truth

Nabb, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

How about the new quarry on 627 in winchester?

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2013

truth wrote:
How about the new quarry on 627 in winchester?
Is that the one they just had the zoning meeting for?
destroyer

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 7, 2013

I hope they build 5 quarry's and 10 power plants down there, freakin rich bastards!
they should

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

Judged:

The land is useless for real farming, its a hill side with right of ways to private land threw it. You wouldnt want to graze animals with open rightaway to public access. The hill is dangerous to mow, I know Ive done it. The bottom of the land flood in rainy seasons, due in part to the storm drains for 627. The previous land owners made money off the land when times allowed a small farmer to do so. The land now is useless, it has power lines running across it, it would be hard to turn it into a housing area due to the sewage plant beside it. So whats the big deal anyway. The sewage plant didnt get this much attention and it stinks, so who cares about a quarry that is already within 600 yards of the location anyway. The county can use the money and the hand full of people that are complaining will quiet down once the vote is approved by fiscal court.
The comp plan that the group keeps talking about is a guide not law, this is and option the county never thought would occur but now the county has the option to make money off this so yes it should be approved, We have a lower howards creek preserve that we all helped to buy but only sections of it are open to the public, so why should this group complain they seem to have figured out how to get land for themselves on the tax dollar. I say build the quarry.
But

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

they should wrote:
The land is useless for real farming, its a hill side with right of ways to private land threw it. You wouldnt want to graze animals with open rightaway to public access. The hill is dangerous to mow, I know Ive done it. The bottom of the land flood in rainy seasons, due in part to the storm drains for 627. The previous land owners made money off the land when times allowed a small farmer to do so. The land now is useless, it has power lines running across it, it would be hard to turn it into a housing area due to the sewage plant beside it. So whats the big deal anyway. The sewage plant didnt get this much attention and it stinks, so who cares about a quarry that is already within 600 yards of the location anyway. The county can use the money and the hand full of people that are complaining will quiet down once the vote is approved by fiscal court.
The comp plan that the group keeps talking about is a guide not law, this is and option the county never thought would occur but now the county has the option to make money off this so yes it should be approved, We have a lower howards creek preserve that we all helped to buy but only sections of it are open to the public, so why should this group complain they seem to have figured out how to get land for themselves on the tax dollar. I say build the quarry.
The only problem I have with a new quarry is the road and traffic. It has the existing quarry trucks, new school, truckers and travelers using it as a short cut for 75/64 along with residents. If it was a four lane from light to light, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's already congested.
Jack

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2013

Judged:

But wrote:
<quoted text>
The only problem I have with a new quarry is the road and traffic. It has the existing quarry trucks, new school, truckers and travelers using it as a short cut for 75/64 along with residents. If it was a four lane from light to light, it wouldn't be so bad, but it's already congested.
I have additional problems with the quarry. In addition to your point about congestion which is valid (especially using the route of the new high school)I think, as well, that it is a gateway to Clark County and Winchester. When you come up 627 from Madison county and see that god-awful looking quarry and asphalt plant on your right and left, can you imagine coming up the hill and seeing a rock quarry? Welcome to Winchester! Spend money your tourists! it might say as they blast and you can see the dust and nothing else. This is a beautiful, picturesque, and HISTORIC piece of real estate and to ruin it would be a sin! Remember, once the blasting is done and the 75' of precious limestone is gone and turned into some construction, then they will move on to the next hole. How will the Allen Company ie Leonard Lawson Co. make it beautiful once again? Take a trip to Eastern Kentucky and see what they have done with the moutaintops that they have leveled off and ask yourself if that is what you really want with this location?
interested

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
I have additional problems with the quarry. In addition to your point about congestion which is valid (especially using the route of the new high school)I think, as well, that it is a gateway to Clark County and Winchester. When you come up 627 from Madison county and see that god-awful looking quarry and asphalt plant on your right and left, can you imagine coming up the hill and seeing a rock quarry? Welcome to Winchester! Spend money your tourists! it might say as they blast and you can see the dust and nothing else. This is a beautiful, picturesque, and HISTORIC piece of real estate and to ruin it would be a sin! Remember, once the blasting is done and the 75' of precious limestone is gone and turned into some construction, then they will move on to the next hole. How will the Allen Company ie Leonard Lawson Co. make it beautiful once again? Take a trip to Eastern Kentucky and see what they have done with the moutaintops that they have leveled off and ask yourself if that is what you really want with this location?
The area is already home to a quarry,, crossing a bridge doesnt change the fact it is a neighbor. The gateway has a sewage plant that stinks as you come up the hill, already been complaints filed, so welcome to winchester,, stinky town. what the big deal if a new quarry is beside an old quarry. The people in the area that say its a gateway need to get on the path to clean up old empty trailor parks, half sunk boats in the river on the (clark county side) clean up the messes you have before you worry about a money making business. That the county needs. If the other issues werent there I might see the point of arguing but really if you don't push to clean every thing up then why complain about something that will help the county.
Jack

