Argentina: 3-month-old becomes country's first swine flu fatality

Full story: Newsday

Argentina's health minister says a 3-month-old infant has died of swine flu, the country's first fatality from the disease.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
poconoweeze

Kunkletown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2009

we can send men to the moon yet we can't develope a swine flu shoot. what the heck is going on here?
starlight

Saylorsburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

It takes a long time to develop a vaccine – at least six months.

They have to isolate the virus, grow it in a lab, develop a seed strain that will grow well enough to make candidate virus, give it to manufacturers who have to manipulate it for manufacturing, grow enough of the virus for manufacturing, inject it into chicken eggs, recover the virus, purify it, do clinical trails for effectiveness and safety, package the vaccine, then ship it to where ever it will be administered.

The entire process takes about six months if everything goes well – longer if the virus won’t grow well in the labs.

They won’t be able to make enough vaccine for everyone in the country within six months though – it may several months at least to make that much vaccine.

Because we have had no exposure to this virus before, most people will need two shots as well – probably given about three weeks apart. People over 60 or 65 may need only one shot.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 2 of2
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ocana, Colombia Discussions

Search the Ocana, Colombia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Argentine regions declare swine flu emergency (Jul '09) Jul '09 The Judge 2
•••
•••
•••
•••