In California, Amazon Pushes Hard to Kill a Tax

Sep 4, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: HeraldTribune.com

The struggling state of California thinks it has found gold in taxing e-commerce. But that money is proving much more elusive than it seemed just a few months ago.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Boardwatch

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2011

Here we go again.....

State Representatives driving yet more companies our of the state. The article is interesting as it highlights the companies who are making plans to move to Nevada as soon as California passes this law. Amazon has even proposed to the State that if they drop this legislation, Amazon will move into California and hire about 7000 new employees and start up warehouses.

What a shame.... More California jobs and money leaving the state because Lawmakers don't understand economics.

California is on the way to state bankruptcy. Don't they realize that more employed Californians increase the tax base, and more unemployed reduce it.(Simple economics)
cwsculptor

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 5, 2011

If Amazon were to move into CA, they would have a presence here and therefore be subject to collecting the tax from CA buyers. So it would not make sense for them to move here were the legislation dropped.
I suggest this is just someone's pipe dream.
Boardwatch

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2011

cwsculptor wrote:
If Amazon were to move into CA, they would have a presence here and therefore be subject to collecting the tax from CA buyers. So it would not make sense for them to move here were the legislation dropped.
I suggest this is just someone's pipe dream.
Then let the businesses flee along with the jobs....

I order things off the internet all the time. My recent purchase was over $2500. If I had to add tax to it, I would buy it from the one who had the lowest price.(Another State) thereby adding to that states economy instead of my own.

Again - Plain & Simple Economics

Amazon gets it and that is why Amazon is not going broke. Can you say the same for the California Treasury..?

Businesses are not the Big evil thing that liberals try and tell you. Businesses are what allow your children to go to college (unless you are an illegal in CA), and put food on your table and allow you to buy a house.

You have to sell your state to businesses as the best option to locate there. You give businesses incentives to provide your citizens with jobs, not punish them for it.
Checkpoint3

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 6, 2011

Judged:

Trust a politician to make decisions about taxes and the economy and you might as well put a bullet in your head. Be very careful who you vote for because history has proven time and again that voters are extremely gullible when it comes to sweet talk and empty promises.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 4 of4
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••