Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school

May 26, 2012 Full story: Free Republic

A judge issued Diane Tran, 17, a summons Wednesday for her excessive truancy after she missed class.

Full Story
losing it

Willcox, AZ

#1 May 26, 2012
This is so wrong, this girl is working two jobs and she is an honor student. The Judge should be put away. So sad.
Citizen

Kittanning, PA

#2 May 30, 2012
This is just another example of a judge refusing to use his authority to prevent an injustice from occurring. It may be the law, but laws are not always set in stone. I believe that the citizens of this school district should file a greivance against the school for harrassing this student. She should pursue an appointment with a physcologist and sue the school and the state for making her emotionally unstable. You know this law was set up to protect the schools income. The school obviously knew what the problem was and instead of resolving the issue internally they decided for some reason to take out their frustrations on this child. I think she should have herself committed for emotional counseling for thirty days and really rip into the pockets of the school. These hard or tough guys should have taken into account that she was not just out running the roads. In the old days the parents needed help on the farm they just came and got their kids to work. In other words some kind of an adjustment should have been made to accomadate her work schedule. The parents of any child should have the right to determine truancy issues and the school should only step in when the child fails. Obviously, since she was an Honor Student at this school, then in order to punish her do you think that all students in this school who are not honor students should be punished also for wasting the schools time and money? This is another example of stupidity of people in power. The law states that the law is broken when it is the intent of the individual to break the law. She should have been brought before the judge, but I did not read whether she had legal council or not. This girl may be 17, but the court is treating her for a criminal offence based on laws regarding a child. Tell me, If she is considered an adult, then she can excuse herself from school, or is she a victim of slavery. There was no crime committed here if the court is considering her an adult to punish her in a criminal proceeding. Truancy is an offense committed by minors and not adults. It is my opinion that the minute the court recognized her authority as an adult the case was over. She quite simply can say she was sick on the days she was absent and only a doctor could say she wasn't in his opinion. Judge morairity dropped the ball.
hwyangel

United States

#3 Jul 3, 2012
The parents are the ones that should have been in jail.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Education Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SAP C_HANASUP_1 exam brain dumps 1 hr Harryexam 1
ITCertTest HP HP0-J73 exam practice questions a... 1 hr Harryexam 1
Microsoft 70-246 training and testing 1 hr Harryexam 1
The latest SAP C_TFIN52_65 Exam free download 1 hr Harryexam 1
The best Cisco 700-501 exam training materials 1 hr Harryexam 1
Microsoft 70-247 exam pdf dumps 1 hr Harryexam 1
The best of Citrix certification 1Y0-200 exam t... 1 hr Harryexam 1

Education People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE