Former Binghamton University president returns to serve interim role

May 21, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Star-Gazette.COM

A former Binghamton University president, C. Peter Magrath, has been nominated by SUNY Chancellor Nancy Zimpher to be interim president of the university.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Just Saying

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

He left SUNY Binghamton in 1974, just when I was starting my freshman year there. He was well liked then, but will have his hands full dealing with the mess left behind by the outgoing president, including the move from NCAA Division III to I, and the scandals with the basketball team, as well as other problems he'll inherit. Binghamton was and is a great academic school, and that should remain it's top priority.
end the hate

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Just Saying wrote:
He left SUNY Binghamton in 1974, just when I was starting my freshman year there. He was well liked then, but will have his hands full dealing with the mess left behind by the outgoing president, including the move from NCAA Division III to I, and the scandals with the basketball team, as well as other problems he'll inherit. Binghamton was and is a great academic school, and that should remain it's top priority.
I visited a friend there last weekend, she was graduating. It looks like a nice school, the dorm rooms are cute.
Just Saying

Fredericksburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2010

Judged:

end the hate wrote:
<quoted text>
I visited a friend there last weekend, she was graduating. It looks like a nice school, the dorm rooms are cute.
I really enjoyed my time there, and received a good education as well. Although it's still a very good school, and highly rated, I just think it lost something when the outgoing president decided to elevate it's sports program as much as she did, which led to a number of problems.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Judged:

Well maybe there will be some progress halting the nastiness on campus. They have halted all recruiting for sororities and fraternities because people outside of the campus were getting wind of the hazing and maltreatment. They are making a lot of noise about having a tolerant campus because the outside community got wind of racisim on campus and they are knee deep in damage control. Next is to publicize the fact that they will now actually investigate instances of racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination on campus. That would be refreshing. Withholding review processes for those who request to file grievances is really horrible for those who had been treated poorly. It ruins morale. It speeds. If the administration can be encouraged to change the prevailing atmosphere maybe things will improve.
Xio Lee

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2012

Judged:

Just Saying wrote:
<quoted text>I really enjoyed my time there, and received a good education as well. Although it's still a very good school, and highly rated, I just think it lost something when the outgoing president decided to elevate it's sports program as much as she did, which led to a number of problems.
True, the focus shifted from academics to sports a few years ago. Don't forget the 6'8" basketball player who assaulted the young Jewish freshman and fled to Serbia (home court advantage).
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2012

Xio Lee wrote:
<quoted text>True, the focus shifted from academics to sports a few years ago. Don't forget the 6'8" basketball player who assaulted the young Jewish freshman and fled to Serbia (home court advantage).
Yes, that too was disgraceful, especially the way he fled back to Serbia like a coward to avoid prosecution.
Just Saying

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2012

post4all wrote:
Well maybe there will be some progress halting the nastiness on campus. They have halted all recruiting for sororities and fraternities because people outside of the campus were getting wind of the hazing and maltreatment. They are making a lot of noise about having a tolerant campus because the outside community got wind of racisim on campus and they are knee deep in damage control. Next is to publicize the fact that they will now actually investigate instances of racism, sexism and other forms of discrimination on campus. That would be refreshing. Withholding review processes for those who request to file grievances is really horrible for those who had been treated poorly. It ruins morale. It speeds. If the administration can be encouraged to change the prevailing atmosphere maybe things will improve.
When I was there in the 1970s there were no frats or sororoties on campus, just one "social club", Tau Alpha Upsilon I think it was called. They were a bunch of jocks, but never caused any trouble that I was aware of.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent University of Nebraska Lincoln Discussions

Search the University of Nebraska Lincoln Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Lost in sea of GOP? Here's our guide to the 201... Dec '13 New GOP Voter 1
Demi Lovato coming to Omaha (Oct '13) Oct '13 Demi Lovato 1
What is family? Study explores how children of ... (Aug '13) Sep '13 Ivorydick 5
Real-Life 'Lizard King' Named for Doors' Jim Mo... (Jun '13) Aug '13 randy hokin 2
More sex on college campuses? Not really, study... (Aug '13) Aug '13 Anu 1
GenreAutobiography & Memoir (May '13) May '13 Basil Muhammad 1
Entrepreneurial spirit thrives in New Hampshire (Oct '12) Dec '12 Staff in NH 5
•••
•••
•••
•••