Met 011311 Anti-Smoking Ban supporters.jpg

Jan 13, 2011 Full story: Tribune-Star 101

Terre Haute officials should act today on passing a smoke-free clean air ordinance as it will protect workers and benefit businesses, said Carrie Evans, director of the Vigo County Tobacco Coalition.

Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Chuck Norris

Terre Haute, IN

#1 Jan 13, 2011
Tonight will show us all just how much our local City Councilmen actually care and WHO they actually represent, THEMSELVES and their political carrer or US, the community as a whole! What political official in their right mind would vote against a smoking ban anyway! What do they think, smoking cigarettes is like taking vitamins?! So would they suggest passing out smokes at schools?! C'mon Councilmen, do the right thing and vote YES for the ban!
Steve Segal

Punxsutawney, PA

#2 Jan 13, 2011
Yes, then after you restrict our rights on that, let's go after fat people. They get sick more than skinny people and that puts a burden on our health care system so we need to control that. Wait, there are certain races of people that have higher rates of heart problems that comes with being born to that race, maybe we should eliminate that also. Thanks for voting down more of our rights and I'm looking forward to you telling me what I can or can't do next. I realize not everyone likes smoking, rightfully so, but being a free country I assumed the person owning the establishment could decide if they want smoking there or not. What was I thinking! It would seem if we made a law requiring a private establishment to conspiciously post if that establishment is smoking or non-smoking, we could make our own choice whether to go in it or not. Up until now, people were smart enough to make that decision on their own.
thatguy

Terre Haute, IN

#3 Jan 14, 2011
The free market is in place to decide what's good for business. You mom is in place to tell you not to smoke or not to be around smokers. If we needed more nanny laws we could have just moved to Illinois.
just candid

AOL

#4 Jan 14, 2011
One fact is very clear. Almost all Drunks, Degenerates and Riffraff are people who smoke.
thatguy

Terre Haute, IN

#5 Jan 14, 2011
Obama smokes
sean

Punxsutawney, PA

#6 Jan 14, 2011
that's what he meant by "Riffraff"

Since: Dec 10

Terre Haute, IN

#7 Jan 14, 2011
More unconstitutional administrative codes and statutes. Every business should revolt. Ignore the ban. Allow it anyway.

Are you people really going to allow this? The councilmen are not representing your rights. They should all be fired as soon as possible. Funny how they do things like this so that, hopefully you'll forget about it by the time of the next election. Then, they'll do something else totally unconstitutional....and you'll swallow that too.

Sorry, but when WILL you stand up for your rights?

Admittedly, I'm a non-smoker and I don't appreciate rude smokers poluting my inside air, however, my attendance is not mandatory and I can refuse to come back.

Funny how they are exempting private clubs. HA! I wonder who got paid for that and how much?

What you are seeing is the flip side of the cop corruption problem. Stand up or you're done. They want you to not smoke. Its none of their damned bizness!
an employee

League City, TX

#8 Jan 15, 2011
Last I looked we lived in good ol US of A. We are in a democracy that allows for free elections and the one with the majority of electoral votes wins.. Well the council voted unanimously to ban smoking in public places. And now you patriotic morons want to rebel because you didn't get your way. Suck it up. I've had to go to bars for a beer and breathe your smoke for the past 20 years, but I went and patronized friends in the business, while telling them there would come a day when smoking would not be allowed. It's coming soon, so shut your mouth, suck it up and breathe that beautiful clean, fresh air./.
sean

Punxsutawney, PA

#9 Jan 16, 2011
an employee wrote:
Last I looked we lived in good ol US of A. We are in a democracy that allows for free elections and the one with the majority of electoral votes wins.. Well the council voted unanimously to ban smoking in public places. And now you patriotic morons want to rebel because you didn't get your way. Suck it up. I've had to go to bars for a beer and breathe your smoke for the past 20 years, but I went and patronized friends in the business, while telling them there would come a day when smoking would not be allowed. It's coming soon, so shut your mouth, suck it up and breathe that beautiful clean, fresh air./.


You must be a liberal, because the first thing you do is call people names when there's no reason to. Why can't you state an opinion without name calling. First, I'd like to point out that if you think being patriotic is being a moron, that's the first indication you are a liberal. So if being patriotic makes me a moron,the opposite must be true of you, an un-patrotic liberal. This fact alone makes the rest of you post predictable. You simply need government to make your decision for you. You say you have had to go to bars for 20 years and breathe smoke. Why? I just don't go to bars that they smoke in. I don't need the government to explain that to me. I guess being a patriotic moron isn't so bad, I can figure out not to go into a place I don't like. I will choose that over being an un-patriotic liberal anyday. It amazes me how helpless liberals can be.

Since: Dec 10

Clearfield, PA

#10 Jan 16, 2011
an employee wrote:
Last I looked we lived in good ol US of A. We are in a democracy that allows for free elections and the one with the majority of electoral votes wins.. Well the council voted unanimously to ban smoking in public places. And now you patriotic morons want to rebel because you didn't get your way. Suck it up. I've had to go to bars for a beer and breathe your smoke for the past 20 years, but I went and patronized friends in the business, while telling them there would come a day when smoking would not be allowed. It's coming soon, so shut your mouth, suck it up and breathe that beautiful clean, fresh air./.
Obviously another ignorant American that doesn't understand the function of government. It is supposed to secure our rights, not take them away. What you talk about is tyranny of the majority or democracy. Nobody seems to understand this as we slide closer and closer to a police state. Is this what you want?

I'm a non-smoker and smoking disgusts me, but, this ban on smoking is really not about the rights of the smokers. Its the rights of the owners of the establishments that bother me. If I own a bar, its none of the city's bizness if I allow smoking or not.

I say we revolt. I say we tell people to smoke....then tie it all up in court. Of course, the first thing they'll do is pull your liquor license. Nice. More tyranny.

Well, I suppose you get what you vote or pay for. Doesn't matter. I'll set up a bar just outside the city limits. If they make the county non-smoking, I'll move just over the line to Park or Sullivan. If they make a state-wide ban, I'll do it prohibition style. When did they figure out they can tell me what I can and what I cannot allow on my very own private property?

...or, I'll just rename the bar and call it a private club with instant membership that costs $1.

People will flock to my bar instead of the other sheople bars.

At some point the pain will start. I won't encourage it openly but silently I'll cheer. Eventually these people that are stealing our rights will pay. Its coming but just not quite yet.
notion

League City, TX

#11 Jan 16, 2011
sean and teo, a business doesn't OWN anything but his inventory. Teo your RIGHT is to move when you do not want to live in harmony with your fellow man. So, go to Sullivan opportunity abounds. sean nothing says patriotism more than manners. SNUFF IT.
Nope

Olney, IL

#12 Jan 16, 2011
just candid wrote:
One fact is very clear. Almost all Drunks, Degenerates and Riffraff are people who smoke.
Not true most of the judges and police officers and other degenerates are drunks but don't smoke cigarettes. As much as I don't personally like smoking, I don't support this nazi-style ban. I would support a ban on fat people, SUVs, McDonalds and Wal-Mart's though... oh wait.. that's.. most people in Terre Haute.
truamerican

League City, TX

#13 Jan 16, 2011
Problem with your logic is fat people, suv's mcdonalds and wal mart doesn't hurt me if I stand next to them. Your smoking does. Clean air is comin.
sean

Punxsutawney, PA

#14 Jan 16, 2011
truamerican wrote:
Problem with your logic is fat people, suv's mcdonalds and wal mart doesn't hurt me if I stand next to them. Your smoking does. Clean air is comin.
Then don't stand next to them. If I own a bar, I should have the right to allow or not allow smoking. Then you should have the right to choose to come in or not come in. I assume your smart enough to not hang out in a place where they smoke. I am. I don't need big brother to tell me that. Thats why I don't go into the smoke shops that sell tobacco and cigars. Likewise, I don't go to a bar that is smoke filled. This ban does nothing about smoking in public, just in the workplace. I can legally follow up and down the sidewalk and blow smoke on you, it's legal. Granted, it would be stupid to do, but legal. Actually, overweight fat people causes a large burden on the health care system, which trickles down to affecting us with higher costs. My point is the more control we lose, the more govt. takes. After the smoking nazi's get their way, here come the fat police, food police, etc.
truamerican

League City, TX

#15 Jan 16, 2011
Problem with your logic is you seem to think if you own a bar you can do as you please within that bar..... No you can't. I go to a bar for a beer.. not a smoke. If I am having my beer and you walk in then I must smoke like it or not. I have as much right to drink my beer in a bar as you do. Now we will be able to differentiate if we go into a bar we'll know people are there to drink, not smoke.
i love you

Olney, IL

#16 Jan 16, 2011
truamerican wrote:
Problem with your logic is you seem to think if you own a bar you can do as you please within that bar..... No you can't. I go to a bar for a beer.. not a smoke. If I am having my beer and you walk in then I must smoke like it or not. I have as much right to drink my beer in a bar as you do. Now we will be able to differentiate if we go into a bar we'll know people are there to drink, not smoke.
I agree with you as I am a fellow non smoker who loves fascism as well.
Yes sir, there's no feeling quite like forcing business owners out of business in favor of special interests.

"trueamerican" ??? with a small "t" could you have picked a more Orwellian name? More like truenazi Sieg Heil Terre Haute. I guess you picked that name just to mock ACTUAL true Americans who DO believe in freedom and liberty (unlike yourself)
You don't seem to understand nor respect the freedoms of others. A few people on here said that everyone will still smoke at the Dew Drop Inn and I believe that they will. Maybe you should go in there with you mocking attitude and tell them that they can't smoke. Quit hiding behind the computer and mouthing off. In the other hand it is still somewhat of a free country so feel free to start a we hate smokers bar. Smoke never really bothered me when I used to go out to the bars but this really isn't a smoking issue it's about an inept set of local politicians and police who can't solve any real crimes so they have to attack bar owners in order to generate some revenue, a power-control fetish.. I wonder what people like you and them masturbate to?
The bans insane

United States

#17 Jan 16, 2011
Well as much even though I do not smoke freedom mean freedom of choice of personal bad habits. Even if I don't do them. To ban smoking from the bars is an insane idea yet some people are really getting off on this. They are petty little nobodys. Anyway I photoshopped a new logo for Terre Haute I'm sure that the people for the ban will love it and probably salute. By losers

http://i.imgur.com/Wu9tT.png
truamerican

League City, TX

#18 Jan 17, 2011
hell o there i with a small i. Doubt it's the only thing about you that's small. I was refering to brains not another apendage. If indeed you think the stabin and the dew are representative of the will of the people of Terre Haute, you've got a swastika up your ass. The constitution of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, allows for change in government or it's laws by referendum. The city council VOTED unanimously for a smoking ordinance to be implimented within the next 18 months. If you and your dews or stabbers think for an instant your gonna change that with violence, your the lowest form of rif raf imaginable. And that's with a small rif and a small raf.
We laughed at you

Olney, IL

#19 Jan 17, 2011
Speaking of the Dew Drop, I just had me a beer and a SMOKE and there's nothing that you nazi's in denial can do about it. HAHAHA!
Fredom Rules you nazi's! Eat me!
Paula

United States

#20 Jan 17, 2011
Hey the Dew Drop isn't the only bar that they are still smoking in. I think that this ban was setup only to target specific bar owners. I brought it up at the bar that I went in and they all just laughed. Even the other fellow non-smokers laughed. If I was a smoker then I would smoke anyway in the bar. I mean what can they really do except cry about it? That and there are a few bars that the cops are scared of and won't go in. I never cared for ciggs myself but freedom means freedom. Watch next they will probably try to ban booze in the bars (unless the bar is owned by a cop)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Monroe County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man Accused Of Fondling Himself In Front Of Min... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Anonymous 1
monroe county police department (Nov '12) Nov '12 concern citzen 1
Indiana Senate candidate Mark Stoops chat: I-69... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Johnny F Baker 1
No parole home means delay in murderer's prison... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Hoosier 1
Suspect in Goethe slaying in custody (Aug '12) Aug '12 Baby mama 1
Murdered Bloomington Man Identified (Jul '12) Jul '12 A-Dub 1
Bloomington elementary school principal on leav... (Feb '12) Feb '12 robert 1

Monroe County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE