$60m bond would build 4 schools

Jul 26, 2012 Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus 19

Come February, Carlsbad voters will be asked by Carlsbad Municipal Schools leaders to go to the polls to approve a $60 million bond issue to build four new elementary schools.

Full Story
notcool

Hobbs, NM

#1 Jul 26, 2012
Perkowski,we cannot afford text books for all of the students at the High School, so why vote to build more schools that we don't need? The unionized schools in C-bad suck, why not vote on charter schools where the teacher and student are there because they want to be? Is this not the second or third go-around for you? Go away,retire ,disappear,do what ever you want, just don't try to sell us anymore of your B.S.
Justin

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Jul 27, 2012
Carlsbad school system - fix the problems with curret schools (and school teachers) before creating a bigger mess.
schools

Lovington, NM

#3 Jul 27, 2012
Lots of in house cleaning (ADMINISTRATION)!!! The school board should consider getting rid of the individuals not doing their job in a professional manner before anything else.... New Schools + bad Administration = failure for our children. The administration gets paid 6 figures and all we get is millions spent on new schools, and yes I agree our children are lacking textbooks in classrooms, yet spending millions on new schools!!! Perkow@@@, Cor@@@@, are not doing a good job and the school board sits back and does nothing! How about us as a community vote them out before all these millions are spent carelessly!!! We are always asked to vote yes to what Perkow@@@ chooses but he is doing a poor job and still gets paid his 6 figure income as well as Cord@@@! Instead of voting on these new schools, let"s vote out all the people doing a poor job!!!
schools

Lovington, NM

#4 Jul 27, 2012
Justin wrote:
Carlsbad school system - fix the problems with curret schools (and school teachers) before creating a bigger mess.
Fix the problems at the Administration office!!! And hire more techers instead of having them teach up to 3 different subjects and not being paid more!!!!!
schools

Lovington, NM

#5 Jul 27, 2012
Teachers!!!!
kitten

Hobbs, NM

#6 Jul 27, 2012
schools wrote:
Teachers!!!!
Are some lazy mofos
dumbo

Cloudcroft, NM

#7 Jul 28, 2012
40% do not graduate and you want to build more school buildings

pewwwwwwww you stink
Green Go

Carlsbad, NM

#8 Jul 28, 2012
Johny can't read, Sancho can't wright,
but they knocked up Juanita on a Saturday
night!
hector

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Jul 29, 2012
get the grades of your schools up and graduate 98% of the students then come back asking for $$$$$

currently your product (an educated citizen) is CRAP
Sherlock

Carlsbad, NM

#10 Jul 29, 2012
You people that complain, you are idiots, they are getting 3/4 of the money from the oil companies. It will not be from Juan and Marie!
you wish

Lovington, NM

#11 Jul 29, 2012
I as a parent feel that they need to put their money in the schools they have now and help the teachers so we parents do not have to fork out so much freaking money for supplies and what not. I am on a fixed income and it is hard to get my daughter supplies and everything. They need to pay the teachers better and treat them right. I don't think the administrators should get paid as much as they do. Our kids need a education not new buildings. Think of the kids and their grades before you spend money on something we don't need.
juan and marie

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Jul 30, 2012
Sherlock wrote:
You people that complain, you are idiots, they are getting 3/4 of the money from the oil companies. It will not be from Juan and Marie!
clearly you are a graduate of the local school - stupid!!!!

when the oil company raises the price of gas, to pay for the school bond, then juan and marie pay.....

stop the silly/stupid and THINK!!!!
George

Carlsbad, NM

#13 Jul 30, 2012
you wish wrote:
I as a parent feel that they need to put their money in the schools they have now and help the teachers so we parents do not have to fork out so much freaking money for supplies and what not. I am on a fixed income and it is hard to get my daughter supplies and everything. They need to pay the teachers better and treat them right. I don't think the administrators should get paid as much as they do. Our kids need a education not new buildings. Think of the kids and their grades before you spend money on something we don't need.
I'm also a parent. I dont argue with the concept of fixing the administrative issues- it needs to be done. My kid goes to Monterrey and my nephew goes to Sunset. Have any of you guys/gals here even looked at what our kids are going to school in now? Several of our elementary schools are so over-filled they have trailers parked outside for classrooms. I can't even remember the last time a school was built in Carlsbad. I'm guessing the high school is the youngest and it was built in the 60's! PR Leyva, aka, the old Carlsbad High School, was built in the 30's and looks like it. All of these school were built long before the word "computer" was even invented. None of them have even a fraction of the stuff they need to have to teach our kids to be techologically capable to compete with kids from Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, or even Albuquerque. All of these towns have been building new high tech schools left and right to keep up with their population growth.

There are 29 children in my kid's class. As from someone with a kid in the system, you all should understand that Carlsbad is in a big population boom right now. My dad and I both grew up here and we both agree that we are growing far faster in the last five years than either of us ever remember it (at least since 1940). A growing town needs new schools-period. This is a separate issue from the equally important one that we should make sure our teachers and school administration are competent and are teaching our kids what they need to know for the future.

It is just irresponsible to put 40-year overdue system improvements on hold because the administration sux! Elect a new school board to make the personnel changes you think are needed. That way, when the new schools are finished, we will have a competent admin to run them and competent teachers to staff them.
juan and marie

Carlsbad, NM

#14 Jul 30, 2012
George wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm also a parent. I dont argue with the concept of fixing the administrative issues- it needs to be done. My kid goes to Monterrey and my nephew goes to Sunset. Have any of you guys/gals here even looked at what our kids are going to school in now? Several of our elementary schools are so over-filled they have trailers parked outside for classrooms. I can't even remember the last time a school was built in Carlsbad. I'm guessing the high school is the youngest and it was built in the 60's! PR Leyva, aka, the old Carlsbad High School, was built in the 30's and looks like it. All of these school were built long before the word "computer" was even invented. None of them have even a fraction of the stuff they need to have to teach our kids to be techologically capable to compete with kids from Las Cruces, Rio Rancho, or even Albuquerque. All of these towns have been building new high tech schools left and right to keep up with their population growth.
There are 29 children in my kid's class. As from someone with a kid in the system, you all should understand that Carlsbad is in a big population boom right now. My dad and I both grew up here and we both agree that we are growing far faster in the last five years than either of us ever remember it (at least since 1940). A growing town needs new schools-period. This is a separate issue from the equally important one that we should make sure our teachers and school administration are competent and are teaching our kids what they need to know for the future.
It is just irresponsible to put 40-year overdue system improvements on hold because the administration sux! Elect a new school board to make the personnel changes you think are needed. That way, when the new schools are finished, we will have a competent admin to run them and competent teachers to staff them.
clearly U are a paid blogger from the school district

surely U know that when you raise taxes on my landlord that he will raise my rent..... so don't tell me the oil companies will pay that is simply BULLCRAP U are feeding STUPID people
WHY

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Jul 31, 2012
Why do we need a new school?? Did we forget we have a few that closed down? Or is it they just want to build a school on the north side of town? Im just wondering I live across the river (not like it matters) but use what we got instead of building a new school when we have empty ones already.
Carlsbad Resident

Hobbs, NM

#16 Jul 31, 2012
schools wrote:
Lots of in house cleaning (ADMINISTRATION)!!! The school board should consider getting rid of the individuals not doing their job in a professional manner before anything else.... New Schools + bad Administration = failure for our children. The administration gets paid 6 figures and all we get is millions spent on new schools, and yes I agree our children are lacking textbooks in classrooms, yet spending millions on new schools!!! Perkow@@@, Cor@@@@, are not doing a good job and the school board sits back and does nothing! How about us as a community vote them out before all these millions are spent carelessly!!! We are always asked to vote yes to what Perkow@@@ chooses but he is doing a poor job and still gets paid his 6 figure income as well as Cord@@@! Instead of voting on these new schools, let"s vote out all the people doing a poor job!!!
How about us as a community, vote them out before all these millions are spent carelessly!!! YES !

They will cleverly siphon this money into their pockests
notcool

Hobbs, NM

#17 Jul 31, 2012
Apparently no other parent has been told that the schools do not have enough text books to assign one to each student. Like always,you have missed the point,why should we build more schools when we cannot supply the students with the tools they need to succeed? We can build new schools, but if they are not equipped with the necessary learning materials,then we all fail.
suze

Carlsbad, NM

#18 Aug 1, 2012
notcool wrote:
Apparently no other parent has been told that the schools do not have enough text books to assign one to each student. Like always,you have missed the point,why should we build more schools when we cannot supply the students with the tools they need to succeed? We can build new schools, but if they are not equipped with the necessary learning materials,then we all fail.
ah........

4 new schools
nes sheriff taj fancy castle for mendoza

but no road - no bypass so i can drive my oil to market

damn dumb..........
williep

Carlsbad, NM

#19 Aug 7, 2012
new charter school coming (paid for by private donations, state, and grants)

ELIMINATES NEED FOR NEW SCHOOL BUILDINGS

and, hopefully, better education for our community

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
RCSD launches new attendance campaign 45 min dont kneed skool 7
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 2 hr Wondering 106
How one city is welcoming hundreds of migrant c... 4 hr deja 4
Changwon City Offers Student Exchange Program 9 hr SHlTWORMEXIMNAUDE... 100
Atheist group, angry mom go ballistic over pray... (Jun '13) 13 hr Atheist-Teacher 2
14 CHS students suspended 15 hr Notorious 14
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 hr Athenesword 131,107

Education Etc. People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE