Remsen teens charged in fire that destroyed mill

Full story: Observer-Dispatch

REMSEN - Three Remsen teenagers have been charged in connection with a May 17 fire that consumed an old mill on Cincinnati Creek, according to the Oneida County Sheriff's Office.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of113
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Miles

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2007

I'm the non-resident owner of the Old Mill in Remsen that these teenagers burned to the ground. After I was notified the building had burned, and arrests were made, information has been about nil and I've had to dig for it with almost no answers to my many questions. Neither the town nor the fire department notified me. I've written several emails to various Oneida County Offices including the D.A.'s office with only one response that wasn't much help, and another that said my email would be forwarded. I found out the initial court date the day after it was held. I find nothing about the June 25 Oneida court proceedings, nor any follow-up in this paper or anywhere else. It seems as if the victim is forgotten by all. There should be a protocol in place, perhaps in the Sheriff's Office or the town where the incident occurred so a victim knows how to proceed. It is now over a month since this uninsured building burned down May 17 and I've spent hours trying to find out more. Searches here turn up nothing since the week of this devastating incident. It's a poor situation.
mee

Gloversville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 30, 2007

Miles wrote:
I'm the non-resident owner of the Old Mill in Remsen that these teenagers burned to the ground. After I was notified the building had burned, and arrests were made, information has been about nil and I've had to dig for it with almost no answers to my many questions. Neither the town nor the fire department notified me. I've written several emails to various Oneida County Offices including the D.A.'s office with only one response that wasn't much help, and another that said my email would be forwarded. I found out the initial court date the day after it was held. I find nothing about the June 25 Oneida court proceedings, nor any follow-up in this paper or anywhere else. It seems as if the victim is forgotten by all. There should be a protocol in place, perhaps in the Sheriff's Office or the town where the incident occurred so a victim knows how to proceed. It is now over a month since this uninsured building burned down May 17 and I've spent hours trying to find out more. Searches here turn up nothing since the week of this devastating incident. It's a poor situation.
IT,S THE GOOD OLD UP STATE N.Y WAY IF YOUR LAST NAME IS,T BIG U GET NO WHERE YOU,LL GET MORE INFO ON THE STREET
Miles

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 5, 2007

You mean as in last name Thomas or what? Funny you should say that about info on the street, I found out about one of the court dates from such a source, someone in Remsen. It will be 2 months on July 17 since this historic building burned to the ground, I have still heard nothing else from the D.A.'s office or anyone else. I've been directed to the Crime Victim's Unit and see that in the case of juveniles, a victim gets a mere $1500 restitution from the ?county. The rest would be a private suit but I can't even find out the parents names of these rotten kids, let alone the result of the June 25 Court Appearance.
Poddle

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2007

Judged:

This is what's wrong with kids today....the parents sheild them, instead of making them pay for the mistakes and crimes they commit.

There was a girl a few years back in Boonville that stole money out of an adults purse at school. Her mom, who works for the district, rushed in paid the money back and nothing happened to the girl.

We are teaching our children that crime pays
Parent

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2007

I totally agree, Poddle. I also know of that incident and know it to be a fact! What a shame. But then again, this is also the town that thought it was okay for a teacher to steal thousands of dollars from the students' hard-working fundraisers for many years. Guess what-a slap on the wrist is all she got. What lesson does that teach the kids? And when she's in town, she still runs around the town thinking she's better than everyone else. She has no shame whatsoever! She should have been prosecuted to the fullest! Oh, I could start an entire thread about that one! My child was a victim of hers years ago and we are still very bitter!(As you can see!)
Miles

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2007

Judged:

I keep looking here and at the Utica paper, among other places and can find no more information about this arson, what happened in Oneida County Court June 25, or anything else. Again, except for one email, the D.A.
s office and the Town of Remsen completely ignore the victim, verging on just plain rude. I did discover in the Rome paper archives a possible relative (from Remsen) of one of the juveniles who set fire to the place (see Remsen News #6 and #8 upper right of this page) had a car accident/injury from "unsafe speed" and was also involved as a passenger in another accident where the driver was charged with DWI, among other things. Another man with the same name was stopped for speeding in 2006. Sounds as if this family is beset with enough problems of their own without foisting them on innocent people. This large 2-1/2 story building was filled with thousands of dollars worth of antique furniture, now a pile of ashes in the cellar hole. If anyone can find anything on this crime, I'd appreciate knowing. The names are Michael J. Delany II and Jacob J. Pavelich, both 16, both from Remsen. The third is a minor so is unpublished. I still need to find out who the parents are.
Merna

Schenectady, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2007

Parent wrote:
I totally agree, Poddle. I also know of that incident and know it to be a fact! What a shame. But then again, this is also the town that thought it was okay for a teacher to steal thousands of dollars from the students' hard-working fundraisers for many years. Guess what-a slap on the wrist is all she got. What lesson does that teach the kids? And when she's in town, she still runs around the town thinking she's better than everyone else. She has no shame whatsoever! She should have been prosecuted to the fullest! Oh, I could start an entire thread about that one! My child was a victim of hers years ago and we are still very bitter!(As you can see!)
Just say it, Beth Pellegrino, my daughter was one of the kids she stole from and the parents had to pay out $100.00 per kid so they could still go on their NYC Trip. She's a loser.
bbdy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

interesting
WildKitty

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 11, 2007

Yes and that teacher is now an administrator in another district. The way that all went down was so wrong. It helps that she was dating Joe Kelly at the time, I think that he must have called in a few favors for her.
TIME

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 12, 2007

Miles wrote:
I keep looking here and at the Utica paper, among other places and can find no more information about this arson, what happened in Oneida County Court June 25, or anything else. Again, except for one email, the D.A.
s office and the Town of Remsen completely ignore the victim, verging on just plain rude. I did discover in the Rome paper archives a possible relative (from Remsen) of one of the juveniles who set fire to the place (see Remsen News #6 and #8 upper right of this page) had a car accident/injury from "unsafe speed" and was also involved as a passenger in another accident where the driver was charged with DWI, among other things. Another man with the same name was stopped for speeding in 2006. Sounds as if this family is beset with enough problems of their own without foisting them on innocent people. This large 2-1/2 story building was filled with thousands of dollars worth of antique furniture, now a pile of ashes in the cellar hole. If anyone can find anything on this crime, I'd appreciate knowing. The names are Michael J. Delany II and Jacob J. Pavelich, both 16, both from Remsen. The third is a minor so is unpublished. I still need to find out who the parents are.
THEY WILL GET A HOLD OF YOU GET GET THE MESS CLEANED UP AND IF U DON,T THEY WILL DO IT FOR YOU AND IT WILL COUST YOU BIG $$$$$$$$$$ WONT LET YOU KNOW WHO THE KIDS ARE BUT THEY KNOW YOU GOOD OLD TOWN
Miles

Cherry Valley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

Judged:

One of the arsonists was sentenced yesterday, I haven't found the info yet, it was a proposed 1-1/2 to 3 years. To TIME, who is "they will do it for you"? The clean up is part of the restitution that I submitted to the D.A.'s office. I was charged the full amount of the taxes, too, it was originally $529.96. By the time I got anyone to answer me as to why I should be charged for a building that no longer existed, with interest and penalties, the taxes were $829.23. There is something wrong with the system. I was told by Oneida County Finance Dept. that the year is based on the property as of March. There surely should be exceptions, the County is taking money they're not entitled to in my opinion. Bad enough to lose all that without adding insult to bad injury.

Since: Jan 08

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2008

Judged:

Lose all that?? An old building that a non-resident owned and did not take care of?? Now whats left is a eyesore for the village. You should have had it cleaned up as soon as the investigation was over. But apparantly is was easier to procrastinate.
Cynthia

West Chester, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2008

From what I understand, this historic building was a party place for kids for many years. Perhaps the owner of the building should be charged for not securing the building and for creating a dangerous place for kids. Hmmm...Looks like you were not being to responsible either were you...
blat ass

Watertown, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2008

Judged:

Miles wrote:
One of the arsonists was sentenced yesterday, I haven't found the info yet, it was a proposed 1-1/2 to 3 years. To TIME, who is "they will do it for you"? The clean up is part of the restitution that I submitted to the D.A.'s office. I was charged the full amount of the taxes, too, it was originally $529.96. By the time I got anyone to answer me as to why I should be charged for a building that no longer existed, with interest and penalties, the taxes were $829.23. There is something wrong with the system. I was told by Oneida County Finance Dept. that the year is based on the property as of March. There surely should be exceptions, the County is taking money they're not entitled to in my opinion. Bad enough to lose all that without adding insult to bad injury.
get over it get out there and clean that mess up and go back home whinner
hmm

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2008

dear non resident owner:

clean it up, or sell it!!!!!!

Your whining gets nothing done, and it's a dangerous eyesore now.
another

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

if you have a building full of antiques do you 1. have insurance 2. don't have insurance. The answer is obvious, you should of been insured. Have you tried the Remsen courts for the parents? Both of these kids parents live in Remsen. Pavelich's parents are separated but the mom owns the natural store in Barneveld. and its Bret Pavelich that continues to get into accident, he was in an accident 3 years ago and they were going to pull the plug, some how he survived, let hope he doesn't kill anybody because nothing has been done.
remsen resident

New Hartford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2008

the third kid's last name was Ching from Lincoln Ave. All of there parents need to answer to this
Jim from Maine

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Judged:

WOW... Glad I don't live in New York.. Sounds like there are some pretty stupid people there, including the judge... I was taught if it didn't belong to you, DON'T TOUCH IT. IF you break/damage something, you pay to have it fixed. These people telling the owner to clean it up, seem to have no problem with the fact the kids burned it down. I was at the building the year before it burned. It was still a very solid old building, FULL of antiques. Seems like blind justice that the judge couldn't LOOK into the cellar hole and see the remains of some of it. It was easier to say that there was no way to prove what was in the building when it burned.
Jim from Maine

Monomoy Island, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2008

Judged:

AND to the person who says it should have been insured, that isn't always so easy either. My house and property was vandalized to the tune of almost 10k. I reported it to the insurance company, they worked it so they only had to pay me $1,500.00 AND THEN CANCELED ME BECAUSE I WAS A RISK, BECAUSE I HAD A CLAIM! By the way, it was the FIRST claim I had EVER had with them, and had used them for 12 years. When I went to find a new company, I had been black listed because I had had a claim, and had been canceled. My insurance NOW costs almost 2k a year, for almost no coverage...
hmm

Ithaca, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2008

Judged:

Jim from Maine:
If you can't afford to insure a building or secure it from theft/vandalism, maybe you shouldn't own it.

I was taught that if you can't afford to take care of something, maybe you are living outside your means. It is not Remsen's responsibility to look after private property.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of113
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••