Congresswoman shot, alive in surgery in Arizona

Jan 8, 2011 Full story: www.kold.com 2,357

U.S. Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, D-AZ, was shot at point-blank range at a public event in Tucson, AZ.

Full Story
First Prev
of 118
Next Last
gulch geek

Bisbee, AZ

#2541 Feb 3, 2012
GulchGeek wrote:
Sardonic hilarity abounds as 'Get Off' and his various aliases digs himself ever deeper into his homegrown pile of horsepoop. No, that's not egg on his face, it's you-know-what, as he pulls from his horse's ass yet another wad of nonsense about about having some inside scoop on Giffords' office employes... and submitting this as if it backs up a contention that Giffords' offices should have been closed because, without her presence in Congress, her staff has nothing to do.
The entire gist that a gravely injured $170,000/year elected representative should have been kicked out the back door of Congress and the offices serving the electorate of her district closed is so nutso that it causes me to wonder if the people who entertain such notions are capable of using both their brain cells at once.
I agree. And, one of these days I am going to get myself over to the Sierra Vista, Tucson, and Washington, D.C. offices and personally thank each and every one of them for making sure that we all get the best representation possible. Gosh, I really love these people. They are so great. I'm shaking my head in disbelief.
I am anonymous

Pomona, CA

#2544 Feb 4, 2012
GulchGeek wrote:
Sardonic hilarity abounds as 'Get Off' and his various aliases digs himself ever deeper into his homegrown pile of horsepoop. No, that's not egg on his face, it's you-know-what, as he pulls from his horse's ass yet another wad of nonsense about about having some inside scoop on Giffords' office employes... and submitting this as if it backs up a contention that Giffords' offices should have been closed because, without her presence in Congress, her staff has nothing to do.
The entire gist that a gravely injured $170,000/year elected representative should have been kicked out the back door of Congress and the offices serving the electorate of her district closed is so nutso that it causes me to wonder if the people who entertain such notions are capable of using both their brain cells at once.
Well said GG. Well said. Now that Jesse Kelly, gun fanatic, is running for Gabby's seat, we must bring about victory for the Dems in District 8 in this special election. Jesse Kelly is part of the problem in S. Arizona. Take good care.
I am anonymous

Pomona, CA

#2546 Feb 4, 2012
Get Off wrote:
<quoted text>
This statement doesn't seem to make sense nor refer to anything in particular. I believe that people should be able to voice their opinions. I don't care for Gabrielle Giffords' politics. I am a republican. I have some personal information about certain individuals who work for her who have abused their positions and take advantage of the lack of supervision on the job. I don't think that is right to the taxpayers. If you or your doppelganger "GulchGeek" do not agree that is fine but don't keep attacking me for my opinion. I don't see how having an opinion is having a chip on my shoulder. I also think that the weekend Memorial for the January 8th anniversary was all hype and sensationalized and in poor taste. Just my opinion. Peace.
your mere "opinion" is invalid if others choose to not listen to your mere "opinion.". You have "personal info" on Gabby's staff that validates your "opinion?" Then share or or STFU. The Vigil at the U was awesome. The quintessential community event. I was there. Don't try push your Rethuglican "opinions" off onto S.AZ. We know Gabby, she has been part of our lives forever, well loved by Tucson long before she was in politics. Gabby will get better and better. Her intellect is intact, it's her speech she needs to work on, and work on it she will do. Who cares if you don't like her politics.. S.AZ,(Gabby's district) likes her. She has made beyond amazing progress so far so don't count her out yet. How dare you criticize our memorials for our dead and wounded, how dare you. This community needed every single memorial held on 1.08.12. We are still healing. This is way beyond politics fool. It's a human being thing, You are so inhumane. Dig it.
Air CAV

San Jose, CA

#2547 Feb 4, 2012
I am anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> your mere "opinion" is invalid if others choose to not listen to your mere "opinion.". You have "personal info" on Gabby's staff that validates your "opinion?" Then share or or STFU. The Vigil at the U was awesome. The quintessential community event. I was there. Don't try push your Rethuglican "opinions" off onto S.AZ. We know Gabby, she has been part of our lives forever, well loved by Tucson long before she was in politics. Gabby will get better and better. Her intellect is intact, it's her speech she needs to work on, and work on it she will do. Who cares if you don't like her politics.. S.AZ,(Gabby's district) likes her. She has made beyond amazing progress so far so don't count her out yet. How dare you criticize our memorials for our dead and wounded, how dare you. This community needed every single memorial held on 1.08.12. We are still healing. This is way beyond politics fool. It's a human being thing, You are so inhumane. Dig it.
Who are YOU to say someone's opinion ain't valid? Stupid liggy! You are DISMISSED! LMAO.
Get Off

Bisbee, AZ

#2549 Feb 4, 2012
I am anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> your mere "opinion" is invalid if others choose to not listen to your mere "opinion.". You have "personal info" on Gabby's staff that validates your "opinion?" Then share or or STFU. The Vigil at the U was awesome. The quintessential community event. I was there. Don't try push your Rethuglican "opinions" off onto S.AZ. We know Gabby, she has been part of our lives forever, well loved by Tucson long before she was in politics. Gabby will get better and better. Her intellect is intact, it's her speech she needs to work on, and work on it she will do. Who cares if you don't like her politics.. S.AZ,(Gabby's district) likes her. She has made beyond amazing progress so far so don't count her out yet. How dare you criticize our memorials for our dead and wounded, how dare you. This community needed every single memorial held on 1.08.12. We are still healing. This is way beyond politics fool. It's a human being thing, You are so inhumane. Dig it.
Hey, you sound like a really nice person too. And, thank you for giving me the true insight on Gabby--I always wondered what type of friends she had. The Memorial Service on Sunday was beautiful and well orchestrated. The Saturday thing with selling of promotional items was thoughtless. I think Gabby has grabbed too much of the limelight when it is more important to remember those who lost their lives and the others who were hurt as well as their families. You know, to target me when there are all types of posters on here who have made disgusting remarks is odd. Why don't you go after them and their posts? I don't like her politics and that seems to be my right just as it is your right to justify a carnival celebration for a horrible tragedy.
Born Arizonan

Cottonwood, AZ

#2552 Feb 24, 2012
Does anyone know about the law our state was trying to work on about getting help for mentally ill people changed? Has anything changed yet?

The problem here in AZ, with family members I have even is you can see they are way off balance, yet because of HIPPA and other laws we can not make them get the help they so desperately need! The mentally ill person rarely goes volunteering to get a mental evaluation! There is nothing until a crime was committed by them that anyone could do, not family friends or witnesses! Then it's too late!

This law has got to change! People who are this mentally ill are usually always scared because they are paranoid schizophrenic or Bi polar so bad. They are not likely ever going to want to volunteer for a mental evaluation to get help! They need help and will refuse it, they think people are trying to hurt them, it's a conspiracy and all that..
The police say "until they become a danger to themselves or another there is nothing that can be done!" Well here we see what can happen with this law, too little too late,innocent people die, and get hurt for life! I have been to NAMI meetings over our situation this is a big problem! Then they become criminals instead of patients!

Lets treat them while they can be a patient, so they never get to criminal state of mind!

The law has got to allow access by at the very least concerned family member's who see behavior that is abnormal,scary, of their loved one, and can get the needed medical help for the mentally ill person!
Right now that is not possible, I have had it happen to me with my family needing help,I could never get them any they moved and are still as mentally ill as ever, that is very concerning! Plus we have had a neighbor even that we could not get help for, I called everyone, I could to get that poor man help...They found her dead in her mobile home a couple months ago she had fallen, it was pitiful how bad off she was, and lived!

I would not let a dog to suffer like that!

If a person had a broken bone and was dragging their leg around and the bone was sticking out we could call an ambulance and they could get medical help!
But if a we see or know of a person suffering badly from mental illness going around, unless they are willing to go to the hospital and be evaluated there is nothing we can to help them, unless they pull out a gun, knife or do something else horrific to themselves or someone else!

Seems to me this can be prevented before it ever happens again, if they law would allow the friends and family that have concern, to require the person they have concern for by law to have a mandatory mental evaluation! If a person is mentally sound and accused of it, they would gladly get a 72 hour mental evaluation, I would!
The mentally sick people who need it most are afraid of getting tested they know something is wring and they are scared so most never even get diagnosed like laughner! To even get the help they need! Then they are capable of doing anything to anyone!

This type of tragedy could be prevented if the law was changed.. There are too many undiagnosed people running around out there mentally sick, that are capable of this type of thing...
bisbee is nuts

Bisbee, AZ

#2554 Feb 25, 2012
I agree. I look around Bisbee and see grown men drinking, doing drugs who can't keep a job and are mentally unstable. They are nuts and should be locked up. They keep getting in trouble but the courts let them off all of the time. They sell drugs for money because they can't keep a job. Have a bunch of kids they can't afford with dumb women who are also on drugs, drink, are nuts and what can you do? Their mommas don't think they are nuts because they are as well! It is the cycle of a nut in Bisbee.
psychiatry is a weapon

Bisbee, AZ

#2555 Feb 26, 2012
Born Arizonan wrote:
Does anyone know about the law our state was trying to work on about getting help for mentally ill people changed? Has anything changed yet?
The problem here in AZ, with family members I have even is you can see they are way off balance, yet because of HIPPA and other laws we can not make them get the help they so desperately need! The mentally ill person rarely goes volunteering to get a mental evaluation! There is nothing until a crime was committed by them that anyone could do, not family friends or witnesses! Then it's too late!
This law has got to change! People who are this mentally ill are usually always scared because they are paranoid schizophrenic or Bi polar so bad. They are not likely ever going to want to volunteer for a mental evaluation to get help! They need help and will refuse it, they think people are trying to hurt them, it's a conspiracy and all that..
The police say "until they become a danger to themselves or another there is nothing that can be done!" Well here we see what can happen with this law, too little too late,innocent people die, and get hurt for life! I have been to NAMI meetings over our situation this is a big problem! Then they become criminals instead of patients!
Lets treat them while they can be a patient, so they never get to criminal state of mind!
The law has got to allow access by at the very least concerned family member's who see behavior that is abnormal,scary, of their loved one, and can get the needed medical help for the mentally ill person!
Right now that is not possible, I have had it happen to me with my family needing help,I could never get them any they moved and are still as mentally ill as ever, that is very concerning! Plus we have had a neighbor even that we could not get help for, I called everyone, I could to get that poor man help...They found her dead in her mobile home a couple months ago she had fallen, it was pitiful how bad off she was, and lived!
I would not let a dog to suffer like that!
If a person had a broken bone and was dragging their leg around and the bone was sticking out we could call an ambulance and they could get medical help!
But if a we see or know of a person suffering badly from mental illness going around, unless they are willing to go to the hospital and be evaluated there is nothing we can to help them, unless they pull out a gun, knife or do something else horrific to themselves or someone else!
Seems to me this can be prevented before it ever happens again, if they law would allow the friends and family that have concern, to require the person they have concern for by law to have a mandatory mental evaluation! If a person is mentally sound and accused of it, they would gladly get a 72 hour mental evaluation, I would!
The mentally sick people who need it most are afraid of getting tested they know something is wring and they are scared so most never even get diagnosed like laughner! To even get the help they need! Then they are capable of doing anything to anyone!
This type of tragedy could be prevented if the law was changed.. There are too many undiagnosed people running around out there mentally sick, that are capable of this type of thing...
yes, lets get the government even more deeply involved in deciding who is fit and unfit. for their own good, of course. and trust that they never make a mistake. accidentally or on purpose.

not saying these issues have an easy fix, but why should the answer be "there oughta be a[nother] law?"

who does the mental health industry really work for? you? or The Man?
tired of tolerant

Bisbee, AZ

#2560 Feb 27, 2012
Mayor Jonny Porkchild wrote:
Many of you people are certainly quite ignorant and expressing very intolerant and biased views!
As Mayor of Tucson I hereby declare that Gabrielle Giffords is off limits - effective immediately, and I demand that all of you insensitive drones develop a modicum of civility!
!- Mayor Jonny
I am so tired of people acting as though the truth is a dirty word. Poor ignorant people have kids and kids and kids especially the blacks and hispanics. They are not responsible and considerate of the earth. The middle and upper middle class pay for their kids. Why should I or any hard working taxpayer want to do that? I am so sick of having to be tolerant in this Country and put up with helping to foot the bill for care of illegals as well as those in our Country who have kids and can't afford them or are too dumb to bring them up to be productive adults. Why should we be tolerant of that? Tolerant has become the new word for door mat. Enablers. Stop those illegals from coming over. Where has tolerant gotten our Country? The welfare takers always have money to buy cigs and beer.
Hey Gray Beard

Los Angeles, CA

#2563 Apr 3, 2012
Air CAV wrote:
<quoted text>
Who are YOU to say someone's opinion ain't valid? Stupid liggy! You are DISMISSED! LMAO.
An "opinion" is what it is, like the above bias statement. That's not FACTS, which are always valid. how do you like those polls? Women are SICK to death of the GOP in our utereses. WE are half the population. Wait, you watch FAUX News, you have no idea what is really going on. Sad. Very sad.
NOW PROSECUTE ME! ROTF!!! I've been waiting 3 months or more for your county attorney to issue charges against me. Oh wait, he has no jurisdiction in Pima Co.
Took me 2 months to look at your illogocal post. Might take me 4 months to see the next.

SluttyNutty

Glendale, AZ

#2564 Apr 3, 2012
Hey Gray Beard wrote:
<quoted text> An "opinion" is what it is, like the above bias statement. That's not FACTS, which are always valid. how do you like those polls? Women are SICK to death of the GOP in our utereses. WE are half the population. Wait, you watch FAUX News, you have no idea what is really going on. Sad. Very sad.
NOW PROSECUTE ME! ROTF!!! I've been waiting 3 months or more for your county attorney to issue charges against me. Oh wait, he has no jurisdiction in Pima Co.
Took me 2 months to look at your illogocal post. Might take me 4 months to see the next.
OMG, you went to Cali and had sex with him?
Honestly

Stockton, CA

#2567 Jun 25, 2012
...Jerry Sandusky, you....
what is it with you perverts? All you ever think of is sex. Ghetto brained tard.
Lock up the little boys.
swedenforever

Elkridge, MD

#2568 Jun 25, 2012
"What do you mean "Could it happen in the US?" Hardly a month goes by without a gunman going on the rampage in a school or something over there. The Norway massacre was regularly described as an "American-Style Shooting" here in the British Media. One radio commentator even asked "Has the American Disease finally infected Europe?" Thank God we don't need guns here in the UK. Our way of thinking is "The sort of people who want guns are the last people who should have them". Works for us. This never happens here."

Since: Feb 09

Lake Havasu City, AZ

#2569 Jul 1, 2012
Well to top it off they elected a half brain dead Democrat to replace her. No improvement.
ignorance is bliss

Huachuca City, AZ

#2570 Jul 1, 2012
Bonhomme Richard wrote:
Well to top it off they elected a half brain dead Democrat to replace her. No improvement.
Your comment is silly. The opponent was Kelly, the weakest candidate for office I have ever seen. Even the rabid around SV did not turn out to support him. The truth is the voter turn out was so low that had the faithful turned out to support Kelly he would of won easily. It was the voters in Tucson that carried the day for Barber. Even though Kelly won the Rep. primary he dropped out of the next race because he has no support.
Bisbee really is nuts

Torrance, CA

#2571 Jul 15, 2012
bisbee is nuts wrote:
I agree. I look around Bisbee and see grown men drinking, doing drugs who can't keep a job and are mentally unstable. They are nuts and should be locked up. They keep getting in trouble but the courts let them off all of the time. They sell drugs for money because they can't keep a job. Have a bunch of kids they can't afford with dumb women who are also on drugs, drink, are nuts and what can you do? Their mommas don't think they are nuts because they are as well! It is the cycle of a nut in Bisbee.
BINGO!!
Billy Bob

Westminster, CO

#2573 Mar 4, 2013
Must have been on some sort of depression medication prescribed by a doctor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 118
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yarnell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
World Mission Society Church of God Religious F... (Apr '12) 8 hr kas 117
best 5 star hotel in phoenix/scottsdale? 10 hr Hotel 5
Females become nurses just to leer at nude male... 15 hr Lot of Surgeries 9
Topix General Curioisty Dec 19 Suns 3
black hook up Dec 19 dillysky 1
any girls from phx arizona wanna meet n hook up Dec 18 badazz 2
Arizona Synthetic Turf Company Morningstar Turf... (Sep '10) Dec 18 wendikraus 13
Yarnell Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Yarnell People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Yarnell News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Yarnell

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:02 pm PST

Yahoo! Sports 9:02PM