Dollar General faces new lawsuit

Full story: Montgomery Advertiser

A Montgomery law firm has filed a joint lawsuit in federal court, alleging that Dollar General stores intentionally misclassified its store managers as executives to avoid paying them overtime.
Comments
101 - 120 of 946 Comments Last updated Jul 29, 2014

“Julie”

Since: Aug 07

Cape Canaveral, FL

#101 Sep 30, 2007
I don't know about the area or the store you are trying to get hired on at, but, we have all types of people working at our store. How do you present yourself when you go in asking about a job? I have had people who wear shorts and halter tops (I live in Florida where it's hot most of the time) and I will talk to them, but the one's who get my attention are the ones who dress for an interview. It's not appropriate to wear beach wear or shorts, slouchy pants, tops that show your belly or have a baby on your hip. It's just good business sense to look and act appropriate when even asking for an application. We have several different races working in our store. We also have people who probably couldn't pass a drug test working for us...they don't carry keys. It's your attitude and how you present yourself that gets you the interview in our store. Look in the mirror. Would you hire you if you were in their position?
jtkirk

Edmond, OK

#102 Sep 30, 2007
luckie1 wrote:
Julie
You are talking a bunch of bs. I know this for a fact. being a Co-Mgr as u put it u do not get expenses paid and u do not travel. I've been with DG for over 8 1/2 yrs. been a lead clerk, Asst. Mgr. and Mgr. Lady u would have 2 be awfully high up or a mucky-mucky 2 get that.
I gotta ask, which center you work for in Wichita Falls. I used to be a DM there for DG.
DG Manager

Clearwater, FL

#103 Dec 29, 2007
Having previous big box management experience prior to DG, and being a current DG manager now I can say this with certainly. The corporate culture not only condones racism and substandard management practices, but this is the norm in american business these days not isolated to DG. DG has in my district promoted a woman who not only being unqualified and not a good fit is educationally out of her league. The RM who promoted this former store manager did so to make sure she didnt have to get saddled with the work of not having someone filled the position after our other DM quit after yrs of DG's bs. Accusations of racism and bias have been running crazy since this woman was promoted to DM and no one is DG's corporate ladder has stepped in to follow up. Fellow employee's who are female and african american have complained as well as white employees but again no one from DG has done a thing. In order for DG to protect its own had the RM's boss call around to black female employee's asking questions about racism but they still refuse to get rid of the DM who is openly racist. As a matter of fact, the RM and DM are transfering nad trying to fire anyone who can testify to the illegal acts to protect themselves. The sad part of it all is the RM is a black female herself and feels it necessary to cover he butt because she knows she screwed up by promoting a racist as her DM because she was so needy and didn't openly interview for the position and promoted this womanonly after days of the original DM quitting.
As with all issues like this, one person complaining does nothing, the company looks at the person complaining as the trouble maker and looks to axe them rather than fix the real problem. Seems lawsuits and gov't investigations are the only thing that gets companies attention anymore.
If and only if DG's corporate general counsel wants to avoid the obvious lawsuit in the making by female and or black female employees they need to get rid of this racist DM in the Brooksville district. What's really funny is this racist DM's husband is a prison guard and they often brag about how her hubby at his job prevents prisoners with dentures from taking their teeth to eat at meal time because the guards think its fun and get a laugh out of it. This is the kind of upper management DG hires to run its florida business model.
Funny about KKR

Clearwater, FL

#104 Dec 30, 2007
It's funny that the sametime KKR bought DG, they bought one of the world's largest RFID makers in the same way and took it off the stock exchange away from oversight, public eyeballing and regulators.

Anyone see a pattern here???

Oh btw Here is Kathleen R. Guion's email address.......she is head of DG store operations. Maybe she is another DG pencil pusher, maybe not, who knows........
Based on Florida's SOP she couldn't be much worst..........

Kguion@ dollargeneral.com
Linda

United States

#105 Dec 30, 2007
DG has made it's money on the backs of their managers........shame on them. When someone asks me for information about management positions I ask them if they want to watch their kids grow up. If they say yes, I send them on their way. We work Thanksgiving... every weekend...and have pitiful payroll hours....all this adds up to no home life.No discounts.no bonuses, no incentives.
dg ky

Whitesville, KY

#106 Jan 1, 2008
how funny. everyone has the same complant but yet no one takes a stand. I can't see complaining all the time over the same things over and over.
The only way anything will ever change is if we all take a stand and stop putting up with it.
just think one day of shut down they will lose so much money the will go belly up.
I'm not saying shut down the stores just make the point to your home office. we can't and won't put up with the shameless act of cutting back hours and hurting the people that make thier god almighty dollar for them.
I have good people working buy my side that make no more than 5.85 and been with the comp. for 4 yrs. this mo. we where told to cut them back to 16hrs.and give asst. manger 30 3rd key 24.and give eveyone else 8 here 4 here and whatever. everyone has to make a living not just the man or woman in the office, that have never and prob. never will know any of us or what we do.
I have 7 on staff . 129 hours. A clean store.Truck is out the day of reciving or lates the day after by 11a.m. Our custmers love the store and the way we all keep it up.
I have class act staff that i'm going to lose if they don't get some respect from thows fools in home office, hours, and competative wages
tired in fl

Clearwater, FL

#107 Jan 2, 2008
Hey dg ky....when was the last time u actually complained or called corporate?
Problem is mos if not all of u who make posts like that is try to egg others on to do things and u never do anything yourself

“I'm an EX-dg employee”

Since: Jan 08

somewhere in usa

#108 Jan 2, 2008
dollar general has so many workers comp lawsuits that you don't hear about.Believe me!I have known at least 10 people who I worked with that have gotten hurt at work & were fired because they were not able to return to their job position within 12 weeks of getting put on fmla leave..2 of them had surgery..1 for a broken neck from the harnesses to protect them from falling....DG doesn't care about their employees well being....they only care that the cases get out.
Holly NHT PA

Greensburg, PA

#109 Jan 7, 2008
Dollar General is the absolute worst experience I've ever had to deal with. Working as 3rd key for this company was absolutely useless and a complete waste. I had to bust my ass for a relatively successful store, with customer count normally over 500 and BS of 10-11 dollars per day. They left me with mounds of paperwork and 20 rolltainers to be stocked and paid me LESS than most cashiers. After being ignored and promised raises weren't being given I got smart and quit. NEVER AGAIN! The worst company to work for and I feel sorry for everyone else praising this company. The managers get paid a measely salary of 29,000 dollars a year (starting) and work as slaves, who are EXPECTED to work more than their PAID 80 hours, as well as the asst. managers who can't make more than 11.00. SNAP OUT OF IT! Go elsewhere and make double that to hell with this company. They treat their employees like slaves and expect them to be happy making next to nothing for all the hard work. And you people are encouraging it? Ugh, disgusting. Wisen up a little bit and get a REAL job.
CKO

Mississippi State, MS

#110 Jan 8, 2008
I have been employed w/ DG since '03 while being a full-time college student. I started out as a clerk/cashier but now I am a 3-yr assistant manager for DG. I've had 3 store managers and probably seen over 30 different people work at my store.
I have been tempted to leave off-and-on for a year now because I can't understand what direction the company has.
My current manager helps me anyway possible with my balance of school and 35-40 hr of work.(SOME DG MANAGERS ARE BS AND SOME REALLY CARE AND WORK...IT SHOWS IN THE STORES)
My mgr went to the "mgr training school" and came back more confused than ever because most of the procedures the DM had taught were not done "The DG Way" (HOW CAN A COMPANY SURVIVE AND GROW WHEN THE DM'S AND TRAINERS ARE ON MARS AND JUPITER....ITS RIDICULOUS)
We NEVER had a camera...and believe me it would help stop A LOT of shrink...(ANOTHER STORE NEAR US HAS A CAMERA)
We have increased our sales from the previous year drastically however have hr cuts...WTF?
--THE REASON DG HAS PROBLEMS IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROMOTIONS FROM EMPLOYEES ALREADY WITH THE COMPANY--
HOWEVER....
I will say that DG I think is trying to get better.
1)Planner books- "because I get tired of DM's or RM's saying I don't like or understand this display/endcap"
2)Rolltainers- "not nearly as time consuming as rails and assembly lines"
3)Alpha/Out-of-Season mds- "thank god!"
AND I WILL SAY THAT DG IS PROBABLY THE BEST DOLLAR STORE TO WORK FOR.
So for that...your experience at DG depends on
1-your store manager's/DM's integrity
2-Onhand adjustments
3-efficiency of other employees work (because it takes some people "3 HOURS" to do 1 rolltainer)
4-Recovery (I don't know about anyone else but we are on a 5-dept. recovery process from 10 to 4 and
night recovery the rest of the day)
5-STOP COMPLAINING AND JUST WORK HARD ON ANY AND EVERYTHING...YOU WILL GET NOTICED BY SOMEBODY, WHETHER THAT BE A CUSTOMER OR A SCOUT FROM ANOTHER COMPANY...
Holly NHT PA

Greensburg, PA

#111 Jan 9, 2008
Our management team was a joke. My MGR. did nothing but sit in her office, stare at the same piece of paper for several hours.. all she did was talk on the company telephone to her mother, husband, daughter, son, and her best friend allllll day long. Did absolutely no stocking, oh I take that back when the candy bar order came in she SOMETIMES put that out. Between the assistant manager and I .. we had to do everything she didn't. Which was just about EVERYTHING. The assistant manager was paid 9 something after working for the company for 12 years. That's a bunch of bs. When she'd ask for her raise the half assed DM would tell her "I offerend you to be a manager and you didn't take it so you're stuck at where you're at because I can't afford you." I don't know about everyone else but this is what I had to deal with. The company is a joke and it infuriates me just thinking about it. Dollar General makes billions per year and spend as little as possible paying their employees whom make their profit. Nothing but a money making scheme. They laugh at all the dummies working for them while they ride on their jets coast to coast. It's ridiculous. I'm sorry I know this is how some of you make your living and good for you however, don't subject yourself to this. Everyone is better than that. MEXICANS probably get paid more for mowing a lawn than Dollar General's cashiers get paid. Nobody cares about you. Your manager appreciates you yeah. OKAY THAT'S BECAUSE THEY GOT A BONUS FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK WHILE THEY DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BUT SIT ON THEIR ASSES. That's horrible. The people doing the work should be the ones benifiting not them. It's a team effort and isn't treated as such. The DM's get bonuses for it and what do they do. They visit your store once every so often and say "oh I don't like this and I don't like that fix it blah blah blah" And their FANTASTIC ideas are to put TOASTER OVENS ABOVE HBA. Yeah, that's brilliant. It's a real sell! The company is screwed up and I am glad I am not part of the "family" any longer. Get out while you still can that place is a mess.
sam

AOL

#112 Jan 17, 2008
This the first time ever to post any where on the web yet after reading some of these post I feel the need to say I have been a store manager for the D.G. almost 2 years now and yes i agree we are under paid and worked hard yet I wont complain. For I owened my own grocery store for 10 years sold out when wal-mart moved in I later went to work as a asst mgr for wal mart for 9 years i lived in pure hell after 2 heart attacks and I knew if i wanted to live i would half to get out of the hell hole i was in. It was so bad that ever day when i got close to the front door of wal mart i would have chest pains and short of breath . now 2 years later at dg i have never felt better and yes there is stress but noting like i had to take at Wal Mart. Take it from me it is not a bad job if you want to work.
nan

Asheville, NC

#113 Jan 19, 2008
Hey here's an idea for you...we clean them and then get stuff we don't need and stuff that does not sell so where in the hell are we supposed to put it any suggestions from you because our dm and our rm don't have a clue.....
NO GOOD DG IN OKC

United States

#114 Jan 20, 2008
SPIDER125 wrote:
I THINK THAT THEY TREAT THERE MANAGERS THE SAME WAY THEY TREAT ALL THERE STORE EMPLOYEES.THEY WANT THERE MANAGERS TO WORK AS MANY HOURS AS THEY CAN GET IN A WEEK AND THEY WANT TO CUT THE OTHER EMPLOYEES DOWN 10 OR 15 HOURS A WEEK.
NO GOOD DG IN OKC

I WAS A MANAGER FOR SEVERAL YEARS IN OK. THEY CUT HOURS BACK SO FAR I WAS PUTTING IN 100+ HOURS A WEEK AND GETTING PAID FOR 40. DG TRULY SUCKS

Since: Sep 07

Fort Dodge, IA

#115 Jan 22, 2008
CKO wrote:
I have been employed w/ DG since '03 while being a full-time college student. I started out as a clerk/cashier but now I am a 3-yr assistant manager for DG. I've had 3 store managers and probably seen over 30 different people work at my store.
I have been tempted to leave off-and-on for a year now because I can't understand what direction the company has.
My current manager helps me anyway possible with my balance of school and 35-40 hr of work.(SOME DG MANAGERS ARE BS AND SOME REALLY CARE AND WORK...IT SHOWS IN THE STORES)
My mgr went to the "mgr training school" and came back more confused than ever because most of the procedures the DM had taught were not done "The DG Way" (HOW CAN A COMPANY SURVIVE AND GROW WHEN THE DM'S AND TRAINERS ARE ON MARS AND JUPITER....ITS RIDICULOUS)
We NEVER had a camera...and believe me it would help stop A LOT of shrink...(ANOTHER STORE NEAR US HAS A CAMERA)
We have increased our sales from the previous year drastically however have hr cuts...WTF?
--THE REASON DG HAS PROBLEMS IS BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE A LOT OF PROMOTIONS FROM EMPLOYEES ALREADY WITH THE COMPANY--
HOWEVER....
I will say that DG I think is trying to get better.
1)Planner books- "because I get tired of DM's or RM's saying I don't like or understand this display/endcap"
2)Rolltainers- "not nearly as time consuming as rails and assembly lines"
3)Alpha/Out-of-Season mds- "thank god!"
AND I WILL SAY THAT DG IS PROBABLY THE BEST DOLLAR STORE TO WORK FOR.
So for that...your experience at DG depends on
1-your store manager's/DM's integrity
2-Onhand adjustments
3-efficiency of other employees work (because it takes some people "3 HOURS" to do 1 rolltainer)
4-Recovery (I don't know about anyone else but we are on a 5-dept. recovery process from 10 to 4 and
night recovery the rest of the day)
5-STOP COMPLAINING AND JUST WORK HARD ON ANY AND EVERYTHING...YOU WILL GET NOTICED BY SOMEBODY, WHETHER THAT BE A CUSTOMER OR A SCOUT FROM ANOTHER COMPANY...
I compleatly agree with you on alot of your comments. I feel it's going to take awhile for all the kinks that usually come along with new ownership,are going to take awhile to work out,but eventually it'll be smooth running. Hour cuts are hard on everyone,especially managers who have to pick up the slack. I've been a manager for 4yrs now and what i learned in mgt.training was completly different than what an assistant manager of mine who moved up to management learned when she went just a year and a half later. I really think it would be a smart idea,and cause less confusion for seasoned managers,if DG would send out new/updated literature to us so we can all,new and old managers,can be on the same page. Or give us a refresher course. Something. I also agree that most stores need camera's or at the least mirrors to make it easier for the mngt.team to keep an eye on things. If DG is going to expect us to be mini cops then they need to assist all stores, not just the ones with high shrink. How did they get that way in the first place? Not enough monitoring ie.cameras/mirrors. Lets not all have to make it to that 3.0 or higher in shrink to get the help. Help us now and really save money in the long run DG. We at store level do our best to protect the company assests,now it's time to help yourselfs.
RENEE

Grovetown, GA

#116 Jan 22, 2008
ladyhawk wrote:
As A store manager of DG myself i find it degrading to hear other managers degrade the very company that believes enough in us to provide us an opportunity to better ourselves. i have been with the company almost three years and although i know its stressfull and time consuming its a fine job and i personally feel that its not the companies fault other managers haven't mastered the skill of delegating their responsibilities. If managed correctly, their payed well for the amount of work they do. its all about enjoying what you do and teamwork.
In regard to your comment,YOU are wrong!If you know anything about any kind of Job, or company, they don't care what happens to you, as long as you make them money, after 1o years with that Company, I learned that, Dont get up on a platform and act like a senator, giving a speech about managers should do this and that, Please Grow up in what we call the real world,you should not have to kill or shed blood to make a person money that will kill you in the end.I have run stores with good payrol control, excellent inventories, excellent customer service, clean and neat and well stocked stores, trained many managers to new stores, and at the same time been ask by millions of DM's, Regional's, Divisional's to fire pregant women because they make the company look bad, or they may slow down,or someone that got injured on the job and it was not their fault,because it cost them money, it happens in every state of this company, grow up and wake up, and smell the cup of life ....
Shelbyville KY

