West Islip to Close Kirdahy, Westbrook Elementary Schools

Jan 13, 2012 Full story: WALK 97.5 2,481

West Isilp - After weeks of study, the West Islip School District will close the Westbrook and Paul E. Kirdhay Elementary schools at the end of the school year, a decision officials say will save the district approximately $3 million, cutting its projected deficit in half.

Full Story
phil

Copiague, NY

#22 Jan 25, 2012
Your an idiot wrote:
<quoted text>They don't get extra. They get a cash payment which is far less than the cost of the insurance so the district actually benefits. Any job makes some sort of compensation to an employee for not taking company provided health.
You don't even realize your mistake of YOUR and YOU'RE and
YOU'RE calling someone else an idiot!
Nice work, jerk
what is up

West Babylon, NY

#23 Jan 26, 2012
post here wrote:
I was sick of watching people's posts deleted eleswhere for no good reason. Yes, the money is getting tighter. Kids FIRST!
Yes, those "Debra" posts were removed even though there were no curse words and the patch editors/deleters have still not put them back or said who removed them. It is not right.
Anonymous

West Islip, NY

#25 Jan 26, 2012
Once again the BOE 's decision for our students is wrong. It is both unfair to our K-5 students who would shoulder the entire budget shortfall nor does it solve our budget crisis. In fact if this proposal doesn't realistically solve our space problem and totally destroys WI network of neighborhood schools. As I stated previously, each of these ES is like a family with its own personality. The children have bonded with their ES and a lot will be lost if the children are forced or redistricted to another school. Anyone who went to a WI elementary school already knows this.
This decision is wrong for OUR children and WRONG for West Islip. Write to Mr. Simon and tell him we care about each of our elementary schools and the BOE's decision must be reversed.
Anonymous

West Islip, NY

#26 Jan 27, 2012
Keep this campaign going and SAVE our ES for OUR K-5 children. Make sure that the BOE treats ours young children envenly and FAIRLY. Make Mr. Simon and the BOE AWARE that we won't allow the the BOE to dump the results of their over speading on OUR K-5 children. We DEMAND a FAIR solution for all West Islip students.
To be successful, we need to branch off the Patch. If anyone has a Facebook account or knows how to Tweet, WE need to get the word out NOW. Don't Wait!

SAVE OUR SCHOOLS
Cathy

West Babylon, NY

#27 Jan 27, 2012
We should not accept employee early retirement "incentives". It does not have all the savings some say it does. As a group, let them make the unfoutunate hard choice among themselves to reduce pay and increase health contributions or choose who will be laid off. Our kids without a bus is no easy choice for us. This of course includes the layoff of all non teaching staff as much as possible.
Teachers Union

Northport, NY

#28 Jan 27, 2012
You can't lay me off I gotta tenure suckers!
Crooked

West Islip, NY

#29 Jan 27, 2012
They are all crooked!
Crooked

West Islip, NY

#30 Jan 27, 2012
Gee, I wonder why someone suddenly chose to close Westbrook? Gee, I wonder who they will hire to handle the lease of it? Gee, I wonder what percentage of money will go to the person making that deal? Gee, I wonder....
Wrong

West Islip, NY

#31 Jan 27, 2012
Teachers Union wrote:
You can't lay me off I gotta tenure suckers!
Tenure means nothing more than a heaing if they want to fire you. 20 years in a district and I was gone.
Crooked

West Islip, NY

#32 Jan 27, 2012
Who will make the most $$ at the expense of the kids? Kaching!
Boo hoo

Lindenhurst, NY

#33 Jan 28, 2012
Wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Tenure means nothing more than a heaing if they want to fire you. 20 years in a district and I was gone.
You musta sucked so bad!
WIbabydaddy

Lindenhurst, NY

#34 Jan 29, 2012
If this is too insulting to write on the patch, it needs to be discussed. We can do that here. I thought it sounded worthy of discussion. Does anyone have an answer to this comment below?

We should all be concerned with what we pay in retiree pension and benefits because it is a growing number which has an impact on the budget in fact these increasing costs can be said to have led us to closing two grammar schools. A principal has decided to retire, and there is talk that when they do they will be given an additional $75K (or higher) incentive to retire, although apparently there is no mention of this for full disclosure in the minutes, this is on top of all their other generous pension/benefits. Do we need to be throwing more money after retiring employees of the district? How was $75K set aside in such a tight budget? It wasn’t found in the budget passed last year so how with two grammar schools being closed is it possible to be doing such an agreement, and it better not be in next years budget either.
Crooked

West Islip, NY

#35 Jan 29, 2012
That incentive was offered to all admin. In order for them to retire. The $$ comes from a separate account, not in the budget.

