Fired teacher Freshwater can't sue school board's lawyer, judge...

A federal judge in Ohio has sided with a lawyer who said he should not be sued by a teacher accused of burning the image of a cross on a student's arm. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Some guy

Columbus, OH

#1 Apr 8, 2010
Freshwater clearly doesn't understand how the world works, on so many levels.
New Yorker

New York, NY

#2 Apr 8, 2010
This is the kind of stuff that you encounter in such diminutive communities like Columbus, OH. In New York, these small town, right-wing god hounds do not exist. My children would never be exposed to such gun-toting, militia-inspired rhetoric that is spewed by Ohio - or for that matter - midwestern schools! You people need to send this "educator" back to his $250M shanty baracade it from you children!
Reader

Columbus, OH

#3 Apr 8, 2010
New Yorker wrote:
This is the kind of stuff that you encounter in such diminutive communities like Columbus, OH. In New York, these small town, right-wing god hounds do not exist. My children would never be exposed to such gun-toting, militia-inspired rhetoric that is spewed by Ohio - or for that matter - midwestern schools! You people need to send this "educator" back to his $250M shanty baracade it from you children!
Just gotta point out--Mount Vernon ain't Columbus. But thanks for the view from the Big Apple, anyway.
Good Grief

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 8, 2010
It "ain't" Columbus but it was a fine little town until the fundies moved in.
DMR

Kingston, TN

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Freshwater still does not understand the concept of he lost. His conduct was found inappropriate and he lost his job. I suppose in his filing, Freshwater is also screaming the law under which he lost his job was unconstitutional. That would start to sound rather familiar.
Sam

Columbus, OH

#6 Apr 8, 2010
New Yorker wrote:
Columbus is not Mount Vernon, Mr. Obviously an east coast bias that brushes off anything Ohio is right wing, gun-toting, & religiously militant. If Mr. Freshwater is falsely accused because he is simply a Christan teacher, Ohio isn't so right-wing anymore, is it?
My Opinion

Columbus, OH

#7 Apr 8, 2010
I wish this crap would just fade away already. Isn't there something better to report on then this. He got fired, it's over. He needs to move on. No one likes the state involved in the religion arena and therefore, religion shouldn't be involved in state arena like schools. If he wanted to preach go get a job at a church school, not a public one.
BuckeyeRon

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 8, 2010
Bringing suit against any lawyer for representing any particular client is nothing but a bullying tactic intended to deprive individuals or groups of competent representation. Judge Frost was entirely correct in dismissal of the lawyer as a defendant. The right to representation by counsel is preserved against those who would destroy it.
Jay

Columbus, OH

#9 Apr 8, 2010
I can't believe they are letting this idiot keep wasting tax dollars on foolish trials. I hope the school district counter sues him and takes him for everything he has.
Facts

Columbus, OH

#10 Apr 8, 2010
Freshwater and his attorney should have their heads examined to see if everything is there that should be. Freshwater is a certified nut case and to think that he might be teaching out children "science" makes me want to puke. What a waste of taxpayer money....having hired him as a teacher and now in trying to get rid of the moron.
Facts

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 8, 2010
New Yorker wrote:
Well, we do have idiots like Freshwater that we have to deal with......mostly a problem because of the power of teacher unions and their anti-education efforts--they are only concerned with teachers and their pay and benefits. BUT having said that, we aren't as bad a New York where they pay worthless teachers to sit in "rubber rooms" and get paid full pay and benefits for doing absoultely nothing. Your unions are possibly worse than ours here in Ohio. But then, heck, maybe we would be better off paying the moron Freshwater full pay and benefits than trying to get rid of the incompetent fool since that is such an expensive process. What we need to do is get rid of the teachers' unions.
Buckeye Bill

United States

#12 Apr 8, 2010
New Yorker wrote:
Well then stay in that roach (insect and human) infested area, Probably a Spitzer supporter.
Jerry

Cleveland, OH

#13 Apr 8, 2010
How about this guy and Dave Daubenmire start a church somewhere outside Ohio and leave us Ohioans and our tax dollars alone?
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Columbus is not Mount Vernon, Mr. Obviously an east coast bias that brushes off anything Ohio is right wing, gun-toting, & religiously militant. If Mr. Freshwater is falsely accused because he is simply a Christan teacher, Ohio isn't so right-wing anymore, is it?
Ohio is no more right wing than parts of rural NY state. The poster is an ass.
East Sider

United States

#16 Apr 8, 2010
Jerry wrote:
How about this guy and Dave Daubenmire start a church somewhere outside Ohio and leave us Ohioans and our tax dollars alone?
Oh I agree!!
ohio lawyer

Columbus, OH

#17 Apr 8, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
Bringing suit against any lawyer for representing any particular client is nothing but a bullying tactic intended to deprive individuals or groups of competent representation. Judge Frost was entirely correct in dismissal of the lawyer as a defendant. The right to representation by counsel is preserved against those who would destroy it.
I hope Frost sanctions him and makes him pay attorney fees and costs.
Will

Columbus, OH

#18 Apr 8, 2010
ohio lawyer wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Pompous Moron,
1. Freshwater taught in rural Ohio, not in Columbus.
2. New York state has small towns too.
Go f yourself.
I couldn't have said it better myself
Reader

Columbus, OH

#19 Apr 8, 2010
Sam wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummmm, the evidence seems to say otherwise. Unless it is common practice for Jewish teachers to burn the Star of David onto student's arms. Mr. Freshwater was in the wrong--regardless of his religious persuasion.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#20 Apr 8, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
Where did Freshwater find an attorney willing to file such a thing? Liberty Counsel?

Since: Aug 08

Mount Vernon, OH

#21 Apr 8, 2010
My Opinion wrote:
I wish this crap would just fade away already. Isn't there something better to report on then this. He got fired, it's over. He needs to move on. No one likes the state involved in the religion arena and therefore, religion shouldn't be involved in state arena like schools. If he wanted to preach go get a job at a church school, not a public one.
Freshwater has not been fired--he was placed on unpaid leave back in the summer of 2008. The hearing is still in progress. It is possible that Freshwater will be reinstated as a teacher.

A Bible sitting on a teacher's desk is not an act of teaching his religious beliefs to the students. The Mount Vernon City Schools has even acknowledged that another teacher may keep a Bible on her desk.(See my article "'Bible on the Desk' Teacher Was Singled Out, Witness Says.")

http://www.accountabilityinthemedia.com/2009/...

As John Freshwater pointed out in his recent testimony, the master contract states—"Article 4: Teaching Conditions: Individual Rights"--"The Board fully recognizes all personal rights and freedoms granted to teachers by the Constitution and the laws of the State of Ohio and the United States, and will abide by all laws that pertain to the teachers it employs. Further, the Board recognizes that teachers have the right to engage in a variety of personal activities and the Board will not take disciplinary action against a teacher unless a teacher's personal activities interfere with the teacher’s performance of his/her contractual duties." Freshwater stated that his beliefs did not interfere with his performance of his duties; he did his job, a very good job--look at his students' OAT scores.(See my article "Missing Evidence in John Freshwater Hearing.")

http://www.accountabilityinthemedia.com/2010/...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 1 hr Big Papa Tea 300
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 2 hr Big Papa Tea 40
Censoring Male. 2 hr Big Papa Tea 30
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 3 hr Pale Rider 4,813
Public Flogging 4 hr Crime 30
End of Life on Earth 5 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 9
Groid gubbamint 6 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web