Warrant: More charges possible for former Kanabec County sheriff

More charges could be filed against the former sheriff of Kanabec County. Last year, Von Thompson was charged with four felonies for allegedly swindling a 90-year-old man out of nearly $180,000. Now, it appears there could be more victims according to a search warrant filed this week in Hennepin County. Full Story
bambi

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jun 2, 2009
What ever came of the first charges?
Tabby

Rapid City, SD

#2 Jun 28, 2009
Wow....does this not surprise anyone!! Kanabec County Sheriff Department lacks accountability, integrity, respect, and professionalism. This is expected behavior from a shitty, small town that makes up the laws and abuses their badge. They only get away with this behavior because there is so much corruption and cover ups to protect so many people that it's almost impossible to get the truth out at all. I find it hard to believe that the punishment of this wonderful public servant to be harsh and extreme. With all the corruption going on between Mille Lacs County and Kanabec County Sheriff, Police, and Court System there will be no accountability enforced and all three entities will continue to do lie for one another and abuse their authority because they can. Personally, someone with balls, integrity, structured morals and ethics needs to come in and bust all of their balls and take their badges away from the officers, deputies, and any court personnel need to be relieved as well. You do not run a sheriff department or a justice system the way these animals are currently. But it also says alot about the citizens who continue to support these parties and sit back and let them continue to engage in misconduct. This whole freak mess needs to be cleaned up which means hiring new personnel, having standards, ethics, accountability, and establishing checks and balances that are continuous, not only for officers and court personnel, but for those hire up in key leadership positions. Everyone needs to be accountable and have ethics, professionalism, integrity why support those with legal authority who abuse their position in our legal society? Why is this behavior acceptable? I can tell you....because people lack ethics and morals, not just in the professional career setting, but personnally as well. So I wonder how much longer this bullshit will continue to downspiral and get worse before someone with legal authority comes in and does something about it? And...no it won't be some inbread, small town everyone is related person it will be someone from a large county such as Hennepin and Ramsey who has balls and caries hatred towards public authority personnel that feel it is acceptable and appropriate to abuse their legal power and authority. So I wonder how many people are behind this corruption case? Let's see if Kanabec County Sheriff Department can catch up with Mille Lacs County who fell into the spotlight of a DUI case about a year or two ago,,,,,doesn't that make you proud of our legal system??
pat

Duluth, MN

#3 Nov 16, 2009
how long will it be before something is done about sheriff thompson or will this get swept under the carpet??????????
pat

Duluth, MN

#4 Nov 16, 2009
when will something be done about the former sheriff thompson or will it all get swept under the carpet like every thing else?
ann nonomus

Wesley Chapel, FL

#5 Feb 12, 2010
This does not surprise me. I have lived in Kanabec over 30 some years. I have seen lawyers that have caught officers of the law committing perjury on the stand and the judges won't do anything. I was told by a lawyer about illegal photo lineup to id assailant (which was totally off the mark considering the accused and the actual criminals had extreme differences in their physical size and appearance)The articles in our Kanabec Times is totally unreliable when they get their information from our beloved police department. Peoples lives are being ruined with this corruption. They will print that someone was positively identified and when proven innocent there will be no retraction.
sniper24

