Freeways Closed By Early Morning Crashes | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio ...

Full story: 10TV WBNS 20
Two major freeways were shut down early Monday morning by crashes involving tractor-trailers. The eastbound lanes of I-670 at Neil Avenue were closed at about 4 a.m., after a rig jackknifed and crashed, 10TV News reported. Full Story
Trace Brumfield

Columbus, OH

#1 Sep 27, 2010
This is what almost made me late for work! People if it's rainy,slow down around that curve or this is what will happen everytime!
A little rain

Columbus, OH

#3 Sep 27, 2010
Why is Columbus the only place I lived where if the day isn't sunny and the birds are singing, that people have the inability to drive in anything than a clear sunny day.
Are you kidding me

Columbus, OH

#5 Sep 27, 2010
A little rain - they even screw on sunny days around here.
Tee

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 27, 2010
Has anyone noticed since the speed limit was increase for big trucks they are always crashing and shutting down our roads???
BOO

Columbus, OH

#7 Sep 27, 2010
Its only rain people. Happens all the time. Why is it so hard to drive in? Slow down and get off the cell phones! I am so glad I don't have to drive the freeways.
wake up

Columbus, OH

#8 Sep 27, 2010
Moe Feen wrote:
Where are the truckers explaining it's not their fault that there three truck crashes.
I have always said - Columbus is one of the few cities where these trucks are not made to use the outerbelt always.(Of course unless the have drops downtown - most don't) Our freeways in this city are old, tight and were not build for these big trucks to go through these tight lanes!

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#9 Sep 27, 2010
Yup, semi drivers are the best in the world, huh?

“Learn to think for yourselves!”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#10 Sep 27, 2010
anyone else noticing the rise in semi accidents since they can now go 65? Seems like theres a wreck reported every week now. I'd bet these accidents had nothing to do with rain and all to do with speed and carelessness. The time of morning these happened is when most truckers try to speed on through SLOWOHIO
as they put it

Since: Aug 10

Navarre, FL

#12 Sep 27, 2010
As a truck driver, I just love how everyone is in such a rush to blame the truck driver. I have driven over 600,000 miles nationwide and let me tell you, more times than not, its a person driving a car that causes these accidents. I personally feel that when people get their license they should have to take a course on driving around semis. Futhermore, I would like to take people on a ride in my rig just so they can see how careless people in cars are. It would give you a better understanding of what we deal with on a daily basis. The strict federal, state and local laws we deal with would also give you better understanding. Take some time, sit down and read thru the FMCSA ( Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations).Read all 700 pages of federal rules that are implimented for trucks.
Truth matters

Columbus, OH

#13 Sep 27, 2010
wake up wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always said - Columbus is one of the few cities where these trucks are not made to use the outerbelt always.(Of course unless the have drops downtown - most don't) Our freeways in this city are old, tight and were not build for these big trucks to go through these tight lanes!
What planet did u come from ? Atlanta is one of the few that require commercial trucks to use the bypass routes. The exception is Hazmat carriers where all must bypass except for local deliveries.

In addressing the accidents themselves... you get what u pay for. Truck Drivers haven't seen a decent pay increase in more that two decades. Not all, but many of the real professional drivers that cared about common courtesy, maintaining a good following distance, and other safety issues have gotton off the road, including myself.

In short, Trucking companies will hire any warm body with a CDL, put them through a rigorous 3 day safety orientation, usually including a free lunch, as cheap as they can make it, and then send them out on the road expecting unrealistic delivery schedules, taking shortcuts on truck maintenance, all while legally stealing from the drivers paychecks.

Be forewarned, even though there are some real pros out there still, if you are driving around big trucks, stay alert yourself, and make sure he/she can see you, and is paying attention to their driving. If they are having trouble maintaning their lane, or if something doesn't look right with the truck, eg.air lines are dragging on the ground, Stay clear !!!

Since: Aug 10

Navarre, FL

#14 Sep 27, 2010
Truth matters wrote:
<quoted text>
What planet did u come from ? Atlanta is one of the few that require commercial trucks to use the bypass routes. The exception is Hazmat carriers where all must bypass except for local deliveries.
In addressing the accidents themselves... you get what u pay for. Truck Drivers haven't seen a decent pay increase in more that two decades. Not all, but many of the real professional drivers that cared about common courtesy, maintaining a good following distance, and other safety issues have gotton off the road, including myself.
In short, Trucking companies will hire any warm body with a CDL, put them through a rigorous 3 day safety orientation, usually including a free lunch, as cheap as they can make it, and then send them out on the road expecting unrealistic delivery schedules, taking shortcuts on truck maintenance, all while legally stealing from the drivers paychecks.
Be forewarned, even though there are some real pros out there still, if you are driving around big trucks, stay alert yourself, and make sure he/she can see you, and is paying attention to their driving. If they are having trouble maintaning their lane, or if something doesn't look right with the truck, eg.air lines are dragging on the ground, Stay clear !!!
Very well said. The accident on 670 that is a C.R. England truck. By far the worst company anyone could ever drive for. Based out of Salt Lake City. They are the most back stabbing company ever. I know I started with them. As far as the pay issue, yes truckers deserve more than just getting paid by the mile. the more expirence you have the better the pay.

What pains me the most.. how people moan and groan about truckers. People just don't take the time to realize that we as truckers are the backbone of this country. Without us making those deliveries for the stuff that so many people want or need. Can you only imagine the price of stuff if it were not so readily available for the shelf. Wake up America, respect the driver, without us there is no food on your table or clothes on your back.
Phil

Rancho Cordova, CA

#15 Sep 27, 2010
I hope these drivers were fined heavily. This caused such a headache for commuters trying to get to work. I leave every morning giving myself over 30 min leeway and that was almost not enough time to get to my employment.
BuckI

Columbus, OH

#16 Sep 27, 2010
I'm old enough to remember when truckers were considered the "knights of the highway." Now, more likely than not, they're doped up, behind schedule, and throwing trash out the windows. I've seen cars do stupid things to rigs, but I've also seen big rigs drive down freeways as if they were in NASCAR cars. They shouldn't be allowed through downtown unless they have a pickup/delivery downtown.

Oh yeah...and quit throwing bottles of pee in people's yards!!
honeybee

Galloway, OH

#17 Sep 27, 2010
I know that there are a very few good truck drivers out there so they are exempt from these comments, but for the most part, they drive recklessly and dangerously on our roadways in C-bus. Ever noticed how trucks veer into another lane to get womens' attention so they can "flirt?" Then, when there's an accident, its always some other driver's fault.
Stan Robinson

Temecula, CA

#18 Sep 27, 2010
I have been driving a truck for almost 3 years now and see plenty of blame to go around. Idiotic car drivers, truck drivers and highway designers. Right here in Columbus on the new 161 East exit from 270 Northbound, no yellow speed sign with a suggested or reccomended speed for the turn. All curves have a design speed, but it is seldom recognized in the one erected. Please cut the truck driver some slack. You don't know if he just woke up or is about to fall asleep. The schedule he is following is his company's, not his.
Stan Robinson

Temecula, CA

#19 Sep 27, 2010
Phil wrote:
I hope these drivers were fined heavily. This caused such a headache for commuters trying to get to work. I leave every morning giving myself over 30 min leeway and that was almost not enough time to get to my employment.
Are you automatically assuming it was the truck driver's fault???
Stan Robinson

Temecula, CA

#20 Sep 27, 2010
Where did common sense go wrote:
anyone else noticing the rise in semi accidents since they can now go 65? Seems like theres a wreck reported every week now. I'd bet these accidents had nothing to do with rain and all to do with speed and carelessness. The time of morning these happened is when most truckers try to speed on through SLOWOHIO
as they put it
The 65 limits were only raised out in the country on open roads, not always in congested areas, wehre the accidents usually occur.
ChrisS

Columbus, OH

#21 Sep 28, 2010
I remember a 60-Minutes episode from many years ago about trucks and truck drivers. They said to assume that the truck needs maintenance and the the driver is over worked.

This came from an investigation they had done into trucking practices. Those same condition exist today. I always give trucks PLENTY of room because of these probable issues.

Now on to the idiot drivers out there. Do you know how to pass a truck? Do you know the blind spots on a semi? Lots of trucks now have a nice sign on them that states, If you can't see me in my mirrors I can't see you! That is great advice.

The best things for a automobile driver to do around a truck are these.

First, STAY BACK! getting right up on the back end of a truck is idiotic. The driver will have no clue you are back there and that can lead to all kinds of problems. Do NOT hang in a drivers blind spot!!!

Two, When passing a truck do it quickly and safely. This means that once you get around a truck keep going until you can see BOTH of his headlights in your rear view mirror! Cutting over too soon is a great way to make a truck jackknife when the driver has to slam on the breaks.

Just those two things could help prevent many of the accidents that happen with semi trucks. Truck drivers also need to stop falsifying logs and get the rest required by law. They also need to pay attention to road conditions and drive accordingly. I know you have a deadline but don't make someone else DEAD trying to meet it. It is always a loosing proposition for the car in a Semi/Car accident. Can you live with that Mr. truck driver? Can you live with killing someone?
Stan Robinson

Irvine, CA

#22 Sep 28, 2010
ChrisS wrote:
I remember a 60-Minutes episode from many years ago about trucks and truck drivers. They said to assume that the truck needs maintenance and the the driver is over worked.
This came from an investigation they had done into trucking practices. Those same condition exist today. I always give trucks PLENTY of room because of these probable issues.
Now on to the idiot drivers out there. Do you know how to pass a truck? Do you know the blind spots on a semi? Lots of trucks now have a nice sign on them that states, If you can't see me in my mirrors I can't see you! That is great advice.
The best things for a automobile driver to do around a truck are these.
First, STAY BACK! getting right up on the back end of a truck is idiotic. The driver will have no clue you are back there and that can lead to all kinds of problems. Do NOT hang in a drivers blind spot!!!
Two, When passing a truck do it quickly and safely. This means that once you get around a truck keep going until you can see BOTH of his headlights in your rear view mirror! Cutting over too soon is a great way to make a truck jackknife when the driver has to slam on the breaks.
Just those two things could help prevent many of the accidents that happen with semi trucks. Truck drivers also need to stop falsifying logs and get the rest required by law. They also need to pay attention to road conditions and drive accordingly. I know you have a deadline but don't make someone else DEAD trying to meet it. It is always a loosing proposition for the car in a Semi/Car accident. Can you live with that Mr. truck driver? Can you live with killing someone?
Very good advice, Chris. Don't forget the cell phones on the entrance ramps. And no, I don't think I would live very well if I killed someone, my fault or theirs. And by the way, log books are a joke. My biggest issue is switching day & night shifts. I may be legal but certainly not awake.
ChrisS

Columbus, OH

#23 Sep 28, 2010
100% agree Stan, shift switching is DANGEROUS! More so even that texting or talking on a cell phone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 3 min d pantz 123
Jury returns guilty verdict in gang-related sla... 12 min Sterkfontein Swar... 2
Illegal Immigrants On NC Voter Rolls 52 min They cannot kill ... 3
City to consider measures to reduce plastic bag... 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Weinlard Park residents show neighborhood pride... 2 hr Big Johnson 1
Snapchat 2 hr Big Johnson 5
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr scirocco 3,970
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]