Toll plan is on the table for St. Croix bridge

Full story: TwinCities.com

The Minnesota Department of Transportation on Tuesday released a study that explores the controversial issue of tolling as a way to pay for a new St.
Comments
1 - 20 of 367 Comments Last updated May 3, 2012
First Prev
of 19
Next Last
NUTSTOU

Riverview, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

No surprise that former DFL Sen. from Woodbury, would promote the possibility of a toll charge to cross a Stillwater bridge. The DFL, never saw a tax or fee they didn't like, because it gives them more money to wastefully spend!Saltzman
wolverines

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Theres govt for you, lets create another bureaucracy, how many supervisors, managers, upper management with huge salaryies will it take to administer a toll booth, for govt that would be about 5 to 1 management to toll booth operator, not to mention adding more slugs to the retirement pool thats broke. I suppose they can put out a tip jar to fund there retirement.
big rig

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Good idea, gladly pay 3.00 a day, would save that much and more on gas.
Nope

Gillette, WY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Should be a minimum of $5.00 each way.

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Mayor Hayricki, with all due respect sir, you need to pull your head out of the sand and realize that Stillwater isn't just like any other town in Minnesota. It's a tourist town lying on a state border with a bridge that serves not only seasonal tourists but commuters as well as commercial traffic to parts further into both states. The bridge has been necessary for a lot longer than you sir have been mayor, and funding has always been an issue. In light of the stalling tactics proposed by the Sierra Club and the NPS, the cost of such a bridge has become exponentially more. The simple solution of a toll will have no effect on your town's revenue or tourist business, neither would it affect Stillwater's infrastructure. In fact, extending the bridge from 36 atop the hill, bypassing the downtown district, would in my estimation help decrease the cost of maintaining the roads and utilities downtown and along the river through scenic Stillwater. Why would you oppose a self-funding project? Would you prefer the cost be absorbed mostly by taxpayers who do not use the bridge? Please do not stand in the way of progress with the motivation of "not wanting Stillwater to be treated any differently" for Pete's sake. Consult your downtown business owners and your residents and see what their opinions are. I'm willing to bet none of them are on board with shifting the bulk of the bridge costs onto the backs of already struggling taxpayers.

Zen

Since: Apr 08

Twin Cities

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Correction and apologies for misspelling Mayor Harycki.
Winchester

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Toll roads amount to nothing more than another form of extortion being perpetrated by the government, toll roads in many cases would limit a persons right to move freely. There are more than enough taxes already associated to the automobile and the expense to own and adding toll roads only indicates to me the insatiable appetite our government has for taxing, spending and wasting the tax payers money. This country has lost any and all responsible
leadership.
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

You can talk till you're blue in the face about tolls and funding, but sorry kids, it ain't gonna get built. Time to move on to more progressive infrastructure improvements like mass transit, things that get people out of their Detroit metal mountain death traps.
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

ZenBirdist wrote:
Mayor Hayricki, with all due respect sir, you need to pull your head out of the sand and realize that Stillwater isn't just like any other town in Minnesota. It's a tourist town lying on a state border with a bridge that serves not only seasonal tourists but commuters as well as commercial traffic to parts further into both states. The bridge has been necessary for a lot longer than you sir have been mayor, and funding has always been an issue. In light of the stalling tactics proposed by the Sierra Club and the NPS, the cost of such a bridge has become exponentially more. The simple solution of a toll will have no effect on your town's revenue or tourist business, neither would it affect Stillwater's infrastructure. In fact, extending the bridge from 36 atop the hill, bypassing the downtown district, would in my estimation help decrease the cost of maintaining the roads and utilities downtown and along the river through scenic Stillwater. Why would you oppose a self-funding project? Would you prefer the cost be absorbed mostly by taxpayers who do not use the bridge? Please do not stand in the way of progress with the motivation of "not wanting Stillwater to be treated any differently" for Pete's sake. Consult your downtown business owners and your residents and see what their opinions are. I'm willing to bet none of them are on board with shifting the bulk of the bridge costs onto the backs of already struggling taxpayers.
Zen
Or ban large trucks from downtown. Have a widely publicized bypass route around Stillwater with proper signage(pretty much already exists). Work on sensible transit options like light rail into Wisconsin that uses the existing crossing at Hudson and gets people out of their cars which will soon be fueled by $6 or $7 per gallon gasoline. This will also save our scenery and prevent another culturally and environmentally deleterious crossing of the National Wild And Scenic designated St. Croix River. I've said it before and I say it now, why protect something if then whenever special interests come along with a pet project you toss said protections out the window in a shortsighted attempt at someone's bizarre version of "progress"?
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

NUTSTOU wrote:
No surprise that former DFL Sen. from Woodbury, would promote the possibility of a toll charge to cross a Stillwater bridge. The DFL, never saw a tax or fee they didn't like, because it gives them more money to wastefully spend!Saltzman
If she was/is a Democrat, it is a label that applies only to her party affiliation. Her positions are Republican almost right down the line- Probably something to do with being from that progressive stronghold of Woodbury, where the sandal-wearing, patchouli-smelling hippies are obviously in charge of the cancer spreading across what was once a gorgeous rural landscape...
Richard Head

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Good, it will keep the Cheeseheads out.
Soros funded NPR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Rob wrote:
You can talk till you're blue in the face about tolls and funding, but sorry kids, it ain't gonna get built. Time to move on to more progressive infrastructure improvements like mass transit, things that get people out of their Detroit metal mountain death traps.
LRT??? You are kidding right, its 19th century technology. It's the train that goes from nowhere to nowhere that no one rides and costs billions. Better bet it moves less then one percent of rush hr traffic. Get a brain.
Ronald Reagan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

By the time the tree-hugger groups finally realize that bridge will be built [and yes it will someday be built], that bridge will cost so much, that something in the form of a toll will have to be allowed, or there will be no way to finance it otherwise. By then, that old lift bridge will be deemed unsafe, or something will prevent it`s use, and then watch those same people complain about having to pay some sort of a tool to get across the river. Buy that time, the flimsey excuse of "just use one of the other bridges" will be more than just a simple deal, because traffic in those other areas will have tripled if not more...and the tables will be reversed!
Ronald Reagan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Rob wrote:
<quoted text>
Or ban large trucks from downtown. Have a widely publicized bypass route around Stillwater with proper signage(pretty much already exists). Work on sensible transit options like light rail into Wisconsin that uses the existing crossing at Hudson and gets people out of their cars which will soon be fueled by $6 or $7 per gallon gasoline. This will also save our scenery and prevent another culturally and environmentally deleterious crossing of the National Wild And Scenic designated St. Croix River. I've said it before and I say it now, why protect something if then whenever special interests come along with a pet project you toss said protections out the window in a shortsighted attempt at someone's bizarre version of "progress"?
Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Who the biggest fool of all?

Rob.
Ronald Reagan

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Soros funded NPR wrote:
<quoted text>LRT??? You are kidding right, its 19th century technology. It's the train that goes from nowhere to nowhere that no one rides and costs billions. Better bet it moves less then one percent of rush hr traffic. Get a brain.
Rob is short on brains.
But big on personal agendas.
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Soros funded NPR wrote:
<quoted text>LRT??? You are kidding right, its 19th century technology. It's the train that goes from nowhere to nowhere that no one rides and costs billions. Better bet it moves less then one percent of rush hr traffic. Get a brain.
Ummm... I don't know if you've checked your history out lately, but the automobile is 19th C. technology, my friend. Try taking the train to a Twins game and get back to me.

“Government breeds Poverty”

Since: Jan 11

Woodbury

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

DEMS always do what they do best; raise your taxes and restrict your freedom. We are all not sheep put into ovens by radical lefties.
FrankL

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Tolls don't solve the main problem that the Scenic Riverway rules do not allow a new crossing site. MNDOT could have built a new bridge years ago had they just followed the rules, but MNDOT thinks rules are optional to their grand designs.
Rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

Ronald Reagan wrote:
<quoted text>
Mirror, mirror on the wall.
Who the biggest fool of all?
Rob.
Ron, you had alzheimer's in the White House. I'm supposed to take YOU seriously? " Boodly-biddely-bum..."

By the way, have they managed to get you on the dime, yet? I was totally ticked off when I saw your visage hadn't been added to that shrine to the state religion at Mount Rushmore!
Over taxed already

South Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2011

Judged:

It appears Rep. Kathy Lohmer has the best interest of the people at heart with her apposition to tolls, and for the tax payers to pay some outfit $146.000 to study the issue is about as ridiculous as it gets. Our state is so top heavy with employees, committees, departments, programs and so called experts and the tax payers still had to pay an outsider to tell MnDOT what to do, with all the so called MnDOT experts not being able to come up with some logical reasoning regarding the bridge, what are the tax payers getting for their money when it comes to MnDOT. We do not need more taxes, fees and tolls, what we do need is, a smaller more responsible government.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 19
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Woodbury Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Woodbury People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••