1 - 20 of 52 Comments Last updated Nov 4, 2011
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Andrea

Watertown, NY

#1 Jun 28, 2008
Hi,
My husband and I are PCSing to Baumholder possibly as soon as September. He is scheduled to be in the unit that is deployed right now. I was wondering if there are any wives, husbands, mothers, etc. that could let me know how the deployment is going? My husband is currently in 10th Mountain and just got back last summer from the worst deployment imaginable. I'm kind of trying to brace myself for what is to come. How is communication? Have they lost a lot of people? Are they gone on dangerous missions a lot? When are they projected to be coming home?Any info. would be helpful!
Also...how do you guys like it there? Is off-post housing easy to find? Are their any ladies that work at Landstuhl? I'm a nurse and am interested in getting a job there. Well...as if I haven't bombarded you with enough questions!
Thanks!
Andrea

Watertown, NY

#2 Jun 28, 2008
**I was just reading my post and wanted to take back what I said about it being the "worst deployment imaginable". He came home, safe and sound...so obviously there could have been worse!
Denice

Ithaca, NY

#3 Dec 31, 2008
Andrea, was anyone able to help you? If so, can you give me some tips. I will PCSing this summer. I've searched the internet and did as much leg work as I possibly could. My biggest concern is housing.
Rina

AOL

#4 Jan 22, 2009
Denice, when abouts will you get to Baumholder? We will be PCSing in Aug. 2009....Any luck on the housing issue....email back to rinaalston@aol.com
yayiemai

Germany

#5 Feb 17, 2009
we just went to housing this afternoon and they showed us 1 unit in smith barracks and 1 in wetzel...the one in wetzel is smaller but has its own washer and dryer and is newly painted...they said there are a whole lot more units available in wetzel but in smith barracks the available units are the ones on the higher floors and the one we saw is bigger than wetzel but i didn't like the structure inside cuz the main door is facing the door to another room...im sorry im asian and my family consults feng shui...we didn't get any of those units yet and im hoping i could find a better one in smith barracks tomorrow
jess

Auburndale, FL

#6 May 21, 2009
all i keep reading about housing is that there is no wait..... are there allot of apartments that have washers and dryers? i would prefer wetzel because i liked the 4 bedroom floor plan i saw online better. we only have 2 kids but are there many 4 bedrooms? we are trying for another one so i wanted to try for a larger apartment.
chrissy

Louisville, KY

#7 Jul 18, 2009
Hi ive never pcsed overseas what does the military give you to pay for travel expenses?
Greenfield

Gouldbusk, TX

#8 Aug 15, 2009
I am PCSing to Baumholder, How long do I have to wait in Frankfurt before I can arrive?
Cerita McNeill

UK

#9 Aug 17, 2009
Hey all! I am a military wife here In Baumholder. I live in Wetzel. The housing on base (Smith) is bigger but Wetzel have a balcony... I think that's the only advantage. We have been here for two weeks now. Its a lot of hills and walking at first. Hopefully you will meet someone that has a vehicle to take you to the commisary/px etc. Wetzel is not on post but its good to live in Wetzel. A lot of people that live on post complain about neighbors and drama! People are friendly out here as well. If anyone want to get in contact with me on more info or just want to be friends email me @ skylarncerita@yahoo.com
mabext99

Fort Benning, GA

#10 Sep 25, 2009
Hi! I'm on orders to report to baumholder this Dec' 09. I have 3 kids and my wife coming with me, I already got ammended orders. Do I have two bring my washer and dryer? Is it true that those army liason at the airport can grab me and send me to different base, no matter what my orders say? I would like to see photos of the housing inside, checked a lot of sites none of them can give me a good photos, any suggestions?
Cerita McNeill wrote:
Hey all! I am a military wife here In Baumholder. I live in Wetzel. The housing on base (Smith) is bigger but Wetzel have a balcony... I think that's the only advantage. We have been here for two weeks now. Its a lot of hills and walking at first. Hopefully you will meet someone that has a vehicle to take you to the commisary/px etc. Wetzel is not on post but its good to live in Wetzel. A lot of people that live on post complain about neighbors and drama! People are friendly out here as well. If anyone want to get in contact with me on more info or just want to be friends email me @ skylarncerita@yahoo.com
armyfam

Colorado Springs, CO

#11 Nov 8, 2009
Hi can someone please let me know how we can get a sponsor? Thanks
F Campbell

