Textbook jungle

Full story: Columbus Dispatch
Julianne Rutt wrestles with stocking shelves at the warehouse of Internet textbook seller TextbooksRus.com, one of many companies crowding the growing online marketplace. Full Story
Chuck

AOL

#1 Jul 8, 2009
The reselling of college textbooks is nothing short of criminal. When I went to OSU many years ago, the OSU bookstore would give me a pittance for my used books and then resell them for 10 times what they gave me. This was many years before the internet. If I were going to college now I wouldn't go near the SBX or the OSU Bookstore. They should be ashamed.
Complicated World

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 8, 2009
The textbook world is even more complex. Yet another company came to OSU last quarter with a drive through book buy-back service ( http://dltj.org/article/drivethru-textbook-bu... ) The used textbook market is part of a vicious cycle that is forcing publishers to charge more for first copies of books in order to recover their costs. A better way has to be found.
Susan

United States

#3 Jul 8, 2009
Would you rather students buy books and then get nothing in return? Publishers will never offer books at a low enough price that will make removing buy-back services beneficial to students.
Complicated World wrote:
The textbook world is even more complex. Yet another company came to OSU last quarter with a drive through book buy-back service ( http://dltj.org/article/drivethru-textbook-bu... ) The used textbook market is part of a vicious cycle that is forcing publishers to charge more for first copies of books in order to recover their costs. A better way has to be found.
Complicated World

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 8, 2009
If a mechanism was found to charge for course materials that is less than the upfront cost minus the buyback cost (e.g. even after the buyback the materials themselves cost less), then yes I think students would buy the materials expecting to get nothing back in return.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Roosevelts: An Intimate History 30 min Duke for Mayor 4
ISIS recruiting women from America 36 min Chucky Darwin 26
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 48 min Pope Che Reagan C... 31,026
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Go Blue Forever 3,325
Two Columbus lawyers face misconduct charges 1 hr tranpsosition 9
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 2 hr Amanda 934
where is George of Hilliard? 8 hr RU_Kiddingme 32
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) Wed Statetheobvious 2,431
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus