Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

There are 20 comments on the Aug 4, 2010, www.cnn.com story titled Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage. In it, www.cnn.com reports that:

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.cnn.com.

“We're not all wierdos”

Since: May 12

London

#141052 May 13, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Let me continue your discussion of religion here Sly Clyde, thanks for asking. I don't think any religion should be used to Govern the people. In Iran they hang gays because of Sharia law. Now to your question Sly C: Don't judge the Muslims that you know by Islam and
don't judge Islam by the Muslims that you know. Islam is an ideology. No ideology is above critique, particularly one that explicitly seeks political and social dominance over every person on the planet. Let me be clear, I passionately believe that no Muslim should be harmed, harassed, stereotyped or treated any differently anywhere in the world solely on account of their status as a Muslim. Islam is not simply a belief about God. It is a word that means submission. Islam is a set of rules that define a social hierarchy in which Muslims submit to Allah, women submit to men and all non-Muslims submit to Islamic rule.
Since we don't live in a Muslim country - where censorship, intimidation and brute force are shamelessly employed to protect Islam from intellectual analysis - we are still free to openly exercise our right to debate the merits of the Islamic value system against Western Liberalism. By the same token, don't draw conclusions about the Muslims in your life based on the true nature of Islam. Like any other group, not all Muslims think alike. Even if there is no such thing as moderate Islam, it does not mean that there are no moderate Muslims. Every individual should be judged only on the basis of their own words and deeds.
let me tell u summat.der r ova 60 groups in islam and only about 7 practise islam correctly,so imagine how many ppl r practising islam contrary to their actual religion.so tyrants in islam who bomb up places,rape murder in da name of islam r actually gna get sin of wat dey do.so u have a point
RiccardoFire

Elk Grove, CA

#141053 May 13, 2012
The Great Sly_Clyde wrote:
<quoted text>In your own words, please tell me why the US was attacked on 9/11.
I'm waiting for "Bill of Wrongs" to give you the off topic foul. What a stupid question. lol...Let's see if Bill is a hypocrite.
RiccardoFire

Elk Grove, CA

#141054 May 13, 2012
<quoted text>
At least 132,000 civilians have died from 10 years of war in Iraq and Afghanistan, according to a new study by Brown university. And that’s a conservative estimate.
No one can say with certainty how many civilians have died in these wars. But researchers at Brown’s Watson Institute for International Studies found that between 12,000 and 14,000 of them perished in Afghanistan — the most recent of which came from Tuesday’s audacious insurgent attack on Kabul’s most famous hotel. Another 120,000 died in Iraq. An estimated 35,000 more lost their lives in Pakistan, where the United States is fighting a shadow war against terror groups and militants.(Although the report says it can’t “disaggregate civilian from combatant death” there, which is kind of a big deal.)
But even by the Institute’s own admission, the death toll is far higher. The Institute only counts direct violence that killed civilians — bombings, gunshot wounds, missile strikes, whatever. It doesn’t include indirect deaths, as occur when war creates refugees that can’t find food, clean water or adequate medical care. Nor does it include the lost limbs and emotional suffering that are a part of every war. Nor does it attempt to count civilian deaths in clandestine conflicts like Yemen or Somalia.
http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/06/afgha...
Over 2 million innocent people died in Vietnam after we left. Was that our fault too? Maybe the blame should go to the Governments there that look the other way like Pakistan saying they had no idea bin laden was there in that compound. lol...yeah, that's the ticket. The blame is not USA all the time.
RiccardoFire

Elk Grove, CA

#141055 May 13, 2012
pizzahater wrote:
<quoted text>let me tell u summat.der r ova 60 groups in islam and only about 7 practise islam correctly,so imagine how many ppl r practising islam contrary to their actual religion.so tyrants in islam who bomb up places,rape murder in da name of islam r actually gna get sin of wat dey do.so u have a point
who is practicing Islam correctly? Who decides

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#141056 May 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
And you had the nerve to accuse me of using emotional arguments?
That same sex marriage makes either a man or woman is disposable and the differences between man and woman aren't emotional arguments, they are based on the definition of same sex marriage and human nature.

Please try to keep up.
phaines

Big Bear Lake, CA

#141057 May 13, 2012
lol..

“Facts”

Since: May 08

Mexico

#141058 May 13, 2012
<quoted text>Yes and when Lincoln went to bat for the slaves it caused a civil war, in the end slavery was abolished. Golly it seems right does win out.
and when the b

“Facts”

Mexico

#141059 May 13, 2012
<quoted text>Yes and when Lincoln went to bat for the slaves it caused a civil war, in the end slavery was abolished. Golly it seems right does win out.
majority of Americans votes you back to the closet you will wish you had any civil rights

“Facts”

Mexico

#141060 May 13, 2012
<quoted text>I find that hard to believe. You see Mr Bigot in six states it very much law that Gay people can marry. Thus we have the exact problem that this thread pertains to. Once a right is granted to remove it based on sexuality( Homosexual vs Heterosexual) is called discrimination.
Oh and BTW shove yer bible up your love canal.
and the tide is changing against you

Just a few years ago we had one state with a ban and now we ha over 30

Yup........Times are a changing

“Facts”

Mexico

#141061 May 13, 2012
Dowid_L_Bronschtayn wrote:
<quoted text>That's silly: the legal existence of a right to free speech is not contradicted by the fact that some people can't talk (or write or gesture meaningfully). Rights still exist even if in potentia, because they are statements about State power, either as limits to State power (what the State may or may not with/for/to you) or as requirements of it (what the State must do for you); Heinlein's character's argument that the isolated man drowning in the middle of the ocean has no 'right to life' is categorically inept in the same way, as he is (presumably) beyond State power to effect his rescue.
As a matter of settled law, heterosexual couples, with very few exceptions (where 'few' refers to the fraction of people in the U.S. who are your parents or siblings) have a right to marry even if (e.g.) one of them were incarcerated.
they gay community turned down equal rights to pursue the changing of the word marriage and that has back fired

The vast majority can and will vote them back to the closet
Whack a Troll

Condon, OR

#141062 May 13, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
majority of Americans votes you back to the closet you will wish you had any civil rights
Mr. nOne promotes the Building of Nazi Style Concentration Camps for those who disobey him. The Crematorium are under construction.

Don't doubt it.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#141063 May 13, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>I doubt you can find too many killings here in the US that are the result of killing in the name of God. But plz try. Muslims have been killing each other since the beginning, Sunni vs shia. Who will win? Those dictators are the only ones that know how to control them, look at results, taking them out brings more chaos, are u crzy? Obama's huge mistake is taking out dictators. Now the Muslim brotherhood and other radical groups are taking control.
Excuse me? BUSH took out Sadam.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#141064 May 13, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
they gay community turned down equal rights to pursue the changing of the word marriage and that has back fired
Yeah..... right after we vote YOU nutjob of the century.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#141065 May 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text> That same sex marriage makes either a man or woman is disposable and the differences between man and woman aren't emotional arguments, they are based on the definition of same sex marriage and human nature.
Please try to keep up.
Honestly, Brian! How does same sex marriage make ANYONE disposable?? Don't you think that is an emotional argument? It certainly isn't factual. Do you have ANY idea how ridiculous you sound?

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#141066 May 13, 2012
WHY VOTE wrote:
Ok, I don't really care if same sex people get married or are together in any capacity. I am for equal rights BUT.......... I am very annoyed that peoples votes don't mean anything anymore. What happened to a majority vote rules? What happened to the peoples voice?
My stance on this has nothing to do with same sex couples. This is just the latest thing a court has overturned or blocked that THE PEOPLE voted for. Look at AZ., look back at prop. 187 which would have saved is billions in illegal immigrant funding. The people of the USA are trying to make changes to better our country and the few judges are effectively disenfranchising us.
Again this is not directed at same sex couples it is major frustration over the majority loosing there voice.
WHY VOTE????
Their votes DID count. Their voices were heard. They were simply told that they voted for something that violates civil rights.

