Patrol dropped ball in criminal probe, Ohio inspector general s...

The State Highway Patrol failed to pursue a criminal investigation of a paving contractor who allegedly committed fraud and then suggested a scheme to cover up his actions, according to an investigation released this afternoon. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Clark W Griswold

Columbus, OH

#1 Jan 14, 2010
It's just one thing after another within the ranks of the OSHP...
Fed Up

Chillicothe, OH

#2 Jan 14, 2010
How does a guy like this get promoted to the highest rank with the Highway Patrol. I always believed you got punished for breaking the law, not rewarded. The OSP is suffering a horrible public relations problem and it needs to change.
gndhog

Columbus, OH

#3 Jan 14, 2010
That happens all the time! Look at the Mechanical Engineering buliding at The Ohio State University. Particularly the landscape bid that was awarded. No body did anything about it at the University level or the State of Ohio level!
Maverick

United States

#4 Jan 14, 2010
To me, the fault lies, again, with Guzman. As head of DPS, he made the call. Why isn't Guzman being prosecuted over this as well as the BMV fiasco? Friend of the Ted ??????
JoeBloe

Columbus, OH

#5 Jan 14, 2010
Time for Tom Charles to go. This is all about using his office for revenge. He submitted his wife's name, Bridget Charles, to the Governor's office as a nominee to be appointed head of the SHP. Well, she didn't make the short list and he's PO'd.

Get out now Charles.
Rockne

United States

#6 Jan 14, 2010
Time to abolish the OSHP. Let's save the hundreds of millions and turn its functions over to local law enforcement.
Thinker

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Jan 14, 2010
It just keeps getting worse for the Patrol.
Buford

Tampa, FL

#8 Jan 14, 2010
OHP used to be a dignified and respected organization. Now it's a bunch of political hacks and jack booted thugs who think their job is to harass our citizens. Away with them.
ic3qb

Marysville, OH

#9 Jan 14, 2010
The men and women of the Highway Patrol don't deserve this. This Stickland administration has demonstrated poor leadership time and time again, by putting Guzman and Collins-Taylor in a position they know nothing about. Richard Collins was a poor choice to lead the Highway Patrol. It appears David Dicken will be a poor choice as well. When will this nightmare end?
ic3qb

Marysville, OH

#10 Jan 14, 2010
Rockne wrote:
Time to abolish the OSHP. Let's save the hundreds of millions and turn its functions over to local law enforcement.
Lets face it, local law enforcement isn't showing they are much better. Acts of domestic violence, fraud, robbery, excessive used of force. Even the Lucas County Sheriff is under a federal indictment. That's just the tip of the iceberg.
Rachel

Saint Charles, IL

#11 Jan 14, 2010
I'm confused. Why does the state get to tell you that you have to use a minority or distressed firm to do the job? Shouldn't you be able to choose whatever firm you think is best??
frustrated

Columbus, OH

#12 Jan 14, 2010
Buford wrote:
OHP used to be a dignified and respected organization. Now it's a bunch of political hacks and jack booted thugs who think their job is to harass our citizens. Away with them.
As a member of the patrol for almost 15 years it gets frustrating reading this crap all the time!! But I'll have you know that the vast majority of us are not "jack booted thugs"! Most of us believe in the job we are doing and the lives we are saving! This political crap has got to stop it is making all of us look bad!!
You must be joking

Springboro, OH

#13 Jan 14, 2010
Rockne wrote:
At least with the State Highway Patrol, you can have the Inspector General review their actions. If this were local law enforcement, no one would know about anything. No one is reviewing the actions of local law enforcement. As a citizen, you have nowhere to turn but internal affairs. Well, that sounds like you should get things cleared up right away!
jobo42

United States

#14 Jan 14, 2010
If there were such a thing as justice in Ohio, they would all be standing
before a judge.
Disgusted Taxpayer

Columbus, OH

#16 Jan 14, 2010
JoeBloe wrote:
Time for Tom Charles to go. This is all about using his office for revenge. He submitted his wife's name, Bridget Charles, to the Governor's office as a nominee to be appointed head of the SHP. Well, she didn't make the short list and he's PO'd.
Get out now Charles.
I beleive you may have hit the nail on the head! They should have appointed Jeff Dickey Superintendent. He was the only one with an absolutely clean deportment record.
Disgusted Taxpayer

Columbus, OH

#17 Jan 14, 2010
Rachel wrote:
I'm confused. Why does the state get to tell you that you have to use a minority or distressed firm to do the job? Shouldn't you be able to choose whatever firm you think is best??
No, the law dates back to affrimative action and EEOC minority set aside contracts. The legislators enact these biased laws and the courts uphold them.
Worn Out

Athens, OH

#18 Jan 14, 2010
This sounds familiar, "Ludlow and Nash" kind of like "Frick and Frack".
If they did something criminal Mr Charles, why didn't you push to prosecute them then? My guess is that there are two key words in your report that needs emphasized that hindered the forward movement in the prosecution, "suggests and may".(Lack of evidence maybe) Why bring this up now?? Let me take a stab at it, You Sir are a sore loser!!
People reading this, how would you like to be brought up on charges with the prosecutions opening statement containing the words, "suggests and may"? I say bring it on, you will most likely come out the victor!!
Get over it Randy, Jim and Tom you will feel much better about yourself.
MK82LALD

Circleville, OH

#19 Jan 14, 2010
You must be joking wrote:
<quoted text>
At least with the State Highway Patrol, you can have the Inspector General review their actions. If this were local law enforcement, no one would know about anything. No one is reviewing the actions of local law enforcement. As a citizen, you have nowhere to turn but internal affairs. Well, that sounds like you should get things cleared up right away!
Rubbish. Local law enforcement is largely accountable to a mayor or sheriff, both of whom are elected locally. Is there corruption at local police levels? Of course, but local citizenry has a much better chance of controlling their police forces at the local level than at the state level.

The corruption that is happening at the Highway Patrol is what one would expect from a large, state-controlled paramilitary organization that bestows upon itself military rank, titles and honors, arms itself to the teeth, and has very little to no civilian oversight. There is a reason why the US has (had?) a tradition of aversion to centralized police; it leads to this sort of crap. Cops are civilians. When they start viewing themselves as "troopers", lead by a "Colonel", and above local law enforcement, there is always going to be trouble like this.

The OSHP needs to be abolished and all of its personnel and funds equally distributed to local law enforcement agencies. The state of Ohio doesn't need an army. That's what the real military is for (including the National Guard and reserves.)

And no, I've never been arrested, and I haven't gotten a ticket in over 30 years.
grayghost

Lancaster, OH

#20 Jan 14, 2010
Amen, Worn Out!! A bunch of sore losers. Let's get behind the new Superintendent and give him a chance to clean up the MESS that was left behind!!
grayghost

Lancaster, OH

#21 Jan 14, 2010
MK82LALD wrote:
<quoted text>
Rubbish. Local law enforcement is largely accountable to a mayor or sheriff, both of whom are elected locally. Is there corruption at local police levels? Of course, but local citizenry has a much better chance of controlling their police forces at the local level than at the state level.
The corruption that is happening at the Highway Patrol is what one would expect from a large, state-controlled paramilitary organization that bestows upon itself military rank, titles and honors, arms itself to the teeth, and has very little to no civilian oversight. There is a reason why the US has (had?) a tradition of aversion to centralized police; it leads to this sort of crap. Cops are civilians. When they start viewing themselves as "troopers", lead by a "Colonel", and above local law enforcement, there is always going to be trouble like this.
The OSHP needs to be abolished and all of its personnel and funds equally distributed to local law enforcement agencies. The state of Ohio doesn't need an army. That's what the real military is for (including the National Guard and reserves.)
And no, I've never been arrested, and I haven't gotten a ticket in over 30 years.
You would not happen to be a Local PD or SO wanting all that money.....would you??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autism/asperger questions 1 hr Big Johnson 12
Obama proudly kisses and hugs EBOLA staff 8 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Ebolapalooza 10 hr Zombie Corpse Rental 4
Lawyer booked on charges he stole from guardian... 10 hr Silna 14
Dewine putting campaign cash in own account! 10 hr Iknow 5
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 10 hr Neutral Party 3,944
Obama To Bring Non-American Ebola Victims To U.... 10 hr d pantz 5
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]