Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,476

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#79716 Jun 3, 2012
Donna wrote:
Ok I am not a hater but I am a Christian and I am tired of being pushed aside for this crap we let Muslims pray 50 times a day to a non existent God at least in My eyes so why cant the Christians talk about Christ or study the bible? Who are you to think you are right if you are then why do we live in this sick world Hello ! How about some basic fundamentals for our kids to think upon? Or maybe think about some one other than them selves you are so selfish For God So Loved the World he Gave his only begotten son would you do that for me dont think so buddy so blow smoke some where else! Ohh a Christian that fights back sorry I have gay friends that bend over and that is their choice I still love them I do not hate them but I am not taking your ath_____ bs rectally anymore. I will only bend down on my knees for God and rarely my husband.
Want something for the kids to think about? How about some science?
By your reasoning, you would want Islam to be taught so the kids can think about it. But of course we know you do not want that. You just want your superstition taught because your churches are failing to trick them into the superstition.

“Memento mori”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#79717 Jun 3, 2012
RsKy wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan! Satan causes suffering.
Satan is just a patsy for God.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#79718 Jun 3, 2012
RsKy wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.
James Madison: Born March 16, 1751 Died June 28, 1836
So James Madison didn't have anything to do with Thanksgiving.
Ah, ok. Thank you for pointing that out.

My point still stands, though. I will have to research to see what it was that Madison said as President and later regretted, but it was related to the notion of the Federal Government promoting a religious idea. I just have a terrible memory and can't put my finger on what it actually was.

Location hidden

#79719 Jun 3, 2012
RsKy wrote:
<quoted text>
It wasn't until 1863, in the midst of the Civil War, that President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national Thanksgiving Day to be held each November.
James Madison: Born March 16, 1751 Died June 28, 1836
So James Madison didn't have anything to do with Thanksgiving.
Actually this isn't entirely correct. While an official Thanksgiving Day was not established until the 19th century, the idea of a "day of giving thanks" had been around for hundreds of years. George Washington issued an official proclamation to suggest an official thanksgiving day. Just read the Wiki page on it.

I haven't been able to locate the specific proclamation I'm referring to with Madison, but it was something he said as President during the War of 1812 that had a specifically religious nature that he later regretted saying because he felt it was NOT the role of government to dictate religious doctrine.

He and Jefferson were staunchly opposed to mixing government and religion. Washington and Adams were also opposed, but not to the same degree. They all agreed it was a very bad idea to support any religion with tax dollars.
RsKy

Jamestown, KY

#79720 Jun 3, 2012
Look at Israel/Jews and the middle east, and then say there is no God and the Bible is wrong.

“Memento mori”

Location hidden

#79721 Jun 3, 2012
RsKy wrote:
Look at Israel/Jews and the middle east, and then say there is no God and the Bible is wrong.
There is no God and the Bible is wrong.

How does Israel and the Jews prove the entire bible?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#79722 Jun 3, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you know that whole exodus and moses talking with god, I mean god went out of his way to help the israelites, thats gotta count for something, look how many people god killed so israel could exist. If god was not real and the bible is not his word, why write it, seems clear enough.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#79724 Jun 3, 2012
EssentialSalts wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think they would know better than to say that, wouldn't you, Salts?
But oh noooooo....we are just supposed to buy the bull like they did.
The Real Truth

Pikeville, KY

#79725 Jun 3, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Well, you know that whole exodus and moses talking with god, I mean god went out of his way to help the israelites, thats gotta count for something, look how many people god killed so israel could exist. If god was not real and the bible is not his word, why write it, seems clear enough.
why write it? Easy could of been a work of fiction, that some loons considered real after one to many rounds of booze.

“Memento mori”

Location hidden

#79726 Jun 3, 2012
The Real Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
why write it? Easy could of been a work of fiction, that some loons considered real after one to many rounds of booze.
Don't forget how they would starve themselves to the point of hallucinating.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#79727 Jun 3, 2012
The Real Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
It took god 6 days to create the known universe, and we have no way of knowing how much unknown god put out there, 6 days just imagine if you can. Now consider, it took 300 years for church leaders under gods divine inspiration to assemble the new testement, 300 years it took god working through man to get it done, no they were not loons, dimwitted maybe, but not loons.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#79728 Jun 3, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, but you work from the best information you have. If we didn't know about heliocentric and had no good tools for figuring it out, then geocentric WOULD be the best choice. It isn't about always getting the right answer, it's about the MOST PROBABLE way to get the right answer.
It's ok to be wrong for the right reason.
Take this whole Hell thing for instance. I reject it fully. There is no evidence AT ALL to support the idea of a real Hell. There is no theory to help explain it, no predictions could be made, and there is no way to falsify the idea. It is, of course, an allegorical concept or a metaphor. It's poetic. But it damn sure ain't real.
Now, if I turn out to be wrong it will be for the right reason. The only other choice is that I reject all reason and just have blind faith. If I do that I'm overwhelmingly more likely to be wrong.
I totally disagree that its just peachy to be wrong for the right reason... That leads to Doing Wrong for the right reasons,,, Which leads to snipping the red wire when it shulda been the blue wire...

I tend to throw Philosophy to the Wind and take the hard concept of having Physical Evidence that be Validated and Verified before I jump to a conclusion... I Know, I Think I Know or I do Not Know... I Never Believe... Too believe is to become Religious...
Stephanie

Russell Springs, KY

#79729 Jun 3, 2012
you best believe, you the man :)

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#79730 Jun 3, 2012
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>It took god 6 days to create the known universe, and we have no way of knowing how much unknown god put out there, 6 days just imagine if you can. Now consider, it took 300 years for church leaders under gods divine inspiration to assemble the new testement, 300 years it took god working through man to get it done, no they were not loons, dimwitted maybe, but not loons.
I tend to the view that the whole 7 day thingy comes from the Sumerian view that the Earth is the 7th planet counting from the outside inward.. Their story of Creation is that we were Genetically Engineered as worker by an Alien Race and were given knowledge of the solar system from those folks... They had all 9 planets plus 1 listed and named as far back as 4000 BC with notation of relative size and position with a central sun...

After that the many stories that later found their way into old biblical texts and were changed by those later story tellers to fit a more Magical construct...
Lordy

Frankfort, KY

#79731 Jun 4, 2012
RsKy wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan! Satan causes suffering.
Who created Satan?:D

Location hidden

#79732 Jun 4, 2012
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally disagree that its just peachy to be wrong for the right reason... That leads to Doing Wrong for the right reasons,,, Which leads to snipping the red wire when it shulda been the blue wire...
I tend to throw Philosophy to the Wind and take the hard concept of having Physical Evidence that be Validated and Verified before I jump to a conclusion... I Know, I Think I Know or I do Not Know... I Never Believe... Too believe is to become Religious...
We must be talking past each other a little bit. My worldview is informed mostly by reason and evidence, guided by what sense of right and wrong a godless heathen can have. Hah.

My point is that if you don't know which wire to snip and you decide to snip the red wire because it makes the most logical sense then you were wrong for the right reason.

What if you were working on a particular type of bomb that you'd seen many times before. In 8 out of 10 cases the red wire is the one you want to cut. But in this case, as reality would have it, the blue wire is the correct one. But for whatever reason there is no way you can determine that fact in time.

Why would you choose the blue wire? If you did, you would be ignoring all precedence and going against the evidence.

That's all I'm trying to say. We tend to go with the best evidence. When a claim is made that goes counter to nearly all the evidence, and that claim has flimsy evidence behind it, then why would you choose to support it over the prevailing theory? Especially if it was a claim of some extreme supernatural mojo.
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79733 Jun 4, 2012
Yiago wrote:
James Madison, principal author of the Constitution and our 4th President, was so committed to the idea of Church/State separation that he even resisted making any statements or addresses specifically for holidays. I think he did cave in and give some kind of holiday statement (Thanksgiving?) but later he said he regretted the decision as he felt it was outside the domain of his powers as President.
And yet there a lot of people running around today who claim the entire document was founded upon the Bible. It's shocking how ignorant people can be.
"It's shocking how ignorant people can be."
Yes... Yes it is!
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79734 Jun 4, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That sort of thing bugs me too. I've heard beloved family members make the same error in thinking. They hear of a person surviving a horrible car crash that killed everyone else and they say God was watching over them. My first reaction has always been to ask why he wasn't watching over the others too.
It gets back to the Problem of Suffering or the Problem of Evil, a philosophical issue that religion has never been able to deal with. If God is all power and all loving then why is there suffering?
It's probably because 'You' think Death is the end...
No one gets out alive!
There is evil out there... wanting you to hate God, or
disbelieve!
Those of us, that Knows God is real, don't really care how we go,
just knowing it's not the end!
A lone survivor of a plane crash saw at the last minute a passenger (Christian girl) was already gone before the impact!
Others just go to sleep...
Yes and Amen

Pikeville, KY

#79735 Jun 4, 2012
Donna wrote:
Pray hard this morning Christians God is so near I love my life but dream of seeing him daily look up because soon we will have to fight.
Scream Jesus is Your Lord and he will hear you . He died for you with nails in his hands and feet painful awful death these jerk offs are feeder fish for Lucy if er.
Be strong in Christ Christians.
If you ever want to change he will forgive you. Me on the other hand just kidding .... Christians can have a little since of humor
AMEN!
A Christian

Glasgow, KY

#79736 Jun 4, 2012
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>It's probably because 'You' think Death is the end...
No one gets out alive!
There is evil out there... wanting you to hate God, or
disbelieve!
Those of us, that Knows God is real, don't really care how we go,
just knowing it's not the end!
A lone survivor of a plane crash saw at the last minute a passenger (Christian girl) was already gone before the impact!
Others just go to sleep...
Your last sentence. Others just go to sleep. Am I understanding you? Are you thinking those not going to Heaven just go to sleep?
Surely not! This is a thread I have seldom come into. Too many scary people in here. Too many who do not believe in God. You say you know God is real, which is my reason for you saying 'others go to sleep'. We must pray for those who do not know God. They are headed for much suffering, if they do not take care of their eternity.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Winchester Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Winchester a pretty good while ago 12 min JohnS 8
Clark Energy 5 hr Curious 1
Walle Cooperation 7 hr G-Boy 2
HALLOWEEN CONTEST with The Jailhouse Comedian!!_{: 8 hr purplelady1040 111
cecily jett 8 hr rumor? 14
savannah hall 8 hr she's outta here 8
carpenters molesting kids on crowe ridge #2 13 hr jimmel 21
Winchester Dating
Find my Match

Winchester Jobs