1997 GMC Jimmy 4.3 L Vortec

Posted in the General Motors Forum

First Prev
of 16
Next Last
Frank

Nanuet, NY

#1 Jul 17, 2007
Engine stalls without warning. Starts up again without a problem. At times, vehicle begins to stall while accelerating after a cold start while accelerator is depressed for up hill climb. Tachometer dives to zero, engine doesn't stall, RPM's increase immediately. Mechanic has checked vehicle, can't diagnose problem.
On one occasion after the vehicle stalled in traffic, the ABS dashboard light came on and stayed lit. It reset after the engine was turned off and then restarted after 8 hours.
Any ideas as to the cause of the problem?
John Hamilton

AOL

#2 Jul 22, 2007
Frank, I am having the same problem with a 1996 Jimmy. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Leesburg.FL
jhamil1934@netscapeconnect.com
Pat Vennare AUTOFIXES 1

Boynton Beach, FL

#3 Aug 3, 2007
The electrical connector inside the intake plenum
on the injector assem causes the same symptoms and
fails often. I have seen this problem 20 or so
times on the 4.3, the connector to injector connection becomes highly resistive, heats up and
opens up, clean the injector pins and replace the connector.
pete

Grand Rapids, MI

#4 Aug 4, 2007
been having sarting problems with daughters 94 blazer 4.3 vortec , fuel pressure fine , changed , fuel filter, premium injector cleaner additive when it sits to cold it usally starts ,warms up ? will idle it seems forever , drive ? it stalls at a stop sighn . then changed rotor and cap , worked great! drove it , let it heat up , drove it some more, shut it off , started many times over a couple hours , thought it was fixed , confident enuff to go to gas station put in 10 galons of premium,+ more injector cleaner , drove for 10 mins parked in drive ,@#$#@ wont start , 2 hrs , no start, i will add if i spray starter fluid in open butterfly it starts and stays running, have tried to avoid doing this tho , exhaust smells normal, 128K miles low for 94 , engine dosnt leak oils or fluids, clean for age , HELP?
TMAN

Halifax, Canada

#5 Aug 9, 2007
Frank wrote:
Engine stalls without warning. Starts up again without a problem. At times, vehicle begins to stall while accelerating after a cold start while accelerator is depressed for up hill climb. Tachometer dives to zero, engine doesn't stall, RPM's increase immediately. Mechanic has checked vehicle, can't diagnose problem.
On one occasion after the vehicle stalled in traffic, the ABS dashboard light came on and stayed lit. It reset after the engine was turned off and then restarted after 8 hours.
Any ideas as to the cause of the problem?
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR ,BRAKE HYDRAULIC MODULATOR NEEDS TO BE REPLACED!!
TMAN

Halifax, Canada

#6 Aug 9, 2007
WHEEL SPEED SENSOR TRIGGER WHEEL IS GETTING A HIGH VOLTAGE READING!!,BRAKE HYDRAULIC MODULATOR NEEDS TO BE SERVICED OR REPLACED!!
Dumb Redneck

Greensboro, NC

#7 Aug 10, 2007
Clean EGR valve and check alternator for consistent output without dips/spikes in voltage.
Brian

United States

#8 Sep 17, 2007
I have a 1997 Jimmy with starting problems. I am having to spray starter fluid in the carberator to get it started. It starts up immediately after doing that and runs great, but after I stop and turn the vehicle off, it has trouble starting again. The fuel pump is working fine, pressure is good, fuel filter changed, tune up done, starter changed, fuel injector cleaner tried, no engine lights on. Any help would be appreciated!
Dumb Redneck

Greensboro, NC

#9 Sep 17, 2007
Brian wrote:
I have a 1997 Jimmy with starting problems. I am having to spray starter fluid in the carberator to get it started. It starts up immediately after doing that and runs great, but after I stop and turn the vehicle off, it has trouble starting again. The fuel pump is working fine, pressure is good, fuel filter changed, tune up done, starter changed, fuel injector cleaner tried, no engine lights on. Any help would be appreciated!
The problem is that you have a carbeurator on your engine when you should actually have port fuel injection. Swap out the carb for the factory fuel injection system and your starting problems will disappear.
Dan

AOL

#10 Sep 23, 2007
I have a 93 s-10 blazer with a W 4.3. recently it stalled and would not start. i've replaced the fuel pump relay and the fuel injector. the fuel pump comes on and builds adequate pressure. i tried the computer in another identical blazer and it worked. the computer from the other blazer did not work in mine. it will start for a second with starting fluid then dies. the ecm fuses are good. i'm out of ideas. anybody?
Terry

Toronto, Canada

#11 Sep 23, 2007
I had a similar problem with our 97 Blazer. The fuel injector electricial plug on mine got soaked in gas when the injector seal below it failed. The circuit plug seal swelled up when the gas got to it and prevented any leak showing. The gas was then pushed through the wiring harness all the way to the Ignition control mudule which then eventually failed. It took me a long time and 2 ingition modules to figure it out.
Dan

AOL

#12 Sep 23, 2007
Terry wrote:
I had a similar problem with our 97 Blazer. The fuel injector electricial plug on mine got soaked in gas when the injector seal below it failed. The circuit plug seal swelled up when the gas got to it and prevented any leak showing. The gas was then pushed through the wiring harness all the way to the Ignition control mudule which then eventually failed. It took me a long time and 2 ingition modules to figure it out.
would it still spark? i just pulled the module out and found the 2 screws holding it down to be pretty corroded. the prongs for the pickup coil were pretty rusty too. think that could not send a pulse to the ecm to tell the injectors to open? thanks
Kirk

Fort Collins, CO

#13 Sep 26, 2007
I have a 97 GMC Jimmy, 4.3, Automatic, 4wd. The 4wd is the electric push buttons. The 4wd tries to kick in automatically when I slow down or decelerate after climbing a hill or something similar. It starts with a very low hum that is hard to hear, it sounds like an electric motor. Sometimes under certain circumstances it will get much louder. If I press the 4wd button it will complete the process of engaging 4wd. Then I can press the 2wd button to take it back out of 4wd. However at times it will howl like crazy if I try to get it back to 2wd. I just drove from Maine to Colorado and this problem plagued me all the way. Especially when the cruise control was on. It seemed that whenever I would slow down for an exit or rest stop I couldn't get it to go into 2wd until after I stopped then started driving again. Even though it wanted to go into 4wd it wouldn't until I pressed the button.
Jared

Windsor, CA

#14 Sep 27, 2007
Hello I have this problem and have been going on and getting tired of it, spend a lot of money and time going back to the shop. Anyway, I have GMC jimmy 1995 for the current year (2007) I have the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel injectors replaced 3 times this year. Then the computer also have been replace one time. last night I was on the way to NV my car died on me. came to find out that the fuel injections not supplying gas to the engine to replace this part will be my 4th times. does anybody know what's going on with my jimmy? My Brother walked me through the engine over the phone, everything is working except that fuel injection part. Please Help.
mark

Temperance, MI

#15 Sep 29, 2007
99 gmc jimmy wont go into four wheel drive when i push the botton,it just kicks back to two wheel drive.
mark

Temperance, MI

#16 Sep 29, 2007
99 jimmy wont go into four wheel drive lights just flash and it stays in two wheel drive.
Brian

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Oct 4, 2007
I have a 99 Jimmy, when gas guage hits half a tank or lower the guage goes crazy! It bounces around and goes back up to full then all the way down to empty, then back up to half...etc. Anyone have suggestion what it can be e-mail me at bhart76@iwon.com thank you
Jose K9

Chihuahua, Mexico

#18 Oct 8, 2007
Please post to the forum.
I have a 1997 jimmy whith 115k miles on it,automatic,2wd,tbi,4.3 v6.
I turn the key ignition to the on position and there is not any sign of power on the instrument panel,the engine cranks but doesn't start,if I wait a few seconds,arroud 10,the instrument panel goes on and turn the key ignition to the start position and runs normaly,this goes on and on two or three times a week,any ideas?
Please reply to E-mail xe2isu@hotmail.com
Thanks!!!
Randy

Nanaimo, Canada

#19 Oct 18, 2007
I have a 1996 4wd Jimmy with 4.3 Vortec. Am noticing a surge in the rpm while waiting at stops or idling. At first was just up 200 rpm, but now the surge is reaching 500 rpm. It's cyclical, about thirty seconds apart. Anybody familiar with this? Can I fix it by installing new parts?
Jmerk

Lake City, FL

#20 Oct 24, 2007
did you ever get that 97 jimmy running?
Jose K9 wrote:
Please post to the forum.
I have a 1997 jimmy whith 115k miles on it,automatic,2wd,tbi,4.3 v6.
I turn the key ignition to the on position and there is not any sign of power on the instrument panel,the engine cranks but doesn't start,if I wait a few seconds,arroud 10,the instrument panel goes on and turn the key ignition to the start position and runs normaly,this goes on and on two or three times a week,any ideas?
Please reply to E-mail xe2isu@hotmail.com
Thanks!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 16
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

General Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GM Telling Pontiac, Saab Owners Not to Allow Fr... 19 hr John Jeffery 1
Commodore replacement may have special insignia Oct 19 John Jeffery 1
Off With Their Heads (Dec '06) Oct 13 1979jnap 2
Could GM buy Chrysler? (Dec '06) Oct 11 1979jnap 49
Cadillac is making big mistakes Oct 8 John Jeffery 3
General Motor's Sustainability Strategies Oct 4 John Jeffery 2
GM Dealers Told to Stop Selling Pickups Until A... Oct 4 John Jeffery 1

General Motors People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE