Milky Way "Ringing Like A Bell" From 100 Million Year-Old Collision

Jul 10, 2012 Full story: The Escapist

Armed with ever-developing technology in a massive galaxy, it's no surprise that we're always discovering new tales from the history of our little corner of the universe.

Full Story

“Geologist [I'm Climate Change]”

Since: Mar 07

Nuneaton

#1 Jul 11, 2012
In a look over the stars seen in the Hipparcos data and a copy of the Sky catalogue 2000.0 I have found the same effect where ripples of gas and dust loop out of the midplane and back getting in the way of relatively distant <1000Pc blue stars in the nearby associations.

It appears that the ripple effect is a feature of gravitational interaction but may have a much more mundane cause. The likely culprit is the tidal interaction of the LMC & SMC galaxies which are massive enough to distort the gas & dust in the disc out of plane but not enough to produce a tidal tail because the bulk disc is far to massive.

The next question is how long the interaction between the LMC/SMC and milky way has been going on. From what I can see so far, the MW. has bypassed the Magellanic clouds, wrapped up the LMC barred spiral into a deinoflagellate shape, and turned the SMC into a tidal tail and is now dragging both galaxies behind us with both likely to fall back onto the disc in the future.

Be interesting to see.

Have a nice day: Ag

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

University of Kentucky Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Higher cost cigarettes, smoking bans advised in... Nov 24 Taajsgpm 9
Hacking group targets police website Nov 7 Erin 1
Trial Set For Murder Of Alex Johnson Oct 29 car mat 1
UK police using electric motorcycles (Sep '09) Oct '14 Tyler 6
Merle Norman opens boutique (Jul '09) Oct '14 Tyler 4
Lexington among top cities for retirees Oct '14 Pat 1
Stink bugs are entering homes Oct '14 silly rabbit 1

University of Kentucky People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE