How would you improve Winona?

Posted in the Winona Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Venus Frog

Bogotá, Colombia

#1 Oct 5, 2010
What ideas do you have to attract business, and thus employment and wealth, to the Winona area?

Driving through the town square it is hard not to notice the town is dying as several businesses that once existed: flower shop, dentist offices, pawn shops, hardware store, have dried up. It really seems that the only difference between Winona and Birch Tree is that Winona has 2x the population.

There is an exodus of homegrown talent that flees to Springfield, St. Louis, and Columbia for educational opportunities and jobs. How would you propose that we not only retain the students produced in the area, but also attract outsiders to help grow the local economy and bring in more wealth?

Winona is stuck right in the middle of one of the most impoverished areas in the country, yet is blessed with abundant natural resources and people for a secure labor pool. A lot of the problems that we find in Winona: drug use, misdemeanor crime, and unemployment, is mostly treatable with the advent of jobs and thus more wealth brought into the community. If you compared any poverty stricken area with a wealthy one, the differences in achievement, starting with education which then carries into the peoples careers, are astounding. Wealth indeed at best eliminates, and at worst, alleviates, the negative aspects of society.

How would you propose we attract businesses?
winona citizan

United States

#2 Oct 5, 2010
There are many ways to attract businesses like cleaning winona up. Instead of tearing down houses and buildings that look like crap or are condemned build new ones in its place. A business or something of the sort to eliminate drug and alcohol use put n something constructive for the kids to do like a bowling ally or even an arcade. Worked really well where I came from a place smaller then winona. Put in a mini walmart or even a grocery store. Stuff like that helps a lot in attracting people
IfI werein business

United States

#3 Oct 6, 2010
I would have one concern, return on my investment. If I had some delusions of grandure like helping kids and poor folks I would soon run out of money and become one of them. Thats a government's job. My job in business is to earn a return for my investors money, period.
I don't think retail consumer stores, as convenient and entertaining as they might be, would do much to help folks improve their income situation except for a few minimun wage service jobs that only help keep poor people poor.
If my business was manufacturing some high value added machine parts and decided to locate here where would my labor force come from? I would need millrights, certified welders, machinists skilled at reading shop drawings,robotics and computerized equipment. Wouldn't my investors be better served to locate closer to such a labor supply such as a larger city?
Perhaps there is a good reason, worldwide, the migrations are toward larger cities where there is a better supply of resources and labor. That doesn't mean the rural towns can't have some smaller customized, diversified, specialized manufacturing done on smaller scales, employing only a few. It just wont be enough to keep all those of each generation "down on the farm" so to speak.
IfI werein business

United States

#4 Oct 6, 2010
I might argue that Winona is not dying although not growing in leaps and bounds but has increased in population by about 2% in the last ten years.
It seems several retirees are coming to live in the area with West Plains being mostly at the center of that trend.
Lessons from history have shown us growth can have its downside. Los Angeles and Phoenix are running out of water and looks like in the long trend cannot sustain such large populations.
We have plenty of water, although expensive to get to in some hardrock places. What if we had a big influx of new residents? How long would our water supply last? Not to mention polution of ground water in this limestone country that doesnot support good septic tank filtering. I doubt we could support a large population without some serious problems.
We may be poor and not have much material wealth, but a hell of a lot of us are just as happy as if we had good sense or all those things.
Its ok for you tourists to come for a visit but like the state of Oregon said to it's tourists,to no avial, thirty years ago, don't come to stay.
IfI werein business

United States

#5 Oct 6, 2010
Let me shoot a hole in one more baloon then I'll quit.
The crime thing: I need to do some research first but I believe the idea of a negative correlation between jobs and crime in a community doesn't hold up. In small communities where a big employer seeking cheap unskilled labor comes in and local labor pool is not adequate then brings in people from other areas or other countries the crime rate sky rockets. Wont mention any names but have seen it personally.
Wealth is slippery and easily slips out of most of our hands rather quickly, kinda like quicksilver, murcury. It sooner or later ends up in the hands of only a few. Even when a government decides its time for a redistrubution of wealth and gives us each 1,000$. How long you think it will take it to end up in the hands of only a few?
Like my mamma always said: "a fool and his money is soon parted".
winona citizan

Linden, NJ

#6 Oct 6, 2010
IfI werein business wrote:
Let me shoot a hole in one more baloon then I'll quit.
The crime thing: I need to do some research first but I believe the idea of a negative correlation between jobs and crime in a community doesn't hold up. In small communities where a big employer seeking cheap unskilled labor comes in and local labor pool is not adequate then brings in people from other areas or other countries the crime rate sky rockets. Wont mention any names but have seen it personally.
Wealth is slippery and easily slips out of most of our hands rather quickly, kinda like quicksilver, murcury. It sooner or later ends up in the hands of only a few. Even when a government decides its time for a redistrubution of wealth and gives us each 1,000$. How long you think it will take it to end up in the hands of only a few?
Like my mamma always said: "a fool and his money is soon parted".
Strange have u taken a real good look at winona lately its going down hill has been. Its because of people like u that. A lot of people are poor in this town we are looking for ideas to help this town not looking for the down falls and how u would not help the poor. Which is messed up by the way. And pretty sad if u ask me
IfI werein business

United States

#7 Oct 6, 2010
winona citizan wrote:
<quoted text>
Strange have u taken a real good look at winona lately its going down hill has been. Its because of people like u that. A lot of people are poor in this town we are looking for ideas to help this town not looking for the down falls and how u would not help the poor. Which is messed up by the way. And pretty sad if u ask me
Bet I've given more to help poor folks than you have. My point was if I gave some of you dumfuks $100,000 you would not have a thought about investing it to make it grow. You would spend it all for more cigarettes, liquor, fancy clothes, cars or drugs, toys and junk and quick as a cat can wink its eye too. A hundred percent consumption because you have been taught through advertising, to consume, buy, enjoy not earn, save, invest. You just whine about those who have invested wisely that they have somehow taken your share.
Sorry it was over your dipstick head but my point is that its not in the cards for a small town out in the sticks to attract businesses offering good jobs, maybe some low tech, low payjobs. My suggestion would be to get educated or trained in a useful skill of the future (computerbased, robotics things like that) then go where you are needed. Stop trying to live in the past, get on the future train man.
jack woods

United States

#8 Oct 6, 2010
As I look aruond I see nothing wrong I am planning more trailers for rent and maybe just maybe a motel comming soon.
IfI werein business

United States

#9 Oct 6, 2010
winona citizan wrote:
There are many ways to attract businesses like cleaning winona up. Instead of tearing down houses and buildings that look like crap or are condemned build new ones in its place. A business or something of the sort to eliminate drug and alcohol use put n something constructive for the kids to do like a bowling ally or even an arcade. Worked really well where I came from a place smaller then winona. Put in a mini walmart or even a grocery store. Stuff like that helps a lot in attracting people
Its your mind thats messed up my friend. Just reread what you wrote. What kind of business would you suggest to eliminate drug and alcohol use and how much will you give to build it and get it started? Then once started who will pay costs as the accrue, customers or you? Now the xxx arcade sounds like a hell of an idea for a solid financial future for a town. Wish I had thought of that. A miniwalmart, lets ask them what they think of that idea. Instead of tearing down houses and building that look like crap do what with them and use what to grease the wheels of commerce?
If it worked really well where you come from, shit man, I'd head back that way and take a few of our dead loads along for the ride.
Winona doesn't need an big influx of new people. Yes, nice if a few of the graduating class could stay and have good jobs.
More people, more industry, rapid growth, if that is what you want try Las Vegas or coastal cities of the Carolinas or go on up to St. Louey. Shannon County has some things unique that people from all over the country can only dream about. Would you destroy that forever to make it like those places? I wouldn't.
IfI werein business

United States

#10 Oct 6, 2010
jack woods wrote:
As I look aruond I see nothing wrong I am planning more trailers for rent and maybe just maybe a motel comming soon.
If there are people needing what you have Jack, then you are satisfying a community need. Good for you.
myglass is halffull

United States

#11 Oct 6, 2010
I see a few pretty nice new houses having been built in and around town in the last few years. Then going up 19 I see a pretty nice lumber hardware store with an inventory and prices good enough for cities 2x the size of Winona. Even the liquor Store has a "Baptist drive up window".
A fourlane highway going from coast to coast a couple of blocks away. Two restaurants, a caseys, 3 gas stations, a general store, pharmacy, ball diamonds, park board with community activities, about a thousand square miles of wilderness with three rivers flowing through. I would take more money and easier job but this aint the worst place to be.
concerned

Saint Charles, MO

#12 Oct 6, 2010
could the answer be starting small? people could work elsewhere Cape, PB, WP, and bring money into the community and spend. this may provide seed money for bigger things. education is critical and there needs to be something to keep the best and brightest. no one would want the problems of these larger communities
winona citizan

Linden, NJ

#13 Oct 6, 2010
<quoted text>
Its your mind thats messed up my friend. Just reread what you wrote. What kind of business would you suggest to eliminate drug and alcohol use and how much will you give to build it and get it started? Then once started who will pay costs as the accrue, customers or you? Now the xxx arcade sounds like a hell of an idea for a solid financial future for a town. Wish I had thought of that. A miniwalmart, lets ask them what they think of that idea. Instead of tearing down houses and building that look like crap do what with them and use what to grease the wheels of commerce?
If it worked really well where you come from, shit man, I'd head back that way and take a few of our dead loads along for the ride.
Winona doesn't need an big influx of new people. Yes, nice if a few of the graduating class could stay and have good jobs.
More people, more industry, rapid growth, if that is what you want try Las Vegas or coastal cities of the Carolinas or go on up to St. Louey. Shannon County has some things unique that people from all over the country can only dream about. Would you destroy that forever to make it like those places? I wouldn't.
I never said xxx arcade dumnfuk I said an arcade to get the kids off the street. And as for giving to the poor u know very little to nothing about me jack ass I have given more to to the poor then u know just because I'm a winona citizan. Doesn't mean I'm poor. Dipshit oh what little u know and what I gave up for the poor u would never even dream about maybe a wett dream for that's all u can produce. Let me tell u a little bit where I come from a town smaller then winona. A town where their main business is a chicken factory. Ok. Take that for stridew but when u come back on someon elses comment better fucking know what the hell ur talking about. Yes there are a few nicer houses built a few trailers for rent maybe a new motel coming in but what about jobs. The main topic of the forum. Walmart came to that small town yes it was a small walmart like mtn view but still a walmart they have a teens arcade u know pool bowling shit like that. Nope no xxx arcade there and as if a teen or a kid could get off the streets that way. Its idiots likwe u. Ifiwasinbusiness that make small towns not prosper think about it dumbfuk. A small town can prosper without becoming huge like st louis or kansas city. As for the drug use and shit it happens no matter where u go. But where I come from u heard of less and less kids dying or getting put in juvvy for it. So know who ur saying shit about before u open ur mouth
winona citizan

Linden, NJ

#14 Oct 6, 2010
<quoted text>
Bet I've given more to help poor folks than you have. My point was if I gave some of you dumfuks $100,000 you would not have a thought about investing it to make it grow. You would spend it all for more cigarettes, liquor, fancy clothes, cars or drugs, toys and junk and quick as a cat can wink its eye too. A hundred percent consumption because you have been taught through advertising, to consume, buy, enjoy not earn, save, invest. You just whine about those who have invested wisely that they have somehow taken your share.
Sorry it was over your dipstick head but my point is that its not in the cards for a small town out in the sticks to attract businesses offering good jobs, maybe some low tech, low payjobs. My suggestion would be to get educated or trained in a useful skill of the future (computerbased, robotics things like that) then go where you are needed. Stop trying to live in the past, get on the future train man.
Oh and fyi. Ifiwasinbusiness 100000 dollers wouldn't go on all the junk u said yes I smoke ohh but I pay for it with my money. But that money would be put towards. An investment or a stock then the money I got from that would go toward getting the kids and homeless off the streets. I hate how all u as*holes think all of the poor folk whine. Even though I have money and all do u think that I wouldn't give it all up if it meant to help others out I would. Better poor and happy then rich and not be. I've been poor I've walked those shoes would gladly do it again.
Oh my

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#15 Oct 6, 2010
To Winona Citizen... You really would have sounded much more intelligent if you had not used such foul language. Proper English may have helped to prove your point also. Maybe if you had spoken just a tiny bit better, people would be willing to actually believe in what you say.... Just my opinion.... I know, we all have them and they are not always a nice thing.
I got an idea

