HANES MALL CURFEW: Hanes Mall to Enforce Curfew for Teens on We...

Full story: Fox 8 WGHP 112
Teens will soon need an adult with them to enter Hanes Mall on a Friday or Saturday night after complaints from shoppers and merchants prompted mall management to make the change. Full Story
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
uncgreslife

Greensboro, NC

#1 Feb 11, 2010
According to the Hane's Mall website, it has to be a parent or guardian, not just someone over 21.

I'm twenty years old and I'm GLAD they're doing this. I'm not trying to sound like a goody-goody or saying I'm holier-than-though, but when I was younger I hated watching all these teens and preteens running around causing havoc.

Maybe this can also be a way for parents to tell their sons to pull their pants UP and for their daughters to put some more clothes ON. It's disturbing what I see walking through any mall....
Bubba

Wysox, PA

#2 Feb 11, 2010
It is like movie theaters parents drop the kids off for them to be babysat..no responsibility on [parents behalf....amazing huh..
salita laughlin

Pine Hall, NC

#3 Feb 11, 2010
As a young adult who will get carded at this mall to enjoy a night of shopping even though i'm 20, I think that this is pretty annoying.
There are very few places that many parents even think their teens could be safe in when they spend time with their friends. The mall has always been considered one of those places because of the police presence, but the teens are going to loose that. I find this annoying for one because I will be carded to go to the mall now and secondly that my friends who do a little shopping as they hang out in the mall will now be more likely to hang out on the streets and get involved with more illegal activity than bugging some shoppers could ever make.
Unless the mall is going to offer teens another alternative for social interaction, this is a bed decision. I also think that the mall will probably be surprised how much revenue they will loose when all the teens who "buy nothing" are gone.
Kristan

Burlington, NC

#4 Feb 11, 2010
salita laughlin wrote:
As a young adult who will get carded at this mall to enjoy a night of shopping even though i'm 20, I think that this is pretty annoying.
There are very few places that many parents even think their teens could be safe in when they spend time with their friends. The mall has always been considered one of those places because of the police presence, but the teens are going to loose that. I find this annoying for one because I will be carded to go to the mall now and secondly that my friends who do a little shopping as they hang out in the mall will now be more likely to hang out on the streets and get involved with more illegal activity than bugging some shoppers could ever make.
Unless the mall is going to offer teens another alternative for social interaction, this is a bed decision. I also think that the mall will probably be surprised how much revenue they will loose when all the teens who "buy nothing" are gone.
What? Are you going to start shooting heroin or selling your body because you can't hang out in the mall? Getting involved in illegal activity is a PERSONAL CHOICE. Also it is not up to the mall to offer people a place for social interaction. It's there for shopping.
Leslie

Reidsville, NC

#5 Feb 11, 2010
My daughter is 16 years old and I have dropped her off at the mall many times to go shopping and to eat dinner. She is a very responsible girl who actually does shop and spend money at the mall. It's a shame that because of others she will no longer get to spend an occassional weekend evening there with her friends. I don't think every teen should be punished because of others bad actions.

I think Hanes Mall should increase the security, throw out anyone suspicious of or actually causing a problem, no matter how small, and ban them from the mall. All teens should be carded and the ones that have violated the rules and been banned could be kept from entering the mall. Make it a one time offense. Then once the main trouble makers are banned, their friends would stop going also. Just a thought.
Anonymous

Clemmons, NC

#6 Feb 11, 2010
I think this policy is really unnecessary because the mall doesn't want people just hanging out with their friends there and not buying anything which is what most teens do.
REGINA

Tobaccoville, NC

#7 Feb 11, 2010
OH WOW.....Where have I been.I did not know all that was going on. If it helps, I am all for it. I am not a mall shopper anyway.
JUSTICE

High Point, NC

#8 Feb 11, 2010
This is Great. The reason it is great is because all of these gang banger wantabe's try to intimedate regular folks, by walking 6 wide and make you walk around them.
Well, NEWS ALERT, I have a carry/conceal permit and I ain't going to move out of thier damn way, just because they think I need to.
This policy will save some mama's baby from being blown to Hell, for being Johnny Badass.
Kelster

Asheboro, NC

#9 Feb 11, 2010
Speaking as a manager of an establishment that serves the public, we have more problems with teens that are unsupervised by parents. Just to name a few: Property damage, disrespectful to others around them by cursing and saying rude things, hanging out and getting in the way of customers that actually are spending money. It may seem unnecessary for some of you, but for those of us that have to continually tell these kids to go hang out somewhere else, it's a blessing.
Bubba

Wysox, PA

#10 Feb 11, 2010
Leslie wrote:
My daughter is 16 years old and I have dropped her off at the mall many times to go shopping and to eat dinner. She is a very responsible girl who actually does shop and spend money at the mall. It's a shame that because of others she will no longer get to spend an occassional weekend evening there with her friends. I don't think every teen should be punished because of others bad actions.
I think Hanes Mall should increase the security, throw out anyone suspicious of or actually causing a problem, no matter how small, and ban them from the mall. All teens should be carded and the ones that have violated the rules and been banned could be kept from entering the mall. Make it a one time offense. Then once the main trouble makers are banned, their friends would stop going also. Just a thought.
All parents think that there kids do wrong and just out with there friends...NEWS ALERT..that's very naive thinking...

Do you realize how many security officers that would take...If parents just did a better job minding there kids and checking up on them maybe this would not take place..Raise ya children parents so society doesn't...

I think this is a great idea..i would never go to the mall on weekends even when I was a teen for this same reason..

Since: Jan 10

Yadkinville, NC

#11 Feb 12, 2010
Leslie wrote:
My daughter is 16 years old and I have dropped her off at the mall many times to go shopping and to eat dinner. She is a very responsible girl who actually does shop and spend money at the mall. It's a shame that because of others she will no longer get to spend an occassional weekend evening there with her friends. I don't think every teen should be punished because of others bad actions.
I think Hanes Mall should increase the security, throw out anyone suspicious of or actually causing a problem, no matter how small, and ban them from the mall. All teens should be carded and the ones that have violated the rules and been banned could be kept from entering the mall. Make it a one time offense. Then once the main trouble makers are banned, their friends would stop going also. Just a thought.
To enforce the kind of system you're suggesting would put the mall out of business and not to mention would be impossible to handle.

Unfortunately, the majority of teenagers are not responsible. Their parents dump them at the mall like it's some kind of daycare service. Quite honestly, I wouldn't want to drop my child off at a place like that without supervision. But, that's just me.
Marie

Mocksville, NC

#12 Feb 12, 2010
I think this policy is long over due...I have not gone to the mall in YEARS because of the crowd of teens. They make it IMPOSSIBLE to enjoy shopping. Walking 6 wide, slower than a snail and you can't get around them...not to mention the foul language that my 2 small children don't need to learn.

The purpose of the mall is not for social interaction...it's for shopping. Unfortunately the real shoppers have been scared away from the mall by the crowds of people that make it an uncomfortable place to be in.
Barb

Mocksville, NC

#13 Feb 12, 2010
The idea that this policy is going to cause kids to go participate in illegal activities is rediculous and idiotic!! Most of them probably already ARE participating in illegal activities in the first place...the mall is not keeping them out of trouble...it's just giving them an indoor place to do it.
PARENTS are supposed to be the ones to keep their kids out of trouble...not the mall.
Go Granny Go

Thomasville, NC

#14 Feb 12, 2010
I understand the thought behind this however, I would make the age 16 instead of 18. If someone is able to drive themselves to the mall to shop, and play by the rules, they should be able to enter. Also, there are 16 and 17 year old's working at that mall on Friday and Saturday evenings. Therefore, the age to enter should be 16 not 18.
Leslie

Reidsville, NC

#15 Feb 12, 2010
Leslie wrote:
My daughter is 16 years old and I have dropped her off at the mall many times to go shopping and to eat dinner. She is a very responsible girl who actually does shop and spend money at the mall. It's a shame that because of others she will no longer get to spend an occassional weekend evening there with her friends. I don't think every teen should be punished because of others bad actions.
I think Hanes Mall should increase the security, throw out anyone suspicious of or actually causing a problem, no matter how small, and ban them from the mall. All teens should be carded and the ones that have violated the rules and been banned could be kept from entering the mall. Make it a one time offense. Then once the main trouble makers are banned, their friends would stop going also. Just a thought.
OK per my earlier post above, didn't the article say that all teens would be carded to check their age? Is this not going to require extra security? I would assume that you would have to have paid security in case there is any problems with someone under age trying to enter. You would have to have someone at every mall entrance including the independent store entrances so yes that would be a high expense right there for the mall anyway per their new policy. The only added expense would be to have a data base available to check for banned teens using their school ID's. If you are under 21 and you didn't have any kind of ID like school, license or state ID you could not enter.

I'm really not a naive person when it comes to my child. Fortunately I know my childs personality, friends,and morals. It's sad to think most people out there think all teens are trouble makers. I'm 50 years old. I was a teen once and I know how some kids are today but I also know that there are good kids out there too who get things taken from them because of the actions of others.

I'm curious as to how many of you that have posted on this thread have a teenager? What would you suggest kids do on a weekend night to occupy their time? What if you are a single working parent as I am and have a limited timeframe to take your kid places and also keep your household going?
Leslie

Reidsville, NC

#16 Feb 12, 2010
Go Granny Go wrote:
I understand the thought behind this however, I would make the age 16 instead of 18. If someone is able to drive themselves to the mall to shop, and play by the rules, they should be able to enter. Also, there are 16 and 17 year old's working at that mall on Friday and Saturday evenings. Therefore, the age to enter should be 16 not 18.
I would think 16 would be a good age also. They are making acceptions for teens 16 and older who work there.
Leslie

Reidsville, NC

#17 Feb 12, 2010
One last thing. Don't get me wrong. I know there are uncontrollable kids at the mall. I've complained about them in the past a couple of times and they do get on my nerves. I just think there is a better way to handle this situation so that the good kids won't be penalized.

And yes, I think the parents should be responsible for their kids and should teach them manners but unfortunately there are parents out there that just don't give a hoot how their kids act and the sad thing is the kids are probably mocking their parents. You learn what you see.

As for the stealing, I work at a big box retail store where the primaray customers are older adults. We still have an unbelievable amount of theft. It's gonna happen as long as people can get away with it.
Go Granny Go

Thomasville, NC

#18 Feb 12, 2010
It is sad that we've gotten to this. The expense to police each entrance on Friday and Saturday nights is ridiculous. First of all, parents shouldn't "drop their kids off at the mall", I certainly never did because I was afraid some old sicko would take my kids.

However, if the mall would have ample security on hand and actually throw out the thugs and get a restraining orders to keep them out to start with, we wouldn't be where we are. There are plenty of over 21 total thugs at that mall everyday.
Been there

Mocksville, NC

#19 Feb 12, 2010
Go Granny Go wrote:
It is sad that we've gotten to this. The expense to police each entrance on Friday and Saturday nights is ridiculous. First of all, parents shouldn't "drop their kids off at the mall", I certainly never did because I was afraid some old sicko would take my kids.
However, if the mall would have ample security on hand and actually throw out the thugs and get a restraining orders to keep them out to start with, we wouldn't be where we are. There are plenty of over 21 total thugs at that mall everyday.
Granny,

Ample security my butt, my wife's car broke down one Friday evening in the back mall parking lot behind Sears, and I spent over two hours waiting on a tow truck to tow her car. I saw mall security in the back parking lot on the average of every 30 minutes, thats how long it takes them to make rounds. I did not feel safe and secure back there. If an adult male with a concealed handgun permit and a loaded handgun is uneasy how do you think that my wife would have felt back there all that time.

Irresponsible parents are the reason the younger generation in this country are so disrespectful and prone to crimes of all kinds including petty and major crimes at our local shopping malls and stores in general. Three teenage punks tried to rough up my 60 year old male neighbor inside the mall last year.

Some parents are just looking for a baby sitting service at the mall while they go off wine, dine and party.

Been there
Christy

United States

#20 Feb 12, 2010
This is totally out of line. I can find plenty of rude, crude, dishonest adults of all ages that are far worse than teenagers. So where will it stop. Keep it up and eventually all of us will have to have a police escort to go shopping.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winston-Salem Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 37 min hpinnc 59,634
marcel 2 hr bookie 1
ptsd 2 hr bookie 1
Low flying, window-less aircraft (Jan '12) 23 hr Almost done 24
Letters on Homestead Heritage: Community or cult? (Oct '07) Mon Stephen 6,269
Looking Mon Almost done 1
Looking to find/contact Resa Sep 14 Almost done 1
•••
•••
•••

Winston-Salem Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Winston-Salem People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Winston-Salem News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winston-Salem
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••