New Elementary Boundary Info Hits WI Homes

Apr 27, 2012 Full story: Patch.com 95

Parents across West Islip on Friday began receiving information about the school district's new elementary boundaries and which school their child will be attending in September.

Full Story
TNT

West Islip, NY

#62 May 1, 2012
Been There wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I am a "townie" and proud of it. You on the other hand are an ass! I have made this conclusion from you posts on here, even the ones before you changed your name as well as on Patch. Good bye and good luck, it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation with you.
Take your ball and go home, sore losers are cry babies and it's always the ones with the ego's the size of tomorrow that act like you do. Here is a news flash...YOU DON'T OWN WEST ISLIP!
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#63 May 1, 2012
People who have recently moved into this town with babies or no children (yet) moved here because of the reputation of the schools. I have been contacted by friends of friends who are looking to purchase homes in West Islip and they specifically asked about the closure of 2 elementary schools and how will it affect their child's education. Don't think it doesn't matter, BECAUSE IT DOES. As for those of us who chose to stay here, who bought houses from our parents, some of us wanted to stay here, some of us couldn't afford to buy a house that wasn't at a reduced price because it was sold by a parent, that doesn't really matter. The fact is the main selling point of this town is THE SCHOOLS. We have NOTHING ELSE GOING FOR US OVER HERE. There are no businesses, it isn't a pretty town to look at. All there is are medical offices and the hospital with a small local business here or there.

Yes it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on here because people love to attack each other for having an opinion. Honestly, it doesn't make me a cry baby because I disagree with what is going on here. And AGAIN, this is America! I should be allowed to open my mouth if something makes me unhappy.

In my opinion, I think this decision was a mistake. I think Westbrook should remain open as come September, Manetuck will have a student population that is LARGER than the middle school student population and Oquenock will have about 20 fewer students than they have at Beach Street. Does this make sense? It is RIDICULOUS. Oquenock's class size is now the largest in the entire district. On realtor websites when you look at homes in the area and click on the schools, they boast small class sizes. That's now a thing of the past.

Now, most of the homes for sale in West Islip are zoned for Manetuck and Oquenock. I guess we all should just cross our fingers that NO ONE ELSE MOVES IN!!!!!!!!
Been There

West Islip, NY

#64 May 1, 2012
We have NOTHING ELSE GOING FOR US OVER HERE. There are no businesses, it isn't a pretty town to look at.

Are you kidding me? That is a slap in the face to everyone in this town!

I didnt stay just because of the schools I stayed for the people. I love the fact that my kids hang out with the kids of people I went to HS with. I love having a conversation with someone in Target and finding out that they graduated with my brother or that they remember my Mom from years ago.

Yes, you can have your opinion and now after that statement I have mine.
Your right

West Islip, NY

#65 May 1, 2012
Yes Jessica you are right. Westbrook should stay open and oquenock should close. That is how it should have been to begin with. Btw, comparing the sizes of the middle schools is down right dumb. Middle schools have 3 grades as opposed to elem. having 6. And the middle schools combined would not have fit, period. Close oquenock, keep Westbrook, and then you can stop crying about oquenock having too many kids.

And... If having 6 elementary schools is the only reason why you like living in west Islip, then you should move.

Here are my reasons for loving it here:
1. Small town feel in a suburban setting
2. Proximity to the parkways and train for an easy commute
3. Proximity to the beach and fire island for summer days
4. No commercial or industrial property
5. My boat on my canal
6. Amazing youth organizations
7. People who care about one another and come together to show support when it counts
8. My neighbors who always look out for each other
9. My church
10. And yes the GREAT SCHOOLS that my children who are in the system, look forward to going to every day.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#66 May 1, 2012
Been There wrote:
We have NOTHING ELSE GOING FOR US OVER HERE. There are no businesses, it isn't a pretty town to look at.
Are you kidding me? That is a slap in the face to everyone in this town!
I didnt stay just because of the schools I stayed for the people. I love the fact that my kids hang out with the kids of people I went to HS with. I love having a conversation with someone in Target and finding out that they graduated with my brother or that they remember my Mom from years ago.
Yes, you can have your opinion and now after that statement I have mine.
Listen, I have lived here for most of my life. I am simply stating that for people moving in, the schools are really the only big draw. That's a fact. Sorry if you can't accept it. It's not the most beautiful town. There is no nice main street with shops and things to do like Babylon or Bay Shore. The fact is it is a town full of doctor's offices. That's it. The only reason people move here is because of the schools!!!! People like you and I stay because we love the town in spite of the fact that there is no nice main street. We like the people, yes, you are right, however other people just moving in don't have that. They have the schools.
TNT

West Islip, NY

#67 May 1, 2012
Jessica wrote:
People who have recently moved into this town with babies or no children (yet) moved here because of the reputation of the schools. I have been contacted by friends of friends who are looking to purchase homes in West Islip and they specifically asked about the closure of 2 elementary schools and how will it affect their child's education. Don't think it doesn't matter, BECAUSE IT DOES. As for those of us who chose to stay here, who bought houses from our parents, some of us wanted to stay here, some of us couldn't afford to buy a house that wasn't at a reduced price because it was sold by a parent, that doesn't really matter. The fact is the main selling point of this town is THE SCHOOLS. We have NOTHING ELSE GOING FOR US OVER HERE. There are no businesses, it isn't a pretty town to look at. All there is are medical offices and the hospital with a small local business here or there.
Yes it is impossible to have an intelligent conversation on here because people love to attack each other for having an opinion. Honestly, it doesn't make me a cry baby because I disagree with what is going on here. And AGAIN, this is America! I should be allowed to open my mouth if something makes me unhappy.
In my opinion, I think this decision was a mistake. I think Westbrook should remain open as come September, Manetuck will have a student population that is LARGER than the middle school student population and Oquenock will have about 20 fewer students than they have at Beach Street. Does this make sense? It is RIDICULOUS. Oquenock's class size is now the largest in the entire district. On realtor websites when you look at homes in the area and click on the schools, they boast small class sizes. That's now a thing of the past.
Now, most of the homes for sale in West Islip are zoned for Manetuck and Oquenock. I guess we all should just cross our fingers that NO ONE ELSE MOVES IN!!!!!!!!
Jessica, the truth hurts people and then they have to get pissy and attack the opinion of someone else. The word Townie was offensive to MS. West Islip, it was just stating a fact. I didn't say it was a negative thing, I just said that her love for her town simply blurrs her ability to see the truth, or admit the truth. Every community can flaunt the beaches on Long Island and if you live on the south shore, the canals, and the church community and if they have a nice neighborhood, that too, and their town leagues, and community involvement. It's all about the schools that you send your kids to, it matters to people the most which is exactly why Realtors advertise as you have explained, because it's probably the biggest selling points attractive to people with children, without children and even seniors because it speaks volumes about the quality of a community and the emphasis placed on all the right things. The LIRR, and other things are just added bonus's. To them, the truth is hate speech.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#68 May 1, 2012
Your right wrote:
Yes Jessica you are right. Westbrook should stay open and oquenock should close. That is how it should have been to begin with. Btw, comparing the sizes of the middle schools is down right dumb. Middle schools have 3 grades as opposed to elem. having 6. And the middle schools combined would not have fit, period. Close oquenock, keep Westbrook, and then you can stop crying about oquenock having too many kids.
And... If having 6 elementary schools is the only reason why you like living in west Islip, then you should move.
Here are my reasons for loving it here:
1. Small town feel in a suburban setting
2. Proximity to the parkways and train for an easy commute
3. Proximity to the beach and fire island for summer days
4. No commercial or industrial property
5. My boat on my canal
6. Amazing youth organizations
7. People who care about one another and come together to show support when it counts
8. My neighbors who always look out for each other
9. My church
10. And yes the GREAT SCHOOLS that my children who are in the system, look forward to going to every day.
The same is to be said for those who only moved here because of the 2 middle schools. If having 2 middle schools is the only reason you like living in West Islip then you should move. Best decision would have been to close Udall or Beach and bring 6th grade back leaving both Westbrook and Oquenock open. The fact is whether it was Westbrook or Oquenock that closed, they would still have a huge student population (as big as the middle school population) and the class size would have been the biggest in the district. The complaint would be the same. Wake up.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#69 May 1, 2012
And @ Your right, your boat on the canal indicates that you are on the side of town that won't have crowded elementary schools. My guess is if you were a Manetuck or Oquenock parent you would feel differently.

I guess you also don't seem to care about the lies we have been told regarding class sizes. You know, about how the class sizes were going to stay the same....and they are clearly not remaining the same. Which is obvious to anyone with a brain. You can't close 2 buildings and have the class size not go up. But they kept telling us class size wouldn't be affected. And I guess it really isn't going to be FOR YOU. But for the rest of us, we are seeing an increase.

Or what about the lies that everyone was going to be redistricted and in reality they just tore Westbrook apart and virtually left everyone else alone.

Or the lies that we were 6 million in the hole, but lo and behold all of a sudden we aren't???

Or the lies that they are not cutting BOCES, rather they are forcing students to "exhaust their electives" in the HS first - only they can't exhaust their electives in the HS because they don't have room in their schedules, so basically BOCES IS taken away from a great number of students.

Or what about the so called cutting of 9th grade sports? It wasn't even really cut, the money is still there in the budget - it is just that the 9th graders have no one to play because all the surrounding districts have cut 9th grade sports. We'll just keep the money there in case anyone else decides they want to play us......

So you can forgive me if I am not 100% sure that everything is going to be just fine like they keep telling me. They keep telling me a lot of things and look at what actually happens. I'm not entirely sure that my kids won't be eating lunch at 10AM or that they'll only have 2 days of gym instead of 3 because of scheduling. I am not sure that there won't be trailers in the school yard because of lack of room.......I'm not sure that there will be enough space for all the extracurricular activities with 2 fewer buildings to schedule them in. I do believe the band and chorus and orchestra in the elementary school will double in size and we won't be able to have concerts in the elementary school or if we are permitted to have them, everyone who wants to come watch will not be able to because there is no room, and we won't be able to hold it in the high school or either middle school because of all the other things that will be going on there.

I guess I can just try to look on the bright side. Maybe I will have less running around to do if my kids aren't able to do any of these things.......
phil

West Islip, NY

#70 May 1, 2012
Jess is right, it's not a pretty town to look at.
Run down rentals by the rr tracks w/cars parked on the lawn. Vacant stores. Burned out lots. Abandoned restaurants. Forclosures. Face it, West Islip isn't a pretty town anymore. And come June 26 West Islip'll have 2 boarded up schools to look at too. Mmmmmm real pretty.
DISMANTLE THE BOE MAY 15TH.
TNT

West Islip, NY

#71 May 1, 2012
phil wrote:
Jess is right, it's not a pretty town to look at.
Run down rentals by the rr tracks w/cars parked on the lawn. Vacant stores. Burned out lots. Abandoned restaurants. Forclosures. Face it, West Islip isn't a pretty town anymore. And come June 26 West Islip'll have 2 boarded up schools to look at too. Mmmmmm real pretty.
DISMANTLE THE BOE MAY 15TH.
When you're right, you're right! Mr. "your right" from the looks of things, you'd (as in,*you would*) benefit from keeping open those two ES. Do you know what a contraction is?
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#72 May 1, 2012
TNT wrote:
<quoted text>
When you're right, you're right! Mr. "your right" from the looks of things, you'd (as in,*you would*) benefit from keeping open those two ES. Do you know what a contraction is?
Maybe "your right" went to school in WI during the last upheaval when everyone was shuffled around and kids went to 3 or 4 different elementary schools in 5 years......
New Oquanok Parent

West Islip, NY

#73 May 1, 2012
I hope to God I dont have one of your kids in my kid's class Jessica. I feel sorry for them to have to deal with the falling out of your attitude.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#74 May 1, 2012
New Oquanok Parent wrote:
I hope to God I dont have one of your kids in my kid's class Jessica. I feel sorry for them to have to deal with the falling out of your attitude.
Oh grow up. I haven't said anything negative about Westbrook coming to our school. I am looking forward to having my Westbrook friends with me. I guess you are happy that your school got torn up 3 different ways and that your kid will be attending the school with the largest class size in the district. That's fine if you are, I just don't have to agree with that decision, nor do I have to like it. Bottom line is you don't know me at all and know nothing about my "attitude". I have a problem with what the BOE did. I don't think it is best for any of our kids. I don't like it, and I don't have to. I'm concerned about a lot of things, and sorry if I make it known and question what I think is a bad decision. And also, I apologize if it offends you when some moron who doesn't know the difference between 'your' and 'you're' starts with me, and I get a little bitchy about it.
TNT

West Islip, NY

#75 May 1, 2012
New Oquanok Parent wrote:
I hope to God I dont have one of your kids in my kid's class Jessica. I feel sorry for them to have to deal with the falling out of your attitude.
When in doubt, and with nothing of substance to add, you instead do the easier and really sleazy thing, you choose to make personal attacks on this woman. She holds no public office position, she's just a regular run of the mill mother and housewife who has a right to express her opinion. While she may regret ever using her true identity, slime buckets like you have no qualms about using that to make personal attacks against her and her kids. It shows what a low life you really are. She should be hoping that her children aren't in the same class with yours because no child should have to deal with an apple that fell from your rotten tree!
Oquenock Parent

West Islip, NY

#76 May 1, 2012
New Oquanok Parent wrote:
I hope to God I dont have one of your kids in my kid's class Jessica. I feel sorry for them to have to deal with the falling out of your attitude.
You see the writing on the wall before you even get here. Good for you.
Enough is enough

Raynham, MA

#77 May 1, 2012
I think jessica's comparision to the middle schools was valid. Yes they only have three grades, but they are sustantially larger buildings. That is the point. You will have more students crammed in the smaller elementary schools and fewer students in the much larger middle schools.

Just wait and see. There will be no room for support services to be offered. It will be a mess.
wbmom

West Islip, NY

#78 May 1, 2012
Jessica, i do not even have the words to describe how insensitive and callous you are being here. From the beginning of this issue, all you have done was think and talk about yourself, your daughter, your needs you, you you. well now YOU got what you wanted, your school stayed open, your daughter gets to stay with her friends, and more than that, none of oquenock has to move at all. those of us who are being disrupted, are trying to make the best of it, look on the bright side, make it ok for our kids, yet all you can do is be negative condescending and rude. the class sizes are fine yet here we go with your doosday poredictions, your "I know better then them" "they made the wrong choice". It is really tiresome. Your westbrook "friends"? I am not thinking there are many of us.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#79 May 1, 2012
wbmom wrote:
Jessica, i do not even have the words to describe how insensitive and callous you are being here. From the beginning of this issue, all you have done was think and talk about yourself, your daughter, your needs you, you you. well now YOU got what you wanted, your school stayed open, your daughter gets to stay with her friends, and more than that, none of oquenock has to move at all. those of us who are being disrupted, are trying to make the best of it, look on the bright side, make it ok for our kids, yet all you can do is be negative condescending and rude. the class sizes are fine yet here we go with your doosday poredictions, your "I know better then them" "they made the wrong choice". It is really tiresome. Your westbrook "friends"? I am not thinking there are many of us.
Yes yes yes you are right, I am the most disgusting, hideous, horrific person in the entire world. I am so sorry you have to be stuck at Oquenock with me. What a nightmare for you.

Here is what you are refusing to understand. It was NEVER about MY child from the beginning. Everyone wants to yell and scream and say I only care about my child, but the fact is I only brought my child up because everyone wanted to yap on and on and on about how elementary school children are the most resilient and blah blah blah. I brought MY child up because I happen to be one of the unlucky people who has a child who IS NOT resilient. If you go back and look you will see I never wanted 2 elementary schools to close.

Now I know it is difficult for everyone to understand that once they voted to close 2 schools, I did feel that Oquenock shouldn't close for various reasons - safety, location, the building inspection reports that indicated that Oquenock had one more classroom than Westbrook, etc., etc., etc. I know everyone thinks I just wanted Oquenock open because my kids go there, but what I have said MANY times is that I wouldn't have cared if my children went to Westbrook. I MYSELF WENT TO WESTBROOK. I have plenty of friends (whether you believe that or not) who go to Westbrook and my children and I would have been very happy there, I have no doubt. I STILL would have a problem whether I was at Westbrook or Oquenock with the size of the classes.

I have also stated that I think it is unfair how the families of Westbrook were treated in that they are being split up amongst 3 schools. Do you even read what I write or do you just see my name and automatically want to attack me? I personally told Mr. Gellar that I didn't think it was fair, and that there are people going to Bellew from Westbrook that are further away from Bellew than I am and - not that I want to leave - but I don't think it is right. Especially when we were told that everyone would be redistricted.

If you actually knew me, you would know that I am a fair and honest and the most unselfish person you will ever meet. I will do the right thing if it kills me. I think this decision was wrong and I am going to speak out against it. Go find some of my Westbrook friends and ask them. And if you want to show up at Oquenock hating my guts in September that's fine, but I will be welcoming you. And for you and the other one who want to yell and scream about what a hateful person I am, I'll have a kid in 3rd and a kid in Kindergarten, so go tell Mr. Maniscalco that you don't want to be anywhere near me. That should make their already very difficult job a lot easier.
wbmom

West Islip, NY

#80 May 1, 2012
Jessica, i do not even hae the words to describe how sensitive and caring you are being here. From the beginning of this issue, all you have done was show the normal concern for you daughter, your opinions, which you are entitled to. You made your preference known, as many parents have, the difference is that you chose to use your real identity, and now Oquenock doesn't have to move at all. Those of us who are being disrupted, we admit are being disrupted, and I am pretending to try to make the best of it because I am a puppet for the boe. I need to be condescending and rude to you because I am so regretful that I rested on my laurels and did nothing pro-active like you did, although I fell for the deception from one BOE trustee, and I accepted the ruse. Those doomsday predictions aren't predictions, numbers don't lie.
It's not so difficult to know better than them about making the wrong choices, since 2 schools are closing in one year, that's pretty drastic. The excuses are getting tiresome. Your Westbrook friends wish they took your lead and faced the reality the way you did.
Jessica

Brentwood, NY

#81 May 1, 2012
wbmom wrote:
Jessica, i do not even hae the words to describe how sensitive and caring you are being here. From the beginning of this issue, all you have done was show the normal concern for you daughter, your opinions, which you are entitled to. You made your preference known, as many parents have, the difference is that you chose to use your real identity, and now Oquenock doesn't have to move at all. Those of us who are being disrupted, we admit are being disrupted, and I am pretending to try to make the best of it because I am a puppet for the boe. I need to be condescending and rude to you because I am so regretful that I rested on my laurels and did nothing pro-active like you did, although I fell for the deception from one BOE trustee, and I accepted the ruse. Those doomsday predictions aren't predictions, numbers don't lie.
It's not so difficult to know better than them about making the wrong choices, since 2 schools are closing in one year, that's pretty drastic. The excuses are getting tiresome. Your Westbrook friends wish they took your lead and faced the reality the way you did.
Thank you! We will have a great time next year because that is all we can do to make the best of it, but the fact remains that this was a bad decision for ALL of our kids. Especially since they were in error about that 6 million dollar deficit..........So do we REALLY need to close Westbrook? I STILL DON'T THINK SO! There are TOO MANY KIDS OVER HERE. In a couple of years, they will need to reopen Westbrook, and all of your children will be shuffled around YET AGAIN. And I don't want that for any of them. Because I have seen first hand what that does, and it isn't good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Etc. Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 23 min dollarsbill 131,915
Intruder places pamphlets in lockers of Oakvill... 26 min Ted 1
STARNES: Tennessee school's Nation of Islam han... 15 hr Atomic 64
Panther Valley approves tax increases (Jun '08) 19 hr Pondish 64
ACLU lawsuit: Ferguson school board excludes bl... Sat Marcus Welby 6
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) Sat Hacker 618
Catholic board trustees want report on possible... Sat WiFi 1
More from around the web