Concerned Wilmo Citizen

Joliet, IL

#1 Jul 18, 2012
It is sad to see we are losing more city workers and police due to a recent layoff approved by our wonderful Wilmington City Council. Why is it they always layoff where we need the help the most? Gee...we never see layoffs or cut hours of any City Hall office employee. Hmmm....wonder why? We have more than enough staff working there and they never get touched. Just sad to see these layoffs approved.
Agreed

Wilmington, IL

#2 Jul 18, 2012
Maybe if the city council took a paycut others would be able to keep their jobs to support their families.
Nope

Coal City, IL

#3 Jul 18, 2012
Agreed wrote:
Maybe if the city council took a paycut others would be able to keep their jobs to support their families.
Alderman get like $45 per meeting. Even overestimating at one meeting per week, that's 45x52=$2340 for one alderman. That x8 alderman =$18,720. The mayor gets $6000 a year. So the mayor and the aldermen combined are making less than $24,720, given the generous estimate on the aldermen. I'm sure that's less than the salary of one police officer. It's hard (or at least should be) when you have to take somebody's job away, but we can make do with one less officer. Just hope they keep the better officers.

I'm not saying that the council shouldn't give themselves a paycut, as $45 per meeting is kinda high when the city is in such bad shape financially. However, when you have a $500,000+ deficit slashing pay to the council isn't going to save anybody else's job.
yup

Palatine, IL

#4 Jul 18, 2012
so what... there will be 99 cops in wilmington instead of 100? seems like there has always been a shit ton of cops in wilmington. driving nice new cars, s.u.v.'s and bicycles. maybe they should be driving cavaliers instead of chargers. that would prolly save a few jobs right there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wilmington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jimmy Vehrs at it again. 4 hr crooked stash 56
Basketball 2014-15 5 hr vballfan 5
WTF is Paul Passafiume thinking 7 hr concerned citizen 1
S. Division St. closed by police 9 hr George 2
Owner Rachetti's paying managers under the table 10 hr Observer 8
New Cop Redman at Jonezees 12 hr Tommy j 7
Raising Chickens 21 hr Want Fresh Eggs 20
Wilmington Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web