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

interested wrote:
<quoted text>
The area is already home to a quarry,, crossing a bridge doesnt change the fact it is a neighbor. The gateway has a sewage plant that stinks as you come up the hill, already been complaints filed, so welcome to winchester,, stinky town. what the big deal if a new quarry is beside an old quarry. The people in the area that say its a gateway need to get on the path to clean up old empty trailor parks, half sunk boats in the river on the (clark county side) clean up the messes you have before you worry about a money making business. That the county needs. If the other issues werent there I might see the point of arguing but really if you don't push to clean every thing up then why complain about something that will help the county.
The tourists that travel up 627 and cross the bridge from Madison County do not see trailer parks nor do they see half sunk boats. A money making business? at what expense? I mean we can have Oriental massage parlors on the Clark County side of the river (just like they do in Madison County) and because that is a money making business, you would be OK with that? Think about the dollars that are spent right here in Clark County with the tourists and my expectation is that we show them good quality- not a burping pile of limestone dust as they climb the hill. Oh by the way, the sewage plant (as you call it) was not one of my favorites either.
Tom C

Winchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 24, 2013

Judged:

No offense, but I don't really see tourists coming to Winchester. There isn't many shops down town and a lot if it is run down and trashy. There aren't that many places to shop or eat on the bypass. People coming from I75 are a lot more likely to stop in Richmond, Berea, or go on to Lexington. I understand if you just think the quarry is an eyesore.
Jack

Paris, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 25, 2013

No offense taken. I saw a report from the Tourist person in Clark County that an ungodly amount was spent on tourism last year. I don't recall the figure but it surprised me and I would guess it would surprise you as well. I agree with you about not many places to shop or eat that are unique and "tourist grabbers" but if these figures are real, then you and I don't fully understand the impact. Stinky and Coco's is unique.....Gaunces is probably unique although I have never been there, and the Cairn coffee shop and Bentley and Murray downtown is def unique. I do think the quarry would be an eyesore and a PERMANENT eyesore as it cannot be reclaimed once it is mined. Let Leonard Lawson do business somewhere else I would say. Thanks for being civil which is a rarity on Topix.
Curious

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Jack wrote:
No offense taken. I saw a report from the Tourist person in Clark County that an ungodly amount was spent on tourism last year. I don't recall the figure but it surprised me and I would guess it would surprise you as well. I agree with you about not many places to shop or eat that are unique and "tourist grabbers" but if these figures are real, then you and I don't fully understand the impact. Stinky and Coco's is unique.....Gaunces is probably unique although I have never been there, and the Cairn coffee shop and Bentley and Murray downtown is def unique. I do think the quarry would be an eyesore and a PERMANENT eyesore as it cannot be reclaimed once it is mined. Let Leonard Lawson do business somewhere else I would say. Thanks for being civil which is a rarity on Topix.
The places you mention are within the city, the half sunk boats, the trailer park atc are down near Hall's which is a place to visit, The quarry is already there, why not let Clark county gain the tax money rather than Madision county? The issue that are mentioned are indeed concern. The smelly sewage plant is an issue, what about the old power plant, look how run down Ford is, and all of these this are in place now, so if the tourist trade is booming, with this current issues surrounding the area, why not let a quarry come in and increase the tax dollars. What about the amount of extra fuel that will be bought in Clark County, or food for lunches etc. The simple fact is the area isn't touristy, Maybe Winchester is but the area on the Clark County Side isn't going to loose anything with all of this other issues surrounding it.
New

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Not to be rude but your Permanent statement is a little off base, when I was a kid the boat that is sunk down by hall's used to be under the bridge, thats over 40 years, The paddle boat the other direction has been there for about 6 years, the trailor park has been there for 3 years empty. The old power plant has been there since the 50's. The empty lot beside the trailor park that grows up and has junk parked in it has been down there for 30 years, drive down amster grove thats a mess. The list goes on, do I care if they build a quarry, no,, do I think anyone should complain,, No,, not if they aren't going to clean up the messes that are there.
Build it

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Clark county has an advantage over most the counties in the area, That is 2 interstates are through it or near it. If you have this you need to take advantage of it, heck there should be a industrial park on the Clark Madision Line. Clark County isn't a huge tourist town. It has nice things/ and festivials, but those are in town. The city/county would have never built a sewage plant in that area if they truely seen a tourist attraction around it. So that pretty much say's the officials in town don't see what the locals see. The area was nice before 627, but now its just a few hills you pass doing 55.
interested

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2013

Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
The tourists that travel up 627 and cross the bridge from Madison County do not see trailer parks nor do they see half sunk boats. A money making business? at what expense? I mean we can have Oriental massage parlors on the Clark County side of the river (just like they do in Madison County) and because that is a money making business, you would be OK with that? Think about the dollars that are spent right here in Clark County with the tourists and my expectation is that we show them good quality- not a burping pile of limestone dust as they climb the hill. Oh by the way, the sewage plant (as you call it) was not one of my favorites either.
I call it a Sewage plant because thats what it is. I know many people call them Waste Water Treatment Plants. That was a P.R. move to make the public not complain as much. That took place back in the late 80's. But the same type of sewage passes through them as the so called WWTP. I know this for a fact, been the in the WWTP business since 1985. A pig by any other name is still a pig.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

52 Users are viewing the Winchester Forum right now

Search the Winchester Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 16 min ChromiuMan 123,022
Amber Taylor 51 min Amber 9
Homeschool ? 1 hr concerned parent 16
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Republicans Are Stupid 25,964
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Republicans Are Stupid 138,850
Sock Party at the Bat-Cave 2 hr Reality check 27
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 4 hr Ancient Wolf 81,233
•••
•••
•••
•••

Winchester Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Winchester People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE