NAACP: Reinstate fired Bolivar police chief

Oct 11, 2011 Full story: Jacksonsun.com 19

The NAACP held a press conference Monday morning in Bolivar, asking Mayor Barrett Stevens to reinstate former Bolivar Police Chief Bill Irons, said Monroe Woods, president of the Bolivar-Hardeman County chapter of the NAACP.

Full Story
peaceof mind

United States

#1 Oct 11, 2011
They need to rhat man was fair,and they just know he was to good for this job.and we need him back please hire him back and why not.
My Inner Self

Jackson, MO

#2 Oct 12, 2011
I pray to god bill gets his job back he as a good an honest chief the right man for the job. He never harassed no one like pat does, he is not racist. Go Bill make the kkk's give your job back and fire pat baker sorry butt.
true

Jackson, TN

#3 Oct 12, 2011
black folks are the biggest racist

Since: Sep 11

Canton, TX

#4 Oct 12, 2011
The naacp ( national american association of complaining people) said he was fired for no reason. These morons are to dumb to realize that tennessee is a fire at will state. they can fire you for any reason at all. But when they step in its automatically a race issue. Wtf
white girl.

Laconia, TN

#5 Oct 12, 2011
Ok. I am a white girl. I think he was unfairly fired, too. I think Chief Irons was doing an excellent job, and that it was very crooked and unprofessional to fire him the way the Mayor did. I do not think we should be playing the race card every time something happens. Some people are just full of hate. If they didn't hate you for your race, they sure would find something else. It is time for us to stand together, not just because someone is of our race, but because they are righteous. Chief Irons was not a racist man, and I do not think he would appreciate the matter being talked about this way. From what I know, he is a Christian. Christians are taught to love one another, not hate like some other religions. LOVE ONE ANOTHER & GOD will take care of the rest!

Since: Sep 11

Canton, TX

#6 Oct 12, 2011
Christians are crooked sometimes as bad as anyone else. Tenn labor law says a person can be terminated for any reason. Might not be fair but that's what happens when you live in a fire at will state. lets talk bout being a christian again. Priests are considered christian right? Well alot of them were charged with child molestation a couple years ago. If they wanted him as chief they wouldn't of fired him. Its as simple as that. Wrong. The naacp is gonna blow this out of proportion and say its because he is black. That's all they are good for is to start shit. that organization to me starts racist cases alot of times. If the chief was white do you think an organization would be saying anything? Hell naw.
peaceof mind

United States

#7 Oct 14, 2011
Well God has the last say so and i don't think Mr. Bill is hurting for this Job and he look like he is not crying for this Job,and he will be just fine i would leave this crazy town and say the hell with being Chief anyway.let whoever deal with these crazy white and black folks.and he was did wrong i am very white buti love black blue white brown and all colors it just the skin, our blood is the same and some of ourminds are the same.please stop talking bad abou 't Cheif Irons he is still in our prayers ans heart.

Since: Sep 11

Marshall, TX

#8 Oct 15, 2011
peaceof mind wrote:
Well God has the last say so and i don't think Mr. Bill is hurting for this Job and he look like he is not crying for this Job,and he will be just fine i would leave this crazy town and say the hell with being Chief anyway.let whoever deal with these crazy white and black folks.and he was did wrong i am very white buti love black blue white brown and all colors it just the skin, our blood is the same and some of ourminds are the same.please stop talking bad abou 't Cheif Irons he is still in our prayers ans heart.
god doesn't have the last say. the naacp does. They will cry racism like they always do and make a big stink of the matter. White people get screwed everyday but they don't bitch. They just go find something else to do.
PDW

Humboldt, TN

#9 Jan 29, 2012
Marcelus wallace wrote:
Christians are crooked sometimes as bad as anyone else. Tenn labor law says a person can be terminated for any reason. Might not be fair but that's what happens when you live in a fire at will state. lets talk bout being a christian again. Priests are considered christian right? Well alot of them were charged with child molestation a couple years ago. If they wanted him as chief they wouldn't of fired him. Its as simple as that. Wrong. The naacp is gonna blow this out of proportion and say its because he is black. That's all they are good for is to start shit. that organization to me starts racist cases alot of times. If the chief was white do you think an organization would be saying anything? Hell naw.
There is a HUGE difference between a Christian and someone who calls themselves Christian
truestory

Nashville, TN

#10 Jan 29, 2012
The man was fired 6 months before he was eligible for retirement. You're telling me he did a fine job with no problems for 29.5 years and all of a sudden, he deserves to be fired over a little disagreement? I didn't see any allegations that would be severe enough for him to lose a job he carried for nearly 3 decades. Definitely seems like BS. Maybe it's not necessarily a race issue, but he didn't know where else to turn.
hmm

Humboldt, TN

#11 Jan 29, 2012
Bolivar needs to be sued by a good lawyer for things other than this, as well! They have officers that are crooked and illegally arrest people for things they don't do. Then they "bully" you into accepting the bizarre crap they dream up. Then, we have officers that are domestic assault convicts becoming investigators because of who they know. Also, never hire a lawyer from here because they are buddy buddy with the court officials. This town needs a wake up call!
citizen