La Vergne, TN

#12 Nov 9, 2009
mabext99 wrote:
Hi! I'm on orders to report to baumholder this Dec' 09. I have 3 kids and my wife coming with me, I already got ammended orders. Do I have two bring my washer and dryer? Is it true that those army liason at the airport can grab me and send me to different base, no matter what my orders say? I would like to see photos of the housing inside, checked a lot of sites none of them can give me a good photos, any suggestions?
<quoted text>
I was stationed in Baumholder from 2004 til Feb 2009, Store your washer and dryer somewhere safe, they supply that to ya. If your pinpointed to Baumholder, or 2nd BDE, 1AD, your going to Baumholder, Especially if you are Infantry, Tanker, Engineer. The housing is not palatial, but practical, tell your wife to get "small sink" into her mind. A great deal of the apartments have been updated with 110V plugs, but have 220V as well. Watch ALL tje commericals you can, because it's AFN where your going, my kids were essentially babies when I got stationed there, so when we got back stateside, they couldn't get over commercials. If you have anymore questions or concerns email me at fred.campell@us.army.mil
Chris

Lawton, OK

#13 Dec 12, 2009
hello, everyone i am reporting to baumholder in july 2010 and i have a question regarding the 170th inf bde who replaced 2bde/1ad. i am in the field artillery and what is the unit called in baumholder? do i have to get really small before i move? i have 2 kids and my wife will they accommodate with at least 3 bdrm?
Andrea

Austin, TX

#14 Dec 27, 2009
My husband and I are leaving Ft Hood in 10 days with our 18 month old son and 6 year old daughter. We are heading to Baumholder and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any kind of tips or suggestions to help us through the transition. I am also curious on how long it really takes household goods to get there? This is our first duty station change so anything will help. My email is edwardsa37@yahoo.com. Thanks and we'll be there soon.
jess

Kulmbach, Germany

#15 Dec 27, 2009
Andrea wrote:
My husband and I are leaving Ft Hood in 10 days with our 18 month old son and 6 year old daughter. We are heading to Baumholder and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with any kind of tips or suggestions to help us through the transition. I am also curious on how long it really takes household goods to get there? This is our first duty station change so anything will help. My email is edwardsa37@yahoo.com. Thanks and we'll be there soon.
we were re-routed to another base in germany so im not sure about everything in baumholder. it takes about 60 days for you to get your household items. as far as the transition goes... right now its snowing and about 20 degrees outside. i hear baumholder has allot of stripe clubs right off post so know where are you trying to go before you stumble upon the wrong place. most people know conversational english here. all baumholder housing is stairwell apartments so im not sure if you are used to that or not. just make the best of it and if you get rerouted to graf email me and i can tell you everything about here (=
jess

Kulmbach, Germany

#16 Dec 27, 2009
armyfam wrote:
Hi can someone please let me know how we can get a sponsor? Thanks
they are suppossed to give that to you during your orientation.

Since: May 09

Berghaupten, Germany

#17 Dec 28, 2009
Andrea, I wish you well for your transition to Baumholder. I hope you like it here. There are great people both on and off base. There are also very welcoming chapel communities if you are interested.
Have a save journey!
Fr Matthias
pastor, roman catholic parish of Baumholder
Lori

Yuma, AZ

#18 Dec 29, 2009
Fr Matthias wrote:
Andrea, I wish you well for your transition to Baumholder. I hope you like it here. There are great people both on and off base. There are also very welcoming chapel communities if you are interested.
Have a save journey!
Fr Matthias
pastor, roman catholic parish of Baumholder
Hi Father!

I am a civilian who will be relocating from the US to Baumholder this spring and I was wondering if you could give some guidance regarding off post housing? I am also Catholic and would like to beocme involved in the parish there if possible. Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide. My email address is spikelori75@hotmail.com
Edith

Rowlett, TX

#19 Jan 3, 2010
My husband and I are planning on coming to Baumholder in Feb '10 to help our daughter and son-in-law return to the states. We will only be there for a week and would like to know what and where we could go during that week. We would like to know where to stay in Baumholder as well.
Our son-in-law has been stationed there for about 4 years and our daughter has only been there since July '09.
proudmomandarmyw ife

Bodenwerder, Germany

#20 Feb 3, 2010
hey everybody...i grew up here in baumholder and we are stationed here...funny i know ;-)
well housing isnt too bad here...ppl in smith complain alot bc of all that drama(wich is true btw) and ppl in wetzel do the same...some ppl call wetzel the ghetto..not so sure why...
i you dont have a car or license it would be better to live in smith...they wont give you off post housing if they have openings on post...
we just had new neighbors in june09 and their stuff came in november..so you cant really count on the 60day thing they are telling you...
someone wrote about being a nurse and wants to get something in landstuhl....why dont you try it here at the health clinic?!
well so far for now ;-)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baumholder, Germany Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Baumholder, Germany (Jan '09) Apr '14 Kevin 74
I lived in Baumholder 1997-2000 (Jun '09) Apr '14 Sgt Neal 14
1 ST. Bn.13 th inf (Mar '08) Nov '13 vern nygaard 20
16th inf (Apr '13) Apr '13 charles ingle 1
Let's Keep The Baumholder Talk Going (Jan '13) Jan '13 tessie 1
Looking for Anyone from old 257th Personel Company (Nov '12) Nov '12 David Rollins-Lex... 1
wassup (Sep '12) Sep '12 spcburk93 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Baumholder, Germany People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••