United States

#6 May 2, 2010
Tabby,
I Agree With You!
Kanabec County Has To Be The Most Corrupt County In The Entire USA!
Personally, I Have a BIG Problem With The Entire System Here,
From Chief Judge " Honorable " Timothy R. Bloomquist Who Is NOT
Honorable At All, He Plays GOD - Screws With Anyone that does Not
Hire a Lawyer, Punished those that he dislikes and makes up the law as he
sees fit, He is Pathetic.....
Then We have our Wonderful County District Attorney - Amy Brosnahan
Who Is a Complete SNOB and a Joke!
My Wife Was RAPED By one of the Kanabec County " Good 'Ol Boys "
And She Never Even Gave the BCA The DNA Evidence.
Then We Have The Almighty Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz,
Whom When My Wife Was Raped Sent 2 of His Goons Over to accused Rapist Home,
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz 2 Goons Asked This Bastard If He Raped My Wife,
He Said " No " - OK! Good Enough For Us! Have a Good Night Mr. Rapist.
The Damn Fools Couldn't Investigate Who Makes the Coffee at the Sheriffs Office.
Needless To Say, I Am NOT a Passive Person, I Went into the Sheriffs Office and Spoke Directly
With Sheriff Steve Schulz, I was Not Pleased with His Attitude and his I Don't give a crap Attitude,
We Exchanged a Few Unpleasant Words Then He Told Me " I Don't Work for You - You Can't Make Me Do Shit "
YES! That Was The Exact Quote Sheriff Steve Schulz Said To Me.
I Than Asked Him Who The Hell Do YOU Work For?
He Told Me I Had 5 Seconds To The F*ck Out Of HIS Office Or I Will Be Arrested!
Now I Used To Live Close To Larry and Lois Steenerson, Steve Schulz KNEW Full
Well Larry and Lois Steenerson Had Received Death Threats, Threatening Phone Calls and Letters,
Steve Schulz NEVER Once Got Off His Ass and do anything to Prevent Larry and Lois Steenerson
From Being Murdered. Ever Since Then, Word Among Those That Knew the Steenersons Was
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz " Loves To Pour Gas On The Fire " - So After
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Threatened to Lock Me Up if I Didn't Get Out of His Office
I Tested This, I Left His Office Went To The Front Desk And Told Them I Wanted a Permit To Purchase a Handgun,
Less Than 10 Days Later I Received My Permit To Purchase a Handgun, Signed By No Other Than Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Himself.
Now, Given The Fact I Am MAD DOG PISSED At The Bastard That Raped My Wife, And The Entire Kanabec County Sheriffs Office,
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Never Asked Me Anything, Never Tried To Tell Me " I'll Give You a Permit Once You Settle Down " or Hom Many
Guns I Think I Need, Nothing - I Believe He Was Hoping I Would Use It On The Bastard That Raped My Wife.

99.9% of the People that Live Here In Kanabec County Are SCARED.
They Have To Stand Up For Themselves, It's Pathetic I Contacted Channel 9 About All The Corruption
In Kanabec County, I Was Asked To Round Up As Many People as I Could To Go On Camera And Tell Their Stories,
Out of 24 People That Bitch About How Corrupt The System is in Kanabec County,
I Was The Only 1 That Would Go On Camera And Tell My Multiple Stories Of Kanabec County Corruption, Channel 9 Aired A Very Short Segment Of What I Had To Say.
Mo One Woul Speak Out, Afraid of What Will Happen To Them.

After Being A US Marine for 6 Years and a Vet of the Gulf War, It's Going To Take a Lot More
Than a Bunch of Goons With Badges Threatening Me to Spook Me, And Believe Me They Have Tried and Tried,
Hell Amy Brosnahan Told My Wife And I We Had Better Move Out Of Kanabec County Because " It's Not Safe You You Here ".

All I Have To Amy Brosnahan Is I'll Be Damned If You Think I Will Leave Kanabec County On YOUR Term, IF and When We do Leave Kanabec County,
It Will Be When WE Decide To Move.

People of Kanabec County; VOTE ALL Of These Corrupt Fools Out of here!
Just Because YOU Have NOT Been SCREWED Over By The System YET - Doesn't Mean It Won't Happen!
Take a Stand That You're Not Going To Put Up With This Corrupt System Anymore!
Mary R to Tabby

United States

#7 May 28, 2010
We sent a letter to KSTP news, channel 5 about this county attorney. We asked fop Tim Sherno to investigate. There is also a state investigator who has been looking formpeople like yourself as he believes there is curuption and selective prosecution going on in Kanabec County. Call KSTP channel 5 in the Metro and ask for Tim Sherno. We can sterr you to the state investigator. Mary
Mary R to Sniper

United States

#8 May 28, 2010
Sorry, the email was ment for sniper and not tabby
cut in half

Pinellas Park, FL

#9 Aug 31, 2010
I took von thompson in front of the judge in the min 90"s check the court records lost evidense after a trial conviction my boys were hanging low& proud that day,he told the judge"I am here for you".Cut-n-half is alive&well*****
Tabby

Andover, MN

#10 Oct 8, 2010
This is the most disgusting and disturbing news ever. We put our faith, trust, and courage into our local law enforcement agencies, we pay their salaries for them to professionally and honorably keep our communities safe and this is how they treat the citizens? I have to say small town cops with authority along with judges and lawyers feel they can do what they want, how they want, without following Minnesota Statutes and Laws. Aren't laws developed to protect the citizens and enforce safety among communities, and to bring just upon those who are criminals who violate the law? It's very scary to know that a sheriff department is like this, but when our criminal justice system responsible for punishing criminals picks and chooses who to prosecute, who to arrest and hold accountable, now the issue has expanded 10 times more. So where do we go from here? It's about time that Mille Lacs County Courthouse and the Mille Lacs County Sheriff Department gets busted for their bullshit and corruption. I HATE fucken small town cops and court personnel who think they can do what the fuck they want, whatever happened to accountability? Integrity? Morals and Ethics of serving the public? Corruption exists and circulates in many places in this world, small and big cities, but the problem with small towns is that there is a lack of supervision, supervision with integrity, ethics, morals, values, and professionalism. Mille Lacs County Sheriff Department they just want to appear as cops, like on tv, they enjoy abusing their authority and carrying their gun on the hip, and driving around in their cop car like they have something to prove. Be advised this there is justice on the rise, it will prevail and surface it is going to take dedication, courage, wisdom, persistence, discipline, and an inner desire to shed justice to the citizens and those wrongfully convicted. I"ll be contacting Channel 5 without a second doubt and thought, glad to know others see what I see and have been targeted for this corrupted bull shit by our system! Please see this link below, it's a long article, but this article proves just how shady, cruel, inconsiderate, and corrupted are system is. Both articles are long, but you;ll be amazed at what was done and how this women was treated, if the link is bad copy/paste the titles below the links and you should be able to pull it up.

www.princetonmn.net/photos.htm
In Criminal Homicide--To Aid and Abet: How Corrupted Minnesota State Patrol Troopers and a Corrupted Rural State Courthouse, Covered-up a Criminal Homicide.

www.princetonmn.net/ "A killing in Princeton".

The Mission is Not, To Protect and Serve, it's: To Aid and Abet--in Criminal Homicide
A Criminal Homicide is Covered up in Central Minnesota by a Corrupted Minnesota State Patrol, a Corrupted Mille Lacs County District Court, and a Wealthy, Powerfully-"Connected " Gasoline Distribution Company
Tabby

Andover, MN

#11 Oct 8, 2010
Sniper24

It blows my mind the agony, pain, and bullshit you and your wife have been going through, I don't know you, we probably will never meet face to face or speak, but I hope that you and your wife have the strenght to continue to fight this battle. Citizens should not have to suffer from something like this. I am contacting KTSP Channel 5 and will share my stories and experiences and Im going to talk, I'm not going to be afraid like others are, I'm going to be the voice for those afraid to speak and hope for justice and truth. My prayers are with you and your wife.
Sorry I moved to Mora

Isanti, MN

#12 Oct 14, 2010
I had a problem tennant leave notes threatening me and left self-styled voo-doo dolls around the house- including in my bed. The cops didn't care. It took weeks for the deputy to write a report and it was totally inaccurate and incomplete. She also destroyed and stole property. The report was so vague that it is obvious nothing will be recovered.

I had to take the woman to court to get her evicted and also for a restraining order. At every step, getting the cops to do their job was like pulling teeth. When the sheriff's son, a deputy, came to my house to be present for move-out he told me that it was a "waste of his time." Because she was stealing things from my house at the time, I asked him if anything could be done, he shrugged.

The DAs office gave me the runaround for months, first telling me they would file charges, that the allegations sounded very serious, then eventually saying the accusations didn't equal threats. I don't believe this; they didn't want to file charges for some other reason.

Every police report I was able to get seemed designed to minimize the actions of the tenant. It was as if the officers wanted to make sure nothing could be brought to court.