Question is, who will make the $$ in the lease of Westbrook? Time will soon tell...time will show whose pockets will be stuffed & why some votes went the way they did....
WIbabydaddy

Lindenhurst, NY

#36 Jan 29, 2012
Are you sure about that? What account would that be? Can it be found in last years budget? The votes supposedly went the way it did because BOE members didn't want their children who attend MS to be disrupted, did you hear that too?
phil

Copiague, NY

#37 Jan 29, 2012
Crooked wrote:
That incentive was offered to all admin. In order for them to retire. The $$ comes from a separate account, not in the budget.
Question is, who will make the $$ in the lease of Westbrook? Time will soon tell...time will show whose pockets will be stuffed & why some votes went the way they did....
Yes, actually all of the incentive money comes from the budget!But this is NOT something the boe wants known. Every year money is earmarked (BUDGET MONEY) to sock away into the teacher's retirement account. It builds up over time, but it's still OUR tax money in that wisd retirement fund! the wisd retirement fund is going to be paying out the hundreds of thousands of dollars in retirement incentives. So make no mistake about it folks, all of that incentive money has been gotten from our wallets!
phil

Copiague, NY

#38 Jan 29, 2012
Crooked wrote:
Gee, I wonder why someone suddenly chose to close Westbrook? Gee, I wonder who they will hire to handle the lease of it? Gee, I wonder what percentage of money will go to the person making that deal? Gee, I wonder....
Look who's on the PAWS board. It's the same people that you are talking about. Same boe members, same realtors, same town of islip zoning boe members. This town is turning into one big circle jerk. Vote 'em all out one by one.
Crooked

West Islip, NY

#39 Jan 29, 2012
Won't it be interesting when she gets her kick back? Why people in this town allow this is beyond me. I'd say that's a nice buck, helping set up a long-term lease... Some nice monthly $$. In the meantime, the kids suffer because of greed. They will loose out, in a tiny school, so the big one can make her and her friends money. Tsk tsk tsk
WIbabydaddy

Lindenhurst, NY

#40 Jan 29, 2012
phil wrote:
<quoted text>
Look who's on the PAWS board. It's the same people that you are talking about. Same boe members, same realtors, same town of islip zoning boe members. This town is turning into one big circle jerk. Vote 'em all out one by one.
You mean as in our tax dollars. So what's in it for the same people? Can we break it down, slowly, and dissect the crap out of it? Can we put all the connections together slowly under a microscope? Who are the power players in this district, in this community, local and state government? Any stabs? Let us take it nice and slow, use first initial and last initial so we all understand but don't really have to actually say so. Do this for the purpose of "transparency" and of course intimate where they each hold loyalty to. Everyone can participate.
Zoning board of appeals...A.L. and can anyone ask why not someone else? What's with that choice, anyone? Educate me, please, I am a naive person.
Cathy

West Babylon, NY

#41 Jan 29, 2012
WIbabydaddy wrote:
If this is too insulting to write on the patch, it needs to be discussed. We can do that here. I thought it sounded worthy of discussion. Does anyone have an answer to this comment below?
We should all be concerned with what we pay in retiree pension and benefits because it is a growing number which has an impact on the budget in fact these increasing costs can be said to have led us to closing two grammar schools. A principal has decided to retire, and there is talk that when they do they will be given an additional $75K (or higher) incentive to retire, although apparently there is no mention of this for full disclosure in the minutes, this is on top of all their other generous pension/benefits. Do we need to be throwing more money after retiring employees of the district? How was $75K set aside in such a tight budget? It wasn’t found in the budget passed last year so how with two grammar schools being closed is it possible to be doing such an agreement, and it better not be in next years budget either.
If it is not in the budget how can the district write the checks? It is one thing to to disagree with this policy but quite another if it is put together in such a way as to deliberatrely mislead West Islip residents. We should NOT assume it was. However, the BOE needs to clear up this confusion.
mr2j

Copiague, NY

#42 Jan 30, 2012
WIbabydaddy wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean as in our tax dollars. So what's in it for the same people? Can we break it down, slowly, and dissect the crap out of it? Can we put all the connections together slowly under a microscope? Who are the power players in this district, in this community, local and state government? Any stabs? Let us take it nice and slow, use first initial and last initial so we all understand but don't really have to actually say so. Do this for the purpose of "transparency" and of course intimate where they each hold loyalty to. Everyone can participate.
Zoning board of appeals...A.L. and can anyone ask why not someone else? What's with that choice, anyone? Educate me, please, I am a naive person.
You might not have to wait much longer for the breakdown. I heard Newsday followed up to a 7 page letter they got from a group in WI that broke down all the connections including the Town of Islip Zoning connection. It's about time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr dollarsbill 131,871
NC principal under investigation for allegedly ... (May '14) 8 hr happy-content 11
Hampton looks for more math teachers 9 hr Sierra 38
New technology takes 'bored' out of whiteboard (Dec '08) 10 hr Calvin James 2
Lawsuit threatened over Bible distribution at s... 11 hr Kim Jong Un 8
Person of the week: Jessica Marchetti (Mar '12) 12 hr fapper 7
Oakville youths get inside story on drugs, sext... 15 hr why no debates 1
More from around the web