural address.

Fine legacy!
opps I did it again

Edinburg, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 22, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

George Washington wrote:
Debt and unemployment are skyrocketing, the Middle East is exploding into world war, and this "President" is demonizing Republicans and carrying on about global warming and same-sex marriage. How catastrophic!
Also, Obama became the first President in American history NOT to mention God in his inaugural address.
Fine legacy!
Maybe that could be because his God is allah.

Since: Jul 07

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

the problem with those who want to throw billions into fighting climate change is that they do not face reality.

"Environmentalists argue that emissions from fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) need to be cut 50 percent to 80 percent by mid-century to avoid a ruinous warming. The problem is that there's simply no plausible way to get from here to there without, in effect, shutting down the world economy.

Consider a recent study by the International Energy Agency in Paris. Under current policies, it forecasts that world energy demand will rise 47 percent between 2010 and 2035 and the increase in emissions of carbon dioxide -- the largest greenhouse gas -- will be almost the same. Even when the forecast assumes greater energy efficiencies and a larger shift to wind, solar and other non-fossil fuel sources, energy demand grows 35 percent by 2035 and CO2 emissions 23 percent.

Virtually all the increases occur in China, India and other developing countries. By 2035, estimates the IEA, the number of passenger vehicles in the world will double to 1.7 billion. Electricity demand will surge, as industry expands, more people move into the middle class and many now without electricity (1.3 billion) receive it. American CO2 emissions are projected to stay roughly level by 2035, but even if they fell sharply, the declines wouldn't offset increases elsewhere in the world.

The politics of climate change are excruciatingly difficult. Do we make heroic efforts (involving more regulations, subsidies or energy taxes) to curb emissions when any U.S. decreases would have only a tiny global effect? Barring major technological breakthroughs, influencing climate change seems difficult, if not impossible. There aren't yet sufficient practical alternatives to a heavy reliance on fossil fuels."

Robert Samuelson, Wash Post
Say the Truth

Eatontown, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

GoodNewz wrote:
the problem with those who want to throw billions into fighting climate change is that they do not face reality.
"Environmentalists argue that emissions from fossil fuels (coal, oil, natural gas) need to be cut 50 percent to 80 percent by mid-century to avoid a ruinous warming. The problem is that there's simply no plausible way to get from here to there without, in effect, shutting down the world economy.
Consider a recent study by the International Energy Agency in Paris. Under current policies, it forecasts that world energy demand will rise 47 percent between 2010 and 2035 and the increase in emissions of carbon dioxide -- the largest greenhouse gas -- will be almost the same. Even when the forecast assumes greater energy efficiencies and a larger shift to wind, solar and other non-fossil fuel sources, energy demand grows 35 percent by 2035 and CO2 emissions 23 percent.
Virtually all the increases occur in China, India and other developing countries. By 2035, estimates the IEA, the number of passenger vehicles in the world will double to 1.7 billion. Electricity demand will surge, as industry expands, more people move into the middle class and many now without electricity (1.3 billion) receive it. American CO2 emissions are projected to stay roughly level by 2035, but even if they fell sharply, the declines wouldn't offset increases elsewhere in the world.
The politics of climate change are excruciatingly difficult. Do we make heroic efforts (involving more regulations, subsidies or energy taxes) to curb emissions when any U.S. decreases would have only a tiny global effect? Barring major technological breakthroughs, influencing climate change seems difficult, if not impossible. There aren't yet sufficient practical alternatives to a heavy reliance on fossil fuels."
Robert Samuelson, Wash Post
EnvironMentalists should all be forced to live naked, in trees, only eating raw vegetables.

Since: Oct 08

Alpharetta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 24, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

2

Say the Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
EnvironMentalists should all be forced to live naked, in trees, only eating raw vegetables.
thats where most of obamas voters evolved from to begin with, a couple hundred years ago
ABN Ortiz

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 26, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Time to depopulate the earth,who will go? Fags, childmolesters, murderers, 1%ers/wallstreet people, the poor, the rich, the greedy CEOs,drug dealers, phony christians, phony muslims, jews (except honest ones), stupid people, anyone of no use, like assashire. There should only be enough people to start a newer world with the present technology, so that the population can grow at a rate to where we can reach other planets. If someone wanted an abortion, they should also have their tubes/dick cut!
SpaceBlues

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 10, 2013
 
Not Willard wrote:
<quoted text>And the Middle East has changed in some way ?? It has ALWAYS been a hotbed and probably always be. The Republicans demonize themselves because public opinion is against them and their propaganda. As for the mention of God in his address......big deal.(Besides that, your wrong,i listened to it)
You are wrong about the ME's past. It's the home of world's civilization as we know it today. Besides they did not invent the world wars, guns, etc.

If you were an ET, you would know more ... about peace treaties, domestication of plants and animals, science, mathematics, architecture, medicine, art, clothing, hygiene, etc.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alternative Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 10 hr SpaceBlues 26,999
Viewpoints: Don't shut out black residents from... 12 hr Mramos 1
12:22 Indian PM Modi invites Britain for energy... 13 hr Humhainna 3
Les Deux Mondes project grows in ArnaudvilleLes... Aug 25 Taunte Jeanne 1
Study Shows Ethanol Produces Worse 'Global Warm... Aug 23 Brian_G 16
Solar power gets hot, hot, hot Aug 22 Solarman 1
DWP is still slow to turn on home solar energy ... Aug 22 Solarman 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Alternative Energy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••