Louisville, KY

#117 Jan 27, 2008
I have worked with DG off and on since around 1990. I started out in corporate and have since worked at three other DG retail stores. I had the chance to meet Cal Turner Sr. He was a WONDERFUL man! He cared about the employees as if they were truly family. His son made it clear he did not see any of us as family though at that time. Things got horrible when Sr. passed. I now have a pending hearing in May 2008 against the company and my old manager. I have a memo book full of illegal things she and the DM both did to the employees and violations of company "code". They DO hire family but just use "sneaky" ways to do it! I have a sister and half brother at my store now! MY ex-manager and ex-am live together too. They do discriminate against blacks and the disabled just ask the 3rd key in Eminence, KY store 345! They do lie to you about promotions/pay (they currently offered me a manager in training position with ONE DOLLAR an hour more than a third key). Furthermore, they deserve to be sued to high heaven because even if you report the problems to ERC, they don't do anything about it!!!!!!! I'd be glad to join a lawsuit if I knew of one.(If the EEOC says I have cause in May, I WILL DO JUST THAT!) I don't care if they try to make it harder on me thatn they are trying to do now....someone has to stand up for what's right!
DG Assistant mgr

Suwanee, GA

#118 Jan 27, 2008
They're gonna have another lawsuit on their hands with the decisions they are making to write up all store employees with basket size discrepancies. Not everyone with a lower basket size is stealing or sliding mdse. My store is in a small town in a low income area and you can't make people buy more than they want just because you need a bigger basket size. There is so much to say about this BS that I would need several days to write it all down. Please post and let me and everyone else know if you are having problems with getting write ups for basket size. I'm sort of taking an informal poll about how seriously each district takes basket size differences.
done wrong in tatum texas

Tatum, TX

#119 Jan 27, 2008
I know if my ex dm read this she will know exactly who I am.
I opened a new store in Tatum 2 1/2 yrs ago.
The two dm's i had were great until I got a new dm she didnt like me from the start, no matter what i did. I had the best looking store in the district and our customer service was outstanding, the only thing I had some dishonest employees, I had money coming up missing so i made a call to dm and lp to let them know that something was wrong, oh boy she seen her chance. I had the recording system dvr so she seen where i was sitting in my office with the door open and doing paperwork, that was her and lp's reason for firing me. They did have a employee admit to the theft. I later talk to dm on phone, "you know you could have saved my job, so why didnt you"
her answer was you know ---- I could have but I didnt want to, she gave the job to a friend of hers that needed a store just what she wanted, she didnt like the fact that i was hired as a store manager and was offered the dm position but didnt want it then they offered it to her,
there has been several managers there since and guess what there is a man there now, he left walmart as a co-manager ????
wonder what he is making? I left making 519.00 a week and working 48 hrs.
now at walgreens making 3x that and only 44hrs
at an asssitant manager.
ManageratDG

AOL

#120 Jan 28, 2008
You must be joking, Walgreens doesn't pay that much unless you are a seasoned head manager of many years in a high volume store or a Pharmacist starting out. What a joke...I worked there 13 years, so I know what they pay. I get much more respect at Dollar General as a Manager from the DM and above, work less hours, and have a much more comfortable environment to work in. I'm sorry you had a bad experience but I have seen a great change in this company since I started and I can see it continuing in the future.
done wrong in tatum texas wrote:
I know if my ex dm read this she will know exactly who I am.
I opened a new store in Tatum 2 1/2 yrs ago.
The two dm's i had were great until I got a new dm she didnt like me from the start, no matter what i did. I had the best looking store in the district and our customer service was outstanding, the only thing I had some dishonest employees, I had money coming up missing so i made a call to dm and lp to let them know that something was wrong, oh boy she seen her chance. I had the recording system dvr so she seen where i was sitting in my office with the door open and doing paperwork, that was her and lp's reason for firing me. They did have a employee admit to the theft. I later talk to dm on phone, "you know you could have saved my job, so why didnt you"
her answer was you know ---- I could have but I didnt want to, she gave the job to a friend of hers that needed a store just what she wanted, she didnt like the fact that i was hired as a store manager and was offered the dm position but didnt want it then they offered it to her,
there has been several managers there since and guess what there is a man there now, he left walmart as a co-manager ????
wonder what he is making? I left making 519.00 a week and working 48 hrs.
now at walgreens making 3x that and only 44hrs
at an asssitant manager.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dollar General Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dollar General "managers" who can't manage anyt... Aug 29 really 5
Analyst: Odds of Dollar General bid for Family ... Aug 14 nofoolnomore 1
DG isn't all it's cracked up to be (Jan '08) Aug 14 nofoolnomore 15
expectation 8 Aug 6 Anonymous 1
Want Extra Incoming !? Jul '14 Project PayDay 1
Dollar General E-mail Jul '14 Kiki 1
DG Cashiers and keyholders always get screwed! (Jan '09) Jul '14 nofoolnomore 64
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Dollar General People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••