In the sheriff's debate, Schulz continues to bristle whenever anyone dares criticize his staff. If he won't take responsibility for the actions of his deputies, who will? The previous posters have said it all. This is a corrupt, backwards place. I wish I had never moved here.
Bambi

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Oct 15, 2010
Do you inderstand that this man has not been Sheriff for many, many years? You seem to have a bad attitude about small town (county) law enforcement. Do you have personal experience with these two counties?
Tabby wrote:
Wow....does this not surprise anyone!! Kanabec County Sheriff Department lacks accountability, integrity, respect, and professionalism. This is expected behavior from a shitty, small town that makes up the laws and abuses their badge. They only get away with this behavior because there is so much corruption and cover ups to protect so many people that it's almost impossible to get the truth out at all. I find it hard to believe that the punishment of this wonderful public servant to be harsh and extreme. With all the corruption going on between Mille Lacs County and Kanabec County Sheriff, Police, and Court System there will be no accountability enforced and all three entities will continue to do lie for one another and abuse their authority because they can. Personally, someone with balls, integrity, structured morals and ethics needs to come in and bust all of their balls and take their badges away from the officers, deputies, and any court personnel need to be relieved as well. You do not run a sheriff department or a justice system the way these animals are currently. But it also says alot about the citizens who continue to support these parties and sit back and let them continue to engage in misconduct. This whole freak mess needs to be cleaned up which means hiring new personnel, having standards, ethics, accountability, and establishing checks and balances that are continuous, not only for officers and court personnel, but for those hire up in key leadership positions. Everyone needs to be accountable and have ethics, professionalism, integrity why support those with legal authority who abuse their position in our legal society? Why is this behavior acceptable? I can tell you....because people lack ethics and morals, not just in the professional career setting, but personnally as well. So I wonder how much longer this bullshit will continue to downspiral and get worse before someone with legal authority comes in and does something about it? And...no it won't be some inbread, small town everyone is related person it will be someone from a large county such as Hennepin and Ramsey who has balls and caries hatred towards public authority personnel that feel it is acceptable and appropriate to abuse their legal power and authority. So I wonder how many people are behind this corruption case? Let's see if Kanabec County Sheriff Department can catch up with Mille Lacs County who fell into the spotlight of a DUI case about a year or two ago,,,,,doesn't that make you proud of our legal system??
Tabby

Andover, MN

#14 Oct 16, 2010
Wow..you must be one of those small town people who think highly of the small town cops who are real cops. Are you aware that people talk shit and can't back it up, well I"m opposite of this person I can prove it repeatedly. I have interacted with this Sheriff Department Kanabec and Mille Lacs County and they're nothing but, evil, corrupt, discriminatory, and biased. Don't open your mouth and run it unless you know the details. There's proof that both departments are corrupt, have you missed the memo or what? Obviously you did. What I want to fight is the fact that our taxes pay the salaries for these assholes who violate this thing called Constitutional Rights, again, you must not of been aware of that it was taught back in grade school. Tell Me why it's okay for these law agencies to make the rules up to benefit themselves? Why would they allow a child abuser/neglector go free? Why would they allow someone with DWI's free along with the court system? They do discriminate and it has gotten to the point of the color of one's skin. This is 2010, not 1950 Jim Crow Laws and segregation. Small town people love it because they can make their own rules to satisfy them and suit them, they hate outsiders and citizens not like them. Wouldn't you want someone who had been drinking and driving put away especially after the fourth DWI where it is mandatory prison time? Wouldn't you want a Man who abuses and neglects his son put away and punished? If not, then you're fucked in the head. KAnabec and Mille Lacs County will be exposed, watch out for Billy Swanson...he's a real fucken conceited prick with a badge, he's not a real cop, he couldn't make it in Minneapolis Sheriff Department so joins the department for Kanabec or Mille Lacs I guess there is no difference they're both errogant, white pigs right? They're going to pay a price for their shit they've done, it's only a matter of time. As I close this, community policing philosophy is about establishing a relationship with communities this means building trust, exhibiting integrity, professionalism, honor, and trust you can't police a community where you improperly and illegaly arrest people and allow criminals to go free.
Anonymous

Maple Plain, MN

#15 Oct 19, 2010
Tabby; I too am appalled. I would like to share some things with you and talk about Tim Sherno. chris_edwards1991@hotmail.com
Tabby wrote:
Sniper24
It blows my mind the agony, pain, and bullshit you and your wife have been going through, I don't know you, we probably will never meet face to face or speak, but I hope that you and your wife have the strenght to continue to fight this battle. Citizens should not have to suffer from something like this. I am contacting KTSP Channel 5 and will share my stories and experiences and Im going to talk, I'm not going to be afraid like others are, I'm going to be the voice for those afraid to speak and hope for justice and truth. My prayers are with you and your wife.
Bambi

Cambridge, MN

#16 Oct 19, 2010
As a matter of fact I did grow up in Mora and knew all of the officers at that time since my father and brothers were officers. Since then my father has retired and my brothers work for Wahington and Hennipen Counties. I also know for a fact that some of the officers in Kanabec County were not worth the space they took up, but I also know that there were several that are wonderful. I only know a few of the officers there now and have no idea what the department is like, but judging all of the officers by the acts of some is ignorant.
I originally posted the question about Von and his crimes. Everyone seems to be focusing on the fact that it was horrible,which I agree, but a rant on Milles and Kanabec Counties does not answer the question. Your not going to change things by ripping into people and ranting online. You need to became involved by going to Town Hall meetings, County Board meetings, running for a office, etc.
FYI: I was in school and did very well. I would like to know exactly what laws these counties are making up for their own benefit. How exactly did the officers let the child molester go free? Where charges filed? Was there enough evidence to prosecute? I personally feel we should have Capital punishment for child molesters and rapists.
Saying that this only happens in small towns and by white officers makes you ignorant and a racist.
Minneapolis does not have a Sheriffs department, it is a city not a county. The county is Hennepin.
Clean Up Kanabec County

Pittsburgh, PA

#17 Aug 12, 2011
For information on:
Malicious Prosecutions in Kanabec County
Personally Motivated Prosecutions in Kanabec County
Government Abuse of Families in Kanabec County
Selective Arrest and Prosecution Practices in Kanabec County
Improper Activities by Kanabec County Officials in Kanabec County
And Much, Much More.....

Visit http://www.cleanupkanabeccounty.com/
Ady

Hudson, WI

#18 Dec 22, 2012
sniper24 wrote:
Tabby,
I Agree With You!
Kanabec County Has To Be The Most Corrupt County In The Entire USA!
Personally, I Have a BIG Problem With The Entire System Here,
From Chief Judge " Honorable " Timothy R. Bloomquist Who Is NOT
Honorable At All, He Plays GOD - Screws With Anyone that does Not
Hire a Lawyer, Punished those that he dislikes and makes up the law as he
sees fit, He is Pathetic.....
Then We have our Wonderful County District Attorney - Amy Brosnahan
Who Is a Complete SNOB and a Joke!
My Wife Was RAPED By one of the Kanabec County " Good 'Ol Boys "
And She Never Even Gave the BCA The DNA Evidence.
Then We Have The Almighty Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz,
Whom When My Wife Was Raped Sent 2 of His Goons Over to accused Rapist Home,
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz 2 Goons Asked This Bastard If He Raped My Wife,
He Said " No " - OK! Good Enough For Us! Have a Good Night Mr. Rapist.
The Damn Fools Couldn't Investigate Who Makes the Coffee at the Sheriffs Office.
Needless To Say, I Am NOT a Passive Person, I Went into the Sheriffs Office and Spoke Directly
With Sheriff Steve Schulz, I was Not Pleased with His Attitude and his I Don't give a crap Attitude,
We Exchanged a Few Unpleasant Words Then He Told Me " I Don't Work for You - You Can't Make Me Do Shit "
YES! That Was The Exact Quote Sheriff Steve Schulz Said To Me.
I Than Asked Him Who The Hell Do YOU Work For?
He Told Me I Had 5 Seconds To The F*ck Out Of HIS Office Or I Will Be Arrested!
Now I Used To Live Close To Larry and Lois Steenerson, Steve Schulz KNEW Full
Well Larry and Lois Steenerson Had Received Death Threats, Threatening Phone Calls and Letters,
Steve Schulz NEVER Once Got Off His Ass and do anything to Prevent Larry and Lois Steenerson
From Being Murdered. Ever Since Then, Word Among Those That Knew the Steenersons Was
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz " Loves To Pour Gas On The Fire " - So After
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Threatened to Lock Me Up if I Didn't Get Out of His Office
I Tested This, I Left His Office Went To The Front Desk And Told Them I Wanted a Permit To Purchase a Handgun,
Less Than 10 Days Later I Received My Permit To Purchase a Handgun, Signed By No Other Than Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Himself.
Now, Given The Fact I Am MAD DOG PISSED At The Bastard That Raped My Wife, And The Entire Kanabec County Sheriffs Office,
Kanabec County Sheriff Steve Schulz Never Asked Me Anything, Never Tried To Tell Me " I'll Give You a Permit Once You Settle Down " or Hom Many
Guns I Think I Need, Nothing - I Believe He Was Hoping I Would Use It On The Bastard That Raped My Wife.
99.9% of the People that Live Here In Kanabec County Are SCARED.
They Have To Stand Up For Themselves, It's Pathetic I Contacted Channel 9 About All The Corruption
In Kanabec County, I Was Asked To Round Up As Many People as I Could To Go On Camera And Tell Their Stories,
Out of 24 People That Bitch About How Corrupt The System is in Kanabec County,
I Was The Only 1 That Would Go On Camera And Tell My Multiple Stories Of Kanabec County Corruption, Channel 9 Aired A Very Short Segment Of What I Had To Say.
Mo One Woul Speak Out, Afraid of What Will Happen To Them.
After Being A US Marine for 6 Years and a Vet of the Gulf War, It's Going To Take a Lot More
Than a Bunch of Goons With Badges Threatening Me to Spook Me, And Believe Me They Have Tried and Tried,
Hell Amy Brosnahan Told My Wife And I We Had Better Move Out Of Kanabec County Because " It's Not Safe You You Here ".
All I Have To Amy Brosnahan Is I'll Be Damned If You Think I Will Leave Kanabec County On YOUR Term, IF and When We do Leave Kanabec County,
It Will Be When WE Decide To Move.
People of Kanabec County; VOTE ALL Of These Corrupt Fools Out of here!
Just Because YOU Have NOT Been SCREWED Over By The System YET - Doesn't Mean It Won't Happen!
Take a Stand That You're Not Going To Put Up With This Corrupt System Anymore!
Where are you at now. I just took by DA!
Ady

Hudson, WI

#19 Dec 22, 2012
Hey y'all where are you guys now? I just totally got F'd by kanabec and I have a friend who is a writer for the strib. He has the whistle blower column. I'm collectig facts. So if you have any doc's statements etc. you would like to provide great. I am looking for anyone's experience with the Sheriff Dept, the State Troopers that assist w/patrol, Jail, Judges, MS Nasty Brosanen, and Luke Aheny Propations, Richard Hermes or any Public Defender and any jail or probations random drug testing! This is just being treated unfairly they are violating civil rights and liberties, charging punitive bail/release amounts and contaiminating drug test and producing false breathalyzer results. My Name is Adrienne and my email is adrienne.lund@rocketmail.com
Richard Johnson

Becker, MN

#20 Jul 2, 2014
The Most Corrupt County In Minnesota Goes To ...... Wright County (Buffalo MN).
Law Enforcement In Wright County Actually Admitted To Me In 2009 Face-To-Face Bragging That Wright County Minnesota Is Thee Most Corrupt County in The State of Minnesota.
Congratulations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hennepin County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Student Sues Over SAT Error (Apr '06) Sep 13 MaltaMon 5
Minneapolis man molests 10-year-old sleepover g... Sep 11 Nobody 2 Special 3
Minneapolis man charged with murder in shooting Aug '14 cowboy chris 1
HealthEast hospitals embracing a 'baby-friendly... Aug '14 Treated Friendly ... 1
Investigation Continues After Teen Drowns In Lake Aug '14 Eya Bola Jane 1
Minneapolis teen charged with shooting 3 women,... Jul '14 Seattle Slime 4
Man, 24, Charged In Connection With N. Mpls. Sh... Jul '14 Bellweather 11

Hennepin County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE