For Walgreen customers, loyalty runs shallow

Jan 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Crain's Chicago Busines

Greg Wasson is a pharmacist, so I guess it's not surprising that he overestimates the joys of interacting with Walgreen Co.'s druggists.

Comments
1 - 18 of 18 Comments Last updated Jan 28, 2012
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#1 Jan 23, 2012
Oops Walgreens! Are you bad?
Hgybr

Sacramento, CA

#2 Jan 23, 2012
Good article, thank you for sharing
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#3 Jan 23, 2012
Hgybr wrote:
Good article, thank you for sharing
My pleasure.
Mickey

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jan 23, 2012
I appreciates you sharing that article. It was very informing and may in fact be a prelude of how hard it will affect us in the near future.
Bob

Amherst, MA

#5 Jan 24, 2012
This seems to be a one sided article with not being open minded. If Walgreens stayed at the rates the were wanted by expresscripts which were less then previous contract they would be Loseing money this is why they took the stance against what expresscripts wanted. It's is not a great position either way but you have to look at long term. Why agree on terms that Walgreens would lose money on near and far term.
Geraldo

Houston, TX

#6 Jan 24, 2012
Bob wrote:
This seems to be a one sided article with not being open minded. If Walgreens stayed at the rates the were wanted by expresscripts which were less then previous contract they would be Loseing money this is why they took the stance against what expresscripts wanted. It's is not a great position either way but you have to look at long term. Why agree on terms that Walgreens would lose money on near and far term.
Kermit (the frog) would have said they were going to lose money if that were in fact the case. Instead, he didn't admit to not losing money. "Express Scripts' price is less than the average cost of filling a prescription, he says. But he won't say if Walgreen would lose money at that price."
Tozai

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#7 Jan 24, 2012
The author should have done some research rather than just speculating or assuming. Many patients have complained! Many plans and employer groups have direct contracted with Walgreens, and based on their savings and experience more will follow those plans as their contracts turn with ESI. While I do not agree with the steps leading up to the expired contract, ESI's attempt to cut cost to their client while still taking huge margin to the bottom line is unacceptable. Oh by the way they are turning a pretty penny too as a MIDDLE man. I can only imagine the author was paid or had incentive to right such a one sided release with all the info to the contrary of what he describes.
Susan

Geneva, IL

#8 Jan 24, 2012
I've seen so many people change to new plans at my store alone. I don't believe that article is accurate.
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#9 Jan 26, 2012
One thing for sure, Walmart is very happy!
Tozai

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jan 26, 2012
Diane wrote:
One thing for sure, Walmart is very happy!
Are they? Way understaffed for their volume before Jan 1st, can't imagine their stress level now. Many are filling with 24hr wait times
shermy

Houston, TX

#11 Jan 26, 2012
Tozai wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they? Way understaffed for their volume before Jan 1st, can't imagine their stress level now. Many are filling with 24hr wait times
think she meant corporate Walmart -- like they would care about the stress level of their employees
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#12 Jan 26, 2012
No, I transferred my meds over there because my elderly mother is Tricare and you know that story.I have been very ill for over a year and last year spent $1400 on meds after insurance and God knows how much Mom spent. Walmart just was not prepared for the sudden influx of business. They are handling things well and seem very grateful for new patients. But I'm sure they are freaking behind the scenes!
sean

United States

#13 Jan 28, 2012
They were not losing money. They were just not getting a good deal. The only reason they found this out was when they bought duane reade, walgreens was able to see the contract duane reade had with esi and thought they were getting screwed and wanted a better. Kick back
shermy

Houston, TX

#14 Jan 28, 2012
sean wrote:
They were not losing money. They were just not getting a good deal. The only reason they found this out was when they bought duane reade, walgreens was able to see the contract duane reade had with esi and thought they were getting screwed and wanted a better. Kick back
Exactly -- When Kermit was asked by a financial journalist if Walgreens would actually have been losing money he refused to answer.
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#15 Jan 28, 2012
shermy wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly -- When Kermit was asked by a financial journalist if Walgreens would actually have been losing money he refused to answer.
Shermy, I missed something somewhere. Who is Kermit?
Hgybr

Sacramento, CA

#16 Jan 28, 2012
Diane wrote:
<quoted text>Shermy, I missed something somewhere. Who is Kermit?
Here go:

Mr. Kermit R. Crawford is President - Pharmacy, Health and Wellness of Walgreen Company since September 2010. He served as Executive Vice President January 2010 to September 2010; Senior Vice President - October 2007 to January 2010; Vice President October 2005 to October 2007; Senior Vice President, Walgreens Health Services October 2005 to September 2007.
BASIC COMPENSATION
Total Annual Compensation, USD Long-Term Incentive Plans, USD All Other, USD Fiscal Year Total, USD
1,512,900 -- 619,182 3,605,490
shermy

Houston, TX

#17 Jan 28, 2012
Diane wrote:
<quoted text>Shermy, I missed something somewhere. Who is Kermit?
I sometimes refer to him as "Kermit the frog"
Diane

Tucson, AZ

#18 Jan 28, 2012
shermy wrote:
<quoted text>
I sometimes refer to him as "Kermit the frog"
Thanks!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Express Scripts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Express Scripts Controlled Substance (Dec '13) Aug 23 Marcella 2
evil company Aug 22 Donna bradley 1
Walgreens Drug Store to Leave TRICARE Pharmacy ... (Aug '11) Jun '14 Blood Pressure Mo... 3
Adult ADHD med use up, especially women May '14 Childrens Meds 4
claim May '14 bocar sy 1
express scirpts (Jan '09) Jan '14 fired iceman 695
One in six New Jersey adults takes mental healt... (Jul '13) Sep '13 HumanSpirit 13
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Express Scripts People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••