Unions face furlough ultimatum - Hawaii News

Full story: Honolulu Star-Bulletin

The Lingle administration is giving public employee unions until Friday to accept furloughs of up to 37.5 days a year or face unilateral action by the state, according to state union leaders.
Comments
1 - 20 of 27 Comments Last updated Oct 19, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
CommonSense

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 29, 2009
 
I would say all the private sector companies have been forced to take some type of reduction in the labor force in the form of lay offs, benefits, reduced hours; this goes along with loss business.(A fact of current life!)I think the state and counties need a good dose of "common sense" and adjust according to the times and not worry about getting re-elcted in the future or count on Unions for support. Do the right thing now, for the right reasons!
Bill

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 29, 2009
 
Don't threaten the unions and employees - how "mainland style" is that. Just reduce the budget, and leave the "nitty gritty" to the department. This shared-sacrifice stuff doesn't make sense; it sounds logical, but all it does is hang-on to the status quo by keeping the "bad" with the "good."
Bambie

Wahiawa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

2

Drastic measures need to be taken. The Unions should be wise and take the deal for all its members that are low in seniority. Its the smart thing to do.

Raising taxes is not the way to go to generate lost revenue and more government spending.

Lingle is doing what is good for the entire State. At least she is thinking out of the box instead of crumbling to the Unions.
Cut TheFat

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

6

3

3

Bill wrote:
Don't threaten the unions and employees - how "mainland style" is that. Just reduce the budget, and leave the "nitty gritty" to the department. This shared-sacrifice stuff doesn't make sense; it sounds logical, but all it does is hang-on to the status quo by keeping the "bad" with the "good."
Get rid of the bloated incompetent Unions representing 49,000 members, whose job function is but only one category. Most private employees are multi-tasked on several levels, but no these Union workers do ONLY one task and refuse to do "another's" function, because it "threatens" job security for that lazy slacker.

Union's main purpose is to inflate the employee ranks as much as possible so they can collect more dues to line their pockets with greed, ask any employee what they think about Union representation? Most will say they are good-for-nothing a bunch of parasites taking hundreds and even thousands of dollars out of their annual take home pay.
goingonvacation

Ashburn, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

2

2

1

to vegas - 4 days at the wynn and 4 at the encore.
plenty of cash abd looking to have a good time.
NOT A DIME FOR HAWAII..
way over taxed and bad food. plus racist cops.
find some one else to fund your homeless shelters.
the run down over priced dump of a state.
cambodia of the pacfic...
what don't you tax over there?
macuu222

Pahoa, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

3

3

2

The budget shortfall should be shared among all residents and visitors of this state...not just state and county employees.

The only fair way to do that is to increase the sales tax to 7% from our current 4%. That by itself should take care of the defecit.
alice

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

6

6

6

Hawaii state government is way to big and inefficient for the small population
o wow laulau

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

5

4

WOW....the legislators are sure "sharing the pain"...THEY HAVE THE AUDACITY TO TAKE A 36% PAY RAISE AND GIVE BACK 5%(NET RAISE OF 31%) AND NOW WANT TO HAVE GOVERNMENT WORKERS FURLOUGHED???? ELECTION TIME DO NOT FORGET THESE CROOKS ...VOTE UM OUT!!!
concerned hawaii resident

Pearl City, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

3

hope someone is thinking with their brains...

less money for state workers who already make a low salary (compared to private sector)...

means less money to spend in hawaii...

government employees will have less money & choices will be made between buying food & medicine instead of an occasional night out dining or seeing a movie...

local business will also suffer because they will lose the loyal government customers they have been count on...
mush

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 29, 2009
 
Those calling for the union's demise are entrpreneurs who stand to gain by not having union imposed overhead. Privitization?
localgirl

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

2

I'd rather have furlough days, than no job!
madeitthrutherai n

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 29, 2009
 
concerned hawaii resident wrote:
hope someone is thinking with their brains...
less money for state workers who already make a low salary (compared to private sector)...
means less money to spend in hawaii...
government employees will have less money & choices will be made between buying food & medicine instead of an occasional night out dining or seeing a movie...
local business will also suffer because they will lose the loyal government customers they have been count on...
Not to mention the reduction in services to the public: no one there to answer the phone when you need help.
mush

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

To work a furlough into your work schedule gives you an extra 1/2 hour for lunch and a later departure time or a half hour early departure throughout the year.
mush

Kealakekua, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

It only postpones your retirement date

“No Free Speech Zones ”

Since: Jun 08

South Kona, brah

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Government employees are among the few in Hawaii that get pay close to a living wage.
The indictment should be on the private sector for such poor wages.
The burden of a balanced budget should not fall dis-proportionally upon government workers. A hiring freeze would do just as much with much less resentment by government workers.
All citizens should bare this burden...how about making Kamehameha Schools pay the fair business property tax rates on the leaseholds they control...we'd probably have a surplus in no time...OH NOES!...the sacred cow is mentioned.
Ralph Honolulu

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

2

Some State workers are supporting their family members who were laid off from work, Due to the bad ecomeny.
Why don't they raise the Alchol Tax the way they did the cigarette tax it might help in reducing DUI and Domesic Violance cases.
Ralph Honolulu

Lihue, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 29, 2009
 
Some State workers are trying to help support sons and daughters with kids who were layed off from work due to the economy of the State.
Why doent the Governor raise the ALCOHOL TAX like she did the tabacco tax. It might cut down on the amount of DUI and DOMESTIC VIOLENCE cases.
You Go Lingle

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 29, 2009
 
Cut the living ____ out of the smug, arrogant unions and their bosses who ride roughshod over their compliant members and their "in the pocket" politicians who have catered to these union types.

Eh, everybody gotta kokua.

What about the private sector employees? They making sacrifices already with the economic downturn.

If the unions no like kokua, then, go, Governor Lingle, do what it takes.

I back you up on this one.
You Go Lingle

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

Ralph Honolulu wrote:
Some State workers are supporting their family members who were laid off from work, Due to the bad ecomeny.
Why don't they raise the Alchol Tax the way they did the cigarette tax it might help in reducing DUI and Domesic Violance cases.
Eh, you know, that is one helluva GREAT idea!!!

Eh Legislators: Tax the ____ out of the booze and the boozees or bozos (up to you what you like call the dui enabled).
You Go Lingle

Honolulu, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 29, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

satyagraha wrote:
Government employees are among the few in Hawaii that get pay close to a living wage.
The indictment should be on the private sector for such poor wages.
The burden of a balanced budget should not fall dis-proportionally upon government workers. A hiring freeze would do just as much with much less resentment by government workers.
All citizens should bare this burden...how about making Kamehameha Schools pay the fair business property tax rates on the leaseholds they control...we'd probably have a surplus in no time...OH NOES!...the sacred cow is mentioned.
That's right: TAX KAM SCHOOL TOO. THE S.O.B.s not helping the truly needy native hawaiians anyway.

Their bogus tax exempt status has allowed them to accumulate that obscene amount of wealth, not including their subsidiaries and tentacles.

Now's the time, the time is now to tax kam school.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Honolulu County Discussions

Search the Honolulu County Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are the streets and beaches full of mainlan... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Gypsy_ 3
More Hawaii residents identify as mixed race (Mar '11) Mar '11 Anti Wahiawa 4
Plastic Bag Ban Stalls in Honolulu Council (Nov '10) Nov '10 yoda 15
Four mayoral candidates support campaign sign r... (Aug '10) Sep '10 jump yur bones 17
Lingle proposes suspending hotel tax payments t... (Dec '09) Dec '09 alice 1
Isle jobless rate drops - Hawaii Business (Dec '09) Dec '09 Okole Maluna 11
State's jobless rate hits 4.5% - Business (Oct '08) Oct '09 reedk 10
•••
•••