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Jan 29, 2012
When will they hire another black fireman? I understand that it's been 17yrs since they hired one and they have hired to whites under the last two mayors!! Hardeman county will have its day I promise...
Rufus

Washington, DC

#13 Jan 29, 2012
Bill Irons wasn't fired because he was black he was fired because he disregarded direct orders from his boss. The mayor. On several occasions. He also wasn't fighting crime appropriately. By the way in Tn your boss can fire you at any time without any particular reason. But it was so obvious bill wasn't doing a great job anyone should have been able to see it coming. Just because you smilin in the paper every week doesn't make you a good chief. He was way over his head.
ReLoy

Washington, DC

#14 Jan 29, 2012
To citizen: I'm sure when the fire department looks through that long list of applications and find a honest, hardworking black man that they will hire him.
truestory

Nashville, TN

#15 Jan 29, 2012
So maybe he wasn't doing his job at the best of his ability. But he had been with the dept for sooo long (29+ years!!). Why didn't they just demote him for 6 months until he could get his 30 year retirement? I also understand that it's a "fire at will" state, but there's a difference between what's justifiable and what's right. Yes, they are justified according to the law, but it doesn't make it the right thing to do.
citizen

Bowie, MD

#16 Jan 30, 2012
ReLoy wrote:
To citizen: I'm sure when the fire department looks through that long list of applications and find a honest, hardworking black man that they will hire him.
Reloy I understand that you don't know what going on but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on in this town or maybe you do but just ignorant. I have talked to a city worker and they notified me that GAVE one a job at the water plant so they could transfer him to the fire dept. and the last one they hired they hired him to work on the garbage truck when they knew it were a opening coming up at the fire dept. so they could transfer him there. Come on its who you know and how much ass you can wipe in this town.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#17 Jan 30, 2012
I hope he don't get his job back as chief! But instead run for sheriff.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#18 Jan 30, 2012
citizen wrote:
<quoted text>Reloy I understand that you don't know what going on but it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's going on in this town or maybe you do but just ignorant. I have talked to a city worker and they notified me that GAVE one a job at the water plant so they could transfer him to the fire dept. and the last one they hired they hired him to work on the garbage truck when they knew it were a opening coming up at the fire dept. so they could transfer him there. Come on its who you know and how much ass you can wipe in this town.
I could not agree with this statement more!
dpalmer3

Memphis, TN

#19 Nov 15, 2012
TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN WELL I MUST SAY WHAT I DID WAS WRONG,IN 2002 I WAS CHARGE WITH INTRODUCTION A FACILITY WITH A CONTRABAND,FIRST CHARGE EVER.I COMPLETED 3YRS OF PROBATION.I WAS VIOLATED BECAUSE I FELL BEHIND IN MY COURT COST AND PROBATION FINES,I DID NOT GET INTO TROUBLE WITH THE LAW.YEARS LATER I TRY TO GET THIS SHIT EXPUNGED AND IM TOLD BY THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY THAT IT CAN NOT BE DONE,AND THE STATE OF TENNESSEE PAST THIS NEW LAW FOR FIRST TIME OFFENDERS JULY 1 2012.YOU MUST MEET CERTAIN STANDARD,YOU CAN NOT BE CONVICTED OF ANY DOMESTIC VIOLENCE,SEXUAL CONDUCT,VIOLENCE OF ANY BODILY HARM ,ANY ROBBERY, OR BE A REPEAT OFEENDER.WELL THATS ALOT BULL BECAUSE THERE FOLKS OUT THERE WALKING AROUND WITH A FUCKING SLAP ON THE HAND DOING THE SOME DUM SHIT.SO WHY IS IT SO EASY FOR THEM TO GET AWAY WITH IT AND THE CIRCUIT CORT AND THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY OFFICE ARE GIVEN ME A HARD FUCKING TIME GETTING THIS OFF MY RECORD,IM A FAMILY MAN I HAVE 3 BEAUTIFUL DAUGHTERS,I LOVE TO WORK AND ETC:I HAVE SERVAL JOB OFFERS/AND 3 POLICE AGENCY THAT WILLING TO HIRE ME BUT I MUST GET THIS OF MY RECORD.OH IM SORRY HARDAMEN COUNTY BOLIVAR TN DO NOT GIVE A DAMN ABOUT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.I HAVE WROTE TO D.A ,JUDGE,GOVENOR WHAT MUST I DO?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Hardeman County Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
the election results Aug '14 nevermovingforward 1
Perry out as Bolivar head football coach (Jan '14) Mar '14 jip 2
Whiteville Police Officer Arrested (Jun '10) Dec '13 Hootie Bootie 9
Tennessee: Prison plan raising questions (Jun '10) Aug '13 rob 13
Nearly $700,000 cut from Hardeman County budget (Sep '12) Feb '13 Joe 10
Hardin Co. driver center on the move (Sep '09) Oct '12 ghhj 2
Teacher facing DUI, drug charges (Oct '12) Oct '12 JMV 1

Hardeman County People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE