Justice Dept. investigating claims of Yonkers police brutality -

Full story: Newsday

Mayor Philip Amicone released a letter from the Department's civil rights division that said it had received "allegations of use of excessive force and discriminatory policing." The mayor said Yonkers would ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 29 Comments Last updated Apr 12, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sistargirl

United States

#1 Aug 29, 2007
my daughter and i had a horrible experince with a police officer at yonkers ave he was using foul language banging on drivers side of door stating pull the f---king car over yes it was dwb i have sent e-mail to the commissioner thank
BeautyPinkett

Burlington, NJ

#2 Aug 29, 2007
I think its a good thing that there is going to be federal investigation. Theres to much police brutality an it needs to stop. They think that just because they have a badge they can do anything they want in its not right at all. The way they treat people it will come back to them or someone they love. Dirt always come to light . We just need someone thats going to stand by us and help us fight. God see all the wrong you done and in the end you will have to answer to it. There are some good police out there that dont abuse their authority. Brutality that the police is causing they are nothing put criminals themselves.
William

Norwalk, CT

#3 Aug 30, 2007
This is just like when the police beat up a girl at Reagan National Airport in DC. They assaulted this girl and gave her a serious brain injury and made her entire body black and blue.
Then they arrested HER and charged her with a made up crime. You can be beat up by police and then have them charge you with a slew of imaginary crimes to cover up the beating, even if you are a law abiding citizen.
FF Jack

Jersey City, NJ

#4 Aug 30, 2007
The article read Yonkers and doesn't solicit complaints from depts across the country. Yonkers has had 4,000 arrests this year with a .006% complaint rate.

The only ones crying about brutality is that town are perps.
William

Norwalk, CT

#5 Sep 1, 2007
This is just like when the police beat up a girl at Reagan National Airport in DC. They assaulted this girl and gave her a serious brain injury and made her entire body black and blue.

Then they arrested HER and charged her with a made up crime. You can be beat up by police and then have them charge you with a slew of imaginary crimes to cover up the beating, even if you are a law abiding citizen.
Mr Evans

AOL

#6 Sep 2, 2007
William wrote:
I've been the victim of the same by the Suffolk County Police Department,they need a federal investigation also including thier DA.Thats the reason ehy I take joy in every cops death.
Sarah

New York, NY

#7 Sep 4, 2007
This kind of behavior has to stop. Police brutality of this sort is disgusting.
Shame on those men. Once again, group mentality seemed to factor into this ugly equation.
John

Dumont, NJ

#8 Sep 16, 2007
It's so easy to sit at a desk and complain BUT... The police officers in Yonkers risk their lives every day in the worst areas of Yonkers to defend people's lives and uphold the law. This is especially true in southwest Yonkers where violent assaults, domestic disputes, and gang related crimes happen ALL NIGHT LONG. Many times with GUNS and other weapons being involved that put everyones lives at risk. It is wrong to put the blame on the police. When people here gun shots they run away, the police officers in Yonkers head towards them and they are doing an excellent job.
Sanford

Boston, MA

#9 Nov 15, 2007
It doesn't seem like the Yonkers police really do much at all, other than sit around, running red lights, making huge amounts of overtime and receiving cushy benefits on taxpayer dollars, and getting all their paeans to gather on the corner to harass black people when they get bored and have little else to do. The reason that there are a lesser number of complaints against their thuggish behavior is because A) people know there is very little recourse and the authorities will not address these behaviors or encourage them to continue, and B) many people would fear for their safety knowing that the department will seek to persecute said victims further. That certainly kept me from filling a formal complaint about the actions I've witnessed. I've watched city police shatter a plate glass window of a private business by throwing a man into it. I've overheard cops talking about confiscating unregistered guns from suspects or having possession of unregistered guns themselves, and turning them in for 100 dollars a piece over the recent city policy . I've overheard thee most vehement racist remarks from police whose ancestors were the unwelcome unwashed less than a century ago. I've seen young African American men handcuffed with no visible bruises, only to have welts and bloody noses hours later, all the while still cuffed. I've seen on duty police officers interfering with local election procedures, sometimes with holstered guns. I watched a slovenly looking officer belch in the face of a cuffed man at the city jail on Alexander Street, and then laugh about it immediately afterward. The reason the arrests are so high, and why the crime continues, is because most city residents have found the police to be intimidating and uncooperative, and have been unable to form partnerships that benefit the community as a whole. Yonkers PD, City Hall, and Court system is a filthy clogged drain that is in great need of a thorough cleansing.
Bulzeye

Middletown, NY

#11 May 31, 2008
Hey Sanford,How is it you have witnessed all of these claims of yours.Were you magically transported to each and every location where these so called events happened or are you just another member of the anti-cop bandwagon bunch of low-lifes looking to make an easy buck filing a false claim.I find it hard to believe that you just happened to be in the right place at the right time.More like you were following the police around because you are a wanna be who would never be able to cut it as one of Yonkers finest.
Jenn

New York, NY

#13 Jun 29, 2008
This is like the cops beating up the girl at Reagan National Airport in DC. There needs to be a federal overhaul of police brutality against women.

Police feel free to beat up whoever they want, even women and handicapped people. They just press false charges against them like Disorderly Conduct or Obstruction of Justice, after the beating, to make the police brutality look somehow justified.

Do you really believe that Janet Difiore did not see the video of the police beating? I doubt it. And what kind of Assistant District Attorney would prosecute this beating victim and deem this beating justfiable? A corrupt one who is covering up for the batterer cop. We need to end police violence against women, the prosecutorial misconduct and phony prosecution of victims now.
RD - AOL

AOL

#14 Jul 4, 2008
Mr Evans wrote:
<quoted text>I've been the victim of the same by the Suffolk County Police Department,they need a federal investigation also including thier DA.Thats the reason ehy I take joy in every cops death.
Mr Evans,

Very sad your last remark. You "take joy in every cops death"???? What a horrible ,sick thing to say! To express that type of joy makes me wonder why you were a " so called" victim. I view your statement the same why I view that video.
Yonkers guy

Edison, NJ

#15 Mar 28, 2009
I think that there are some good cops in Yonkers that have been getting a bad rep for all this. That said it goes without saying that special treatment is given to Yonkers cops by Yonkers cops that exceeds what is normal. It is a false brotherhood in the end when even breaking the law, as the law has been deemed, is un-punishable so long as a cop does it. They should set an example of the law. They are like a mafia when clandestine, un-uniformed, off duty cops engage in questionable activities knowing full well they are untouchable in Yonkers. They do feel that way. They are not like an average citizen in terms of respecting the law. A Judge Dread mentality is justified and rationalized. I know this is not the case across the country but here in Yonkers the average Joes, not the perps ,are unsatisfied with the police that OUR tax money employ. We have many good cops here as well. They just donít say anything that could hurt their fellow police officers no matter what. There is no limit or boundary to my last statement. I feel they would cover each other up even if something terrible happened. That is wrong considering that they should serve the public and not each other. Thatís how disasters happen. All it takes is one smart, devious person to figure out that by becoming a cop he can rule the streets here. Letís not pretend that he would be wrong.
ImportantPleaseA nswer

New Rochelle, NY

#16 Apr 15, 2009
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO GOT JUMPED BY A GROUP OF GIRLS SOMEONE TOLD HER HER BOYFRIEND HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT BUT SHE WASNT SURE AND SO THE POLICE CAME AND THEY WERE BEING DISRESPECTFUL DIDNT WANNA HELP THE GURL WAS HISTERICAL BCUZ HER 17YEAR OLD SISTER ALSO HAD GOT JUMPED SO THE COPS BEGAN TO SAY GO THE F UPSTAIRS AND MAKING THREATS SHE DIDNT KNOW WHAT TO DO THEY WOULDNT HELP HER THEN THE GIRLS CAME BACK AND JUMPED THEM AGAIN AND THE COPS CAME BACK ABOUT A COUPLE OF HOURS LATER SO IN ORDER FOR HER TO GET THERE ATTENTION SHE FILED A FALSE REPORT SAYING THAT HER BOYFRIEND ATTACKED HER WITH THE GIRLS THEN SHE WAS ABLE TO GET THE COPS ATTENTION THEN THE COPS WAS TELLING THE GURL TO LIE ON THE REPORT SAYING THE BOYFRIEND WAS THE CAUSE OF EVERYTHING AND LEFT OUT THE WHOLE POINT OF WHY SHE CALLED THE COPS WHICH WAS TO GET HELP FOR GETTING JUMPED NOW THE BOYFRIEND HAS A WARRANT OUT FOR HIS ARREST WHAT PENALTIES WILL SHE GET FOR MAKING A FALSE REORT LIKE THIS ONE.WILL THE CHRAGES AND WARRANT GET DROPPED IF REQUESTED?
DA KID

Rockaway, NJ

#17 Apr 18, 2009
ive lived in this town all my life & this coming july im moving to a new home on 5 acres in GA. i have found the yonkers police to be one of the best in the ctry bar none.same goes to our fire dept & teachers. i hope where im going there half as good.
DA KID

Rockaway, NJ

#18 Apr 22, 2009
keep in mind folks theres a few bad apples in ever walk of life..cops.teachers,PRIESTS. but also keep in mind that of all the police britality claims in yonkers,almost 90% of them have crtiminal records longer than this thread..
unknown

Flanders, NJ

#19 Oct 28, 2009
hey dakidd and everyone else on here yea ok so they have criminal records but i can say it aint nuttin more than a weed charge or drinkin in public charge cause if it was seriouse charges they wouldnt be free ok. look at me as an example never been arrested before but the cops attacked me and im in a good neighborhood in yonkers and u know what there reason was an empty weed bag on the floor not right in front of me no weed in it not even high not even my prints on the bag but still got taken to jail after they fucked me up and you know why they did wat they did cause my freedom of speech me knowin my rights.i was never charged with anything else that day why cause they think they can do wat they want,they dont think your gonna complain to anyone. dont get me wrong theres good cops out here but then u got the clicks of cops just like these so called gangs in yonkers which aint gangs there streets that the youth are takein matters into thier on hand but i dont know where in yonkers you are from you sure you aint live in scarsdale and just go to school in the yonkers district cause u crazy.!!! remember as long as u aint been read your right and you tell them kiss your ass it cant be used against you remember they r so called trained for verbel abuse since when did cops become king look at it this way its all here say from your mom and dad kiddo.goodluck down in GA hope u aint in atl the cops dont stop to help people over there.
high ground

Brooklyn, NY

#20 Nov 21, 2009
It's gotten so bad, that I find myself rooting for the bad guy now and that doesn't sit well with me. At willow place, 4 people including a 63 yr old lady beat up an off duty cop and these weren't playing around either. People are fed up.
yonkers resident

Highland Park, NJ

#21 Dec 1, 2009
i think yonkers cops should be investigated by the FBI, JUSTICE DEPARTMENT, yonkers cops are known to be brutal, i have personally heard many stories of how cops beat up people just for nothing, specially the #4th precinct, the cops at #4 are known to be brutally racist, against anyone. they have known to beaten up black, spanish, including white. the people are afraid to complian against them. there is no department to complain to. the entire system of gov from mayors office, to court judges, and yonkers pd are corrupt and are in bed together, this town is a legal mafia town. they all protect each other very well. they feds need to come in and clean up, replace the top people and put outside people who have clean track record of fine public service.
Patrick

Lancaster, NY

#22 Dec 1, 2009
The last time I went to court, the police said they thought I was a shop lifter from sears, when I was only picking up my girl friend who works at sears. They beat me up for no reason. I was bleeding from the head with a swollen chick. I girl friend came to the seen from work. She told them I was her boyfriend and that I was picking her up. Sears said nobody stole anything from their shop. Tell me this ain't racial profile. This is not what America stands for. Let the black man live free. I am 29 and never gotten in trouble in my life.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yonkers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NY Who do you support for Governor in New York in ... (Oct '10) 1 hr Who are trying to... 6,413
anyone interested in Trading Pictures of Wives ... (Nov '11) Sun Ilovetoflash 7
Searching for Aug 29 Whale7 1
NY New York Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Aug 29 Lol 16,779
SSD solution for cleaning black note for sale here (Jul '13) Aug 29 Dr humbert telor 16
Talk of the Sound Exclusive: President Obama Co... Aug 29 stenbrian333 1
New York Dems propose $750M Mitchell-Lama revival (Feb '14) Aug 28 Diamond Daisy 2
•••

Yonkers News Video

•••
•••

Yonkers Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Yonkers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••