UAW faces painful transformation

May 14, 2009 | Posted by: TNAPWife | Full story: www.detnews.com

The United Auto Workers, like the automakers whose employees it represents, is struggling to survive the worst financial crisis to hit the auto industry since the Great Depression.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of4,831
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
NorthSouth

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 14, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

These are crazy times we are living!!!

“Change NAFTA/ Trade Agreements”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 14, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

2

NorthSouth wrote:
These are crazy times we are living!!!
It seems by this article there is plenty to worry about if we stay with the company. Also, 318 UAW-appointed representatives would be eliminated under the terms set for U.S. Treasury loans. It's a real mess.
NorthSouth

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Iamfedup2 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's a real mess.
Only way the mess can be fixed... is sales. Lots of em. There IS pent up demand for autos and it's only rising. It won't be long and people will let go of their money and loans will get a little easier to get. It would take 50 years of overtime to replace the current fleet of auto's that are on the roads....all wearing out... mile after mile. The odemeters keep spinning. The bubble WILL burst sooner or later. Will it be too late?
FredUAW

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

NorthSouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Only way the mess can be fixed... is sales. Lots of em. There IS pent up demand for autos and it's only rising. It won't be long and people will let go of their money and loans will get a little easier to get. It would take 50 years of overtime to replace the current fleet of auto's that are on the roads....all wearing out... mile after mile. The odemeters keep spinning. The bubble WILL burst sooner or later. Will it be too late?
I wish that people had the jobs, and the thawed credit market needed to start buying cars again. That would be real nice....
jnap person

Macomb, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

9

3

1

here is the problem, people are pissed off at the gov. and the uaw and if you read the comments outside this post, people are saying they will never buy a chrysler or gm car ever. they are pissed at the socialist obama gov. and the way they are treating the workers, if you think your pay is not gonna change you are fooling yourself, fiat is not even a top tier car company in europe, opel outsold them im europe, so all this fiat hype is all it is just hype, i would take the buyout now and move on everyone staying are about to get screwed, good luck to all.
FredUAW

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

5

3

3

jnap person wrote:
here is the problem, people are pissed off at the gov. and the uaw and if you read the comments outside this post, people are saying they will never buy a chrysler or gm car ever. they are pissed at the socialist obama gov. and the way they are treating the workers, if you think your pay is not gonna change you are fooling yourself, fiat is not even a top tier car company in europe, opel outsold them im europe, so all this fiat hype is all it is just hype, i would take the buyout now and move on everyone staying are about to get screwed, good luck to all.
Absolutely, I see much of the same thing here and in other places. What escapes me though is the lack of outrage in regards to actual communist nations such as China, and closed markets such as Japan.

All of the hype over GM and Chryslers bailouts is fine. But when I post information about toyota and honda doing the exact same thing in Japan, as well as recieving American tax dollars to set up shop here in southern states.....nothing. Not even a peep. Why is that?
Iamfedup2

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

jnap person wrote:
here is the problem, people are pissed off at the gov. and the uaw and if you read the comments outside this post, people are saying they will never buy a chrysler or gm car ever. they are pissed at the socialist obama gov. and the way they are treating the workers, if you think your pay is not gonna change you are fooling yourself, fiat is not even a top tier car company in europe, opel outsold them im europe, so all this fiat hype is all it is just hype, i would take the buyout now and move on everyone staying are about to get screwed, good luck to all.
I think you are right. They are not done screwing us yet. More to come.

“Change NAFTA/ Trade Agreements”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

3

1

Hard for us to compete with $3.50hr wages. Eventually they will leave the USA. It's just a matter of time.

“Proud SHAP Worker”

Since: Feb 09

Michigan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

4

2

2

Iamfedup2 wrote:
Hard for us to compete with $3.50hr wages. Eventually they will leave the USA. It's just a matter of time.
It'll come full-circle. Remember melamine and pet deaths from Chinese made food? Lead-based paints from Chinese made toys. Let's just hope American opens its eyes before its ALL too late.

Yes, everything can be made cheaper--but at what expense???
Runny

Charlotte, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

4

3

2

The news said chinese tires and rims are faulty,their valve stems crack and are very dangerous.....
Brian Miller

Brodhead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

3

3

2

The only way out of this is for Americans to have more jobs, and good ones. It seems to me the more jobs we loose the less people there are to buy the products. I don't hear about that many vehicles being sold in Mexico, wait that's right the can't afford them they don't make enough, wait pretty soon we won't either. This is a downward spiral that greedy politicians and executives started. But guess who has to pay for it in the end, we do so I say do away with free trade and to hell with the other countries if they don't like it! If it's going be sold here it should be built here and if they want to build it over there make them pay through the nose to bring it back here to sell it! That way they can pay for our unemployment. It is our goverments job to lead us in the right direction, too bad the only place they know how to get to is their own pockets!
FredUAW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Brian Miller wrote:
The only way out of this is for Americans to have more jobs, and good ones. It seems to me the more jobs we loose the less people there are to buy the products. I don't hear about that many vehicles being sold in Mexico, wait that's right the can't afford them they don't make enough, wait pretty soon we won't either. This is a downward spiral that greedy politicians and executives started. But guess who has to pay for it in the end, we do so I say do away with free trade and to hell with the other countries if they don't like it! If it's going be sold here it should be built here and if they want to build it over there make them pay through the nose to bring it back here to sell it! That way they can pay for our unemployment. It is our goverments job to lead us in the right direction, too bad the only place they know how to get to is their own pockets!
Either that or whole sale deflation. If 90% of all Americans are going to be living off of min wage, whom exactly is going to be able to afford $100,000+ homes, and $30,000+ cars, or $15,000+ yr worth of college tuition?

The rich have mostly purchased all that they'll ever need. Normally they spend thier money on high ticket items such as art, and realestate. The poor do not have the means to purchase much. The middle class is responsible for nearly 80% of the commerce here in America.

Without middle class commerce, what will become of our economy?
T-Bone Pickens

Lyman, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

5

4

4

FredUAW wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely, I see much of the same thing here and in other places. What escapes me though is the lack of outrage in regards to actual communist nations such as China, and closed markets such as Japan.
All of the hype over GM and Chryslers bailouts is fine. But when I post information about toyota and honda doing the exact same thing in Japan, as well as recieving American tax dollars to set up shop here in southern states.....nothing. Not even a peep. Why is that?
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
FredUAW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

4

4

3

T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
Do you have anything that even resembles data to back up those claims?
FredUAW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

3

2

2

T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
For example, heres some data that refutes your claims. Many of the jobs don't even pay well.

South Carolina's average manufacturing wage rose by 5 percent, to $10.54, from 1994 to 1998, far less than inflation and less than the 12 percent increase of manufacturing wages nationally during the same time.

http://www.strom.clemson.edu/teams/ced/tax_ne...
aggravatedstl

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

New World Order.
Surely there are business people out there who are patriotic and loyal to our country's prosperity...who actually care and don't blame everyone else but themselves... there are no more heroes...Jesus Christ is the only one left
to set a good example.
larry

Oscoda, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

jnap person wrote:
here is the problem, people are pissed off at the gov. and the uaw and if you read the comments outside this post, people are saying they will never buy a chrysler or gm car ever. they are pissed at the socialist obama gov. and the way they are treating the workers, if you think your pay is not gonna change you are fooling yourself, fiat is not even a top tier car company in europe, opel outsold them im europe, so all this fiat hype is all it is just hype, i would take the buyout now and move on everyone staying are about to get screwed, good luck to all.
CNN Poll says 70% of people say they will consider a domestic auto for there next purchase,and 40% will only purchase from a domestic.That is a very high number!
snoozebuttonusa

Yonkers, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

7

4

4

never buy gm or chrysler again, everyone i talk to. even the local township I work for is floating the idea of going ford ONLY.
IIsneed2open

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
Its amazing how people forget that these auto companies (U.S.) have been in business for years, have helped millions and sent many to college, helped many communities, etc. BS on the foreign companies getting nothing, I'm from the south and watched states there outbid each other with many incentives to get the foreign plants and with UAW tax payer money. Nothing close was offered to the U.S. companies.
laidofftwice

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
May 15, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

T-Bone Pickens wrote:
<quoted text>
Transplants received nothing. They did get property tax relief and breaks on corporate taxes for a limited period. It paid off in thousands of NEW jobs, and much more in taxes collected had there not been those incentives. The amount was a drop in the bucket compared to the giveaway to UAW. For example, here BMW has 5,000 workers plus another 12,000 are employed in the supplier base. They breaks they got have been repaid many times over. The UAW will be back for more in another 2 years.
No jobs were gained. All those wonderful BMW and Japanese transplant jobs you love so much came at the expense of well established Existing jobs. Cars didn't get any cheaper. All that was accomplished was lower wages and benefits, but I guess you love that too.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of4,831
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Detroit Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Detroit People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••