Worth hookah lounge losing license after noise complaints

Full story: Chicago Tribune

A hookah lounge that opened in Worth eight months ago is seeing its business license revoked after repeated noise complaints from a neighbor who lives 50 feet from the Luxor Cafe's front door.
Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Nov 20, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jake

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Has anyone tested the 'flavored tobacco' to make sure it is just that?
Barb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Judged:

Not me, but I was always curious about those hooka lounges. There's that one on Ridgeland that changed their name after the smoking ban.
And here we go again, playing the race card:
"After the 5-1 vote to revoke the license, Isa's attorney, Fadi Rafati, accused village officials, including police, of discrimination. "Apparently the village does not like Arab businesses," he said."

SHUT THE HEL1 UP!!

And while we're on the Arab subject, I'm sickened to see the new Arab place open on the east side of 106th & Harlem, the grocery store where the marquee states "WE ACCEPT LINK". Can we get any more ghetto?
What The F

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

The problem is not the ethnicity of the clientele it is of course their age. Most young people don't work, don't study and have little or no consideration for those that do. I'm really surprised the vote went in favor of the resident. Craven catering to ethnic minorities usually prevents the imposition of the traditional rules of polite behavior.
Barb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Have you been in this hookah place, to say that it's their age? What is the age range that makes them ignorant of the "rules of polite behavior"?

And that's not necessarily true. There are lots of people in their 20's, 30's and 40's that don't know how to be polite.
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

i think it is funny that the Pump Room is a few doors down and nobody has complained about noise from there. Maybe age does have something to do with it.....not that there aren't troublemakers of all ages...
LadyEvil

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

wow wrote:
i think it is funny that the Pump Room is a few doors down and nobody has complained about noise from there. Maybe age does have something to do with it.....not that there aren't troublemakers of all ages...
That's true wow. Also Bar Code 111 is on the other side of Luxor and they're open until I think 3am and have a live DJ on Fridays. Their back door butts up against residential fencing. Hmmm makes me think....
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

i also remember the owner of the Pump Room complaining about the kids parking in her lot all time and being rude and ignorant when she told them they couldn't park there....

Since: Dec 07

DuPage County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Judged:

Them young fellars and their ruckus hooka-induced behavior!

Not in my apartment's back yard!

Fiddley-dee!
Slowpoke

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 16, 2009

Judged:

What's all this fuss about hookas? Leave the poor girls alone, they're just trying to earn a living on the streets like anyone else.
not important

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Just so everyone knows luxor is not a place for only young people. Most the people who go in there are between 30 and 40. most of them seem to be very successful men who enjoy a bit of their culture. This is a race issue no one complains about any other bar on 111th. It sickens me that so many of you are this ignorant. The people who work at luxor need to make a living to. I spoke with one of the waitresses who pays her way through school. She was stressing how scared she is to loose her job and not be able to pay for college. This is ridiculous.
rosco

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Man, those are just reefer pipes, used to smoke weed as a group.

“be who you are”

chicago, il

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

it has to be the neighbors looking at the the place and pointing wanting to get rid of those , those smokers...if you don't smoke , don't go there.
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

not important wrote:
Just so everyone knows luxor is not a place for only young people. Most the people who go in there are between 30 and 40. most of them seem to be very successful men who enjoy a bit of their culture. This is a race issue no one complains about any other bar on 111th. It sickens me that so many of you are this ignorant. The people who work at luxor need to make a living to. I spoke with one of the waitresses who pays her way through school. She was stressing how scared she is to loose her job and not be able to pay for college. This is ridiculous.
she can join the club, a bunch of other people have lost their jobs...
Lovely

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Judged:

The luxor is a great place!!!!! ITs Only flavored tobacco!!!! So for all you shit talkers get a life!!!! This is definitely a race issue!!! Ignorance is all i have to say about people like you!!!!!
new worth resident

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

wow wrote:
<quoted text>
she can join the club, a bunch of other people have lost their jobs...
Yea, but this could have been avoided. I love how you can okay it, just because others have lost their jobs. It just seems heartless. Maybe one day you people will lose your jobs and know how it feels. How can you feel okay denying these girls of opportunities?
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

i am recently unemployed...waitress jobs are a dime a dozen..it is also her own responsiblity to try to work for decent establishment....she worked there she should know there were complaints and probably saw the police there on various occasions.

would you like to live with all that noise everyday???
It doesnt matter

Harvey, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

It's not a race issue because there are 3 other hookah bars in Worth that are still operating along with many other Arab owned businesses in town. So its hard to believe they closed the business because of race.

DuPage County

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

new worth resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, but this could have been avoided. I love how you can okay it, just because others have lost their jobs. It just seems heartless. Maybe one day you people will lose your jobs and know how it feels. How can you feel okay denying these girls of opportunities?
Seriously, being a waitress in a hooka lounge is an opportunity? It's the type of job that is still available out there in almost every restaurant.
mark

Hinsdale, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

Luxor is a great place.. How can you judge it if you havnt been there? and it is a opportunity for the girls... They can me up to $300 dollars a weekend.. and no jobs arnt a dime a dozen which is why so many are unemployed.. and as for the neighbors, its a commercial strip not residential. They should not even be living in a building so close. Arabs are the best stop being racist. We are all human beings some of your ignorance is disgusting.
wow

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Judged:

mark wrote:
Luxor is a great place.. How can you judge it if you havnt been there? and it is a opportunity for the girls... They can me up to $300 dollars a weekend.. and no jobs arnt a dime a dozen which is why so many are unemployed.. and as for the neighbors, its a commercial strip not residential. They should not even be living in a building so close. Arabs are the best stop being racist. We are all human beings some of your ignorance is disgusting.
i wish you would comprehend english,because i didn't say JOBS were a dime a dozen, i said WAITRESS job are a dime a dozen. oh,by the way your spelling bad too.
The strip is commercial,but there is also residential,in the US people can chose where they live...if they want to live close to commercial that is there CHOICE. Also the resident was there before the hooka bar. The Hooka bar also has a CHOICE to move.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Worth Discussions

Search the Worth Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Jewel to close third week of June (Apr '09) 23 min silva 363
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 24 min obama 6,593
park district 29 min Times are Tough 4
City hands out another Public works job 1 hr silva 23
Chicago Ridge Village Board 2015 3 hr Replay 35
Concealed carry shooting reignites debate 4 hr Odyssey 1
I grew up in Midlothian Facebook Page (Jul '13) 4 hr who cares 120
•••
•••
•••
•••

Worth Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000