Wisconsin governor seizes chance to take on unions

Feb 20, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Salon.com

It took Scott Walker only a few weeks to push the Capitol into political chaos. The newly elected Republican governor of Wisconsin has set his sights on forcing public workers to pay more for benefits as he looks to balance the state's budget -- savings he needs to help cover the cost of tax cuts he demanded the day he took office.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Destroying unions aren't the only thing on GOP Governor Walker's Agenda. As scrutiny of the Governor Walker's Bill increases, more nefarious changes for Wisconsinites are revealed:

The parts everyone is focusing on have to do with the right to collectively bargain being stripped from public sector unions (except for the unions that supported Walker running for Governor -of course!!!). Focusing on this misses a large part of what the bill would do. Check out this language, from the same bill:

16.896 Sale or contractual operation of state−owned heating, cooling, and power plants.(1) Notwithstanding ss. 13.48 (14)(am) and 16.705 (1), the department may sell any state−owned heating, cooling, and power plant or may contract with a private entity for the operation of any such plant, with or without solicitation of bids, for any amount that the department determines to be in the best interest of the state. Notwithstanding ss. 196.49 and 196.80, no approval or certification of the public service commission is necessary for a public utility to purchase, or contract for the operation of, such a plant, and any such purchase is considered to be in the public interest and to comply with the criteria for certification of a project under s. 196.49 (3)(b).

It’s like a highlight reel of neo-Gilded Age corporatism: privatization, no-bid contracts, deregulation, and naked cronyism. Extra bonus points for the explicit effort to legally redefine the term “public interest” as “whatever the energy industry lobbyists we appoint to these unelected bureaucratic positions say it is.”

In case it isn’t clear where the naked cronyism comes in, remember which large, politically active private interest loves buying up power plants and already has considerable interests in Wisconsin. Then consider their demonstrated eagerness to help Mr. Walker get elected and bus in carpetbaggers from the Tea Party to have a sad little pro-Mubarak style “rally” in Walker's honor. There are dots to be connected here, but doing so might not be in the public interest.

Hmmm... Koch Industries tie-ins to this labor busting Bill??? You Betcha!
McCarthy was right

Middlefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Even FDR, the hero to the left, knew that public employee unions is a stupid, stupid idea.

He wrote to Luther C. Steward, President, National Federation of Federal Employees:

"All Government employees should realize that the process of collective bargaining, as usually understood, cannot be transplanted into the public service. It has its distinct and insurmountable limitations when applied to public personnel management. The very nature and purposes of Government make it impossible for administrative officials to represent fully or to bind the employer in mutual discussions with Government employee organizations.”

“Particularly, I want to emphasize my conviction that militant tactics have no place in the functions of any organization of Government employees. Upon employees in the Federal service rests the obligation to serve the whole people, whose interests and welfare require orderliness and continuity in the conduct of Government activities. This obligation is paramount. Since their own services have to do with the functioning of the Government, a strike of public employees manifests nothing less than an intent on their part to prevent or obstruct the operations of Government until their demands are satisfied. Such action, looking toward the paralysis of Government by those who have sworn to support it, is unthinkable and intolerable."
Liberal Patriot

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

FDR knew the dangers of the corporations as epitomized in a speech at Madison Square Garden

"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace-business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, war profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob. Never before in history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hatred for me - and I welcome their hatred. I should like to have it said of my first administration that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second administration that in it these forces met their master.

- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Speech at Madison Square Garden”

The threat of organized money has returned, and the unions may be our last defense against their financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, and war profiteering.

If Wisonsin falls, so does the nation!
McCarthy was right

Middlefield, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 21, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Liberal Patriot wrote:
FDR knew the dangers of the corporations as epitomized in a speech at Madison Square Garden
"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace-business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, war profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob. Never before in history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hatred for me - and I welcome their hatred. I should like to have it said of my first administration that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second administration that in it these forces met their master.
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Speech at Madison Square Garden”
The threat of organized money has returned, and the unions may be our last defense against their financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, and war profiteering.
If Wisonsin falls, so does the nation!
Nice try, but pointless. We're talking about public employees, not private...and the fact that they should not have collective bargaining rights, something even leftist FDR understood.

Public employees "negotiating" with other public employees can only lead to political patronage IN EVERY CASE, and result in the kind of treasury draining sweetheart deals like we're seeing in state after state.
LOL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 22, 2011
 
proposed order of operation....

union government workers

government

the rest of the people
serfs up

Clermont, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 22, 2011
 
Liberal Patriot wrote:
FDR knew the dangers of the corporations as epitomized in a speech at Madison Square Garden
"We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace-business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, war profiteering. They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob. Never before in history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hatred for me - and I welcome their hatred. I should like to have it said of my first administration that in it the forces of selfishness and of lust for power met their match. I should like to have it said of my second administration that in it these forces met their master.
- President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Speech at Madison Square Garden”
The threat of organized money has returned, and the unions may be our last defense against their financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionism, and war profiteering.
If Wisonsin falls, so does the nation!
FDR was one of them!
rider

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 22, 2011
 
rider

Gwinn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

McCarthy was right wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice try, but pointless. We're talking about public employees, not private...and the fact that they should not have collective bargaining rights, something even leftist FDR understood.
Public employees "negotiating" with other public employees can only lead to political patronage IN EVERY CASE, and result in the kind of treasury draining sweetheart deals like we're seeing in state after state.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
McCarthy was right

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

rider wrote:
Sorry. I don't chase blind links...ever.
Robbie

Edenton, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 22, 2011
 
If you can't write your own opinions stay off of an opinion board---too lazy to write??
McCarthy was right

Newington, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 22, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Robbie wrote:
If you can't write your own opinions stay off of an opinion board---too lazy to write??
That's why I don't chase blind links...ever.
Lazy posters who want the links to make their arguments FOR them are boring and a waste of time.
:^)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 11 of11
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••