What about the times when the anti-gay industry tries to over-ride the will of the people by overturning laws passed by the people who were elected to represent the people?

We're a REPRESENTATIVE Democracy. With a Constitution.

I just addressed someone who opposes equality for gays and lesbians on another thread who said, "The family is...the 'first form of government'... marriage is a fundamental constitutional right & international human right precious because it comes before government and cannot be manipulated, re-defined, or ripped from its foundations....As old as Pericles humanity has noted the family as a bulwark against state tyranny.”- Fitz

I responded, "What is ironic is that we are both saying the same thing."

Gays and lesbians aren't opposing the heterosexual idea of family. We aren't asking the government to manipulate, re-define or rip it apart. As Fitz pointed out,“family” can not be re-defined.

Yet some want to manipulate, re-define it or rip apart the families we create.(Ron Paul, Santorum, Mitt Romney, Tony Perkins, NOM etc.). These groups and people don’t seem to see that not only are they trying to re-define and rip apart gays and lesbians, they are in fact attacking the families we came from and the families of those heterosexuals who support our cause.
Rand Paul mocked Obama for citing the Golden Rule in what I consider to be a very crude gay joke about gay sex.“"It did kind of bother me though that he used the justification for it in a biblical reference," Paul continued.”He said the biblical golden rule caused him to be for gay marriage. And I'm like what version of the Bible is he reading… I don't know what version he's getting it from.” He got a big laugh from the audience. They all knew he wasn’t really talking about the Golden Rule but was using it to mock oral and anal sex. We all know that heterosexuals also engage in those two things and no one bats an eye.

So now we add the Golden Rule to the terms being claimed the exclusive property of anti-gay heterosexuals; 'moral values',‘marriage’,'family’?

Well I’m not going to consent to that anymore than I will submit to the idea that Fundamentalists have a patent on the word “marriage” or that blacks are the only group who can use the term “civil rights” or that only Hispanics can use the word “Tacos”.

Who's the real tyrant here? The people who are following the Golden Rule and supporting our rights or the ones like Rand Paul and the rest of the fundamentalists who want to ignore what they preach? Another poster,‘RevKen’ referred to this “do as I say not as I do” behavior as “Institutionalized Hypocrisy”. I couldn’t phrase it any better.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#141067 May 13, 2012
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
I just addressed someone who opposes equality for gays and lesbians on another thread who said, "The family is...the 'first form of government'... marriage is a fundamental constitutional right & international human right precious because it comes before government and cannot be manipulated, re-defined, or ripped from its foundations....As old as Pericles humanity has noted the family as a bulwark against state tyranny.”- Fitz

I responded, "What is ironic is that we are both saying the same thing."

Gays and lesbians aren't opposing the heterosexual idea of family. We aren't asking the government to manipulate, re-define or rip it apart. As Fitz pointed out,“family” can not be re-defined.

Yet some want to manipulate, re-define it or rip apart the families we create.(Ron Paul, Santorum, Mitt Romney, Tony Perkins, NOM etc.). These groups and people don’t seem to see that not only are they trying to re-define and rip apart gays and lesbians, they are in fact attacking the families we came from and the families of those heterosexuals who support our cause.
Rand Paul mocked Obama for citing the Golden Rule in what I consider to be a very crude gay joke about gay sex.“"It did kind of bother me though that he used the justification for it in a biblical reference," Paul continued.”He said the biblical golden rule caused him to be for gay marriage. And I'm like what version of the Bible is he reading… I don't know what version he's getting it from.” He got a big laugh from the audience. They all knew he wasn’t really talking about the Golden Rule but was using it to mock oral and anal sex. We all know that heterosexuals also engage in those two things and no one bats an eye.

So now we add the Golden Rule to the terms being claimed the exclusive property of anti-gay heterosexuals; 'moral values',‘marriage’,'family’?

Well I’m not going to consent to that anymore than I will submit to the idea that Fundamentalists have a patent on the word “marriage” or that blacks are the only group who can use the term “civil rights” or that only Hispanics can use the word “Tacos”.

Who's the real tyrant here? The people who are following the Golden Rule and supporting our rights or the ones like Rand Paul and the rest of the fundamentalists who want to ignore what they preach? Another poster,‘RevKen’ referred to this “do as I say not as I do” behavior as “Institutionalized Hypocrisy”. I couldn’t phrase it any better.
RiccardoFire

Elk Grove, CA

#141068 May 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me? BUSH took out Sadam.
No shyte ellis. Did u just find that out? Huge mistake. and Obama took out the others from Egypt to Libya helping the Islamics u freaking retard.
Joe Fortuna

Happy Valley, OR

#141070 May 13, 2012
RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>but we are not a Christian nation, we don't fight as a Christian nation we are not fighting with a cross. we don't kill and shout Praise Jesus.
I think a lot of christian would disagree with you about the US not being a christian nation.
I'm pretty sure they would agree we aren't fight for jesus.
Elder Perry

Oakland, CA

#141071 May 13, 2012
Shortly after Willard Mitt Romney is sworn in as president, he will, in accordance with his church's policy, issue executive orders that effect the following laws:

1. The prohibition of all same-sex relationships including co-habitation, civil unions and marriage.

2. In accordance with the Mormon Scripture, Doctrine & Covenants, Section 89. All possession, sales, production and use of tobacco products will be prohibited through the nation and all territories. The same nation-wide prohibition will be applied to all alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.

3. The Celestial practice to plural marriage will be restored throughout the nation and territories and will consist of one husband and 2 or more wives.

4. And finally, the administration will revise Amendment I to the Bill of Rights to the wording that the United States recognizes only one true church on the face of this earth, the Church that, with the help of the 3 personages of the Godhead, had its authority with the help of an intelligent farm boy in Upstate New York in 1830. That Church is, of course, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon).

Help restore the United States back to its Celestial glory as a true Christian nation by VOTING MITT ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT in November!

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#141073 May 13, 2012
Elder Perry wrote:
Shortly after Willard Mitt Romney is sworn in as president, he will, in accordance with his church's policy, issue executive orders that effect the following laws:
1. The prohibition of all same-sex relationships including co-habitation, civil unions and marriage.
2. In accordance with the Mormon Scripture, Doctrine & Covenants, Section 89. All possession, sales, production and use of tobacco products will be prohibited through the nation and all territories. The same nation-wide prohibition will be applied to all alcoholic and caffeinated beverages.
3. The Celestial practice to plural marriage will be restored throughout the nation and territories and will consist of one husband and 2 or more wives.
4. And finally, the administration will revise Amendment I to the Bill of Rights to the wording that the United States recognizes only one true church on the face of this earth, the Church that, with the help of the 3 personages of the Godhead, had its authority with the help of an intelligent farm boy in Upstate New York in 1830. That Church is, of course, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormon).
Help restore the United States back to its Celestial glory as a true Christian nation by VOTING MITT ROMNEY FOR PRESIDENT in November!
In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen!
The Presidency isn't a dictatorship.... oh wait.... you were being sarcastic.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yorba Linda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News How an American Became an Al Qaeda Spokesman 7 hr ky man 1
News Woman in birth tourism case arrested 7 hr ky man 1
Cathy Torrez murder in 1994 (Jul '07) 11 hr WCN 15
Message For God's Elect Children The Jewish Peo... 12 hr Wild_America 11
Schuller Family Announces Founder Of Crystal Ca... 17 hr Mole Man 3
News Former Crystal Cathedral transitions to Catholi... (Sep '13) 17 hr Pastor Digby 5
News Gang member gets 40 to life for shooting father... (Apr '10) 17 hr Michael Smith 151
More from around the web

Yorba Linda People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]