United States

#16 Oct 6, 2010
winona citizan wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said xxx arcade dumnfuk I said an arcade to get the kids off the street. And as for giving to the poor u know very little to nothing about me jack ass I have given more to to the poor then u know just because I'm a winona citizan. Doesn't mean I'm poor. Dipshit oh what little u know and what I gave up for the poor u would never even dream about maybe a wett dream for that's all u can produce. Let me tell u a little bit where I come from a town smaller then winona. A town where their main business is a chicken factory. Ok. Take that for stridew but when u come back on someon elses comment better fucking know what the hell ur talking about. Yes there are a few nicer houses built a few trailers for rent maybe a new motel coming in but what about jobs. The main topic of the forum. Walmart came to that small town yes it was a small walmart like mtn view but still a walmart they have a teens arcade u know pool bowling shit like that. Nope no xxx arcade there and as if a teen or a kid could get off the streets that way. Its idiots likwe u. Ifiwasinbusiness that make small towns not prosper think about it dumbfuk. A small town can prosper without becoming huge like st louis or kansas city. As for the drug use and shit it happens no matter where u go. But where I come from u heard of less and less kids dying or getting put in juvvy for it. So know who ur saying shit about before u open ur mouth
Would you contact WalMart for us and see if they would come build in Winona? You seem much more articulate and convincing than the others and could probably tell them you came from the chicken factory town and have done a lot for the poor. That would carry a lot of weight I bet. Maybe they can start right away and I could get a job in the checkout. I want to prosper to winona citizan.
here a better idia

United States

#17 Oct 6, 2010
i work at the cap factory but would like to prosper more winona citizan. do you think u could talk the chicken factory to come to winona and have good chicken jobs here to. if u do this things for us maybe we vote u in for mayor next time. but we need to keep it quite or all the forieners will come here work harder and cheaper to take our good chicken jobs.
winona citizan

Linden, NJ

#18 Oct 6, 2010
Yeah I don't check my spelling or check my grammer when being called a dumbfuk by someone who don't know me as for the whole walmart thing actually I can talk to one of the walton boys seeing how he lives in that small town I keep talking about. Banks at the bank there as well and he is a friend of the family. One thing one all the bs and the jobs and stuff people have to want it to actually work for it. As for my foul language sry if it offends anyone but I am sick of the rich saying the poor whine to much. Hell the rich never seems to have enough. Hince the fact I would give it all up to be poor again as for my kids they will get their educations but they won't grow up spoiled they would know what its like to work for a living. And as for the chicken factories they pay as much as the cap factory. Sometimes less if u want to be more accurate
winona citizan

Linden, NJ

#19 Oct 6, 2010
here a better idia wrote:
i work at the cap factory but would like to prosper more winona citizan. do you think u could talk the chicken factory to come to winona and have good chicken jobs here to. if u do this things for us maybe we vote u in for mayor next time. but we need to keep it quite or all the forieners will come here work harder and cheaper to take our good chicken jobs.
To here a better idia u can keep the job as mayor. As if I would take that job. Critisize all u want I don't care I tried to put ideas out there as the forum was about.
Best Idea

Kissee Mills, MO

#20 Oct 7, 2010
I think the best way to improve Winona is to burn it down and start all over! It's a VERY depressing town! I am sooooooooo glad I don't live there and live in Eminence!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winona Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Windshield replacement (Dec '13) 5 hr Pavlos Lombardi 20
Keep Christ In Christmas 7 hr Person of Faith 5
NEW mayor Patrick Reed (Apr '12) 13 hr Dreadful 34
Jeep for land 16 hr ldr 3
mat burgess (Feb '09) 22 hr mat 164
place to park rv during the summer. 23 hr info 2
Who is she? Tue From another state 6
Winona Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Winona People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Winona News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Winona

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:20 am PST

NBC Sports 8:20AM
De'Anthony Thomas garners AFC special teams player of the week honors
Bleacher Report 9:43 AM
Offseason Should Start with Trading for Cutler
NBC Sports 2:15 PM
Should fantasy owners bench Eli Manning in Week 16?
Bleacher Report 5:58 PM
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Pittsburgh Steelers Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick
Bleacher Report 9:09 PM
Breaking Down New York's Game Plan