Teen Dies At Kalahari Resort

Full story: Channel 3000

Lake Delton police said a 15-year-old boy died on Saturday at the Kalahari Resort in Wisconsin Dells, reported WISC-TV. Authorities said the teen was staying in the Sands condominiums with a friend and his ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Mar 11, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
christen sharkozy

Milwaukee, WI

#1 Jun 18, 2007
hey this was my lil cuz andy !!!! RIP buddy i love u n miss u ..........u will never b forgotten love always christen

lil_shark_12889@yahoo.com

joe

“emily joe”

Since: Jun 07

baraboo

#2 Jun 18, 2007
what happened?
ryan dunai

AOL

#3 Jun 21, 2007
r.i.p lil andy
Green Bay mom

AOL

#4 Jun 22, 2007
Are drownings in the Dells common? There have been three within a very short timeframe. We've visited many of the larger waterpark resort hotels in the Dells for years and never realized children were drowning there. These incidents make us think twice about the appeal of the Dells. Is this teenager another wave pool casuality?
Michelle

Edgerton, WI

#5 Jun 27, 2007
This was not a drowning casualty; according to reports (however reliable they are) the person was found in a hotel room where he was staying with relatives/friends.
Oldtime Lifeguard

International Falls, MN

#6 Jul 17, 2007
Did we ever hear the probable cause of death in this case?

“RAIDER NATION 4 LIFE”

Since: May 07

baraboo

#7 Aug 14, 2007
Green Bay mom wrote:
Are drownings in the Dells common? There have been three within a very short timeframe. We've visited many of the larger waterpark resort hotels in the Dells for years and never realized children were drowning there. These incidents make us think twice about the appeal of the Dells. Is this teenager another wave pool casuality?
no i've been a lifegaurd in the dells many summers i've only heard of 1 other than this past year.all at red cross parks i was ellis certified.ellis video tapes tests gaurds on regular intervals.plus you are constantly watched by supervisors.ellis claims to be stricted than red cross andn to have better training i don't know if it's true or not.
Angela Stevens

Sauk City, WI

#8 Aug 24, 2007
If there is a drowning at a resort it's very sad and very tragic , but people need to take responsibility. It's not the lifeguards job to babysit your kid because people are to lazy and think they can drop them off and not worry about it. Also, people need to use "common sense" and not drink alcohol and go swimming which many people do and not mess around on the slides doing things they aren't supposed to do in the first place. I don't blame the dells or the resorts, people need to be more careful and look out for their family and friends.
Ruth Young

Pleasanton, CA

#9 Jun 10, 2008
I grew up in Lake Delton. I don't think drownings at water parks (or in local lakes and rivers) should give people a negative impression of the Dells. People need to be aware of their own limitations. Some water attractions, like wave pools, might be too much for a poor swimmer or for young children. It's all about common sense. Water activities, though enjoyable, carry a risk. No one can be kept 100% safe at all times, wherever they might be vacationing. Besides, I haven't heard any confirmation that this was a water related death.
tim

Wisconsin Dells, WI

#10 Jun 21, 2009
I was there just after a man pulled the teen from the pool. Shocking that it was not a life guard pulling the kid out. Of course the resort would cover it up as they told everyone that they "got him back". I agree that it is not the resorts responsiblity to "babysit" this kids. However, this occurred at the outdoor waterpark, in a small pool, with the water depth of 4', where the kids go across on ropes while stepping of the floating animals. I don't know what happened to the teen, however, it is totally unacceptable that the lifeguard did not get to the teen first. It took forever for the on staff doctor to show up and there was never any annoucement over the music system asking if there was a doctor or emt there. It turns out that there were several EMT on the other side of the outdoor water park that could have got there a lot faster than the one from Lake Delton which took at least 10 minutes. The music just kept blaring and everyone else kept trying to keep it quiet. The pool is only at max 60' by 20' and one life guard can watch the whole thing. Totally unacceptable that the lifeguard did not respond or see the teen faster, but these life guards are only teens themselves.
Belinda

AOL

#11 Jun 21, 2009
Michelle wrote:
This was not a drowning casualty; according to reports (however reliable they are) the person was found in a hotel room where he was staying with relatives/friends.
We were there and it happened in the outdoor waterpark and there is no wave pool out there.
tim

Madison, WI

#12 Jun 21, 2009
The posting that I posted was not in regards to this incident as it was in regards to an incident that occurred yesterday June 20, 2009. I am not sure it the child died or not but the rest of the information that I posted was correct regarding the incident that occurred yesterday.
tim

Madison, WI

#13 Jun 21, 2009
Belinda wrote:
<quoted text>
We were there and it happened in the outdoor waterpark and there is no wave pool out there.
Please see my posting as this was in regard to an incident that occurred yesterday June 20, 2009.
Chris Minneapolis

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jun 21, 2009
We were at the Kalahari outdoor water park. June20, 2009. I saw a life guard pull him from the pool. It sound to me that this incident was in the same pool as the teen died in. In yesterdays case it was a young boy about 7-9 years old. . They air lifted him to Madison. We really need to know if he is ok or if has any permanent damage.
Sue

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Jun 21, 2009
We heard from a Doctor that was down there at the time this happened..he said the boy is in a coma & is breathing on his own? He also had a light pulse when they put him in the ambulance. Very sad to watch and we have never seen anything like this..we hope this is true and he is ok.
Linda

Minneapolis, MN

#16 Jun 21, 2009
I was there when they were working on the boy. I was told he was only around 7. Was there two boys that drowned? We were told that he was breathing when they left and they were not sure if he was brain dead or not.
Linda

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Jun 21, 2009
I also know that it was not a lifeguard that pulled the boy from the pool,there was a dance competition there and it was a dad of one of the dancers. I don't think this boy was 15 though, he looked only about 10 or maybe younger. This was on Saturday the 20th that this happened. When I left on Sunday the hotel told me that he was alive but they were not sure if there was any brain damage. My heart goes out to his mother this is a terrible thing to have happen, but the lifeguards worked very hard to keep the circulation going until the paramedics came. Could someone please verify if there were two separate drowinings or if he was really 15.
Tina

Wheeling, IL

#18 Jun 22, 2009
I was also there and my daughter had just walked across the pool holding on to the rope while she walked on little floating animals about 15 minutes prior to all of this happening. Linda the article pertains another incident in 2007. My sister, who is an ER nurse, was there and went over to see if she could help. He is between 7-9 and was blue when they had pulled him out. She said it didn't look good. I would love to know how he turns out as we continue to pray for him every day. It is such a tragedy and all I could do is hug my 10-year-old daughter (who we celebrated her 10th birthday with at Kalahari on Friday night) and my 13 year-old son.
Linda

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Jun 22, 2009
This is so sad. If you find out if he lived I would very much like to know. My kids were very sad about what had happened and we would like to know that there was a good outcome. I hope that what they said was true and he really did have a pulse and was breathing, but I will be praying that there is not any brain damage. My prayers go out to the mother as she was very upset as is expected. If you find out let me know.
Meredi

Cottage Grove, MN

#20 Jun 22, 2009
I was there also, with a few friends. Our back was to the pool when I heard whistles blowing and when I turned around they had him on the ground doing CPR. They must have worked on him for a good 20 min before paramedics arrived. I, like the rest of you, was told he had a slight pulse and was breathing. When we asked the Kalahari staff for updates, we were told "I am sorry, we are not at liberty to discuss this" which made me so disgusted. Any human being who witnessed something like this would want to know if he was ok or not. I was not asking for any personal/private info about him or his family...just wanted to know if he pulled through like we were all praying for. This was such a traumatic thing to witness, I couldn't and still can't get these images out of my head. I am hoping someone can shed some light on his condition.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wisconsin Dells Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WI Who do you support for Governor in Wisconsin in... (Oct '10) 9 hr Tealiban Fascists 7,041
Police presence at mt Olympus village Aug 25 calb2525 3
WI Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Wisconsin... (Oct '10) Aug 19 Pro People 2,234
buying runescape account (Jun '08) Aug 17 Virtualtrades 8
Wanna hang/chill/swim? Aug 8 Matt873 1
Gay high schoolers at Chula Vista? Aug 8 Matt873 1
WI Wisconsin Primary Election Sept 14: Will you vote? (Sep '10) Jul 31 BOBBY 452
•••
•••
•••

Wisconsin Dells Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Wisconsin Dells People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Wisconsin Dells News, Events & Info